Sexy Gaming: A Do's and Do Nots Discussion

Cozzzy

Mar 6, 2009
I don't mind how sexy any of the characters in a game are; like you said I'd rather play as the Prince then Marcus Fenix.

It does kinda get annoying seeing how a lot of games resort to using some barely-clothed-super-busty girl to help advertise themselves though.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
9of9 said:
You know, I always figured the same - that there's gotta be a decent compromise between sexiness and not alienating the gender completely. As far as female characters go, Faith in Mirror's Edge is the epitome of the strong, realistic woman, right?

Right?

No. When you try to do this right, you immediately get hundreds of whiners complaining that this looks butt ugly:

- PICTURE SNIP -

There's just no winning with these things. If you try to add even the slightest semblance of realism into your female characters, your adolescent male demographic starts throwing a tantrum over the fact that the protagonist doesn't sport double-D breasts.
There was a back lash to Faith? I thought she was fairly popular?

The only reason I don't find Faith attractive is that, minus the tattoo, she looks exactly like a good friend of mine... which is more of a "la la la la not paying attention" than anything.

EDIT:

For the record, despite being one of the most recent female leads, Faith is seen as one of the more realistic "sexy" female characters.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
For starters I figured I'd cut RIGHT to the chase...
That's not sexy...
Seconded. Ick.
The only thing sexy in that picture is the ridiculously improbable sword-whip.
Thirded up. Alrighty then devs: when making characters, two hints:
1)Make your proportions just a eensie bit realistic (no more GIGABOOBAGE)
2)PLEASE, no more bondage slave outfits. Or can I at least have a little more fabric?

I mean, it's ok to have nice, reasonably sized breasts and sorta sexy outfits, but there is a point where it gets to be: "Oh, hey, let's make this character look like a whore to get 13-year-olds all over our game!"

Sex sells, but too much sex makes you look like you should be selling wares in the red light district.

Cpt_Oblivious said:
sorry user name taken. said:
isn't she suppose to be 39?
I've seen much sexier 39 year olds than that.

*Runs to Google*
Aaaand now I have to do that as well. Curse you Google Images! Wait, that's where I get pictures for my reviews... Drat.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
scotth266 said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:

*Runs to Google*
Aaaand now I have to do that as well. Curse you Google Images! Wait, that's where I get pictures for my reviews... Drat.
If we get SFW pics of what a female game protagonist should look like, are we allowed to post?

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Cpt_Oblivious said:
scotth266 said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:

*Runs to Google*
If we get SFW pics of what a female game protagonist should look like, are we allowed to post?
That's a Moderator Call more than anything, but usually picture posting is fine as long as it doesn't get out of hand though.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
scotth266 said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:

*Runs to Google*
What Pedro says above. To be honest, this is a thread that begs for picture comparisons, so as long as people USE SPOILER TAGS TO AVOID CLUTTER and AVOID SPURIOUS/DISTASTEFUL images, things should be relatively ok.

Note: not ragging on you, just trying to avoid a flood of non-spoilered images and image quotes. IT MAKES ME UNHAPPY HAVING TO SCROLL THROUGH ALL THAT.

9of9 said:
You know, I always figured the same - that there's gotta be a decent compromise between sexiness and not alienating the gender completely. As far as female characters go, Faith in Mirror's Edge is the epitome of the strong, realistic woman, right?

Right?

No. When you try to do this right, you immediately get hundreds of whiners complaining that this looks butt ugly:

And that she should have looked like this:

There's just no winning with these things. If you try to add even the slightest semblance of realism into your female characters, your adolescent male demographic starts throwing a tantrum over the fact that the protagonist doesn't sport double-D breasts.
I think that the second one's proportions are still within reasonable limits, but you're right: the first one is a lot nicer/more realistic.

To be honest, I think that they insurgency of the Zillaboobs in modern culture has left me with an attraction to women with smaller chests. I mean, when you look at the PROPORTIONS of some of these characters... Yeesh. It just makes you think of all the logistics problems.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Well, Marcus is the hero of a game targeted at meathead guys. And I too like the Prince better. Honestly though, people, males and females, need to calm down about 'sexy women' in games. If it really ruins a game for you, then you should maybe rethink yourself. Its a game.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
ssgt splatter said:
I'd much rather have a sexy looking character than an ugly one.
That's sort of what I'm getting at with my OP...

Sexy is good! But can we maintain it and appease people who, in some cases, have legitimate concerns?

Come on people! More Discussion!

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Rafe said:
scnj said:
RapeLay is sexy.
?????
Wow, well I just searched 'Rapelay' and....
herehttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/4611161/Rapelay-virtual-rape-game-banned-by-Amazon.html
You gotta be kidding me, that's sexy?
I wasn't being serious. It is an interesting insight into the more colourful parts of Japanese culture.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
I know it's not the excactly same thing, but you see male characters with watermelons just as often as you see females with them. Only difference is whether they're placed on the chest (boobs) or on the arms (biceps)

And as far as i've been able to tell from real life, males with huge arms and other muscle stuff tends to get as much interrest based on that, as females with big breasts does.

Oh, and when we're talking of exagerated sizes how come noone brought up weapons and shoulderpads in WoW?

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
It's perfectly possible to have attractive, sexy female characters without resorting to this.
PedroSteckecilo said:
This... this is not sexy; she's trying too hard. This sort of thing really irritates me in fighting games anyway, because who the hell would dress like that for a normal situation, let alone combat? It makes no sense!

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I reitterate, I only used Ivy as a recent example of what is considered wrong with the depiction of women in Videogames. Don't get too off topic.

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
It has it's place, but a juvenile presentation of sexually attractive characters in gaming is the main problem. No-one has the same problem with all the good looking people in hollywood, as at least they are less obviously objectified.

Oh, and Ivy? No, I wouldn't. Not worth the half an hour it would take to unbuckle all her armour.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Alright lets settle down now guys, you cannot change anything with ranting I'm afraid. They sell because they're unrealistic. Gaming is slowly turning into another division of the "Adult" industry. The only way to stop it is to boycott.