Mar 26, 2008
Nasrin said:
rabidkanid said:
Nasrin said:
rabidkanid said:
Nasrin said:
rabidkanid said:
"Addictive multiplayer"?
A requested improvement would be to make raising the Chao in this game not so much a pain in the ass, especially when you have no fondness for them and all you want are the Emblems from the races and karate.
I find it really interesting that you think this is the bad part of the game. It's my favorite part and it's the kind of creative/nurturing/building activity that I've looked for in other games constantly since.
It's not necessarily 'BAD', it's just something forced on you in order to get something that you want even if you don't want anything to do with it. The chao are supposed to be this extra bit in the game that's there if you want to use it. it shouldn't in any way, shape, or form be a requirement. It adds unnecessary frustration and negatively impacts a persons enjoyment of the game when they decide to get 100% in it.

Also, as I've stated in my original post, if you want to raise the Chao quickly, you have to play levels over and over to get the chaos drives and animals. I once spent the whole day doing this to try and raise my Chao's levels. It was one of the most tedious, annoying and aggravating things I've ever done and his actual performance in Karate and the Races didn't improve that much. The only real way to raise their stats quickly is to use the Chao Garden in Sonic Advance or the in the Dreamcast UMD....and in this HD re-release you don't get that.
Is there a part of the game that isn't accessible to you without the chao races? I really don't remember that being the case, except with respect to other chao related content.

It's your decision to set an artificial goal of 100% for yourself. You can't begrudge the chao for simply being IN the game. Nobody made you grind those vials all day.
Didn't I just say it keeps you from getting emblems? There are chao race and karate emblems and then there's another one that you get for getting all the emblems I believe. I think there's also extra content that's blocked unless you get them all (may be wrong). Something that's supposed to be a side game, which requires you to do a monotonous task as a way to keep you playing, that provides no real challenging entertainment value should not be the thing that keeps you from doing or obtaining something else, especially when you just spend a good couple hours doing actually challenging tasks. All A rank for all characters and the emblem for doing Boss Rush without dying once.

*I don't begrudge the CHAO*, I begrudge the design of how I have to deal with them to get something I want that really isn't related to them at all. A side entertainment item shouldn't block a main entertainment item when doing the side item takes forever, isn't fun, and you're not really doing anything.
Besides providing emblems, what content are you blocked from seeing? What do you have to sacrifice if you don't do the Chao stuff?
THE BIG ONE:
Get all 180 Emblems and unlock the 3D version of Green Hill Zone from Sonic The Hedgehog 1.

There's an island on the map that you can select Green Hill from. It's not available until you get all 180 emblems. So that's completing all the missions, getting all A rank on the missions, the boss rush and....the Chao races and Karate.

It feels so very fair *sarcasm* to have 3D Green Hill in the game blocked from me after doing everything else because I haven't spent days raising a god Chao.

And no, I don't care that it's in Sonic Generations. At the time when this game came out, this was the only major 3D recreation of Green Hill Zone.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
rabidkanid said:
Nasrin said:
rabidkanid said:
Nasrin said:
rabidkanid said:
Nasrin said:
rabidkanid said:
"Addictive multiplayer"?
A requested improvement would be to make raising the Chao in this game not so much a pain in the ass, especially when you have no fondness for them and all you want are the Emblems from the races and karate.
I find it really interesting that you think this is the bad part of the game. It's my favorite part and it's the kind of creative/nurturing/building activity that I've looked for in other games constantly since.
It's not necessarily 'BAD', it's just something forced on you in order to get something that you want even if you don't want anything to do with it. The chao are supposed to be this extra bit in the game that's there if you want to use it. it shouldn't in any way, shape, or form be a requirement. It adds unnecessary frustration and negatively impacts a persons enjoyment of the game when they decide to get 100% in it.

Also, as I've stated in my original post, if you want to raise the Chao quickly, you have to play levels over and over to get the chaos drives and animals. I once spent the whole day doing this to try and raise my Chao's levels. It was one of the most tedious, annoying and aggravating things I've ever done and his actual performance in Karate and the Races didn't improve that much. The only real way to raise their stats quickly is to use the Chao Garden in Sonic Advance or the in the Dreamcast UMD....and in this HD re-release you don't get that.
Is there a part of the game that isn't accessible to you without the chao races? I really don't remember that being the case, except with respect to other chao related content.

It's your decision to set an artificial goal of 100% for yourself. You can't begrudge the chao for simply being IN the game. Nobody made you grind those vials all day.
Didn't I just say it keeps you from getting emblems? There are chao race and karate emblems and then there's another one that you get for getting all the emblems I believe. I think there's also extra content that's blocked unless you get them all (may be wrong). Something that's supposed to be a side game, which requires you to do a monotonous task as a way to keep you playing, that provides no real challenging entertainment value should not be the thing that keeps you from doing or obtaining something else, especially when you just spend a good couple hours doing actually challenging tasks. All A rank for all characters and the emblem for doing Boss Rush without dying once.

*I don't begrudge the CHAO*, I begrudge the design of how I have to deal with them to get something I want that really isn't related to them at all. A side entertainment item shouldn't block a main entertainment item when doing the side item takes forever, isn't fun, and you're not really doing anything.
Besides providing emblems, what content are you blocked from seeing? What do you have to sacrifice if you don't do the Chao stuff?
THE BIG ONE:
Get all 180 Emblems and unlock the 3D version of Green Hill Zone from Sonic The Hedgehog 1.

There's an island on the map that you can select Green Hill from. It's not available until you get all 180 emblems. So that's completing all the missions, getting all A rank on the missions, the boss rush and....the Chao races and Karate.

It feels so very fair *sarcasm* to have 3D Green Hill in the game blocked from me after doing everything else because I haven't spent days raising a god Chao.

And no, I don't care that it's in Sonic Generations. At the time when this game came out, this was the only major 3D recreation of Green Hill Zone.
Fair enough.