Serial Killer Round 39: Return of the Doubles Round (Cycle 12: We Have A Winner!)

Malyc

Bullets... they don't affect me.
Feb 17, 2010
@Trilby: Can you reach me from wherever you are? I dun think soo...

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
@Mal That really depends on where you are, how determined I am and the time-frame in which I must punch you.
It also depends on whether or not I take advice from currency.

Malyc

Feb 17, 2010
@Trilby: And the answers to those questions are as follows: Minnesota, how determined are you?, whenever.

Only you can answer the last one...

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
@Mal: My responses are: Well fuck..., not determined enough to fly internationally!, oh well in that case I might be that determined in the future and why the fuck not.

Malyc

Feb 17, 2010
@Schizzy: AAAAAAAHHHH! ME EYE!!! ME GOOD EYE!!!

Seriously tho, why u do this?

Schizzy

Oct 9, 2008
@Malyc: Marvel made me do it. I've been playing the FB game for the past two weeks, and Luke Cage's Facepunch move cracks me up.

Berenzen

Jul 9, 2011
Yay. The Wild Rose party got slaughtered here in Alberta.

Edit: In the vote I mean, not in the horribly violent-murdery way. I realized that my statement can be a little misconstrued.

Malyc

Feb 17, 2010
@Schizzy: I see... However, why am I the target of your ire?

Link_to_Future

Good Dog. Best Friend.
Nov 19, 2009
The sinking sun burnt a brilliant orange as I first stepped onto the steep cliffs overlooking the sleepy city of Murderville. I took a deep breath, bittersweet about finally reaching my ultimate destination. The rich scent of pine rising from the forest nestled deep below mingled with the lingering freshness that had been left behind by the soothing April rain that had graced my hike to this magnificent vista. Had this been any other day of my life, this moment would have been perfect. I would have likely sat back on the cool stone and taken some photographs of the brilliant hues cast by the day?s dying hours.

But this was not any other day.

It was the last day.

I reached into the large leather satchel slung across my back and retrieved the small diamond-tipped rock pick that I had carried on my person so many times before. The hardened black rubber of the handle was smooth and slick against the heated precipitation suddenly collecting on my palms. I shook my head, trying to collect my nerves with the sound of my own voice.

?This has to be done. We?ve come so far...sacrificed so much?.?

My voice?it was wavering. The nerves that had been so steadfast just a couple months ago had frayed and withered with the ultimate betrayal I had committed. So many had put their trust in me and I had turned my back upon them, quietly manipulating their understandable confusion and their misguided zeal to fulfill my own ends. It had been heart wrenching to watch them fall before my feet over and over again, knowing that all I had to do to end it all was speak out. Tell them the truth and the entire process would begin again as it had so many times before.

No?that wasn?t the answer. The reason I had so skillfully played my part in all of this was so that horrific cycle would not have to repeat itself again. Today we would finally break the circle. All the lives that we had sacrificed for our cause would not be in vain. Tomorrow we would all be free.

I kneeled upon the solid limestone and ran my hand across the surface. It was cool and smooth.

?Yes?this will be perfect.?

With a swift motion I raised the hammer above my head and dug it into the rock below with as much force as my arm would allow. A harsh clink echoed over the forest as a small shower of brilliant sparks soared from where the steel met the stone. Only a small divot was left in the limestone as I withdrew my tool.

I sighed. There was a lot of work ahead of me before tonight?s ritual could begin.

Zero_ctrl

Feb 26, 2009
Evening

I hiked through the hills on the outskirts of Murderville. This would be my last chance to fully embrace them. As I walked, I contemplated to myself the events that occurred over the past couple of months. Is what we did truly that awful? No, truthfully, it is not. The people saw their friends die; they wanted to stop it.

That's fair.

Unfortunately, they were so caught up in their savage hunt that they didn't stop to realize what was at play here. You see, Drew and I found a dusty, dank tome. Strewn across the pages were images depicting what we figured was a way to break the cycle. Sacrifice everyone in the cursed town.

So we did.

Rather, I assisted Drew. He's the one who wielded the knife. I exploited my own control over my friends to throw them off of the trail. It was that hope to break the cycle, it's what drove us on. Through the slaughter of innocents, through the sick executions of friend against friend, through my own eventual... death. The sun has burned on for too long and now has fallen behind the trees. The long shadows created by the tired star casted over me. The moon will greet me soon. Without delay, now.

I headed up that final hill.

Midnight

Drew had finished chiseling the engravings into the dark limestone. I patted him on the shoulder to let him know I was here. His back tensed ever so slightly, but he did not turn to recognize me.
"Are you ready?" he asked with a timid voice.
"We must do this, Drew. We've come to far just to throw away the opportunity of breaking the cycle. We have no choice."
"But-"
"No. We made our decision two months ago." I interrupted. No matter what point he had to make, I did not want to hear it.
"...Very well, lie down in the center of the pattern."
"We're doing a good thing here." I removed my shirt, laying my skin bare for the knife to make its carvings. The stone was cold already.
"I hope so." He raised the slender blade into the stale dark sky. I watched as beams of moonlight reflected off of the blade. They wavered along the metal violently, displaying the tremors quite visibly.
"Worry not, brother. I'll see you on the other side," I said as I smiled. I closed my eyes. It was not long before I felt the cold steel pierce through my flesh. It started at my abdomen. My warm blood trickled down my waist, filling the chiseled valleys. My breath quickened, but I did not move. I felt warm droplets hitting my chest. His tears, I knew he knew that this was necessary. The pain has turned into a sharp tingling sensation as it moves along my arms and chest. I could feel the swirled symbols that I had memorized being carved into my body. I... I am losing a lot of blood at this point. I am sorry for the facade I put on, but I was not entirely dishonest. I was a spy, but not for those who trusted me. I breathed a final sigh, and allowed death's icy embrace to take over me.

Link_to_Future

Good Dog. Best Friend.
Nov 19, 2009
I attempted to back away from our dark masterpiece but my legs would no longer cooperate. My balance teetered and I crashed upon the stone, sending a sharp wave of pain through my tailbone. I could hear a yelp escape my throat but it seemed so distant to my ears. Everything seemed so distant, so surreal?

Except for that?.

His body lay there atop the horrific engraving that I had carved with my own two hands, each line filling with the lifeblood that had coursed through my brother?s veins not moments before. The knife that I had used so freely on the bodies of our friends now stood erect amongst the fresh wounds in his chest. It was my dread signature, my final golden thread through this wretched tapestry of anguish and pain.

But it was worth it?any moment now we will be free?any?moment?

I couldn?t bring myself to stare at it any longer. I tore my eyes away and crawled to the edge of the cliff, unable to keep my body from attempting to balance the humors. When my illness had subsided, I sprawled across the limestone on my back and stared into the sky.

The stars?they were so brilliant. I had never seen them twinkle so brightly before, even around these parts. Something about it was almost unsettling.

The songs of the crickets and the words of the owls were so loud. I had never heard them so clearly before, even around these parts. Something about it was almost unsettling.

The rock below my back felt so cool and comforting. I don?t think I had ever lain upon the ground and come to that conclusion. Something about it was almost unsettling.

And then it dawned on me.

The stars were bright because there were no lights to drown them out. What lights would there be? There was no one left to turn them on.

The creatures were loud because there were no other voices to hear. What sounds would there be? There was no one left to speak.

The rock was comforting because there was nothing else to touch. Who would want to anyway? I had killed them all?

I sat up with a start and looked back upon the grim spectacle. Nothing had changed. There was no swirl of light or mythical chanting. There was no booming voice telling me that everything had been worth it. There was no indication that the curse had been broken. At that moment, the despair crushed my heart entirely.

Everyone was dead. I had killed them all?

My knees were weak as I stood; every muscle in my body pulsed and shook uncontrollably. I walked firmly toward my bag lying carelessly off to the side of the scene. My hand deftly reached in, searching for the last three items I would need this evening. Once they were in my hand, I moved back to the body of my closest friend and kneeled over him. I looked into the sky to avoid looking into the face of our ultimate misguided folly.

I placed the cigarette in my mouth and lit the golden zippo. I never was one for smoking but for some reason it just seemed right. Then I placed the revolver under my chin.

At that moment, I ascended into infamy.

[hr]

From the shadows, a dark figure silently stood with a sinister smirk spread across his face. The foolish pair upon the cliff side had accomplished far more than they could even comprehend. The ritual had not produced any great light show; that?s not how magic works in the real world. And the ritual had not broken any sort of cycle. This little game of cat and mouse would be played until the end of days.

But the ritual had summoned him.

And now he had a host.

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
[HEADING=2]You read correct, people. We have a winner, for the second time in the history of the game.

{_Congratulations to Link_to_Future!_}
[/HEADING]​

I shall write up the roles in a little bit.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
@Link&Zero: That was an excellent piece. I very much enjoyed reading that.

Link_to_Future

Good Dog. Best Friend.
Nov 19, 2009
@staika: Thanks! We were scratching our heads about doing something sort of special for this. Glad you liked it. ^_^

@Round39: This has been a whole lot of fun guys. :)

@Round40: I'm working on getting the OP up now. Do we want to talk about about renaming the Double Voter or do we want to leave it as is?

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
@Link: Well I like with what you two came up with, I might try to do something cool for my next death but that would involve me dying which I want to avoid XD

Zero_ctrl

Feb 26, 2009
@Double-Voter: Link and I discussed it a bit while we were scheming.
Several of our ideas:
The Judge
The Attorney
The Mayor
The Influential (a bit wordy though)

Any others I forgot, Link?

@Avatar: I changed it.

Schizzy

Oct 9, 2008
@staika: I could try kill you painlessly if it helps.

@Zero+Link: Neato collab-story. Looks like everybody's actions have been in vain this round.

@DoubleVoter:
The Celebrity
The Psychologist
The Key Witness
The Professional Witness
The Politician
The Cheater
The Vote Fixer
The Briber

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
@Zero: Judge is too close to Arbiter, I think.

[HEADING=2]The roles of this round are as follows:[/HEADING]​

Killer #1: Link_to_Future
Killer #2: Malyc
Medic #1: RBMidknight
Medic #2: War Penguin
Spy #1: Zero_ctrl
Spy #2: Nouw
Arbiter #1: Diablo1099
Arbiter #2: SkyeNeko
Double Voter #1: staika
Double Voter #2: VonKlaw
Entwined Pair #1: Fragrance of Mtn Dew, RaNDM G
Entwined Pair #2: Stekepanne5, Loremaster P
Priest #1: Mortis Nuncius
Priest #2: Schizzy

And a small congratulations from me to Pm0n3y and the pair of Link and Zero, who had the best deaths of the round in my opinion.