Serial Killer Round 39: Return of the Doubles Round (Cycle 12: We Have A Winner!)

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
[HEADING=1]{ Serial Killer Round 39 }[/HEADING]​
[HEADING=3]{ Return of the Doubles Round }[/HEADING]​

Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to a new round of Serial Killer. I am CounterAttack, your host for this round and the resident killer of the previous game.

Rather than GM a standard round of Serial Killer, I'm going to take a leaf out of [user]elementsoul[/user]'s book and make this a Doubles Round! Please read the Special Rules spoiler to make sure you clearly understand how this is going to work.

Small Announcement: In light of the Priest role being introduced, courtesy of [user]Link_to_Future[/user], GMs will no longer announce to the entire thread whether or not the recently deceased had a role. The lone exception is the killer, which is kinda necessary to end the round.

[hr]

Similar to the party game of Murderer or Mafia, the objective is to find the killer and execute him or her to prevent them from continuing their murderous rampage. The game ends either when the killer is executed, or he has killed off everyone else.

Part 1 - Determining the Killer:
The murderer among you is determined through random chance. Each participant will PM me a number between 1 and 100, inclusive.
Whoever gets the closest number to one I have picked beforehand becomes the killer. In the event of a tie, a random number generator or a coin will be used at my discretion. No player may ask the GM to give them a role, either through PM or publicly. Doing so multiple times may lead to being uninvited from the game.

Every cycle, the killer chooses one person whom they wish to have killed. Because this is primarily a role playing forum, the recently deceased is required to detail and post their death. Deaths are to be contained to one post and should be put in a spoiler. This is done in the style of traditional role playing, although how you choose to die is completely up to you. Just make it clear that you are murdered.

Part 2 - Execution:
After a murder victim has been announced, and their death posted, everyone still standing must cast a vote as to who they believe to be the killer.

IMPORTANT! PLEASE READ!
The game's voting has a strictly enforced time limit. All participants have TWO DAYS at absolute most to cast their votes. Anyone who has not voted by that time will have their vote randomly determined. If I do not reach 80% participation in the vote, the killer will be spared and one of the non-voting people will be killed off instead.
When the votes are tallied, I will PM the person with the highest number of votes, and they write and post their manner of execution. Again, make it clear that you have been executed.

Part 3 - Rinse and Repeat:
Once the execution has taken place, the killer is free to strike again in the next cycle. The process repeats ad infinitum until one of the two victory conditions detailed above has been completed.

The process of one murder and one execution is henceforth known as a 'cycle'.

When the Killer chooses their victim, they PM the name of his intended victim to the GM, who will then relay that message to the victim. Deceased players (murdered or executed) have 48 hours to post their death or recruit someone else to write it in the case of bad Internet, a family emergency or another legitimate reason.

Should a victim, be it murder or execution, choose to refuse to post a death or post a ridiculous or asinine one, they may not be invited back to future rounds.

[hr]

This is a Doubles Round, and the following rules apply.

You only send in one number to determine your role. Sending in two would just complicate things.

The closest and second closest to my chosen number will become the Killers, the third and fourth closest will become the Spies, the first and second farthest away will become the Medics, and the third and fourth farthest away will become the Arbiters. The pairs of Entwined, the Double Voters, and the Priests are chosen in the usual manner.

Because of those above changes, every player gets two votes to cast each cycle. If one of the Killers is killed them you only get one vote. The Double Voters are allowed to send in four votes each, and go back to sending in two votes if one of the Killers dies.

The Killer who lasts longest out of the two becomes the next GM.

If both Killers are killed in the same cycle then whoever guessed closest to the GM's number gets first choice at becoming the next GM.

If both Killers last till the end of the game then they both win but the Killer who guessed closest to my number again gets first choice of whether or not they want to become the next GM.

The Killers are able to kill each other if they choose the other killer as their victim (since they don't know who the other killer is). If they both choose each other and the Medics don't save either one, then the round is over. The killer who guessed closest to my number gets first choice at becoming the next GM.

Each Medic gets individual saves so multiple people per round are saved from being killed by the Killers. If both of the Killers choose the same person, a single Medic save negates both of their choices, and they must pick again. Should both Medics pick the same person, the second Medic will not be asked to re-choose.

If either Spy asks all three of their questions then both Arbiters lose their powers of execution.

The two pairs of Entwined are only aware of who else is in their partnership. They do not know who makes up the other Entwined pair.

No player who has a role will be informed of the other person who has the same role, nor will they know of anyone else's role. An exception is the Spies, but only if they directly ask the GM if a player has a certain class. The asking Spy will only be given a 'yes' or 'no' answer.

There are seven roles in the game of Serial Killer:
The Killer, the Medic, the Spy, the Arbiter, the Entwined, the Double Voter, and the Priest.

The Killer:
The killer is the primary focus of the game. This citizen's number is the closest to my choice of number. The killer sends me who they wish to kill at the beginning of each cycle. He or she is allowed to vote in the executions, they can be 'saved' by the medic, and they can die in an execution if they are chosen by vote. Eliminating the killer, by execution or the use of the Arbiter, ends the round.

The Medic:
The Medic has the power to save players from the killer. The Medic gets a certain number of saves depending on the number of players still alive.
- At 25 players or more, the Medic may save five people.
- 20-24 people gives the Medic four saves.
- 15-19 players: three saves.
- 10-14 players remaining grants the Medic two attempts.
- With less than ten players, the Medic can only save one of them.

The Medic chooses who they wish to save by PMing the appropriate usernames to the GM. The Medic cannot save the same person twice or more in a row, regardless of how many saves they have.

If the Medic saves the killer's target, then they live to vote another day. The killer, however, is free to pick a new victim, regardless of whether they are on the Medic's list. The Medic cannot save themselves from a knife in the dark, however...

The player with the number furthest away from my own becomes the Medic.

The Spy:
The Spy is allowed to ask the GM up to three "yes or no" questions throughout the course of the game, to attempt to determine the killer's identity. I will answer them to the best of my ability. The Spy can only use one question at a time, though, and can only ask the questions every other cycle; for example, if the Spy were to ask a question in the first cycle, they are not allowed to ask another question in the second. This allows the killer to have a good number of victims under their belt.

The Spy is also limited to one question in regards to the Killer's username as it has been deemed too easy to identify the Killer's identity by asking questions only about their username. Other things such as avatars, country of origin, Twitter accounts, et cetera, are fair game.

The Spy is free to distribute the information however they wish, be it in full view of the public, in private or otherwise until they are murdered or executed. Upon the GM messaging the Spy that they have been murdered or executed, the Spy can no longer inform any players of the questions asked and their answers or who they have narrowed the possible suspects down to. This is extended to revealing the gathered information in the Spy's death-post. That's just cheating.

Whoever picks the number second-closest to my own becomes the Spy.

The Arbiter:
The Arbiter has the power to instantly execute one other player, without the need for a vote or intervention on any other player's behalf or that of the GM. Should the Arbiter do so, both the Arbiter and their target are killed to maintain the balance of the game and thus allow the killer to continue should he not be executed.

The Arbiter may perform their execution at any time of their choosing, without the need for a vote from the others. They should, however, notify the GM when they execute someone; if this doesn't happen then the GM, and by extension the other players, is out of the loop in regards to the Arbiter's execution. In order to maintain fairness to the killer, the Arbiter has restrictions on the use of their power. The Arbiter can use their power up until the point where the Spy has asked their third question to the GM. The Arbiter will have 5 rounds to decide their kill, or less if the Spy acts faster than the Arbiter.

The role of Arbiter is given to the player who guessed the number second farthest away from the GM's number.

The Entwined:
The two Entwined are linked by a special invisible bond... and the strength of their connection is only known when one of the two dies. When one of the Entwined dies, the other commits suicide. This role goes to the first players that choose identical numbers, or failing that, the first players that choose consecutive numbers. Neither of the Entwined can have a second role.

If there are no consecutive or identical guesses, those who guess the two numbers that are closest together become the Entwined. The two Entwined are aware of each other's existence, though no-one else is.

The Double Voter:
The Double Voter is a bit of a cheater. He or she gets two votes instead of one. The Double Voter can vote for two different people or put both votes towards one person: The choice is yours. The double vote is for every cycle, not just one. This role's number is decided by a random dice roll, after all the other roles have been determined.

The Priest:
The Priest's role is an interesting one. He or she has the power to sacrifice themselves to resurrect someone who died in a previous cycle. When someone is resurrected, everyone in the round becomes aware of any role that the resurrected player may have.

A resurrected Arbiter cannot use their ability if they have already used it: it dies with them. If they have not used their power, however, and the conditions for its use are still acceptable (i.e. within the first five cycles of the game, the Spy has not asked all three of their questions) then they are free to execute a target.

The role of the Priest is determined by calculating the average of the guessed numbers, not including that of the GM. Whoever guesses the number closest to the average becomes the Priest.

[hr]

[user]NeoAC[/user] - Fourth Executed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/540.339949.13870628]
[user]CounterAttack[/user] - KILLER - Sixth Executed
[user]sky14kemea[/user]
[user]elementsoul[/user] - Third Murdered
[user]RBMidknight[/user] - DOUBLE VOTER - Fifth Executed
[user]War Penguin[/user]
[user]j1-2themax[/user]
[user]axle 19[/user] - ENTWINED
[user]Schizzy[/user]
[user]SkyeNeko[/user] - Fifth Murdered [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/540.339949.13872247]
[user]Link_to_Future[/user]
[user]Fragrance of Mtn Dew[/user] - First Murdered [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/540.339949.13759973]
[user]Ynnek89[/user] - SPY - Third Executed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/540.33994913845832]
[user]Zero_ctrl[/user]
[user]Jak23[/user]
[user]Berenzen[/user]
[user]Gamebrother1337[/user] - Fourth Murdered [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/540.339949.13847862]
[user]Diablo1099[/user]
[user]RaNDM G[/user] - ARBITER - Second Murdered [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/540.339949.13784368]
[user]Loremaster P[/user]
[user]Lost In The Void[/user]
[user]Mortis Nuncius[/user]
[user]staika[/user] - MEDIC
[user]Stekepanne5[/user] - Sixth Murdered [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/540.339949.13911165]
[user]Jason Santora[/user]
[user]Malyc[/user] - Second Executed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/540.339949.13805908]
[user]InsomniJack[/user]
[user]Nouw[/user] - ENTWINED
[user]XIII's Number XIV[/user]
[user]drmigit2[/user] - First Executed
[user]ddon[/user]

Round 39 Participants:
[user]Pm0n3y[/user] - Murder, Cycle 5
[user]sky14kemea[/user] - Execution, Cycle 4
[user]War Penguin[/user] - Medic #2 - Murder, Cycle 8, Priest Resurrection, Cycle 8, Murder, Cycle 9
[user]j1-2themax[/user] - Murder, Cycle 4
[user]axle 19[/user] - Execution #1, Cycle 2
[user]elementsoul[/user] - Execution, Cycle 7
[user]NeoAC[/user] - Murder, Cycle 7
[user]Lost In The Void[/user] - Murder, Cycle 6
[user]RBMidknight[/user] - Medic #1 - Murder #1, Cycle 1
[user]Schizzy[/user] - Priest #2 - Priest Death, Cycle 8
[user]SkyeNeko[/user] - Arbiter #2 - Execution, Cycle 3
[user]Link_to_Future[/user] - Killer #1 - WINNER!!
[user]Fragrance of Mtn Dew[/user] - Entwined Pair #1 - Entwined Death, Cycle 6
[user]Ynnek89[/user] - Murder, Cycle 10
[user]Jak23[/user] - Execution, Cycle 5
[user]zero_ctrl[/user] - Spy #1 - Murder, Cycle 12
[user]staika[/user] - Double Voter #1 - Murder #1, Cycle 2
[user]Diablo1099[/user] - Arbiter #1 - Execution #2, Cycle 1
[user]RaNDM G[/user] - Entwined Pair #1 - Execution, Cycle 6
[user]Mortis Nuncius[/user] - Priest #1 - Murder #2, Cycle 2
[user]Berenzen[/user] - Execution, Cycle 10
[user]InsomniJack[/user] - Murder, Cycle 11
[user]TrilbyWill[/user] - Murder, Cycle 3
[user]Nouw[/user] - Spy #2 - Execution, Cycle 11
[user]Loremaster P[/user] - Entwined Pair #2 - Entwined Death, Cycle 1
[user]VonKlaw[/user] - Double Voter #2 - Execution, Cycle 9
[user]Stekepanne5[/user] - Entwined Pair #2 - Execution #1, Cycle 1
[user]Malyc[/user] - Killer #2 - Execution #2, Cycle 2
[user]Sonora 49[/user] - Execution, Cycle 8
[user]Gamebrother1337[/user] - Murder #2, Cycle 1

[HEADING=2]The Game is over! Link_to_Future wins!![/HEADING]​

Schizzy

Oct 9, 2008
I sended de numbah!

@Jak: Congratulations! You're now part of an elite group that (usually) won't get lynched in the first round.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
Oh this is going to be fun. Number to be sent once I think of one.

Schizzy

Oct 9, 2008
@staika: *Smack on the head with a lightsaber* Don't think, young padawan. Do!

Jak23

Oct 1, 2010
On an unrelated topic (again), does anyone else have a PSN account? If you do message it to me, if you want to be my friend. You do want to be my friend, don't you?

staika

Aug 3, 2009
@Schizzy: Yes master I won't think of a number I will just send one.
*sends number by way of the force*

@Jak: I do have one but my PS3 is broken so I can't use it.

staika

Aug 3, 2009
@Jak: I'm sorry, I'd add you if my PS3 worked. Blame the time my basement flooded, that basically killed it for good :/

Jak23

Oct 1, 2010
@staika: I remember that! *sad face* I mean, that poor poor thing... <_<

staika

Aug 3, 2009
@Jak: it seems like a lot of funny things have been happening to me this past year. Doesn't help that I almost broke my wrist a few hours ago bowling >.>

Link_to_Future

Good Dog. Best Friend.
Nov 19, 2009
RaNDM G is so influential, he didn't send a number we are familiar with. He willed a new one into existence.

Jak23

Oct 1, 2010
@staika: I didn't curse you! Stop insinuating that I cursed you, because I didn't! >.>
@Link: It appears I underestimated this RaNDM G.

staika

Aug 3, 2009
@Jak: YOU CURSED ME! You caused all these funny things to happen to me. Now you must pay.
*takes out TNT*
DO YOU WANT TO END UP LIKE THE ORANGE!?