SCOTUS Overturns Ban on Same-Sex Marriage

siomasm

Jul 12, 2012
Woo great, fantastic. Cheers and "Good game" ass pats all around. But hailing this as "America joining the Civilized nations?" or some other momentous feat is just ridiculous. You would compare allowing people of the same sex to marry to...I don't know..abolishing slavery? Is that all it takes now to impress people?

This is little more than throwing people a bone in light of all the horrific violations of our personal lives they shove through on a daily basis. It's giving a glass of water to a many dying in a desert that you put him in, took away his house and filled in his well and expect him to think kindly of you for. =/

That aside I'm pretty sure there were still pastors willing to marry same sex couples, and legal procedures for something similar to marriage (as far as the state is concerned) as I recall. Sure it was illegal to marry and that's wrong, but was it ever really enforced? I don't really think so. This is hardly more than a dismissive nod of "Yeah sure, go ahead." On something they didn't actively enforce anyways.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
My favorite part was the NBC coverage yesterday, showing huge crowds cheering the decision, making out, wedding rings, etc, and then they talked about the opposition and showed like, two people with signs standing in the road. Had me laughing quite a bit.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
siomasm said:
Woo great, fantastic. Cheers and "Good game" ass pats all around. But hailing this as "America joining the Civilized nations?" or some other momentous feat is just ridiculous. You would compare allowing people of the same sex to marry to...I don't know..abolishing slavery? Is that all it takes now to impress people?

This is little more than throwing people a bone in light of all the horrific violations of our personal lives they shove through on a daily basis. It's giving a glass of water to a many dying in a desert that you put him in, took away his house and filled in his well and expect him to think kindly of you for. =/

That aside I'm pretty sure there were still pastors willing to marry same sex couples, and legal procedures for something similar to marriage (as far as the state is concerned) as I recall. Sure it was illegal to marry and that's wrong, but was it ever really enforced? I don't really think so. This is hardly more than a dismissive nod of "Yeah sure, go ahead." On something they didn't actively enforce anyways.
Except this was enforced.

This bill wasn't about whether or not homosexuals could marry, that's up to the states themselves to decide.

This bill was about whether or not homosexuals that did marry legally in their state would receive all the benefits the state gives to married couples, in this case not giving them at all. The state wasn't giving those benefits anyway even though this law existed, they weren't giving them. Even though homosexuals were legally married in the full sense of it, not even something differently named, the state, on a federal level, was denying them the things that every single other married couple does get in relation mainly to healthcare and taxes.

Gay marriage is still illegal in the states it was previously. It's still legal in the states it was previously. What's changed is how the federal state treats those married couples who happened to be homosexual.

It's of course not the end of all discrimination, but it's a large step forward nonetheless.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Oh marriage, what a weird archaic ritual. And yet it's legally recognized, how bizarre. I guess if we're going to continue this practice, we might as well make it available to everyone. I wonder how long it'll take for all the southern states to finally give in, it'll be slow at first, but once it reaches critical mass the last few states should turn pretty quickly.
Nobody wants to be known as the very last state to let go of a backwards ideology.

Tenmar said:
Umm as good as this is...why is this on a VIDEO GAME WEBSITE? I mean I get there is a politics/religion forum but that doesn't really mean you can post jack all in the news section. I mean I know news has just become posting what some other person has posted but really there is a reason people go to different websites that have a focus on a subject.

It would be like going to a bakery website and see in their news this article.
Are you serious? Dude, people talk about non video game stuff all the time on this site. With as many posts as you have you have to be aware of that.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Trishbot said:
Great. Now permit polygamy so I can stop worrying about whether Archie picks Betty or Veronica, incest so I can stop feeling awkward watching Luke and Leia in those earlier Star Wars movies, and bestiality so I can stop trying to justify Roger and Jessica Rabbit's union as okay because they're just "drawn" that way...
Ill take on this post! Polygamy? Why does it matter if it gets legalized? It would just make divorces more complicated. I don't care how many people get married to each other as long as it is not due to religion (because religion is a lie) or someone is forced into it.

Incest? Who cares? Again, as long as it's between concenting adults is fine with me. I don't even care if they have kids together. Never would partake myself, not my thing. And that risk about mentally handicapped kids? Well that is the parents responsibility. Hopefully eugenics come along soon.

Beastiality? Won't happen. Pure and simple.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Trishbot said:
Great. Now permit polygamy so I can stop worrying about whether Archie picks Betty or Veronica, incest so I can stop feeling awkward watching Luke and Leia in those earlier Star Wars movies, and bestiality so I can stop trying to justify Roger and Jessica Rabbit's union as okay because they're just "drawn" that way...
Hey, if you find anthropomorphic (or not necessarily even anthro) animals somewhere that are sentient in any way humans are, why should they not be able to get married and have sexual relations with humans?

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Certainly a step forward, but the US isn't there yet (neither are we over here, I'd much prefer this civil union stuff was done away with and we had marriage for all). Still, I think in the long run the US (as well as us and the rest of Europe) are on the right track, give it 20 or so years and I think the majority of homophobia will be done away with.

Kakistos153

Aug 9, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Conservative Americans should just accept that America is no longer a country under God.
The really funny thing is that it only became "one country under god" in the 1950's when some douche lawyer added it to the pledge and got an award for it. same for "in god we trust" that shits from the 1950's too. noone but baby boomers and perhaps their spawn give a shit about the country being christian. the founding fathers certainly didn't.
"What is it men cannot be made to believe!" -TJ
Also, woot. It really makes me mad that my gay friends don't get to enjoy marriage like i do.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Remus said:
DVS BSTrD said:
When it come to marriage, sooner or later it always ends-up being the same sex.
Robin Williams, like most of the last generation's comics, has always been well ahead of his time.
Come on guys, DADT first, DOMA second, lets make it a home run and declare The Patriot Act unconstitutional.
I'm really happy he brought up the Mormons.
If there's anything more ironic than Homophobic Christians/Jews who claim to be preaching a "religion of love and peace." It's a homophobic religious believer that supports multiple unions but thinks that gay marriage is an "attack" on their form of marriage.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
The7Sins said:
Except Mormons stopped practicing polygamy in 1890 and the members of the church hate polygamy as much as anyone else. Perhaps even more since they have first hand accounts of how unviable it is.
But still let us not let facts get in the way of a good religion bashing.
No, thank you. I had been misinformed due to my lack of research.

Quantumsheep

Aug 25, 2012
saintdane05 said:
With gay marriage now legal, men no longer have an incentive to marry women, as two husbands better fit in a horse costume.
Someone may have already pointed this out, but you stole that joke from Aaron Diaz of Dresden Codak.

http://dresdencodak.tumblr.com/

Come on, man. Credit where credit's due.

jaymiechan

Jun 27, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:
Good job America.

Now you can join the rest of the First World :D

I still can't quite grasp how this is even an issue, do people really have nothing better to do than concern themselves about which gender other people find attractive?
Just to quibble, we can only really join the First World when we have universal healthcare, a living wage, expanded paid vacation time, paid time off for pregnancy.....like Europe has.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
The fall of DOMA is probably a good thing. It was a lousy and poorly written law. It was also the Federal Government meddling someplace that it had no business. Most disturbing is the number of people who put it into being, that are cheering and claiming to be supporting credit for its fall. (Hello Bill Clinton! Who's signature was on that piece of shit?)

The California Prop 8 decision however is very very disturbing. And one that may end up having broad reaching consequences for the court. And quite frankly it was the height of stupidity. California's Prop 8 was something that would naturally correct itself through Democratic means. But because of the mechanism that the SCOTUS used, they have no effectively stripped the citizenry and the states of the right to change their laws and state constitutions via public referendum. They have essentially said that the public has no place or no rights regarding state law, it is exclusively the domain of the government. regardless of centuries old traditions and in place constitutions supporting it. The California left is celebrating this today. But once they sit down and think through the wider non marriage related pitfalls of the exact nature of this decision they will most likely become quite alarmed. It will burn both sides and strip out a major check and balance on government that has existed in most states west of the Mississippi since they joined the Union. Regardless of the effect the decision had on the Marriage issue, it was an incredibly bad calous and stupid legal decision. Probably one on par with Dredd Scott (Which if I recall correctly was handled in a similar way). They said that the citizenry does not have standing before the court to act to defend the laws that they pass. That's just chilling.