Scythes in Games

Theron Julius

Nov 30, 2009
From a realistic perspective halberds or glaives would be much more common, however scythes were not completely unused in war:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_scythe

They were essentially a poor man's halberd. A war scythe is usually created from a standard farming scythe that any peasant would probably have. Usually the only real difference was that the blade would extend upright from the pole rather than pointing out to the side.

So thus it's completely feasible for a game which is claiming to be realistic to have scythes as weapons. They wouldn't be very common unless there was some sort of peasant uprising or something of that sort, but it's not impossible or terribly unlikely.

Zyxx

Jan 25, 2010
LarenzoAOG said:
In fact, I want to see less scythes in video games, and I want to see a Grim Reaper like entity with a sword, or hell, even a gun, how awesome would that be? Grim Reaper who kills with a revolver or something, hold on I'm gonna write this down...
Persona 3, if you wait around in the dungeon (the game only has one)long enough, a powerful boss called the Reaper shows up, and your support character will warn you that she "senses Death is nearby." He uses 2 revolvers with ridiculously long barrels. He's in Persona 4 as well, hiding in chests.

teh_Canape said:
how about the one in Undying?
Very glad somebody mentioned that. To elaborate further for interested readers, the Scythe of the Celt is a story-vital weapon which really doesn't get the exposition it deserves. If the fact that it is the only thing which can kill the game's major enemies ever actually comes up in dialogue, I must have missed it. Besides decapitating bosses, the Scythe has a cool "frenzy" mode which also turns it into a vampiric weapon (restores your health when you slay an enemy). Plus, it's a switchblade.

Other cool scythes which come to mind belong to Horny the Horned Demon from Dungeon Keeper (also a switchblade) and to Testament from Guilty Gear, which I'm pretty sure is made out of his own blood.

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
Mittens The Kitten said:
Scythes are a farming implement, its amazing that any are weapons in games.
I'de like to have a combine harvester in an FPS during a vehicle section, now THAT would be good use of farm equipment.
Interestingly enough, most weapons start as simple tools. Swords pretty much started out as a length of wood with sharpened rocks stuck in it.

I too love scythes, but as a weapon, they are rather impractical. In order to successfully wield one, a person would have to train extensively with it.

infinity^infinity

Aug 4, 2011
I have used a scythe before when i stayed with my grandma; and to those who say it is not a practical weapon have not really used one before. They are incredibly sharp and the momentum from swinging around a six-ish foot pole with a ten pound blade at the end is devestating. If you look at it, it is basically an ax with the blade turned ninety degrees and a pointy end that, trust me, hurts like hell if it stabs you.

To the actual topic however, there is a scythe in WoW and also diablo 2 had a scythe weapon class and those are the only ones I can recall besides the aforementioned Dante's Inferno.

Averant

Jul 6, 2010
Sure, but the better scythe wielders are usually double-wielders as well. For example:

Helps that the handles are shortened.

Zetsubou^-^

Mar 1, 2011
scythes as weapons are flawed in RL only because the slashing motion you have to do with them are almost always going to be

1:horizontal or diagonal
2:slow because of the wind up for the big swing to gain momentum.
3:reliant on the target being already in or moving into your slash zone, and not moving back, forward or interrupting it by blocking/parrying/noming on your taters while your fulfilling numbers 1&2.

otherwise they are just a variant of polearm/staff. maybe a double-edged blade, changing size/angle of the blade or other addition to the scythe can combat some of its flaws, but everyone already admits that its not there to be the best. in games they are not any worse than any other weapon, because you can tune them to be better, same or worse.

as for scythes in games,

.hack//gu 2&3, darkstalkers II should have plenty, ninja gaiden, dante's inferno, devil may cry had scythe enemies aplenty, otherwise its generally an uncommon weapon to find in games.

any yes, they are awesome.

Karma168

Nov 7, 2010
Well Mortarion, one of the Space Marine Primarchs in Warhammer 40K wields a scythe as his main weapon.

Having a 9+ foot tall giant bearing down on you with one of those wouldn't be something to laugh at

the-kitchen-slayer

Apr 16, 2008
Alright, Scythes are great in fantasy. People have made their point it's impractical as a weapon, others have brought up the existance of the war-scythe, there's my nod to them

As for my say: I personally likes scythes. But then again, I also really like the Grim Reaper. They kinda go hand in hand thanks to the whole mythos (let's face it, his name is the Grim REAPER, and farmers used to Reap wheat with a scythe, hence the connection)

Now, I notice people say they'd like to see them more in games. I agree, in the sense that they're fun fantasy weapons (especially energy scythes, mmm...), but what I want to see in the Europe-based mideval games is the War-Scythe popping up. Haven't seen one in any games as far as I can tell. But then again, my list of games I've played isn't as extensive as I'd like it to be

the-kitchen-slayer

Apr 16, 2008
Karma168 said:
Well Mortarion, one of the Space Marine Primarchs in Warhammer 40K wields a scythe as his main weapon.

Having a 9+ foot tall giant bearing down on you with one of those wouldn't be something to laugh at
Don't forget that it's a Chain-scythe. Warhammer's kinda Chainsaw Crazy (you can see the teeth at the end of the scythe). So, even scarier I suppose, seeing as that blade-angle is even nastier to deal with

Wintermute_

Sep 20, 2010
...*sigh*

While scythes are pretty freakin cool in terms of what you can do for the aesthetic appeal of the very stylized weapon, I will say this: I hate scythes. I'm sick of their ilk in every facet of games and geek media or entertainment. They. are. absolutely. RIDICULOUS.

I can not stand when a character takes a scythe as a weapon in D&D, for example. Are you fucking kidding me? That is the least practical, least effective weapon you could have grabbed! If you had to choose between a sword or a scythe to go fight the ork that is for some reason outside your house, what do you think is the better option?

Scythes are only chosen for the aesthetic appeal. They get more ridiculously shaped and overdone the more powerful they are presumed to be (albeit... this is true for most weapons in almost any fantasy setting. Fucking Final Fantasy).

Why?! Why scythes! Its just such a bad idea! grab a spear! that has reach and you can jab rather then take a huge, laborious swing. It just...

screw it, I could go on forever about how I wish death to the tend of ridiculous looking scythe weapons that people choose... same goes for swords that are about the size of the person swinging it. Except for Gutz.

zerobudgetgamer

Apr 5, 2011
Averant said:
Sure, but the better scythe wielders are usually double-wielders as well. For example:

And that those are axes. Look closely, the front edge of those things are sharpened.

Theron Julius said:
From a realistic perspective halberds or glaives would be much more common, however scythes were not completely unused in war:

They were essentially a poor man's halberd.
You debunked your own statement. Although it's called a "scythe" it could be better classified as a different type of polearm. The main driving point everyone in the Against pile is screaming is that the definitive <url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scythe>Scythe is difficult/uncomfortable to wield, unbalanced, and, without modification a relatively poor weapon compared to other unmodified tools (See Machete, Hatchet, Sledgehammer, Pickaxe, etc.)

OK, now to jump back on the other side of the fence.

Raddra said:
I remember back in NWN I used to get really frustrated when I saw people weaponmastering Scythes for the x5 crit and actually being viable since I knew that scythes don't work in combat. At all.
I may not have played NWN (Flame me if you must) but it's a video game. And the world of Video games states that a piece of metal as large or larger than its wielder, and typically crafted in some of the most gaudy forms imaginable, is a better, more viable option than picking up a simple-yet-expertly crafted sword of regular size and shape, and in some cases the game will even allow you to DUAL-WIELD these two-man behemoths and actually do better than dual-wielding, say, a pair of short swords.

Arluza said:
.//Hack G.U (starting with episode 2) has scythes as a weapon choice. I REALLY love them in this game.
I actually thought GU did one of the best renditions of scythes out there. Slow, medium damage rate, not a lot of combo ability, but capable of sweeping through half the battle zone in a single swing. Too often I see scythes being wielded like spears, with fancy spins and movements like they're not some ungodly horror to wield. No, in GU, your scythe could swing twice, once to the left, then once to the right (or vice versa, I can't recall) and then you held the X Button and swung one last time and sent a few discs reeling forward, and all three strikes were slow and arced WIDE. You knew your best option for DPS was to dual-wield your daggers, and that Scythes were better suited to taking down groups or for those rare occurrences when something was actually weak to scythes (Again, game logic, don't try to explain it, you'll only waste our time further).

For the record, I like Scythes, but I'm a polearm fan in general, so I'll typically make a beeline for whatever class uses them, regardless of what form they take.

tofulove

Sep 6, 2009
iconic scythe, good weapon no, bad ass looking weapon indeed. although allot of polearms were based on scythes, refined for military use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pole_weapon

tilt the blade back and you have your self a effective polearm, great for taking out calvary.

if it was good enough for the polish uprisings, its good enough for you.

tofulove

Sep 6, 2009
commodore96 said:
not a video game but the coolest gundam ever uses them, and I think you can get them as a weapon in Phantasy Star Online.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mobile_Report_Gundam_Wing:_Endless_Duel

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
Belated said:
Souplex said:
We've been over this before; Scythes are a poor choice for a weapon, and those who think otherwise have poor opinions.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.70517-Scythes#694172
Uh, yeah, I don't really care what you've "been over" before. If I wasn't there, it might as well never have happened. Science can decide that it's not a practical weapon, but there is no science that can decide whether it is or isn't a "poor choice" as one in a video game. That is pure opinion based on aesthetics and aesthetics alone. Aesthetics, as in beauty. And beauty is rarely scientific. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And "eye of the beholder" is another way of saying "purely subjective." Thus, as it's something purely subjective, there are no "poor opinions" about it, positive or negative.
Scythes are farming equipment, the reason the Grim Reaper/Death is often shown with one is because of the symbolism of harvesting souls.

As one person put it in the previous thread, their a cheap short-hand for linking things to death and making them more gothy.

Desperately impractical weapons with substantial connotations of farm labourer - not cool in my book.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Scythes are large and impressive and they are synonymous with the Grim Reaper. They suck as weapons though. They're farming tools.

You know what I'd REALLY like to see? A weapon-ized garden weasel, as long as we're on the subject of farming implements being used as weapons.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
The scythe is a farming tool, not a weapon.
Sure, you could in theory use it as a weapon, but that would be a bad idea since its... well, NOT DESIGNED TO BE.
I think its not in many games because of the fact that its so damn hard to make animations for...

Astiahl

May 2, 2011
Averant said:

Technically those are Kama...which to be fair are just smaller Scythes that can actually make effective weapons if need be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kama_%28weapon%29

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
Scythes are pretty awesome...

I only know a few games that include scythes:

Dante's Inferno
Anarchy Online (There are 2 laser scythes in it)
Demon's Souls (The War Scythe, not as awesome as regular scythes since it has the modified blade and is essentially a spear used like a halberd)
World of Warcraft (The level 50 Warlock quest gives a staff with a scythe graphic, some random drop polearms in The Burning Crusade have scythe graphics and there is an event boss (I think either winter or halloween) that gave an epic staff with a scythe graphic or at least did for a couple of years)

I think the main reason that scythes are underused is because they need quite unique animations to look right (Both Anarchy Online and WoW use the same animations as other weapons as the same type I.E 2 hand edged/Stave/Polearm which makes them look silly since they often have stabbing animations...)

Games I'd like to have scythes in:
Skyrim
Guild Wars 2

Also all those people saying "Scythes cannot be weapons because they're too impractical" and then also saying how silly it is for people to use them in games in which you can engulf your hand in flames to send a ball of fire at your opponents... (Seriously, if you want to make someone combust, do what Galerians do and excite the molecules around your target so they burst into flames... :p )

Alucard832

Sep 6, 2010
OK, scythes are confirmed for silly IRL weapons, but do you wanna keep all the badassery (even more, really) of a scythe, but still have a wonderfully useful tool for killing? Pick up a kusari-gama.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Not sure if already mentioned but Arumat from Star Ocean: The Last Hope wields a giant laser scythe with multiple blades XD making him my favorite character.