Second Photo of Rumored PS4 Controller Emerges

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Second Photo of Rumored PS4 Controller Emerges

Earlier photo gains credibility as a new version makes an appearance.

We first brought you word of the rumored PS4 controller photo yesterday afternoon, and it hasn't taken long for a second image to emerge. This one appears to have originated on the GameTrailers forums, where an anonymous poster has "confirmed" that the controller is indeed that of the PS4. This supports other reports from across the web where trusted insiders have spilled the beans on the new design.

Showing what appears to be the same design as the first device, this photo offers a new angle, showing thicker controller grips as well as the now clearly-visible start/select buttons located to the top right and top left of the touch surface. The top light bar is also present, just as it was in the original image, further supporting default motion control functionality.

As we can now see from the new photo, the controller appears to have a textured look on the grips and body, with a shiny, polished surface surrounding the touchpad, analog directional pad, and face buttons. It's interesting to note that the glossy black accent matches the front of the PS Vita perfectly.

A small port on the bottom of the device suggests headset compatibility, while the speaker (or microphone... or both) remains situated right in the middle of the controller. As with yesterday's photo, this controller appears to be wired, possibly pointing to it being a prototype device for developers.

So there you have it folks; This is one rumor that is really starting to heat up. Of course, we can't make a definitive call until we see it first-hand, and straight from Sony - but for what it's worth, it's looking better than it was yesterday.

Source: GameTrailers [http://forums.gametrailers.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1345970#p37875070]

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
The extra grip is great, i like that. But the little touch screen is even more small and pointless than in the other image. It looks about big enough to show your life left or scores. But useless for actual touch screen gaming.

Hope this fad dies. Even the WiiU isnt using it properly in multiplayer as only one remote is useable. Hat the fact companies are adding stuff just because.....no reason, just because others have used it.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Sony seems kinda uncreative when it comes to controllers. But don't fix what isn't broken I guess.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
Better than it was yesterday, but I still hope they aren't actually putting in a touch-screen. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you have a much bigger screen that you should be paying attention to. If it's one of those things where it's just touch in general, doesn't need to be precise motions...then why not just do it like the Vita and put that on the back? It works that way because you're using free fingers and the motions aren't to complicated. Making a player move their thumbs in order to use a front touch-screen just seems sort of pointless.

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
That image is clearly fake.
Everyone knows this is the real deal:

(source) [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47728857&postcount=1191]

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
So, all they did was take the PS3 controller, move the D-pad a little, make the sticks awful looking, and add a mini touchscreen and speaker.
You know that expression "Don't fix what isn't broken"? Sony seems to intepret that as "Take something good, break it, and rip off Nintendo."

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
All you had to do was to make it slightly bulkier like the 360 controller and make the L2/R2 buttons comfortable to use.
"Nope,we need touchscreens because the Smartphone market is going to doom us all,so if you can't beat'em,join them,slap those touchscreens!"

MrBenSampson

Oct 8, 2011
That almost makes me wish they would reconsider the boomerang controller. What's the purpose of that screen, other than to drain the battery? Does it display images, or would it just be a touchpad? Why would you need a touchpad in the first place? It would be funny if the game developers just used the screen to simulate the start and select buttons.

OreoDoublestuff

Nov 18, 2009
I'm cautiously optimistic. I like the bigger handles, and since this is only a prototype, I'm hoping they just make the sticks concave.

Though, I have to agree, the touchscreen's pretty superfluous.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Don't fix what isn't broken I guess.

OT: I'm on the fence about the design. The sticks looks kinda funky, it looks bigger than the ps3's, and... Is that a touch pad and a speaker? And where on earth are the start and select buttons?!

Although, I am liking the headphone/mic jack. It could mean I can listen to my games without hooking up my super bulky Turtle Beaches. I'd consider that a plus in my book.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Ignoring the fact that I think adding a touchpad is useless, why didn't they put that thing on the back of the controller, where your middle fingers could prove more than useful?

Now you'll just be straining your wrist trying to get your thumb over there.

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
[HEADING=1] fear of risk[/HEADING]

Sony is now an Analog competitor in a Digital world. This industry is suffocating behind the fear of risk. "Safety" is not how you grow a business; it's how you survive. And the Sony Playstation has been surviving for years instead of leading it's competitors.

[HEADING=2]1994 PS Controller. 19 Years. Let that sink in.[/HEADING]
This is an Innovation Economy. Consumers need to realize this: you should not be loyal to any console, any publisher, or series. You should be loyal to excellence, ambition and innovation. It's why we didn't like the PSMove, because it was a copy of hardware developed way back when in 2006 (Wii). We can't keep letting these juggernauts -- that is, Nintendo, Microsoft & Sony -- be content with normality!

I'm very close to giving up on this Visceral Medium as gaming has become very ordinary and mundane. Why? Not enough competition. Nintendo, Microsoft & Sony are stymieing console innovation.

[HEADING=2]Why So Much Change?[/HEADING]
Mobile Gaming is the Future Cell phones have undergone so much innovation within the last ten years: 9 button press; and then a qwerty keyboard; and then a resistance touch display; and now we're at full HD: Retina capacity screens. Why? Because of all of the competition. But now that the phone competition has been narrowed down, we've seen the innovation halt dramatically. All of the iPhones look exactly the same! and people go crazy for them.

[HEADING=2]Admit it, You Gamers are the new iPhone-crazed fans.[/HEADING]
You're so used to this technology acting exactly like x & y. You've grown comfortable with the looks and the feel of how a game should be, and you don't want to change. Then you celebrate a new (boring) console with your $. But that's human nature.

crepesack

May 20, 2008
Looks better than all the previous ps controls imo. The stick to button transition looks a lot more comfortable and natural. This is coming from an ardent fan of the 360 controller design.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
Aside from the Super Nintendo pad, the PS controller has always been one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever used, with the exception of the handles being just a tad too short and fat towards to top. I used the 360 gamepad on my PC for a couple years, and I got used to the feel of it, and it can certainly be comfortable, but I've always had the PS controller as my top in comfort. Like most people on here though, I don't see a point in the touchscreen. It's rather small, and I see little point in the speaker...it was annoying enough on the Wii controller.But other than those two issues, at least it looks as though the kept the same design, which a few people would complain is getting old...I don't see how a comfortable design can get old...the look, sure, but you don't use a controller to LOOK at it (though with the touchscreen that may have to change >.>)

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
MikeWehner said:
worldfest said:
The original dual shock wasn't available until 1997. Just FYI. Before that it had no analog sticks or rumble.
Model SCPH-1010 was released with the Sony Playstation in 1994. You're right, it had none of those capacities that you listed. I'm pointing toward the problem of innovation.

You see, the argument you made is one an iPhone fan would have for the 1st Generation compared to this 6th G coming out. I'm saying that we have not had major steps toward innovation because we have had such a shortage of competition in the industry. Only three juggernauts have competed against each other; and that's all that they're doing -- its just enough to edge one over the other, or stay safe in the profit margin.

I'm so disappointed.

The Cellphone industry should be light years ahead of what it is right now. Everyone's giddy over Operating Systems that add just a touch more response, or making widgets more colorful. Really? That's why I'm upgrading my phone? (I haven't upgraded my phone in 3 years; that's right, I've still got the Galaxy S.)
Competition in the cellphone industry, like the console wars, are so indistinguishable that it's uninspiring. Those console wars of 2007-08 look ridiculous now as the tech each console emerges with in this upcoming generation will be virtually the same. And now even Nintendo has taken a step back. They've gone back to hand-held pads.

I won't spend another $400 and six years with virtually the same controller. I can't celebrate an industry that refuses to adapt, that only wants to survive.

I believe that the future is in tablets.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Mojo said:
That image is clearly fake.
Everyone knows this is the real deal:

If you made that, nice job. If you found it good find.

Best PS controller has been the PS2's dualshock one or the PSX with the analogue sticks. You can get them running PnP on USB in seconds, can be found ocassionally for like £1.50 and have better quality buttons.