Sega Does What Nintendon't

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
>Sega couldn't scrape enough characters for a semi-decent kart racer

And yet made two really great ones. Without even using a host of classic characters that fans wanted them to use like Axel Stone, Blaze Fielding, Sketch Turner or Vectorman.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
I dunno. Sega All Stars Racing didn't seem to be lacking in available characters...

But then again, I do believe there's a Sonic Amiibo, so... You know. XD

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I love the fight breaking out in the first panel. :3

Also I literally know a hundred people who flip right the fuck out over the use of the word "literally".

SweetShark said:
I don't get the joke.....
What is the point with the Metal Sonic?
The joke is that the only recognizable Sega characters - if Sega were to start making Amiibo-like figures - would all be Sonic characters.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
*Reads blurb* Gahdammit, guys.

-----------

Not since Capcom has a company been so dedicated to effectively not using the tons of IPs at their disposal to make games. It's sad really. We give Ninty a lot of crap for sticking to their established franchises to make games, but jeez at least they're using them. Whatever happened to that Billy Hatcher kid?

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
RJ 17 said:
I love the fight breaking out in the first panel. :3

Also I literally know a hundred people who flip right the fuck out over the use of the word "literally".

SweetShark said:
I don't get the joke.....
What is the point with the Metal Sonic?
The joke is that the only recognizable Sega characters - if Sega were to start making Amiibo-like figures - would all be Sonic characters.
Not true. Sonic characters is the only well-known franchise which milk all the time. Sega have many recognizable games.
Shinobi, Shenmue, Golden Axe, Jet Set Radio, Virtual Fighters, etc.

Also another problem is like the Playstation All Stars games, Sega doesn't care to create a cross-over game which all the character are visually represented with a specific style.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Btw, doesn't Nintendo use already MANY Super Mario characters? Like, I think if I count correctly, 7 characters? Why not a Sega game?

mtarzaim02

Jan 23, 2014
The real question should be: "how many ulcers can a human handle in his sole stomach?".
Let's find out.

An erin amiibo should be a MEME. LITERAlLY.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
To be fair to Sega, a lot of their best IPs are now owned by 2kgames.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sega_video_game_franchises

Bayonetta
Panzer Dragoon

Um...

Ok, I think I started out trying to make a point of my own and only ended up proving these guys right. While Sega did have some great franchizes they didn't really focus on recognizable or recurring protagonists in most of their games. I mean, I loved Panzer Dragoon and Valkyrie Chronicles but a recognizable character? not really.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Sega would probably have more recognizable characters if they didn't spend the mid 90s shooting themselves in the feet every time the US and Japanese offices met (and that's not the only reason). It is hard to keep everyone besides Sonic in the public eye while your 5th gen console goes almost unnoticed in the west and you have to release your 6th gen early, then watch its success fade as three juggernauts loom over the horizon. Of course a few year later, they became like most other 3rd party publishers, picking up franchises here and there but not looking for another mascot like Mario & Co. or Sonic & Co.
Grouchy Imp said:
If Sega made a karting game with Ecco as a driver, they'd have a sale.
Add a Craxy Taxi kart and Vectorman in there as well. Maybe even the mine carts from Gunstar Heroes.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Lightknight said:
To be fair to Sega, a lot of their best IPs are now owned by 2kgames.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sega_video_game_franchises

Bayonetta
Panzer Dragoon

Um...

Ok, I think I started out trying to make a point of my own and only ended up proving these guys right. While Sega did have some great franchizes they didn't really focus on recognizable or recurring protagonists in most of their games. I mean, I loved Panzer Dragoon and Valkyrie Chronicles but a recognizable character? not really.
TBH I may have bought SEGA initially for Sonic (well my parents bought it...) But what made me love it wasn't the characters, it was the games. Shadowrun, Castlevania: Bloodlines, Wolverine Adamantium Rage, X-Men/X-Men 2, Shenmue, UFC (Dreamcast version was the best technical fighting game to date IMO), Crazy Taxi... I can keep listing games SEGA made me love over Nintendo, despite being a huge Nintendo fan and cut my teeth on the NES. Its only when the Saturn came out that I lost faith, Dreamcast was amazing and so criminally underrated (I'll stop there because we've heard all the arguments I'm sure by this point why Dreamcast had so much potential to whip the PS2's ass).

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Anyone else old enough to remember Chakan on the Genesis? Man that was a great game.

Sould1n

Jan 23, 2011
'Sega Couldn't Scrape Up Enough Characters For A Semi-Decent Kart Racer'

I... I don't get this part. Both Sonic & All Stars racing games have a decent selection of characters. Sure, they do have a fair chuck of Sonic characters in both instalments, yet in Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing they managed to represent 14 of their series. Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed did fail to represent a few of these series, but they also had playable characters representing 4 more Sega series (and even more in the Sega version). They managed to bring together a decent selection of characters for both of their racing games.

I would also question the part about semi-decent, but that definitely falls into the realm of personal opinion, with mine being that the Sonic & All-Stars series are the best racing games of all.

coolbond

Mar 1, 2011
no one pointed out that she misspelled amiibo? its missing an i plus while not an error in the comic but a error people do in general is that the plural form of amiibo is amiibo not amiibos