Sega Working on Dreamcast Retail Collection

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sega Working on Dreamcast Retail Collection

Nearly a decade after the console was discontinued, Dreamcast games remain an important part of Sega's business.

While the Dreamcast ultimately lost its fight against Sony's PS2, it still managed to build up a dedicated following, thanks in no small part to a library that included the likes of Shenmue, Soulcalibur and Jet Set Radio. Now, Sega is getting ready to breathe new life into that library, bringing its classic games to a new generation of consoles.

Sega's executive vice president of sales and marketing, Alan Pritchard, said that even though the console was discontinued in 2001, there was still a healthy second-hand market for Dreamcast hardware and software. He said that while Sega had no plans to throw its hat back into the ring of hardware manufacturing, it was getting ready to release a compilation of Dreamcast games, in the same vein as the Ultimate Genesis Collection Sega released last year. Unfortunately, he didn't mention any specific titles or a release date, and just said that it was coming "soon."

Pritchard also said that Sega planned to release more Dreamcast games digitally. He cited the recent release of Crazy Taxi [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8384-Review-Crazy-Taxi], which will be joined by Space Channel 5 Part 2 and Sega Bass Fishing early next year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104586-More-Dreamcast-Classics-Coming-to-XBLA-and-PSN]. This doesn't necessarily exclude them from being part of the collection however, as quite a few of the games on the Ultimate Genesis Collection were made available to download as well, both before and after the collection's release.

Source: Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/12/13/sega-to-release-dreamcast-collection-title.aspx]

Fuselage

Nov 18, 2009
Can't wait!!, I played Shenmue back in the day, I don't know why but the closest game I can describe for Shenmue today is proabaly the Yakuza Series.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
This seems like a good idea. I know personally I never even laid eyes on a dreamcast outside of its box. So I never played any of the games, and there were at least a couple i wanted to play like Shenmue and Seaman (or whatever it was called)

The console always looked like it was pretty solid, It was just that by the time it came out Segas hardware hopes were like an albatross around its neck. Even with having several great games in its lineup, it still didnt have nearly enough to offer back in the day. Now, as an adjunct to an existing console.. Yes, this would be a great thing.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Please don't let this be a bunch of ports where Sega has the opportunity to upgrade...

shemoanscazrex3

Mar 24, 2010
Stuff like this makes me wish I've never sold my PS3 and 360 since I know it won't come for pc sigh but boy oh boy if it did I'd buy it in a heartbeat

WittyInfidel

Aug 30, 2010
He's to hoping for a Seaman remake. I remember freaking out my roommate back at the dorm when it swam to the front of the screen and asked if I was alone.

Now I feel old...

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Oh fuck yes. Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Jet Set Radio, Power Stone, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, and I wouldn't mind seeing Grandia 2.

TheLazyGeek

Nov 7, 2009
DREAMCAST 2 OR GTFO!

But, on a no-caps-lock note, here's my wallet, Sega. Plastic is on the front-left pocket. Be gentle.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Xzi said:
C'mon Jet Set Radio and Power Stone. I'll take Crazy Taxi if they want to throw it in as well.

Gindil said:
Please don't let this be a bunch of ports where Sega has the opportunity to upgrade...
Actually, I'd much prefer straight ports as long as they add widescreen support. Chances are that any "upgrades" that they would attempt to make would just ruin the experience as we remember it. I cite the Turtles in Time XBLA remake as an example *shudder*.

Besides, Sega has lost a lot of their development team since their prime.
I'd love to see Bomber Hehhe! on there.

And yes, no bloody changes. I'd still like to know what idiot decided to change the music in Crazy Taxi. Without Offspring playing, the game is ass.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Skies of Arcadia. Skies of Arcadia. Please, God, Skies of Arcadia!

And the Grandia titles. I played G2 on the PS2 and it was terribly laggy and stuff.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
How bout Sega instead of remaking Jet Set Radio, you give me a new one? I have been waiting quite a while here.

twistedheat15

Sep 29, 2010
EcksTeaSea said:
How bout Sega instead of remaking Jet Set Radio, you give me a new one? I have been waiting quite a while here.
You and me both brudda! But I'd want the 1st style graffiti. I didn't like how future made tags just a push of the button.

llamastorm.games

Apr 10, 2008
Especially looking forward to this if they have some juicy achievements and a nice boost to HD textures.
Shenmue I/II
Sonic Adventure 2
Power Stone 2

They should really release a good selection of old dreamcast games, they didnt sell many copies of anything originally but in this age of digital downloads and the low overheads it affords they can make a lot of profit and it seems there are many fans willing to part with money to play these gems again. Specially those in the Shenmue and Sonic regions.
Is it really unrealistic to say Sonic Adventure has sold 100,000+ copies on XLBA so far? I know it sold 40,000 or so copies in september.
Thats $400,000 - $1,000,000 for putting out a game they made 10 years ago.
I'd part with 1200 points for shenmue now seeing as the dreamcast version are as rare as they are and can cost triple that for used.
Who knows if any of these are very succesful we might see a Power Stone 3, a Sonic Adventure 3 or a Shenmue III xbla title

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
Segas Bass Fishing is probably the single most boring game made in the last 25 years (Yes I realize it is only about 10 years old). I'm not even sure it qualifies as a game, more of a boredom simulator and boredom is only really good when it's real.

Shenmue 2 would be particularly good because it never came out in the US (or Canada). I had to pirate my copy, which of course was very easy to do because Dreamcast's copy protection was laughably poor.

P.S. Sonic Colours is basically Sonic Adventure 6 if you count Sonic Heroes (most annoying voiceovers ever), Sonic the Hedgehog (horrible reviews, haven't played) and Sonic Unleashed (any time you're not the "werehog" isn't too bad).

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
DYNAMITE COP FTW!!!!!

Some of my most epic gaming experiences involved my brother and I playing co-op at a local net cafe. Good times.