Sexy Gaming: A Do's and Do Nots Discussion

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
SsilverR said:
they'll stop doing it .. WHEN IT STOPS SELLING
But I don't want them to "stop" that isn't the point of this thread. The point of this thread is whether or not one can maintain Sexy and the selling there of without offending people. Is there a level of "Sexy" that both Men and Women can accept? One that will (in my case) appeal to my male'ness without making me feel like a pervy douchebad as well as not making my girlfriend roll her eyes heavenward in dispair of the portrayal of women in videogames.

The idea is about reconciling sexiness with empowerment I guess. Can we has both?

(I'm not trying to "close" the arguement with this thread, rather promote discussion)

Jupsto

Feb 8, 2008
I hate the whole obsession with beefed men in games. I always make skinny or normal male characters if I can. I think its why I like characters like gordon freemen who don't look like body builders.

I agree that mirrors edge girl is cuter than that picture in OP. but the second mirrors edge image has a better looking face aswell as bigger boobs :p

I like RPG's but so hate women versions armour killing any realism, ie bikini bras. but even realistic games like mount and blade you see people requesting that crap.

and I think the OP is trying to come out of the closet. he really like thats prince of persia guy huh?

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Banok said:
and I think the OP is trying to come out of the closet. he really like thats prince of persia guy huh?
I was never in the closet, I'm mildly bisexual with a strong preference for women... nice try though. More than anything The Prince is my go to "sexy male" example, this has been determined by regular debates with my female gamer friends over what a female gamer considers sexy, The Prince seems to be an example most female gamers can agree on. Hence why I used him.

Arcticflame

Nov 7, 2006
Doug said:
Arcticflame said:
aprilmarie said:
Although I will admit the Amazon in Diablo 2 for the perspective you play in looks good with huge boobs. But the way it plays you don't sit there and mostly stare at her boobs because they take up a good portion of the screen......
Bit off topic, and it would never happen in a video game, but really the amazons should of had an ability to spec into burning a breast off for increased accuracy.. like the stereotypical amazons did. I know it's not actually historical fact they did that, but since when have facts been fun?

The d2 ones might not be able to stand upright anymore though.
Since when has torturiously burning bits of bodies off been fun? Oh, I forgot - this is the internet, heh.
Probably didn't convey that well enough, but because then you have a choice of taking away what is viewed as the biggest asset to the amazon class by the majority of pre-pubescent boys playing it, or increasing your strength.

I hated the comments I heard constantly about the amazon when I played d2. It was like my introduction to the sex drive of the internet, (it was the first multiplayer game I actually played a lot).

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
The idea is about reconciling sexiness with empowerment I guess. Can we has both?
I think Nariko from Heavenly Sword seems to fit that slot quite nicely: I hear that she isn't just there for the fan service. Faith also fits the role. And so does the princess from Shadow of the Colossus. I also hear nice things about Tomb Raider Legends (she is apparently more like Indiana Jones than eye candy).

So yes, it's doable. However, T&A attract attention when placed on game covers, so therefore the cheap sex appeal shall continue!

Soulreaverm

Jan 15, 2009
Valve are good at making realistic and sexy female characters. Both Zoey in Left 4 Dead and Alyx in Half-Life 2 are realistic looking and accurately proportioned, but still attractive.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
perryman93 said:
Zenn3k said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
For starters I figured I'd cut RIGHT to the chase...

That's not sexy...
Speak for yourself.

Yowza!
i have to say that really isnt sexy, its an ABOMINATION!!!!!!
I know it's repulsive really and I feel ashamed that it was made to appeal to my generation. that's why in Soul Calibur I always play as the fugly lizard man.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
I reitterate, I only used Ivy as a recent example of what is considered wrong with the depiction of women in Videogames. Don't get too off topic.
I agree completely with your belief that women are over objectified in games and honestly Ivy is the perfect example.

Some could argue that this means she is a sexual concerer throwing off the shackles of female oppression and being proud of her figure. People like me however will say that 'I very much doubt that's what the developers were thinking when they designed her'. Honestly I find the idea of it offensive.

Captain Spiral

Apr 22, 2009
SsilverR said:
they'll stop doing it .. WHEN IT STOPS SELLING
itll never stop selling.

Anyways, people like sexy! I like sexy. I want to play a video game where the character I play is attractive, because it'd be annoying having to stare at an eyesore the whole time.

I just want them to do one thing. If your going to have a character, then make the clothing appropriate for the situation.

Obviously most women wouldnt go into battle wearing a bikini, but if you simply MUST have that bikini battle vixen then at least make it like an armored bikini or something!

and make it cover up the things you dont want hacked and slashed off. for example: Ivy needs to rethink the fact that her 'top' is held together in front by a string if she wants to keep her nipples from meeting a bad fate with a blade.

Sayvara

Oct 11, 2007
Ouch... long thread. I'm completely behind on all the discussion... uhm... ok I'll just start my own thing here...

The OP image demonstrates a huge DON'T... not because the girl isn't sexy (anyone male or female could snuggle her for quite some time) but because she's a bloody idiot wielding an oversized razorwire while while her protection is a flippin' bikini, with leg-straps that are just begging for the weapon to get caught in! That thing will cause her major amounts of "Ouch!" and a gaggle of unbecoming scars the first time an enemy that knows they're doing gets in her way.

So there's the big DON'T: protective nudity. It's not sexy. OI! That goes for you too Kratos so don't think you're getting away with it.

Only idiots go into a fight expecting to be attacked with sharp, pointy or ultrahigh velocity objects without suiting up in steel, ceramics, composits or whatever else keeps you from looking like Freddy Kruger's cuddle-buddy. And idiots are not sexy unless you have major confidence issues. This goes for males and females.

So on the opposite end... here's sexy:

[http://lhs.deviantart.com/art/M-A-Composit-5118988]
Click for original. Artist: LHS

Why is she sexy? Because she looks like she knows what the hell she's doing. She's well dressed for the job, got some smart lookin equipment, and has her stuff in order by keeping the bloody booger picker off of the trigger. All of it says that is a kick-ass gal.

Generally speaking: don't try too hard... it just makes the characters look stupid. And stupid isn't sexy.

/S

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
Erana said:
/me just wants more characters like Jade or Alyx.

I mean, they are awesome and real, and if you can't find something sexy about them, you're either a straight chick or gay guy.
Heather Mason from Silent Hill 3 is also quite the realistic cutie, were she a real person I would have been nuts for her when I was a teenager.

Similarly Zoe from Left 4 Dead has quite a realistic AND attractive design, I've met girls who look like that.
*cough cough* Yeah, I agree that valve has a good sense of natural beauty in women.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
Sayvara said:
So on the opposite end... here's sexy:

[http://lhs.deviantart.com/art/M-A-Composit-5118988]
Click for original. Artist: LHS

Why is she sexy? Because she looks like she knows what the hell she's doing. She's well dressed for the job, got some smart lookin equipment, and has her stuff in order by keeping the bloody booger picker off of the trigger. All of it says that is a kick-ass gal.
/S
Agreed, she does indeed look quite badass, yet sexy. And since you likely did not re-read the OP(it was edited), stick images in spoiler tags. The amount of picturosity going on almost demands it :D

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
I've seen it mentioned multiple times that gaming is a form of escaping reality. But isn't a game more than that? The majority of games are mindless shooters or something created for fun, but some producers try to make an epic story or message in their games.

Some even say gaming is the future form of art. And art with only huge-chested-women isn't likely to be recognized as an art. When gaming is elevated to something more than something to keep the young and feebleminded, and starts depicting (underlined) real men and women, the over used sexy will stop.

Yeah...I don't know if this was waaay off-topic, but I wanted to say this.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
scotth266 said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
I think Nariko from Heavenly Sword seems to fit that slot quite nicely: I hear that she isn't just there for the fan service. Faith also fits the role. And so does the princess from Shadow of the Colossus. I also hear nice things about Tomb Raider Legends (she is apparently more like Indiana Jones than eye candy).

So yes, it's doable. However, T&A attract attention when placed on game covers, so therefore the cheap sex appeal shall continue!
Lara Croft is an odd example, for one she had very unrealistic proportions and is still a LOT fanservicy... on the other hand she's extremely intelligent and extremely capable... if you divorce her from her negative image, there really isn't anything wrong with her by my gauging.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
DrDeath3191 said:
Can we preserve "Sexy" and appease both sexes?
Of course we can. However, the reason for the sexualization of female leads is simply because of the audience of gaming: Males, aged 30-35. We certainly could put more (oh, what's a famous attractive male...?) Zack Effron-esque chatacters in a game, but more likely than not, it won't sell. Having hot women, however, can sell TONS. Just look at DOA.
30-35? You stoned? Eidos when they made but woman (Lara Croft) targeted 17-27. And honestly...
At 34 the boobs that could choke a great white, and honestly that pic doesn't say "Strong or dangerous" woman. Her arms are twigs. Least they made Chun Li's legs look muscled out.
That just isn't...sexy, and same time the debate goes back to Barbies. Wha wha The unrealistic image of a woman. Yeah what about he-man figures. Everyone the star jock with the wash board abs? Men get it to.

Just remember sex SELLS. Period, but at times you know they can make a cute gal and not be... so fantasy based it's nasty.

Left 4 dead Zoey's kinda hot... and she doesn't have the magnum boobs bouncing around everywhere.

BolognaBaloney

Mar 17, 2009
Carlston said:
DrDeath3191 said:
Can we preserve "Sexy" and appease both sexes?
Of course we can. However, the reason for the sexualization of female leads is simply because of the audience of gaming: Males, aged 30-35. We certainly could put more (oh, what's a famous attractive male...?) Zack Effron-esque chatacters in a game, but more likely than not, it won't sell. Having hot women, however, can sell TONS. Just look at DOA.
30-35? You stoned? Eidos when they made but woman (Lara Croft) targeted 17-27. And honestly...
At 34 the boobs that could choke a great white, and honestly that pic doesn't say "Strong or dangerous" woman. Her arms are twigs. Least they made Chun Li's legs look muscled out.
That just isn't...sexy, and same time the debate goes back to Barbies. Wha wha The unrealistic image of a woman. Yeah what about he-man figures. Everyone the star jock with the wash board abs? Men get it to.

Just remember sex SELLS. Period, but at times you know they can make a cute gal and not be... so fantasy based it's nasty.

Left 4 dead Zoey's kinda hot... and she doesn't have the magnum boobs bouncing around everywhere.
Tits on box= cash in bank

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
Lara Croft is an odd example, for one she had very unrealistic proportions and is still a LOT fanservicy... on the other hand she's extremely intelligent and extremely capable... if you divorce her from her negative image, there really isn't anything wrong with her by my gauging.
I was referring to her in Legends as compared to her previous iterations. I was not quite clear on that :D

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
ANY of lost oddysey :(
Cozzzy said:
It does kinda get annoying seeing how a lot of games resort to using some barely-clothed-super-busty girl to help advertise themselves though.
why do developers make men look like perverts while playing games with scantily clad girls? its embarressing to play most games these days...
look at drakangard 2
manah + eris
no-one can say they arent beautiful in a gaming way, but they wear decent amounts of clothing!

ExodusinFlames

Apr 19, 2009
I think people overreact to this sort of thing. Considering that sexuality is part of personal perception there isn't going to be a win/lose or right/wrong to this arguement.
I think we should just all agree to disagree that sexuality is as much a part of gaming is it has been of: movies, tv, radio, magazines, books, drinking and people in general forever.
A fully clothed man or woman can have the same "sexiness" as someone wearing floss and a peice of fabric the size of a pack of cigarettes.
But some may just find certain things sexier than others. Just look at all the purty picatures folks have posted already.