Sexist Ad Lands EB Games Australia In Trouble

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
As a woman, look at all the fuck I give.... Oh man, I forgot to bring any.

It's not a myth that some women don't like how much time men play video games. Who cares?

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
RaikuFA said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
It certainly lacks tact, but isn't as bad as that new Dr. Pepper ad. I noticed the "Man's Guide To Trading" at the start. It is just as bad. The creators should be canned/reprimanded for the poor ad.
What Dr. Pepper ad? Is it that bad?
Yeah, alienating half of their consumer base. Brilliant move.
That sounded more like an attempt at reverse psychology to me. 'Women can't handle this soda!'. Cue women going out to buy the soda to stick it to the man or something.

Edit: After watching it again, I'm 110% certain that's what it is. The commercial doesn't even pretend to attempt to take itself seriously.

Domehammer

Jun 17, 2011
I see a rather bad tasteless joke but not anything sexist. People are just too sensitive to anything they perceive as negative. Sometimes just seems like people just want to prove someone wrong. That something they did or say is bad and that they are right so they can feel gratified for being right.

Balvale

Oct 17, 2008
I was expecting sexism, instead I see a mediocre trading ad. Disappointing to say the least. It was hardly sexist. As if showing a picture of a woman dusting sets the feminism movement back 20 years...

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
And yet, I still laughed. The message was communicated in such a way that I paid more than cursory attention to it. Bravo Gamestop.

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
ShadowStar42 said:
SteewpidZombie said:
If you burst out laughing after reading that people were offended...raise you hand *Raises hand*. That was just a HILARIOUSLY bad advertisement, and I'm sure that women would be WAAAAAAAAAY more offended by something like a Axe body spray commercial or the numerous other things out there that ARE being sexist. (Note: My examples aren't for sexism purposes, just proof that THIS commercial of all things is nothing to really scoff at)
So by your logic, if someone comes up to you and kicks you in the face, you shouldn't do anything about because hey, they could have stabbed you?
...what? How do you get kicking and stabbing from my comment? If anything it'd be more like a guy yelling at me from a passing car, yeah it's annoying, but in the grand scheme of things I couldn't give half a crap since it's not going to actually affect me in any way.

So if some AD came on tv about a feminist organization, and they were shouting that all men are sexist pigs who should be casterated...I...Would...LAUGH...Because if I let something as stupid as a insignifigant advertisement offend me or ruin my day, then I am just as small minded as the people who made it.

DarthSka

Mar 28, 2011
It's a really cheesy and bad joke, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't laugh at least a little. To me, it's the like the new Dr. Pepper commercial. It's so obviously "sexist" that it's not supposed to be taken seriously. Let's all breathe in, breathe out, and relax.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
ehhh I find it annoying as Im EB games more than any other store......Its jsut stupid steryotypes really

BringBackBuck

Apr 1, 2009
At least this isn't the gamer stereotype of 16 year old nerdy kid. Instead, married normal bloke about 30ish.

Yay, a step forward?

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
Shark Wrangler said:
Know I don't see a problem with it at all. There are tons of ads for women that make fun of husbands. Thats a double standard ladies. This country needs to pull the tampon out and grow a pair. Everyone gets offended, but so what, I don't give a crap. like to tell you that I wasn't offended, don't push what offends you onto me.
Your absolutely right. I don't know why anyone is blowing the whistle on this. Sure, MAYBE it highlights some...kind of...stereotype, but it was obviously meant to be humorous. Australia should focus less on picking apart bad advertisements for used video game stores and focus on getting their politicians to stop taking away their mature rated games.

Orinon

Jan 24, 2010
This was really really stupid. Like there's a constant issue of developers assuming most of their audience are male heterosexual (straight) teenage boys.
This is a joke in bad taste, extreme bad taste. It's using stereotypes that are really hurtful and saying its all a big joke. Gender biased issues aren't a big deal and we can make jokes about them, that's what this ad is saying here. That is Complete lack of respect.
in fact its sort of like making a joke about 911, on its anniversary.

And as for the its written by a female argument that's like the retarded defense jerks use when they say
"well I know a black guy and he doesn't think its racist."

Now I'm just a guy but this to me seemed like a dumb idea.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Who found this sexist? i bet it's someone who doesn'T even play videogames. I BET YOU .

Off topic: Anyone else thinks that the number of posts should be currency on the escapist? Could be used for wagers between escapists.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Orinon said:
This was really really stupid. Like there's a constant issue of developers assuming most of their audience are male heterosexual (straight) teenage boys.
This is a joke in bad taste, extreme bad taste. It's using stereotypes that are really hurtful and saying its all a big joke. Gender biased issues aren't a big deal and we can make jokes about them, that's what this ad is saying here. That is Complete lack of respect.

And as for the its written by a female argument that's like the retarded defense jerks use when they say

...This...this is satire, right? Please tell me it's satire. Please.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
Andy Chalk said:
That's the part that really sticks in the craw of Aussie developer Rebecca Fernandez, who described the ad as a "massive step backward in the stereotypes of both men and women."
Wasn't that the point of the entire ad?

rangerman351

Dec 27, 2010
Okay,
a) It wasn't very good
b)It wasn't overly sexist
c) even if it was offensive, its partially true. No offense to the exception, but most females in my life say almost the same thing. My sister, mother, girlfriend all the same. "stop wasting your money." Sorry but sometimes the truth hurts and it will always drag down the exceptions to the rule.

IronicBeet

Jun 27, 2009
Yes, let's ***** about a video game ad when there are women in third-world countries that have the lips of their vaginas cut off to ensure that they don't get any pleasure out of being raped by rebels. This is the most worthwhile battle that's been fought since PETA got their cocks in a knot about stabbing a rodent in Battlefield 3.

Can you tell I'm in a terrible mood right now?

Gmans uncle

Oct 17, 2011
At first I thought the whole thing was satirical, IE: the 50's aesthetic and so forth, but I don't think that was the approach they went for...
This calls for a...

Think I use this too much?

Orinon

Jan 24, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
Orinon said:

...This...this is satire, right? Please tell me it's satire. Please.
I'm confused what are you hoping i'm criticizing by way of a joke? for that matter where's the joke? COuld you please State what it is that is possibly bothering you?