Sega: Sonic Will be "Fixed Over Time"

PsychoJosh

Oct 4, 2007
I don't care what anyone says, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were excellent games and show exactly how Sonic SHOULD be done in 3D. No one honestly gives a shit about Sonic having a near endless amount of friends playable in his games if they contribute meaningfully to the gameplay. And that they did. All the characters, except for Big the Cat, played quite nicely.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Still, Ratcliffe doesn't necessarily think Unleashed was all that bad - while older Sonic fans might have been rather unhappy with the "Werehog" segments, those very same sections were "very well received" by younger children

Oh, so, what? We, the people who grew up with Sonic, should just put up with shit now that we're into 2 digit ages? Fuck those kids, WE were the ones who experienced Sonic when he was very first concieved, WE are the players who matter.

QuirkyTambourine

Jul 26, 2009
Macgyvercas said:
To quote Yahtzee: "Sonic is done! He's past it! He doesn't need more games, he needs help! Specifically the kind of help that involves taking him behind a shed and tearfully putting both barrels into him confused oblivious little face. Stuff him, mount him, repurpose him as a litter picking device."
wow it took 13 comments for someone to quote that, by far my favorite yahtzee line

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
Make it 2D and like Sonic 3 & Knuckles, in otherwords, have ONLY Sonic, Tails and Knuckles. 3 Best characters ever, and the best Megadrive game ever. The rest are annoying (especially Amy, I want to hit her with her own pink hammer)

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy the original cast, kill the rest off and let the weirdo fanboys on youtube cry about Shadow and Silver so Sega can just focus and make a good game. In shocking news I thought the day levels in Sonic Unleashed were great, how ever I thought the God of War ripoff night levels were borderline stroke inducing. They were really close, but they just had to throw something in there for everyone to hate. Well most of us anyway, a quick trip to youtube or deviant art shows lots of fans of the werehog...ung.

MorteSphere

Jul 8, 2009
Puppet M. said:
MorteSphere said:
Puppet M. said:
MorteSphere said:
Since the introduction of Tails, Sonic has failed horribly. They should have stuck with side scrolling.
Somehow, ONE new character that appear in the SECOND game of the ENTIRE franchise has been the sole reason that Sonic games have been lacking in quality?

Didn't IGN say the same Bullshit?

The both of you are basically saying that only the first game was good? Yes, I see perfect logic in that.
Basically I'm saying the first was good and they should have stopped there.
I've heard of the phrase "quit while you're ahead" but you're saying they should have quit before they even started. Again, logic at it's best!
I'm not saying I would have. I'm saying that they should have. They've made millions on the Sonic franchise, and thats good for them, but the first game was the only good one. But, of course this is in my opinion, I'm not forcing you to believe me.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
They're actually satisfied with a succession of increasingly less crappy games before they (theoretically) produce a "good" modern Sonic formula. The real sad thing is that I have seen running fast in 3D done well before, and they still can't produce a decent Sonic game.

IMO the best "running around in 3D" I had ever seen was in Okami. It fixed the 3 key issues Sonic keeps having.

1) You didn't start in slow motion
2) You quickly built up speed with only a few marked levels
3) It genuinely felt fast without compromising the ability to see and react (unless there was a camera issue).

I could see those mechanics with a Sonic makeover working. Y'know; more obstacles, challenges and structures in the open world to interact with. They could even keep the sectioned off fighting for more impressive moves and style that wouldn't work free-running in an open space.

At least, that's my idea for a decent Sonic. Of course even if they did it SonicTeam would still find a way to foul it up into an unplayable mess.

Dr Ampersand

Jun 27, 2009
Percutio said:
Wasn't the original Sonic only good because it was simple, yet innovated? Fast platforming with creative mechanics and traps?

So isn't it as simple as innovating Sonic's fast and trap filled platforming style into a 3D world with even better creative mechanics all while keeping gameplay simple?

It seems so simple to fix, but if the devs aren't up to it then they might as well hasten the end of this downward free fall.
Don't forget the occasional piece of environment in the Green Hill Zone that could be broken to reveal a new path.

Also I think that the plug shouldn't be pulled on Sonic, though if need be, get a different team to make a good Sonic game.

PsychoJosh said:
And that they did. All the characters, except for Big the Cat, played quite nicely.
What?! But Big the Cat has both Froggy and the greatest theme tune out of any of the Sonic characters! He was awesome except in Sonic Adventure 2 where he
stalks you constantly. You can see him watching you from time to time.

VonVirgo

Mar 25, 2009
MorteSphere said:
Puppet M. said:
MorteSphere said:
Puppet M. said:
MorteSphere said:
Since the introduction of Tails, Sonic has failed horribly. They should have stuck with side scrolling.
Somehow, ONE new character that appear in the SECOND game of the ENTIRE franchise has been the sole reason that Sonic games have been lacking in quality?

Didn't IGN say the same Bullshit?

The both of you are basically saying that only the first game was good? Yes, I see perfect logic in that.
Basically I'm saying the first was good and they should have stopped there.
I've heard of the phrase "quit while you're ahead" but you're saying they should have quit before they even started. Again, logic at it's best!
I'm not saying I would have. I'm saying that they should have. They've made millions on the Sonic franchise, and thats good for them, but the first game was the only good one. But, of course this is in my opinion, I'm not forcing you to believe me.
The reason SEGA made Sonic was so they could have a mascot that could compete with Nintendo and Super Mario Bros., it would be kinda dumb for them to create the first Sonic- which helped the Genesis/Mega Drive outsell the NES for a while- and then dump it and say "Next!"

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Interesting how it was a representative from Sega America that made that comment. From what I understand (and I admit I could be wrong), Sega America's team was the one responsible for "Sonic 3" and "Sonic and Knuckles" back in the Genesis days, widely regarded as the best (or at least the last good) entries in the Sonic franchise before it went off the rails with 3D. Most of the creative decisions for the last decade have been coming from "Sonic Team," based in the Japan branch of Sega.

So they admit they can't nail down what it is that made Sonic good, so rather than looking back to the old games they're going to keep throwing new crap at us until they figure out which parts of the games we don't like? Sounds like an elaborate customer research experiment, only instead of paying us for our ideas we pay them and then tell them what they're doing wrong. A scam worthy of Scientology?

Motiv_

Jun 2, 2009
Am I not the only person who is terrified when they say fixed "Over Time?"
That means they're continuing the franchise?

Ghost8585

Jul 21, 2009
I don't see how hard it could be to make a good sonic game. Hell, just cut out the warehog parts out of Unleashed and I would have liked it because the speed levels were pretty fun and a return to form (more or less) in my opinion. Or as someone earlier posted, remake Sonic 3 or Sonic & Knuckels in HD. Nostalgia is why us gamers still give a crap about sonic, why doesn't Sega use that to their advantage and make a mega man 9 type squeal? C'mon Sonic Team, you know its the right thing to do.

Salem_Wolf

Jul 9, 2009
I have loved the Sonic games since I was a kid, and to this day still place the Sonic series on my top 5 favorite series of all time, though recently, without breaking the top 5 list, placed him at the bottom. A lot of people say the series stunk after the 2D games ended, I for one think the series really took a spiral after Sonic Adventure 1, which I thought was an amazing game, but Sonic Adventure 2, while decent, was a step back but a game I enjoyed nonetheless. Sonic has enough friends, keep the classic friends, leave the others to the sidelines and cameos, and return Sonic to his roots. I doubt Sonic will have an amazing game by 2010, but by 2012? Well perhaps we'll truly see the end of the world.

Sonic's first true 3D experience (Sonic Adventure) did well, so what happened? Better graphics, more gimmicks. Sonic works best for Speed and platforming, leave it at that? Why fix what's broken? Sure Mario adds a few hats every game, but the RPG Bioware made was awesome, I think an RPG on the home consoles would be a nice step, if employed by Bioware again. Sonic has so much possibility, and potential, it would be a shame to keep him only a platformer, but please...leave the sports and party games to Mario, though I wouldn't shoot down a fighting game.

Kudos to Sega for realizing they need to fix their mascot, as Sonic is a mascot kids and adults can love, I'm 22, and love Sonic as much as I did when I was a preteen adolescent, so let his fans see the love, not the new kids on the block who are just now seeing Sonic in his worst. I hope Sega can improve Sonic and once again make him a great rival for Mario as he used to be, and his cameo in SSB? Sad to say, that was the best game I'd seen Sonic in, in years. Ah well, someday I'll see a great Sonic game...or come to my senses and say "Screw it" and ignore Sonic. Let's hope Sega can finally bring Sonic back into the limelight.

Gabes

May 8, 2008
They need to start treating Sonic the way they did in the old days:

Here's a hedgehog, he runs real fast, collects rings, and is a badass.

Fuck stories, fuck development, let him be a simple and primal character. They just don't let characters and games be that way anymore. Whatever happened to the villain who wanted to take over the world just because he could, no reason for it or the hero who stopped them simply because that is what the game makes them do? Very few games could pull off that purity and simplicity nowadays, in fact it would make for a terrible game by our standards now in most cases, but Sonic is one of those rare characters who could pull it off. Go for the pure and simple and we'll have the Sonic we loved again.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Ashbax said:
They should just release a 2.5D sonic game for XBLA, and not just a remake of the first three, I mean a new one...and also, No characters except Sonic, tails, and maybe knuckles...anything past that and im bombing sega.
A remake might actually not be a bad idea. It might remind people why Sonic was so awesome "back in the day" and it might be a good start for a relaunch. Going completely back to basics, even without Tails and Knuckles, and see where it goes.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Even if they do make a good Sonic game I still don't see it making much difference. Those games are too cute and kiddy and these days that's just not what people want. Most of the gamers I know these days would disregard anything cute or wholesome in favour of endless violence and sexual depravity. Violence and sex sell now as the medium has no longer just been made for kids but also adolencants who feel the need for 'mature content' in which case bring on the guns, blood and jubblies. That's just the thing, that's what the world wants now and characters like Sonic well and truly had their shot and the world is done with them.
To quote Bob Dylan... The times they are a' changin.

In fact we could actually do a montage similar to the one in Watchmen about the change of the games industry.

SecretTacoNinja

Jul 8, 2008
Vrex360 said:
Even if they do make a good Sonic game I still don't see it making much difference. Those games are too cute and kiddy and these days that's just not what people want. Most of the gamers I know these days would disregard anything cute or wholesome in favour of endless violence and sexual depravity. Violence and sex sell now as the medium has no longer just been made for kids but also adolencants who feel the need for 'mature content' in which case bring on the guns, blood and jubblies. That's just the thing, that's what the world wants now and characters like Sonic well and truly had their shot and the world is done with them.
To quote Bob Dylan... The times they are a' changin.

In fact we could actually do a montage similar to the one in Watchmen about the change of the games industry.
I wouldn't say that most gamers are only into violence and sex, think about us female gamers, we're sure as hell not all about the blood and titties. The new gamers, the casual gamers... us and them like the cute and cuddly, we'll still buy the cute games as long as they're making them, we won't let the industry give into what the violent and horny little boys want.