Seattle's Protector Causes Tension in Superhero Community

Angerwing

Kid makes a post...
Jun 1, 2009
I think the RLSH are just douchey losers. Sure, feeding homeless people is great, but that's Humanitarianism 101, and there's absolutely no need to wear a superhero costume for that. The whole purpose is to protect their identity, and spread an image of power. Again, no need if you're just giving bread to some homeless guys. And Knight Owl? Give me a fucking break.

ryai458

Oct 20, 2008
Pilkingtube said:
This is the first time i've heard of this guy, is he famous in the USA or just Seattle?
I think just Seattle, I live in the USA and I have never heard of this nut.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Scrumpmonkey said:
ZombieGenesis said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
Perhaps these people don't realise just how silly they look? want to help your city? Volunteer to work with the homless, donate and help staff a soup kitchen or any number of community projects that help tackle the casues of why there is crime. Train as a councilor or become qualified to volenteer your time doing social work. These are not flashy, people do them every day week in and week out, but they do more good than showing off in a silly costume to people.

I don't think their actions deter crime or really inspire people, want to fight crime? Join the police. They are more functional than you think and their processes stop you and others from being put in unncessary danger. I find him little more than adnagerous fantasist.
This is entirely true, and that's pretty undeniable.

However it doesn't stop the fact that people dressing as super heroes and fighting crime is both useful and entertaining. Sure it's pretty mad, and by no means practical, but in the modern age what else can we expect? It was only a matter of time before Watchmen and Kick Ass became a real situation.
The reason why superheroes work in fiction is either because of 1. Actual Super-powers or 2. Fictional tech that does not exist and that the hero only has acess to ala Batman, nightowl etc.

In the real real world a well-equpied police officer can do just as much as these "Superheroes" can. In that situation where is their use? There are reasons superheros are fictional. The most glaring of them being that special powers and gadets don't actually exist in the real world. Where gadets do exist they have usually been developed with police forces and millitary in mind.

There is also the issue of what can these 'superheores' actually do? They don't have power of arrest, they are acting illegaly themselves for one, they don't have the capaicty to build up a knowledge and relationship with their community like more local police-forces can. A lot of times when police are called in a lot of talking and detail collection needs to take plce to get stories straight and 9/10 the subject is resolved through talking it out with officers and maybe issuing a caution. Real police work goes hand in hand with community work and needs to do the most good. A costumed egotist can do none of this.

Best case scenario; he interupts a crime. But he can only do that where he actually is, normal law-enforcement can do this 10x better as can normal citizens. Any one of us could be in the right place at the right time and stop a mugging just as well as he could simply by startling the person. i don't see use in claiming to be a 'superhero'.
You seem to misunderstand- from what I've read these people don't claim superpowers or unreal technology. Jones himself carries bulletproof equipment and a tazer and tear gas supply. Now I can admit that any police offer with their own equipment would be considerably better at stopping a crime (no less because they ARE police, and thus the imposition of law enforcement is already there) but that's the very point. He CAN stop crimes that happen around him, and he's even stated that essentially he is a normal person on the street but that he wishes to uphold the idea that a normal person doesn't have to 'do nothing'.

Now I don't say I agree with him, but if we disregard the suit, is he really anything different from any other law enforcing body? There's already videos and articles about crimes he's stopped, such as car break ins, muggings and even being held up at gunpoint at one stage. I don't care about his principles (or the suit) because if an average person on the street is willing to stand up to that, they're a hero by my books.

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
New Troll said:
Fasckira said:
Seriously though Im pretty sure Jones is well aware of the dangers yet hes still taking the risk to help others. I applaud the guy in all his efforts. The RLSH is also doing something noble, dont get me wrong, but I still think Jones is doing the most impact here.
Agreed. He knows what he's doing (at least for the most part) and even if he does get badly injured or even killed, he will do so gladly doing what he enjoys.

If that is anyone's main excuse for debating his actions, then they would also have to disagree with half the world who enjoys extreme sports and/ or the military.

My only issue with his actions is his extent. Is he going to be breaking laws in his crime-fighting? It's almost inevitable if he's to remain successful. In which case, then he'd be in the wrong, no matter how much I personally support his actions.
he actually isnt and the reason people are worries is because he is fighting criminals via had to hand.

I cant help but feel we are being led on a publicity stunt with these guys

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
If comic books thought me anything during the next story arc we'll find out the RLSH was actually a front for villains who want to stop superheroes from functioning by staging a PR war. Don't give in Phoenix! Even though nobody might believe now, you eventually you will earn redemption when you expose their evil ways!

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Some kevlar lined with this awesome stuff that disperses any impact (Billy Mayes let a car run over his hand with some of this stuff on it and didn't even feel it, it's being used for construction boots or some shit like that) and they could just ignore bullets which from what I understand is terrifying.

Therefore these RLSH guys are idiots.

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
The road to Hell, as they say, is paved with good intentions. Vigilantes always mean well, but the longer they're around the more likely it is that they'll do just as much harm as good. Specifically regarding this guy, how long until a criminal prosecution is botched because he accidentally corrupted evidence or didn't follow procedure? more than one known crook has been let go on technicalities like that.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I agree with him actually, I think the guys in RLSH are just community volunteers with a gimmick when you get down to it, not super heroes. A super hero is pretty much by definition a costumed vigilante.

That said, given that this guy operates so publically, I don't think he has it quite right either. So far we have yet to see "the real deal" appear, though I think things are moving forward. It will be interesting to see what happens.

That said I still think the most effective super hero was a guy crusading against out of control police ridiculousness called "Angle Grinder Man" (seriously). He wore a costume and went around with an Angle Grinder removing boots from cars in an area where the police were being idiots about it.

Benny Blanco

Jan 23, 2008
From a quick look at the RLSH website and the costume links off it I think this kind of thing is delusional at best.

No that any one of us can claim we haven't at one time had a fantasy about "cleaning up the streets of (insert city here)" but in a spandex outfit you'd get killed.

Even the guy who did it in Brum got the shit kicked out of him and frankly that was just about the best he could hope for. In a city with a lot of violent crime (Detroit, Baltimore, Juarez etc.) you'd probably just get shot for your trouble.

I would at least have expected a link to something like this:

http://www.bladerunner.tv/

Some degree of low-profile ballistic/blade protection would be a must, as well as some serious combat training.

Not to mention that vigilantism is strictly speaking illegal and with good reason. A state is defined by the monopoly on the legitimate use of force within its borders. Anywhere where this kind of activity is a matter of course might be considered a failed state.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
the guy's doing good deeds, and i'm glad that there are some people who are actually out there fighting crime, but i think he might be just slightly in over his head. he better know full well that he puts his ass on the line otherwise he's gonna end up shiting himself in the end. if he's been shot, i think it's about time he upgraded his arsonal to a bit more powerful stuff

ps, i mostly just find this hilarious

Altanese

Mar 17, 2010
Well we've already had one extreme- "This guy is nuts and he and the RLSH people should stop LARPing while pretending they're heros."

Everything else has been mostly a middle ground.

SO! I'll go ahead and put the other extreme out there: Vigilante justice is a good thing, and I see no problem with either making it more lethal or making the justice system far more draconian and authoritarian. Why? Because criminals are the scum of society. They are bad people who you would be better off calling 'rabid animals' than 'humans', and what do you do with rabid animals...? Fascism, my friends, is the only true way to ensure peace, order, and stability.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
I like reading the comments here about all this stuff and comparing it to people being crazy and certain abortion doctors being killed. There is a clear difference, these people are operating within the law, they aren't killing anyone, they don't carry lethal weapons, it's called a citizens arrest.

If they want to run around in costume feeding/helping the homeless or stopping lesser crimes then go for it. They seem pretty well informed of their rights and the rights of those they catch. They really have to be, or else they would get their pants sued off a hundred times over. It is a little narcissistic and a part about living their own fantasy but I'm fine with that as long as he remains inside the law and doesn't go around with lethal force and the intent to use it.