SCOTUS Overturns Ban on Same-Sex Marriage

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
The7Sins said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
The7Sins said:
Don't lump everyone into 2 groups. I'd call myself a liberal. But this is one of the 2 things I disagree with them and have to side with the Republicans on.
That doesn't change the fact that the group screaming for personal freedom is the one saying except where gays are involved. and women. and blacks. and mexicans."

Tell me, is this your stance? You seem quick to defend them.
No. The views of the Republicans towards women (especially towards abortion), and minorities is bullshit and why I have never voted for any running for a seat in Washington and only vote for them on local elections when forced due to them running unopposed.
However gay marriage needs to be banned on a federal level. Hell I'd also like to criminalize gay and lesbian acts however this is very very damn unlikely (unless Iran somehow conquers us lol) so I'll hope nay demand for what is actually possible and right. As I said I'm a liberal on all but 2 issues. Gay marriage being one of them obviously
It's quite okay for you to disagree with anything gay marriage related.
But when you say you want to criminalize same-sex activities, essentially what people do behind close doors, that is their business and not really anyone else's, you are no longer being conservative. You're being unlawful.

Azahul

Apr 16, 2011
The7Sins said:
piinyouri said:
The7Sins said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
The7Sins said:
Don't lump everyone into 2 groups. I'd call myself a liberal. But this is one of the 2 things I disagree with them and have to side with the Republicans on.
That doesn't change the fact that the group screaming for personal freedom is the one saying except where gays are involved. and women. and blacks. and mexicans."

No. The views of the Republicans towards women (especially towards abortion), and minorities is bullshit and why I have never voted for any running for a seat in Washington and only vote for them on local elections when forced due to them running unopposed.
However gay marriage needs to be banned on a federal level. Hell I'd also like to criminalize gay and lesbian acts however this is very very damn unlikely (unless Iran somehow conquers us lol) so I'll hope nay demand for what is actually possible and right. As I said I'm a liberal on all but 2 issues. Gay marriage being one of them obviously
But when you say you want to criminalize same-sex activities, essentially what people do behind close doors, that is their business and not really anyone else's, you are no longer being conservative. You're being unlawful.
I did also concede it was impossible it would ever get passed in this country. So I'll be happy to just have gay marriage banned on a federal level.
Do you mind if I ask why you think homosexuality should be illegal? It seems like a pretty extreme view for anyone to hold in this day and age.
Mimsofthedawg said:
Basically: At my university, I have several (not bigoted) professors who expressed the legitimate concern that gay marriage could lead to polygamy. Without going into to detail, I can definitely see their point.
Without presenting those same arguments, you're not exactly saying a whole lot. And I'm honestly very interested in what their reasoning is. As someone with friends in a polygamous relationship, I can honestly say that I hope the concerns of your professors pan out. It'd be lovely to see them get married.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The7Sins said:
Then, again, why the ease and speed with which you took another statement and threw in with them so quickly?

Because....ponies?

However though I think immigration does in fact need reform 1 thing and only 1 I will agree with the right on is those that have entered the country illegally (from wherever Mexico, Canada, Europe, Mars, etc.) need to be deported and any kids they have over here should not be an anchor that automatically get there parents citizenship.
That's super, chum. It doesn't change the conservative immigration policies of "target brown people" that are at hand. Immigration? Needs reform. Targeting people with brown skin solely because they have brown skin? Not acceptable. Saying that we can identify illegals based on their cultures or the clothes they wear in a culture that is called a melting pot and features all sorts of heritage celebrations (which are also only really vilified if brown people do them)? Not acceptable.

They go after "mexicans," which again only really means "brown skinned" or "latino." We've got several "breathing while brown" laws in this country which make virtually anyone who even might be latino suspect. Instead of actually working on immigration, they've been working on attacking brown people. A silly hateful little phobia.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
piinyouri said:
And quite literally persecuting an entire group of people. Makes it so weird that he claims what the Republicans do to women and minorities is "bullshit," since he's willing to go one step further.

TizzytheTormentor said:
So? Just because it doesn't have anything to do with gaming or geek culture directly doesn't make it un-newsworthy.

Besides, there are gay gamers/geeks who will find this news important to them.
It's also not unprecedented for the Escapist site OR the News Room. People only complain about this when it's something they personally don't like, such as gays.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Good job America.

Now you can join the rest of the First World :D

I still can't quite grasp how this is even an issue, do people really have nothing better to do than concern themselves about which gender other people find attractive?
well, one step in the right direction at least. but we're still too far from the mark to start raising any hopes.

Childe

Jun 20, 2012
I've never understood why people are so hyped up about this. If your not gay/lesbian then whether they marry or not is non of your business. Just leave well enough alone

Azahul

Apr 16, 2011
The7Sins said:
Azahul said:
The7Sins said:
piinyouri said:
The7Sins said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
The7Sins said:

I did also concede it was impossible it would ever get passed in this country. So I'll be happy to just have gay marriage banned on a federal level.
Do you mind if I ask why you think homosexuality should be illegal? It seems like a pretty extreme view for anyone to hold in this day and age.
Personal. But needless to say it has a lot to do with why I hate the Boy Scouts of America and would like nothing better than to see them bankrupt. Use your imagination.
Yeesh. My imagination turns up some pretty sick stuff. Even the worst of it, mind you, isn't really justification. The worst I can imagine still puts the theoretical victim in the same position as a a rape victim demanding heterosexuality be banned because he or she was raped by someone of the opposite gender. You're being unfair to the overwhelming majority of that sexuality.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The7Sins said:
I was merely reminding Bara no Hime and others on this site not to assume everyone who us against gay marriage is a Conservative loon.
I have absolutely no interest in defending Bara No Hime, but that's not what she was talking about and that's what I clarified. Again, you have NO reason to get defensive if it doesn't apply to you, and you claim it doesn't.

I like how you ignored the part where I said I find the racial profiling of the likes of Arpaio and Arizona politiicians appalling.
I merely addressed the more disturbing portion of your contradictory message. I like how you ignored most of my statements and directly avoided a straight question.

No pun intended.

I also love your very, very, very selective anti-prejudice stance. As much as I dislike the Republican stance on blacks, don't cast stones from a glass house, dude.

The7Sins said:
Personal.
If you're not going to actually elaborate, then maybe you shouldn't rant in the first place.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
So? Just because it doesn't have anything to do with gaming or geek culture directly doesn't make it un-newsworthy.

Besides, there are gay gamers/geeks who will find this news important to them.
It's also not unprecedented for the Escapist site OR the News Room. People only complain about this when it's something they personally don't like, such as gays.
Silly that some blame the Escapist for simply covering the story, especially when the article didn't show any bias for or against it, they simply covered the story professionally.

Being disappointed in the Escapist News Room for delivering news is silly. Especially since we have a multitude of different news, not just gaming/geek related news.
Honestly, its probably because of the conversation that follows it. If you look back through the pages, there is quite a lot of post that spew nothing but hate at anyone that doesnt agree with the decision, and MANY of the post should get a warning for what they said (but we know the mods, its ok to insult THOSE people)(EDIT: Yeah... I dont really have any malice against the mods, just tired of the republican/religious libel/slander that is let free, yet you cant say that a liberal would kill a fly).

I mean hell, people want discussion between different opinions, but look at the hate toward anything non-liberal/religious in R&P, and you wonder why there are some people who dont want this topics posted about.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
In the same session, the Court ruled 5-4 that the defendants in the case of California's "Proposition 8," which banned same-sex marriage but was later overturned as unconstitutional by the United States District Court, did not have standing in the court and thus dismissed it, effectively bringing same-sex marriage back to the state.
Hell yes! That piece of crap has been staining my state for too long.

Very nice of the Supreme Court to specifically mention it in addition to the greater news!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Childe said:
I've never understood why people are so hyped up about this. If your not gay/lesbian then whether they marry or not is non of your business. Just leave well enough alone
Indeed. I don't get it, but it's apparently srs bizness.

TizzytheTormentor said:
Silly that some blame the Escapist for simply covering the story, especially when the article didn't show any bias for or against it, they simply covered the story professionally.

Being disappointed in the Escapist News Room for delivering news is silly. Especially since we have a multitude of different news, not just gaming/geek related news.
At least this guy has admitted his prejudice....I guess.

I've seen a few people who have simply been "shame on you, this isn't gaming related." He had at least tacked on "and I think gays should be criminalised," so there's no real pretense.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
The7Sins said:
Why should it be criminalized? Honestly it makes no sense. What is so bad about me kissing a boyfriend if I ever get another one? It doesnt make me evil. Heck I would Im a pretty good guy. I just don't understand that standpoint, it literally doesnt harm anyone, so i dont see why I should be a criminal for doing it.