Sexual Predators (mature topic)

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
So I've got a question for people out there in the world...

Joe Mc'techdude is a technician who has never missed a day of work, is bright, works hard, and never asks for a raise. You don't personally know Joe, but you've heard a -lot- of good things about them.

One day, Joe gets arrested for sexually assaulting a child. You do not know the age of the child, how he feels on the matter, if it's actually true, etc. ALL YOU KNOW is that he was arrested for sexually assaulting a child.

Many years later, after being released from prison, he has been filed in the system for his crime, and everyone on your block has been informed of what he is.

For some reason, you are an owner of a local electronics/general tech-goods store. About a week after Joe has entered your neighborhood, he comes into your office and explains that due to his past, he's been unable to get a job anywhere in town that his profession as a tech-guy can be used. He claims that no one will hire him due to his crimes he commited.

Joe has made no mention of why he commited the crimes he did, or if he feels bad about what he did, etc. All you know is that he was recently released from jail, that his crimes were that of sexual assault of a child, and that his resumee he turned in is the best you've seen in months, as he has worked for many top-of-the-class companies.

You are now given a choice, you may not ask any questions to Joe regarding his past. You must choose if you hire him on the spot, or if you don't hire him at all. Do you hire him?

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Having an innate distrust of every single human being on this planet, I hire him. If he is that valuable of an employee, his past doesn't really matter to me.

However, at first sign of that past coming back and making itself shown in a negative way, he will be let go.

spartan1077

Aug 24, 2010
Well, if I hired him depends on many things.
One, how long was he in prison?
Two, do kids come in the store?
Three, do I have kids?

If he spent not long in prison, no right away.
If yes to any of the two, no.
If no to all of the two, still no. I like the money my business pulls in.

FlyAwayAutumn

Rating: Negative Awesome
May 19, 2009
Yes I would. One black mark on a person's history is not enough for me to condemn him, besides he did his time.

spartan1077 said:
Three, do I have kids?

If yes to any of the three, no.
"How long was he in prison?"

"Yes."

I think you see the problem there.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Yes. Tech people don't spend any time interacting with children while on the job except possibly in schools, which he would be obviously be barred from. Also, you've given inconsistent data in your hypothetical scenario. You say he's been released from prison, but that we only know he was arrested? Are we to presume knowledge of his conviction as well? Obviously checking that would be the first course of business.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
I'd ask him if it would get in the way of work, but other than that, I'd hire him.

I don't know any of the circumstances. When the time came, I'd probably ask him about it if he was comfortable with talking.

Mimssy

Dec 1, 2009
I would have to look into the crime more. If it is my business, I would want to protect it and my customers.

Ewyx

Dec 3, 2008
Depends on the neighborhood, but hiring him is, unfortunately a terrible business decision. I don't personally condemn him, but I am fully aware, that with the mentality most people have it would draw a lot of bad attention to my own store.

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
spartan1077 said:
Three, do I have kids?

If yes to any of the three, no.
Wait, how the hell can you answer yes to the first one?

Anyway... toughy

I guess I'd hire, but if it were... I don't know, a real life ordeal, I'd ask him a few questions first.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
A conviction doesn't mean he did it.
And even if he did do it, he's served his time. As long as he doesn't do it again, I see no reason not to give a qualified person a job.

I'd doubt I'd be particularily warm towards him, though. His actions would disgust me, and I would not be interested in being his friend.
Which isn't to say I'd be rude or hostile. Just cold.

teh lurker

Nov 11, 2009
Personally speaking, I'd hire him. I have a belief that "mistakes are tolerated, so long as they are not repeated". I would make it clear to Joe that I was not going to ask about his past, but if he did anything illegal again and I caught wind of it, I'd have to let him go.

Everyone, no matter how depraved, deserves a second chance.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Kakashi on crack said:
So I've got a question for people out there in the world...

Joe Mc'techdude is a technician who has never missed a day of work, is bright, works hard, and never asks for a raise. You don't personally know Joe, but you've heard a -lot- of good things about them.

One day, Joe gets arrested for sexually assaulting a child. You do not know the age of the child, how he feels on the matter, if it's actually true, etc. ALL YOU KNOW is that he was arrested for sexually assaulting a child.

Many years later, after being released from prison, he has been filed in the system for his crime, and everyone on your block has been informed of what he is.

For some reason, you are an owner of a local electronics/general tech-goods store. About a week after Joe has entered your neighborhood, he comes into your office and explains that due to his past, he's been unable to get a job anywhere in town that his profession as a tech-guy can be used. He claims that no one will hire him due to his crimes he commited.

Joe has made no mention of why he commited the crimes he did, or if he feels bad about what he did, etc. All you know is that he was recently released from jail, that his crimes were that of sexual assault of a child, and that his resumee he turned in is the best you've seen in months, as he has worked for many top-of-the-class companies.

You are now given a choice, you may not ask any questions to Joe regarding his past. You must choose if you hire him on the spot, or if you don't hire him at all. Do you hire him?
I hire him on the spot. He served his time in prison and payed for his crime, in my eyes, he's no different than anyone else. He's well qualified, and he's unlikely to get a job because of his past, even though he has already "paid his debt to society." Welcome aboard Joe.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Sure, as long as he understands that he'll have to probably stay in the back of the store fixing things rather then working with customers. That has nothing to with his crime for me, but more to do with the perception that my customers have. It is a business after all.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
I'd give him a go. I don't know that I'd be all that sure I'd be doing the right thing, but I'd give him a chance. One chance.
He'd certainly be working behind the scenes though. Definitely not the PR person, or coming face to face with customers.

Blue_vision

Elite Member
Mar 31, 2009
If I don't know his past/motives/story, then I wouldn't hire him. Just as I wouldn't hire any random person who just walks into my store. But if they told me about themselves and I got to know them (and trust and respect them,) I'd probably hire anybody.

EDIT: The needier the more likely I'd hire them. But I'd still need them to tell me about themselves, so I'd still say no.

Also, I'm interested as to how this idea came about. Mind providing some context OP?

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Nope.

Word would get around that I hired a sex offender. That's like an endorsement and me saying that my business and I approve of sexual predators.

Joe isn't the issue. It's the public. And since the public is generally a giant mass of ignorant morons, I'd lose tons of business, and my business would likely be forced to close. Then I'd have no job, and probably lose my home.

Joe isn't worth all that.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
I dont trust anyone in this world and if he has the top notch skills hell why not he can have the job