Serious things you just can't take seriously

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
altnameJag said:
Parasondox said:
altnameJag said:
Zombies. My third mythological example. Does anybody actually think that if zombies started existing, there would be some sort of world-wide breakdown of society? Barring zombie hoards that act like a liquid, of course. But the slow, dumb The Walking Dead style zombie?
The Walking Dead zombies are a bit of a joke. Slow as fuck. Now, World War Z zombies, FUCK. THAT!! Fast running/acting mother fuckers.. unless you are carrying a cold. You will be fine that way. Picky Zombie pricks. Don't want sick brains, or sick carriers with brains, they want the healthy ones. Bet they want gluten free brains too the bastards!!
Seriously. They even spared the guy with the limp. At that rate, just cut off everybody's pinky toe and you should be safe.

I did like Brad Pitt's role as the supreme harbinger of death though. That was pretty entertaining.
See!! They remind me of Hipster zombies. Thinking they know better and act as if they are better.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Parasondox said:
altnameJag said:
Seriously. They even spared the guy with the limp. At that rate, just cut off everybody's pinky toe and you should be safe.

I did like Brad Pitt's role as the supreme harbinger of death though. That was pretty entertaining.
See!! They remind me of Hipster zombies. Thinking they know better and act as if they are better.
Just remembered a possible plot hole. Did the zombies ever react to the Israeli soldier after she lost her hand? Shouldn't she have been as invisible as Limp Boy?

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
altnameJag said:
Parasondox said:
altnameJag said:

Just remembered a possible plot hole. Did the zombies ever react to the Israeli soldier after she lost her hand? Shouldn't she have been as invisible as Limp Boy?
Unless, seeing as the lost hand was fresh and new, maybe the zombies didn't process that compared to the boy who already had the limp for however long? I dunno lol. I liked the movie and can see the flaws. Good observation.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
altnameJag said:
Zombies. My third mythological example. Does anybody actually think that if zombies started existing, there would be some sort of world-wide breakdown of society? Barring zombie hoards that act like a liquid, of course. But the slow, dumb The Walking Dead style zombie?
The Walking Dead killed me with this. You see a machine gun emplacement and a frakin' tank empty with weapons that are full of ammunition. How in the world did slow moving zombies you can kill with a bat over run machine guns and tanks?! At what point did the tank crew decide that they had a better chance of surviving by GETTING OUT OF THE SEALED TANK than fighting from within it?

There is no way in hell the Army would be so inept as to be over run by zombies.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
Gordon_4 said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
So I've been watching the show Broadchurch on netflix and I realized that I can't take British court dramas, or the British legal system in general seriously.

Why's that you ask?

Well, British judges and lawyers wear stupid powered wigs and I just can't get over it.

Look at this silly costume party bullshit:

British people, how has this survived in your legal system for so long? How do you not just burst out laughing when you enter a court room?

So, what are things that you can't take seriously even though you're apparently supposed to?
Austalia uses the same thing, my guess is because we grow up seeing it, they becomes less outlandish and more just a part of the landscape. Doesn't mean I don't think it's kind of silly but fact remains the man in the silly powdered wig is a Judge who can decide my fate. That probably drains the comedy a bit.
I never could take legal professionals in wigs and dresses seriously but it's nothing compared to our politics

Roboshi

Jul 28, 2008
Dirty Hipsters said:
So I've been watching the show Broadchurch on netflix and I realized that I can't take British court dramas, or the British legal system in general seriously.

Why's that you ask?

Well, British judges and lawyers wear stupid powered wigs and I just can't get over it.

Look at this silly costume party bullshit:

British people, how has this survived in your legal system for so long? How do you not just burst out laughing when you enter a court room?

So, what are things that you can't take seriously even though you're apparently supposed to?
The Wigs are mostly tradition but many judges have said it gives them some anonymity when in the public as in court people just focus on the wigs. Dramas often play them up though they are usually reserved for the serious cases (ironically) and so a good 70% of cases don't use them.

Roboshi

Jul 28, 2008
Gorrath said:
altnameJag said:
The Walking Dead killed me with this. You see a machine gun emplacement and a frakin' tank empty with weapons that are full of ammunition. How in the world did slow moving zombies you can kill with a bat over run machine guns and tanks?! At what point did the tank crew decide that they had a better chance of surviving by GETTING OUT OF THE SEALED TANK than fighting from within it?

There is no way in hell the Army would be so inept as to be over run by zombies.
Depends on the type, but the biggest problem was the fact a machine gun would practically aerosol the infected blood and I'm not sure how well filtered the air is in a tank.

Azrael the Cat

Dec 13, 2008
Cowabungaa said:
Life? Or is that too easy an answer?

I mean, not that I'm going full Camus-levels of "Life is absurd!" but sheesh lighten up people. Us Westerners/affluent people that is. People living in deadly, awful areas are errr, excused for obvious reasons.

Just as easy an answer would be not simply US politics, but the 2016 Primaries specifically. Mainly because, well...

It's absurd. Farcical, even. Even though I should take it seriously because that shit is dangerous. I've been listening to some stuff from the Republican debates, and even some of the Democratic debates, and what gets shouted around there, not just by Trump, is just so insane and out of touch with reality that I can't help but laugh at the craziness of it all.

Yet there's a fair chance that someone with insane ideas like that gets to run the most powerful nation on the planet and inadvertedly having a large effect on my life, someone not even living close to the US, as well. Hell that fact alone is so absurd I can't help but laugh. We're all up in arms about democracy here in the West but in the end the world as a whole looks like nothing else than a failed state.

Silentpony said:
I'm sorry but getting punched in the face will all be more serious than harassing tweets.
Say that to the people who committed suicide over it. No, getting punched in the face is not worse than having your mind fucked with and getting completely ostracized and isolated. They're both terrible things, I'm a bit of a stickler for that kinda stuff.
CeeBod said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Beefeater guards. I don't think anybody takes them seriously though.
May I intoduce you to the protectors of the Vatican City, the Swiss Guards? -

Even when they're not in full dress uniform, they look like they're escapees from a Costume Party:

If we're going on a roll with those, what about the Greek honour guards then:

Guys, what's with the shoe-pompoms? I mean, really?
I REALLY want to see somebody one day attempt an actual crime of a kind that's too serious for the guards to wait for the 'normal security' to arrive (like an assassination attempt on an official that's too junior to have his own armed security entourage). I just want to see if they're going to actually make use of that pike they carry around:)

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Roboshi said:
Gorrath said:
altnameJag said:

Depends on the type, but the biggest problem was the fact a machine gun would practically aerosol the infected blood and I'm not sure how well filtered the air is in a tank.
well, considering people get the blood on them all the time I wouldn't be particularly worried. As for the tank, it's equipped with NBC (Nuke, Bio, Chem) protection. There would be no issues even if the show was aggressive about infected blood flying everywhere and infecting people. What's more, the soldiers themselves would also have NBC suits, which if we were facing known biological agents with a high chance of infection that way, we'd be wearing them.

Source: Me, I was in the Army.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
Shit gets better in motion:

What on earth?
Before I go on, I'm firmly aware that if these guys needed to, they could kick my *ss from here to Timbuktu.
I can generally take things seriously if I'm meant to (kind of in the wrong thread, aren't I?), the Queen's Guard for example, I take very seriously. Sure, it's easy to make fun of their silly hats and robotic movement, but I find that a little intimidating, you know, i't very impressive discipline.

Maybe it's because I'm not very cultured and know very little about these guys but they look like Disney animatronics. Maybe the movements represent something, I don't know, I'm sure if I learned something about the march I'd change my mind but it just looks silly.

Halfway through this post though, I did skim the pages and learn that they got spikes in those shoes and I've gone from laughter to nervous laughter.