Sexy Gaming: A Do's and Do Nots Discussion

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
For starters I figured I'd cut RIGHT to the chase...

This is seen as a problem by many, a demeaning over sexualization of the feminine... right?

Now as a "Modern Male" I try to be understanding and mindful of feminist concerns as long as they don't condemn me as subhuman for my "misfortune" of being born with a penis and an excess of testosterone. Because of this I do most assuredly understand the concern with the vast array of scantily clad females who parade across the gaming scene almost en masse.

It's DAMN hard to find a game that doesn't, in some way, present us with a "sexy" female character of some sort. This is viewed by most female gamers as a "bad thing" and I try to be sypmathetic to that... however I must pose the following question...

What is wrong with sexy?

I love "sexy" and I'd much rather see better looking members of BOTH sexes on my gaming screen than people who are "ugly for the sake of being ugly"

In terms of Male characters, I'd much rather look at this...

Than this...

I really dislike the look of Marcus Fenix, I hate playing him on screen... he reminds me of those pockmarked fucks who used to bug me in Junior High. He looks like a piece of meat shaped into human form... I'd much rather play as The Prince. I mean come on, The Prince in all of his manly hotitude and shirtlessness does not remotely offend me, and I, like most PEOPLE, have body issues. I'm a short, stocky and overweight white dude who wishes he looked a little more like the Brad Pitts, Ed Nortons or Johnny Depps of the world (though personally I'd most like to look like Robert Downey Jr.). Yet I am not really jealous or offended by them in fact, I LIKE them. I want the sexy, I don't want ugly game characters... I want to live a FANTASY, I want to play as someone far removed from myself, otherwise why would I be persuing Escapism?

I'm not really trying to make a point, rather I'm trying to pose a question to the gaming community...

Can we preserve "Sexy" and appease both sexes?

IMPORTANT EDIT:

Because this thread has become so picture heavy, both I, the Mods and the other members of the Escapists with slower connections would greatly appreciate it if you put all of your pictures in Spoiler Tags, including the picture of Ivy in this post. It just cleans everything up. Thanks in advance.

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
As long as nothing is over the top I'm okay with it. Sadly most games tend to exaggerate some features, especially for females. But I don't really care, during most of the times I get to see the character from the back anyway...

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
It really doesn't need to get ugly you know...

I'm pretty sure we can be civil over a subject like "sexy"

EDIT:

scnj said:
RapeLay is sexy.
This is...worrying...

Though I suppose while RapeLay is just fantasy... it makes Gaming and Gamers look bad and I don't think anyone can argue that it's anything BUT sexist and demeaning to women.

DrDeath3191

Mar 11, 2009
Can we preserve "Sexy" and appease both sexes?
Of course we can. However, the reason for the sexualization of female leads is simply because of the audience of gaming: Males, aged 30-35. We certainly could put more (oh, what's a famous attractive male...?) Zack Effron-esque chatacters in a game, but more likely than not, it won't sell. Having hot women, however, can sell TONS. Just look at DOA.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Seconded. Ick.
The only thing sexy in that picture is the ridiculously improbably sword-whip.
I may be wrong, but if I remember right they actually had weapons like that. Never really caught on for obvious reasons, but it did exist. It was basically a strong leather center with blades attached to it. Didn't extend or anything, but was useful for getting around shields and the like. Gonna go see if I can find it.

Edit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urumi

Found it. Turns out I was wrong, it's actually just a long piece of thin, flexible steel.

scarbunny

Beware of geeks bearing gifs.
Aug 11, 2008
Broloth said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
That's not sexy...
it is to me...
Yep Id agree thats pretty sexy.

Although I dont rush out a buy games that have half naked busty women on the front, but if a game I wanted any way happens to have them then its a bonus. in fact I cant think of a game I own that has an overtly sexual female character, apart from Tomb Raider.

9of9

Feb 14, 2008
You know, I always figured the same - that there's gotta be a decent compromise between sexiness and not alienating the gender completely. As far as female characters go, Faith in Mirror's Edge is the epitome of the strong, realistic woman, right?

Right?

No. When you try to do this right, you immediately get hundreds of whiners complaining that this looks butt ugly:

And that she should have looked like this:

There's just no winning with these things. If you try to add even the slightest semblance of realism into your female characters, your adolescent male demographic starts throwing a tantrum over the fact that the protagonist doesn't sport double-D breasts.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
PICTURE SNIP
That's not sexy...
Seconded. Ick.
The only thing sexy in that picture is the ridiculously improbable sword-whip.
Ammend Ivy with "SEXY FEMALE GAME CHARACTER OF CHOICE" and lets move on shall we? I was just using Ivy as a recent example.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
I don't think that's possible, but if you can prove me wrong, I will be...astounded.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urumi

It's fun times.

Rafe

Apr 18, 2009
scnj said:
RapeLay is sexy.
?????
Wow, well I just searched 'Rapelay' and....
herehttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/4611161/Rapelay-virtual-rape-game-banned-by-Amazon.html
You gotta be kidding me, that's sexy?