Sexy "Power Armor", am I 'juvenile' for liking it? (a response to recent Kill La Kill concepts)

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
LifeCharacter said:
That's the way to do it; obstinately refuse to accept that the literal definition is obviously not the one people are referring to when they use the term power armor, which everyone else has accepted to mean something akin to what is worn by Iron Man or Space Marines.
I apologize for wanting people stop mutilating words on the internet.

... Oh wait! No I don't :p

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
elvor0 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
If stupid looking power armor was a sin to like, then I'd have quit liking Warhammer 40K long ago. Marines get brick shithouses, while Sisters of Battle get a space corset. Despite that, it still looks like armor. Must be the pauldrons. They make anything look like armor.
As far as female armour goes, the Sisters of Battle do pretty well, they're pretty much in third place behind Femshep in her default armour and Samus. Yeah it's a corset, but at least the rest of her is properly armoured. And considering the hyper exaggerated setting, it's a miracle that the SoBs are actually so conservatively dressed. And lets be honest here, the day a female gets a non breasted chest plate is the day I eat my hat.

Edit: shit. Halo 4. Forget I said anything!
Adepta Sororitas usually do have full powered armor. Unless they screw up and need repentance...

Then they go to being clothed in the only armor they really need... Faith in the God-Emperor!

wulf3n said:
Bara_no_Hime said:
However, magical armor is not powered armor. Powered armor refers to a specific mech sub-genre where the mech suits are human sized and act like mechanical suits of full-plate. Iron Man wears power armor.
Powered armour simply refers to armour that requires a power source for its protection. Mechanical suits are simply a subset of power armour, they are not its only set.

Bara_no_Hime said:
Um, no actually. Armor is a solid plating or ring-mail that protects something. It can be made out of various things, but "magical willpower" is not one of those things.
Kevlar is neither a solid plate or ring-mail but it is still armour.

You're adding restrictions to the definition based on your opinion but it's not what armour is.
TVTropes said:
Powered Armor is distinct from Clothes Make the Superman in that it is specifically designed for combat and is clearly armour rather than clothing.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
I don't think that's juvenile at all. Just go right ahead and like whatever you want to like. I believe artists who create such characters are ahead of their time and they will be recognized for the genius behind their creations in the future.

Every female character in a sexy chainmail bikini, micro skirt or whatever, is a strong female character, possibly stronger than any male character in the same universe, and the reason is pretty simple. They're brave enough to go to war against demons, soldiers and shit wearing nothing but a metal thong and bra. Now take a minute and look at male characters, they are not man enough to do the same. They're too afraid to do that, choosing instead to cover themselves in protective gear.

Women in sexy armor is a very powerful message that men are the weaker sex in games, anime and other media.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
LifeCharacter said:
So, where is power armor defined as "armour that requires a power source for its protection"? Everyone else seems to be in agreement that, while that definition applies to it, it is much more specific.
It's not like everyone in agreement can't be wrong...

LifeCharacter said:
Unless we're just going to take everything literally now. "Science fiction" now refers to any fictional work that involves any form of science; colloquialisms have become all but useless;
If only. A man can dream though... a man can dream.

LifeCharacter said:
nuances of language have been thrown out the window in favor of people who don't understand how language actually works.
Colloquialisms are created because people don't understand how language works, removing them is simply fixing the language.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
That is not armor. It is just skimpy clothes being called "armor". I guess it could be magic "armor" but it sure as hell does not look like armor. I would say it seems like a rather lazy and unoriginal design for "armor" as well. the most offensive thing about is the lazy design.

If to op likes it the more power to him but to me it is an "armor" with lazy design.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Comocat said:
I'm playing final fantasy XIV right now, and one of the main npcs driving the story has the most outrageous camel toe I've ever seen. It's hard to take dialogue seriously when I'm not sure if I've stumbled into my adolescent sex dreams or listening to someone who apparently gets dressed in the dark.
Um what? Dude I've played clear to the end of FF14's story and not once did I notice camel toe on anybody. Then again that's not really something I look for; too busy reading the dialogue and what not for the story.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Quazimofo said:
-snip-

And Gears and reach haven't got breasted armor. Well, its sorta breasted. The armor kinda needs to bulge a bit when the wearer is busty, but the point is it fits the aesthetic and isn't any more revealing than the male armor. That's one of the things I really like in the relatively few games that do it, armor that is actually reasonable.
Yeah it's been a while since I played 40k in depth beyond the video games, couldn't remember too much about the SoB lore.

And I forgot about Gears, actually considering the player base stereotype, it's really surprising that Gears and Halo are the ones to go against the grain and do none breasted armor ><

wulf3n said:
Bara_no_Hime said:
However, magical armor is not powered armor. Powered armor refers to a specific mech sub-genre where the mech suits are human sized and act like mechanical suits of full-plate. Iron Man wears power armor.
Powered armour simply refers to armour that requires a power source for its protection. Mechanical suits are simply a subset of power armour, they are not its only set.
You need the power for hydraulics and what not to allow it to move. It would still function as armour without power (save for force fields and the like) but you couldn't move. I too wouldn't count magical armour as Power Armour. Power Armour is pretty much defined as being a mechanical suit; in every piece of literature I can think of this has been the case. Plus they originated in Lensman and Starship Troopers, where magic most certainly didn't come into play. Building size Mechas like Jager don't count because you don't exactly wear them in the same way that you don't /wear/ a tank by virtue of being inside it. Power Armour specifically refers to these things when they are used together, regardless of the words having meanings when not combined. I mean Shepards armour doesn't count because even though the force field wouldn't work without power, you don't need power in order to get around in the thing.

Magical armour is different in the sense that it has been enchanted, be that proper armour (plate, chain, or like you say kevlar etc) being augmented, or some clothing that has been imbued with the ability to protect the wearer. It's not intrinsically part of it. Unless it's been made out of magic metal, in which case it doesn't require a power source, it's just fundamentally more protective by virtue of being magical.

wulf3n said:
I agree that Power armour was a mash up of two words to describe a specific thing, mechanical suits, but the term was created to describe armour that required power.

LifeCharacter said:
Language is not merely the completely literal meaning of the words. Nuances, slang, colloquialisms, and so on exist and serve a purpose
What purpose? all they do is make it more difficult to understand the meaning behind the word.

If language is means of expressing ideas and thoughts to other people, then anything that hinders that isn't good for language.
Yes. It was first used in Starship Troopers being used to describe a mechanical suit. A concept Robert Heinlien built on from Ed Smiths Lensmen and is pretty much responsible for creating the idea. Which every person except for /you/ refers to as "Power Armour". You know that power armour is used synonymously with mechanical suit. As does everyone else. What confusion is there exactly aside from being obtuse for the sake of it? When we're talking armor powered by magic, we say "Magic Armour" because the two terms have different connotations and are separated by one being scientific, the other being magical.

We are talking language here, not simply words. And used in context, words take on different meanings. You talking English? "I hit the ball with my bat." Now, what do you think I am referring to by "Bat"? "That girl is hot, he's cool, that skaters wicked, that death was gnarly." All words that have double meanings.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Eh, you like what you like. That is not particularly sexy power armor though, this is.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
LifeCharacter said:
wulf3n said:
LifeCharacter said:
That's the way to do it; obstinately refuse to accept that the literal definition is obviously not the one people are referring to when they use the term power armor, which everyone else has accepted to mean something akin to what is worn by Iron Man or Space Marines.
I apologize for wanting people stop mutilating words on the internet.

... Oh wait! No I don't :p
So, where is power armor defined as "armour that requires a power source for its protection"? Everyone else seems to be in agreement that, while that definition applies to it, it is much more specific.

Unless we're just going to take everything literally now. "Science fiction" now refers to any fictional work that involves any form of science; colloquialisms have become all but useless; nuances of language have been thrown out the window in favor of people who don't understand how language actually works.
I think the power in power armour relates to the ability to move in the armour, rather than the protection it uses. Power armour is generally massively heavy and would be impossible for a human to move and fight in if it didn't supplement their strength with it's own mechanisms, controlled by the wearer's movements and powered by a seperate energy source in the suit. Fallout and 40k power armour both have these mechanisms because they weigh a serious amount, more than a human can carry. Commander Shepard's hardsuit is not power armour because it is actually fairly light and doesn't include mechanisms to support the wearer's ability to move in it. A swimsuit that happens to give its wearer the same protection as a suit of full-plate armour because magic is also not power armour because it does not use it's own mechanisms to support the wearer's ability to move in the suit.

Wintermute said:
Every female character in a sexy chainmail bikini, micro skirt or whatever, is a strong female character, possibly stronger than any male character in the same universe, and the reason is pretty simple. They're brave enough to go to war against demons, soldiers and shit wearing nothing but a metal thong and bra. Now take a minute and look at male characters, they are not man enough to do the same. They're too afraid to do that, choosing instead to cover themselves in protective gear.

Women in sexy armor is a very powerful message that men are the weaker sex in games, anime and other media.
You may have a point... though game writers can still iron out this imbalance, and just make a game that features a Celtic warrior as a character! The Celts didn't need some chainmail bikini to feel secure in battle, oh no. They often fought competely naked, protected only by a bit of blue paint (sometimes) and their own sheer, ball-shrivelling lunacy! (Always!)

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I don't like it at all, I think it is crap. However, to each their own. You don't have to justify what you like to us.

Bix96

Oct 10, 2012
MarsProbe said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Doesn't armour have to...

You know. Armour a person, to be considered armour.

That isn't armour, it's a pandering sexual fantasy.
Exactly. One bullet to the stomach and she is down. Kinda makes all that armour pointless as its just slower her down, might as well not wear it with such an obvious target area to aim for.
Except in the anime, she'll somehow shrug off a ton of damage, despite her incredibly flimsy attire. You know, just once I would like to see an anime/JRPG that kicks off with a character with an outfit insanely impractical for battle wielding some ridiculous weapon heading into battle and we think this is going to be the main character until moments they unexpectedly drop dead. Cue reveal that they have just been taken out by a sniper over 2km away. That's what you get went you enter battle dressed like your going to a cosplay gathering.
Or that's what you get when you go into battle period. How does them being in impractical armour have anything to do with it? There is not a single type of personal protection known that can stop a 50cal so your example does not make much sense when the heavily armoured soldier dies the same gruesome death as the girl in slut armour.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Random berk said:
I think the power in power armour relates to the ability to move in the armour, rather than the protection it uses. Power armour is generally massively heavy and would be impossible for a human to move and fight in if it didn't supplement their strength with it's own mechanisms, controlled by the wearer's movements and powered by a seperate energy source in the suit. Fallout and 40k power armour both have these mechanisms because they weigh a serious amount, more than a human can carry. Commander Shepard's hardsuit is not power armour because it is actually fairly light and doesn't include mechanisms to support the wearer's ability to move in it.
While that's certainly a form of power armour, what I'm arguing is that it's not the sole form.

Random berk said:
A swimsuit that happens to give its wearer the same protection as a suit of full-plate armour because magic is also not power armour because it does not use it's own mechanisms to support the wearer's ability to move in the suit.
What you're referring to sounds more like a powered exoskeleton [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powered_exoskeleton] than powered armour.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
LifeCharacter said:
Your definition of power armor (I believe the completely technical term would be powered armor, but whatever) is nothing but a (logical) mash-up of the words powered and armor. Except, that's not how it works. When two words are combined, the resulting term, while likely related to the two original words, does not necessarily take the exact definitions of those two words. Power armor refers to a very specific thing, and there's nothing that I've seen or that you seem capable of providing that says otherwise.
Nor has anyone else shown how it's only a mechanical suit.

I agree that Power armour was a mash up of two words to describe a specific thing, mechanical suits, but the term was created to describe armour that required power.

LifeCharacter said:
Language is not merely the completely literal meaning of the words. Nuances, slang, colloquialisms, and so on exist and serve a purpose
What purpose? all they do is make it more difficult to understand the meaning behind the word.

If language is means of expressing ideas and thoughts to other people, then anything that hinders that isn't good for language.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
wulf3n said:
Random berk said:
I think the power in power armour relates to the ability to move in the armour, rather than the protection it uses. Power armour is generally massively heavy and would be impossible for a human to move and fight in if it didn't supplement their strength with it's own mechanisms, controlled by the wearer's movements and powered by a seperate energy source in the suit. Fallout and 40k power armour both have these mechanisms because they weigh a serious amount, more than a human can carry. Commander Shepard's hardsuit is not power armour because it is actually fairly light and doesn't include mechanisms to support the wearer's ability to move in it.
While that's certainly a form of power armour, what I'm arguing is that it's not the sole form.

Random berk said:
A swimsuit that happens to give its wearer the same protection as a suit of full-plate armour because magic is also not power armour because it does not use it's own mechanisms to support the wearer's ability to move in the suit.
What you're referring to sounds more like a powered exoskeleton [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powered_exoskeleton] than powered armour.
I'm sure there are different sorts, but since power armour as I just described most closely fits the physical definition of power (energy consumed in order to do work) and 'power armour' that refers to a swimsuit with a magic spell on it that protects the wearer from any harm have essentially nothing in common and no reason to fall under the same term, doesn't it make more sense to call the classical powered armour 'power armour', and the invincibility bikini something like 'magical armour'? Surely that makes some bit of sense.

As to the exoskeleton bit, it does the same thing, but in the power armour examples that I've actually read about in detail, the mechanisms are internal. The armour itself is the outer layer, and protects the exoskeleton or cybernetic muscles as well as the user themselves.

Actually, can we just call those things invincibility bikinis? It has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Bix96 said:
MarsProbe said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Doesn't armour have to...

You know. Armour a person, to be considered armour.

That isn't armour, it's a pandering sexual fantasy.
Exactly. One bullet to the stomach and she is down. Kinda makes all that armour pointless as its just slower her down, might as well not wear it with such an obvious target area to aim for.
Except in the anime, she'll somehow shrug off a ton of damage, despite her incredibly flimsy attire. You know, just once I would like to see an anime/JRPG that kicks off with a character with an outfit insanely impractical for battle wielding some ridiculous weapon heading into battle and we think this is going to be the main character until moments they unexpectedly drop dead. Cue reveal that they have just been taken out by a sniper over 2km away. That's what you get went you enter battle dressed like your going to a cosplay gathering.
Or that's what you get when you go into battle period. How does them being in impractical armour have anything to do with it? There is not a single type of personal protection known that can stop a 50cal so your example does not make much sense when the heavily armoured soldier dies the same gruesome death as the girl in slut armour.
Nukes can cook tanks, no matter how much armor we put on them. Why do we bother putting any armor on them at all?

That being said, yes, it's silly to expect anime (Or many, if not most, of western entertainment) to create sane armor. I mean, look at this thing.

Boring.