Seriously, we're barely a day into the new year and I'm already getting questioned by the police

knight of zendikar

Sep 21, 2009
Tranka Verrane said:
nebtheslayer95 said:
coming from a ginger in america, i know what youre talking about. just let it go, be the bigger person. or hell, just move away.
Wait, what? I thought the Americans had a thing for redheads?
No typicaly theres a strange bias towards gingers. dont no why there just is? fuck if i know.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
That's absolutely outrageous.

I was arrested, charged with assault. Here's what happened:

Normal day at school, talking with the lads, just generally larking around. I knocked into a girl in the year below and, being the gentleman that I am, immediately apologized. She slapped me around the face and I took it and went back to my friends.

Later, I was walking home from school and she was coming up behind me. I started walking a bit faster because I'm not getting involved in that kind of that thing! She started running and pushed me forward. I turned around to face her and asked her what she wanted. She slapped me once more, shouting profanities. I pushed her back and she fell to the floor. I then walked off and got my bus home.

The next morning I'm rudely awakened by the police. I'm taken down to the police station for 5 hours! A day wasted for not letting some ***** push me around!

grimsprice

Jun 28, 2009
Kortney said:
grimsprice said:
Kortney said:
grimsprice said:
Wait... they use the word feral?

Oh yes, they say feral all the time. It's always feral, stupid, disgusting, (insert swear words), African. To be fair, it's only a small group of girls who do this. Everyone else has been very kind.

And so, how does everyone else react? If that happened here, we'd all look at them like they're a mutant. Its just not... even... a possibility.
If any boys hear them say it, they tell them to fuck off and to leave me alone. But because the girls who say it are the "cool kids" quite often no other female has the balls to speak up to them.
Wow, i'm sorry you live in a place like that. To me thats... twilight zone shit. Its so out there, if it happened here, no one would know how to react. We'd all just stare at her(/him) until she left. Like she was some sort of alien. So um... Where do you live?

Kortney

Nov 2, 2009
grimsprice said:
Kortney said:
grimsprice said:
Kortney said:
grimsprice said:

Oh yes, they say feral all the time. It's always feral, stupid, disgusting, (insert swear words), African. To be fair, it's only a small group of girls who do this. Everyone else has been very kind.

And so, how does everyone else react? If that happened here, we'd all look at them like they're a mutant. Its just not... even... a possibility.
If any boys hear them say it, they tell them to fuck off and to leave me alone. But because the girls who say it are the "cool kids" quite often no other female has the balls to speak up to them.
Wow, i'm sorry you live in a place like that. To me thats... twilight zone shit. Its so out there, if it happened here, no one would know how to react. We'd all just stare at her(/him) until she left. Like she was some sort of alien. So um... Where do you live?
I live in New York city right now. More specifically, Chelsea Manhattan.

Kolossov

Dec 20, 2009
I stayed on Skye for six weeks to carry out a mapping project for my degree just this summer. I really enjoyed it too, and we didn't meet any belligerent people... So long as you're not under any kind of physical threat I find that remaining friendly (albeit cautious) works best in almost any situation.

SmartIdiot

Feb 10, 2009
Kolossov said:
I stayed on Skye for six weeks to carry out a mapping project for my degree just this summer. I really enjoyed it too, and we didn't meet any belligerent people... So long as you're not under any kind of physical threat I find that remaining friendly (albeit cautious) works best in almost any situation.
Thanks for reminding me, forgot to add that bit. Skye is a lovely place to visit and I think everyone should go there for a few days at some point in their lives. However actually living there is total hell, the locals are bastards, the kids are worse.

loremazd

Dec 20, 2008
Honestly if you're the type of person who smashes a phone over wasting 30 minutes, you might need to look inwards. It's difficult to judge situations like this though, and it may well have been the straw that broke the camel's back, but that is a quite violent reaction to something most would just roll their eyes at.

SmartIdiot

Feb 10, 2009
loremazd said:
Honestly if you're the type of person who smashes a phone over wasting 30 minutes, you might need to look inwards. It's difficult to judge situations like this though, and it may well have been the straw that broke the camel's back, but that is a quite violent reaction to something most would just roll their eyes at.
I suppose it was kinda the straw that broke the camels back. I just happened to get a text after being questioned so I launched the phone at the wall. Over-reacting? Yeah, probably. But I've had to put up with this shit for 10 years and it still goes on, man's gotta vent somehow without actually hurting anyone.

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
Kortney said:
grimsprice said:

You should show them exactly how feral you can be, if you take my meaning.

Joa_Belgium

Aug 29, 2009
Well, I did have a strange encounter with a shoplifter last year. It was on the 12th or 13th of November while I was doing my shopping, a few days before my birthday (irrelevant information, but I know it was a few days before). The man was French, just so you know and this happened in Flanders (the northern part of Belgium). As you all undoubtedly know, the relationship between Flanders and Wallonia is beyond rubbish and both sides of the country are always arguing. Hence the political issues of our country which are well-known beyond the borders of Europe.

Anyway, the anecdote. I was doing my normal shopping when I suddenly notice a man giving me weird and murdering glances without blinking his eyes, which immediately gave me a very strange impression. He had a cardboard box on top of a deep freezer while he was putting items under his shirt which he tucked back in his pants, so that nothing could fall out. At first, I wasn't a hundred percent sure if he was stealing, but his behaviour kept on getting stranger. He was staring at everyone, as if every customer inside the store was a potential tattletale.

I decided to head to the checkout as I had all my groceries. I was lining up at checkout B while the man in question was at checkout A. As I informed the cashier about his activities, he suddenly retreated from his queue and hastely went into an isle. While I was heading to the car and putting all my items inside the boot, the man angrily went to the cashier with a now empty shirt and cardboard box and yelled at her in front of the entire store: "VOIS, RIEN DEDANS," which is French for "Look, there's nothing inside!" This, I heard a week after, when I returned to the store for some more shopping. He also asked her what I had said to her, but the cashier refused to say what exactly.

In the meantime I was done with putting the items inside the boot and took place behind my steering wheel, while suddenly the French man came rushing out of the store, came to my window and ticked on it. As I opened my window, he arrogantly asked me: "Est-ce qu'il ya un problème?" (translation: "Is there a problem?"). At this point I seriously lost my temper. I started the engine and told him first to speak Dutch to me. I drove out of my parking space and yelled at him: "AND NEXT TIME, YOU PAY FOR YOUR FOOD!!" At this point I drove away from the store while the man was giving me gestures to step out of the vehicle and run amok in his face.

I have never seen the man since in the store, but it was certainly a thief. You could call it racist, since I discriminated the man for his language. However, there is a difference. If the man was a tourist, I wouldn't have reacted in such an aggressive manner and replied in French. And even then it's not exactly respectful not even to try and explain yourself first in Dutch.

I would've even accepted an English reply without a problem. But as I have said: the relationship between Flanders and Wallonia has grown so sour that a lot of people have had it with the French arrogant side of Belgium. And right-wing politics are enjoying a huge increase in votes. Actually, in a lot of countries that is the case, with the growing percentage of muslims and immigrants who refuse to adapt. But now I'm going off-topic. But anyway, you get my point.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
Well I'm an Australian living in Australia. Though alot of peeople constantly question me and often berate me because apparently I speak with an American accent. I just talk normally and I feel that I sound like everyone else, but believe it or not people have often given me racist remarks like I am American, which I really can't wrap my head around.

Kortney

Nov 2, 2009
Berethond said:
Kortney said:
grimsprice said:

I sure should, but more often than not I opt for the brilliant walk away crying method.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Jaranja said:

Normal day at school, talking with the lads, just generally larking around. I knocked into a girl in the year below and, being the gentleman that I am, immediately apologized. She slapped me around the face and I took it and went back to my friends.

Later, I was walking home from school and she was coming up behind me. I started walking a bit faster because I'm not getting involved in that kind of that thing! She started running and pushed me forward. I turned around to face her and asked her what she wanted. She slapped me once more, shouting profanities. I pushed her back and she fell to the floor. I then walked off and got my bus home.

The next morning I'm rudely awakened by the police. I'm taken down to the police station for 5 hours! A day wasted for not letting some ***** push me around!
Did they realize that she was antagonizing you? This just sounds completely ludicrous. Surely there was some justice involved.

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
Kortney said:
Berethond said:
Kortney said:
grimsprice said:

I sure should, but more often than not I opt for the brilliant walk away crying method.
Awwww :(
There's no reason to be sad. We all love you here. Hopefully they'll realize how awful they're being.

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
Nope, I am Australian....

People seem to melt the moment I open my mouth. Seriously it is insane, if this wasn't a family site the things I could tell...

LostProxy

Dec 4, 2009
Jaranja said:

Wait so she started it and you got charged? Wtf?

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
grimsprice said:
Kortney said:
Have I ever been in a situation where I have been put down for my nationality? Yes. Heaps of times. I was born and raised in Zimbabwe (I now live in the States) and many of the cool girls at school like to remind everyone that I am a "feral, stupid, disgusting African" before people start to like me.

I've never been assaulted for it like you though. My advice would not to get too drawn into it. Be proud of being English, and hold your head up high.

Scots beating up on Brits?

Gingers are oppressed in america?

Where the fuck do you people live? I mean, i've heard that Seattle is one of the most tolerant, P.C. cities in the world but geez. The world can't be that bad of a place can it?
Yes it can, I have lived in some of those places. Those places are why I keep moving back to Washington. You want bad try being an American on an extended stay in some South East Asian countries, after a while I stopped trying to figure out what they where calling me. They where more then happy to take my money from me, at twice the rate they charged everyone else.

Even Eastern Washington can get bad. I know I get mistaken for a Native American often enough, lucky me being the size I am most don't have the guts to say anything to my face.

Western Washington however is awesome.

Joa_Belgium

Aug 29, 2009
Eukaryote said:
Why do people hate other people because of something their ancestors did, despite humans not having any choice who they are born to?

Guess some people just don't have a brain.
Well, it wasn't exactly the point with Belgium. This country is nothing more than a failed marriage between the Flemish and the Walloons. There is a very unstable relationship between both sides of the country, because Wallonia suffers from high unemployment which turned out to be a very bad deal for Flanders. Especially in these bad economic times. Because of their lack to educate themselves properly or to make an effort, the Flemish population is forced to give the Walloons a vast sum of money each year so that their economy and social system would not collapse. They also refuse to adapt to the Flemish side of the country while it is not the other way around. That's about it in a nutshell.

Sir_Tor

Nov 29, 2009
Grand_Pamplemousse said:
You're in SCOTLAND... seriously, what do you expect?

Anyway, just move to south east England. We're nice and gentle over here, and... and we baked you a cake.
Don't listen to him! The cake is a lie!!!