Scythes in Games

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Belated said:
The scythe.

So epic.
We don't talk about the scythe often enough on this forum site. Scythes are just awesome. Scythes are sharp, pointy, and come in all kinds of different designs depending on who's drawing them. Scythes are intimidating, harbingers of death. And whether you're death himself [http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2TVMxnrSCKY/TRDNyY212iI/AAAAAAAARMs/awPc2GYwBtQ/s1600/GrimReaper.jpg], or you just work for him, [http://gallery.fanserviceftw.com/_images/72ce1bfb8bb9e0e07d3863c3f3dfa0a5/741%20-%20maka_albarn%20soul_eater%20wallpaper.jpg] there's no denying the pure badassery of the scythe. They're just plain cool.

If you're into anime, there's plenty of scythes to be found. But what about video games? We had Dante [http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/dante_s_inferno.jpg], and we had Ryu Hayabusa [http://gaygamer.net/images/ryustatue.jpg], and we had Zasalamel [http://www.fightersgeneration.com/characters4/zasa-sc3-big.jpg]. And we've had plenty of others. The scythe is to blades, what the desert eagle is to guns. It's an awesome, impractical weapon mostly chosen for aesthetic purposes. And though they sometimes seem childish, you secretly love them. I'm always disappointed when a fantasy game involving swordplay doesn't have scythes. Sure lots of games have had them, but I feel like it's not enough. I need more scythes! More more more!

Maybe I just play too many shooters, and simply don't know about enough games that have scythes. So, what are some good games that have awesome scythe usage? What are some upcoming titles you hope will have scythes?

For one, I'm really hoping Bethesda will think to include them in Skyrim.

EDIT: I didn't think I'd need to clarify this. I thought it was implied. But FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, YES! I know it's a damn farming tool! I'm AWARE. You don't need to tell me! How stupid do you think I am? Did you honestly think I believed it was originally designed to be a weapon? That's just silly! Anyway, what it was designed for should have no bearing whatsoever on what it's used for within a video game. Absolute video game realism at all times is for squares!
Thing is for a realistic see every swing game by bethesda they just cannot have a scythe because the animation would look really really dumb. I can pretty much promise in ALL games where someone has a scythe it is swung, the screen flashes, a red line appears and a cut is made, and this applies to animes as well. Its because a scythe (a regular one) cannot cut in a horizontal line. The most you can manage is a weak sort of side stab that looks FREAKING LAME. This is why skyrim cannot have scythes and in fact any realistic game cannot include them. The animation of the attack has to be dressed up and edited to make it not seem stupid but detracting from realism.

it is IMPOSSIBLE to cut with the inside blade in a way that isnt stupid looking as hell, also in realistic games like ninja gaiden i can promise the only reason it gets away with it is because there is so much going on all at once and the animation is made to almost look right so people dont notice.

EDIT: Just booted ninja giaden up to take a look. It makes purple line follow the scythes path and pretend that cuts instead. Also the blade is insanely thick (vertically, its a very tall blade) meaning it could just about look like its making horizontal cuts. Wouldnt work in oblivion though. Just look awkward.

Jun 11, 2008
Fuck Scythes I want my god damn spears back in Elder Scrolls game and Medium Armour. Why can't I have that Bethesda is it too much choice to make the system unbalanced or to keep it simple for new people? I don't think anyone is stupid enough not be able to handle two more skill like that. Streamlining my arse.

DoctorFrankenStein

Jul 4, 2011
I LOVE scythes and sickles. As for their practicality I'll turn to the master scribe, Terry Pratchett-
"Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome."

As for the video games. There's two in the Soul Eater Resonance game; Maka and Soul obviously pack a punch. But if you're playing as Stein and can build yourself up for a special move you can call on Spirit the Deathscythe and chop off at least half your opponents life bar with him.
Another of my favorite scythe users is a bit more obscure. I love playing as Testament from the Guilty Gear X and X2 fighters for the old Xbox. I'd do him as a cosplay if I was in better shape. [His costume exposes his midriff.]
And this isn't exactly a scythe, but I still like it- There is a sickle to be found in the Ascension zombie map for COD Black Ops. It's especially satisfying if I'm playing as Dr. Richstofen at the time. >:]

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Arontala said:
BiscuitTrouser said:
Belated said:
The scythe.

So epic.
We don't talk about the scythe often enough on this forum site. Scythes are just awesome. Scythes are sharp, pointy, and come in all kinds of different designs depending on who's drawing them. Scythes are intimidating, harbingers of death. And whether you're death himself [http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2TVMxnrSCKY/TRDNyY212iI/AAAAAAAARMs/awPc2GYwBtQ/s1600/GrimReaper.jpg], or you just work for him, [http://gallery.fanserviceftw.com/_images/72ce1bfb8bb9e0e07d3863c3f3dfa0a5/741%20-%20maka_albarn%20soul_eater%20wallpaper.jpg] there's no denying the pure badassery of the scythe. They're just plain cool.

If you're into anime, there's plenty of scythes to be found. But what about video games? We had Dante [http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/dante_s_inferno.jpg], and we had Ryu Hayabusa [http://gaygamer.net/images/ryustatue.jpg], and we had Zasalamel [http://www.fightersgeneration.com/characters4/zasa-sc3-big.jpg]. And we've had plenty of others. The scythe is to blades, what the desert eagle is to guns. It's an awesome, impractical weapon mostly chosen for aesthetic purposes. And though they sometimes seem childish, you secretly love them. I'm always disappointed when a fantasy game involving swordplay doesn't have scythes. Sure lots of games have had them, but I feel like it's not enough. I need more scythes! More more more!

Maybe I just play too many shooters, and simply don't know about enough games that have scythes. So, what are some good games that have awesome scythe usage? What are some upcoming titles you hope will have scythes?

For one, I'm really hoping Bethesda will think to include them in Skyrim.

EDIT: I didn't think I'd need to clarify this. I thought it was implied. But FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, YES! I know it's a damn farming tool! I'm AWARE. You don't need to tell me! How stupid do you think I am? Did you honestly think I believed it was originally designed to be a weapon? That's just silly! Anyway, what it was designed for should have no bearing whatsoever on what it's used for within a video game. Absolute video game realism at all times is for squares!
Thing is for a realistic see every swing game by bethesda they just cannot have a scythe because the animation would look really really dumb. I can pretty much promise in ALL games where someone has a scythe it is swung, the screen flashes, a red line appears and a cut is made, and this applies to animes as well.
I take it that you've never watched Soul Eater? The scythe animations are pretty good.
Sir i am disgusted and appalled. I am on episode 28 of soul eater and i love every goddam second. Except when black star is on screen... or Excalibur. Tempted to talk about them here. However Maka only looks good because of the insane acrobatics she pulls and the fact that, as stated, usually there is a line flash and a cut is made despite soul only brushing the pointy bit against the enemy. The animations are awesome because Maka is some kind of insane gymnast. Oblivion doesnt work like flippy insane actiony gymnastics. Its basic swing and stab. Scythes cannot do that. Unless being wielded by a complete ninja who can cut by swinging and flipped around while holding the scythe. Bethesda cannot do this.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Mittens The Kitten said:
Scythes are a farming implement, its amazing that any are weapons in games.
I'de like to have a combine harvester in an FPS during a vehicle section, now THAT would be good use of farm equipment.
actually, i can think of several that use forklift trucks
so you're not too far off popular with that idea!

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Belated said:
So were tonfas and nunchucks.

I agree, we need more scythes.

FuktLogik

Jan 6, 2010
Mittens The Kitten said:
I'd like to have a combine harvester in an FPS during a vehicle section, now THAT would be good use of farm equipment.
Well, there was that one mission in GTA SA. Good times.

Hides His Eyes

Jul 26, 2011
teebeeohh said:
scythes are incredibly impractical weapons because due to their length they are rather cumbersome, their weight is not well balanced and they don't even use the advantage the length could give them.
sure death uses one but he is fucking death, he is past the point of practicality.
So yeah, go for scythes as focusing items for mages and/or scifi weapons that shoot multi-colored flavors of lightning but as a practical weapon? no.
Are you serious? Obviously it depends on how big a priority realism is in the game in question.

Hides His Eyes

Jul 26, 2011
Rex Dark said:
Belated said:

And sai, and kama, and the bo staff was a fisherman's oar. Yep, more scythes :D

A scythe weaponmaster in Neverwinter Nights was a wonderful character build. Stupidly high damage.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
I think I like Flails better. They serve the same combat purpose of a Scythe but do it in a much practical and awesome way, especially if it's a morning-star.
An example? Nothing comes to mind. sorry.
FuktLogik said:
Mittens The Kitten said:
I'd like to have a combine harvester in an FPS during a vehicle section, now THAT would be good use of farm equipment.
Well, there was that one mission in GTA SA. Good times.
Damn, I loved that section. They made detailed body parts and blood splatters come out of the other end! Great mission.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Hides His Eyes said:
Rex Dark said:
Belated said:

And sai, and kama, and the bo staff was a fisherman's oar. Yep, more scythes :D

A scythe weaponmaster in Neverwinter Nights was a wonderful character build. Stupidly high damage.
I did that in NWN2...

roguetrooper96

Feb 26, 2010
Mittens The Kitten said:
Scythes are a farming implement, its amazing that any are weapons in games.
I'de like to have a combine harvester in an FPS during a vehicle section, now THAT would be good use of farm equipment.
I can't remember which one but I know that one of the serious sam games had the Serious Combine tucked away in a bonus level somewhere.

OT: I agree that scythes are very underused, every concept artist does his own individual scythe design, or at least I never seem to see two of the same design.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
get ready for bad spelling/grammar and bad ideas

the Scythe is a farming tool and probably not practical youd have to make some serious design changes.

make it out of modern materials to lighten it.

shorten the staf part, (like the league of legends pic someone posted earlier)

shorten the blade and make it thinner, increase the angle of the blade (keep it to one side though again like that league of legends picture only a thinner less ornate blade)

possibly (depending on how the durability is effected) make the angle of the blade adjustable from being a regular scythe to more like a glaive.

might even consider making the blade part more sword like (attaching it via the hilt part of the blade allowing for some of the length to come from that with less metal involved) it could even be removable for use as a normal sword whenever using the scythe wouldnt be practical.

attach a smaller spear like blade to the end of the scythe so even in its regular scythe configuration you still have a straight thrusting ability, it would have to be slightly off to one side though to accomidate the glaive configuration. (also with the spear attachment its still a spear when you remove the sword part)

make the blade double edged but not razor sharp so you can still hold the blade if you have to.

ok Im done you can flame me now oh and one last thing DO NOT TRY TO DUEL WEILD IT

Dan DePuy

Jun 15, 2011
Gaiseric said:
Dan DePuy said:
sanquin said:
@Dan DePuy:
Battle scythes aren't shaped liked regular farming scythes though. But your point does still stand. It's like a hallbert, but less effective. Just not as less effective as you claim it to be.
This would be a good point, but a battle scythe is not a thing. At no point in history has any culture ever used a scythe as a weapon. If you still disagree, I await your attempt at using a scythe in this manner. A halberd can cut in multiple directions and be utilized and maneuvered in the way a quarterstaff is used. A scythe, as a weapon, could cut at or around the knee level of your enemy. That is it. It has no defensive utility nor can a missed cut be followed up with another, and the haft is curved and too cumbersome to be used as a staff.
The Dacians used the falx(a war scythe or sickle) against the Romans to good effect. The Romans added reinforcing crosspieces to their helmets because the falx could split the helmet open and changed their armor to better protect against it.
The falx is not a scythe. The haft is not at a right angle to the blade like a scythe. The haft is shorter and not curved. This is a different weapon altogether - much more like the halberd or naginata as I mentioned above.