Sexy "Power Armor", am I 'juvenile' for liking it? (a response to recent Kill La Kill concepts)

Verrik

Sep 28, 2012
somonels said:
If a magic amulet can prevent you from being charred by magma then such clothing can have sentience, protect you from bullets, give you flight and fire plasma beams from your fingertips. Technology is usually - and definitely here - nothing but an aesthetic wallpaper to be able to do whatever the writer needs done, essentially magic/deus ex machina.

Once you start decorating overly naked girls with doodads you are going to have a problem, not to even suggest that this is much more than a libido-service. That armour is nothing more than an excuse for having mostly nude girls on screen.

I understand the adoration of tools rather than the users, but sadly the world does not.
Yes, and usually people use the argument of, MAGIC. Magic makes its own damn rules!

Ha, and while I understand this, why don't more Male characters run around in "armor" that barely covers anything?

I'm of a mind like a lot of people here. People can like whatever they want. Just don't call this armor, because it's basically just slightly more complicated lingerie.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Colour Scientist said:
Zhukov said:
Mate, you can like whatever you want.

However. Don't you dare refer to that... that as "armor". Just don't.

It's a sex doll outfit. Acknowledge it for what it is.
This, you usually post my thoughts before I do.
Y'know, I get that a lot.

I should start charging a fee.

Zhukov's Clairvoyant Posting Service. Available in 'earnest', 'melodramatic' and 'snarky' flavours. Also in 'downright vicious', but that costs extra.

Hmm...

Soviet Heavy said:
If stupid looking power armor was a sin to like, then I'd have quit liking Warhammer 40K long ago. Marines get brick shithouses, while Sisters of Battle get a space corset. Despite that, it still looks like armor. Must be the pauldrons. They make anything look like armor.
While far from realistically practical, Sister McCrosscrotch isn't that bad, at least by the standards of nerd aesthetics.

Sure, her armour is obviously designed to ensure that you know it's a woman inside it, but at least it looks like you'd just hurt your hand if you punched her.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I always find it amusing when people bring realism and practicality into it. Like how wearing what may as well be an oven in the shape of a human body for fighting a dragon that breathes fire being sensible. Or the way mages wear nothing but robes, but because they don't show any skin they are magically much better for fighting monsters in. That piece of cloth your mage wears in Skyrim must do a lot of protection against arrows, and of course fighting in loose clothing, on what is frequently rough terrain is a fantastic idea.

My opinion is essentially this:

Lieju said:
It depends on the context.

Quite often skimpy armor looks kinda dull design-wise, and if all women wear stuff like that it doesn't make it stand out as much.
A lot of the time you get skimpy clothing that is quite obviously designed with the single intention of showing off flesh. The design is otherwise quite generic or dull. Just metal plates covering enough to have a small amount of modesty, while otherwise showing off a bunch of skin.

If it can still look stylistic and stand out, then I don't really see the issue. Practicality is very rarely something that occurs in any work of fiction. Hell, thinking of the recent big anime Attack on Titan, there is no way on earth they'd be wearing cloaks while using the equipment and weapons they do. They'd rip them to shreds or get them caught on something, but nobody complains about that.

Lieju said:
Also tone is important.
If the story is supposed to be serious and realistic, but the women wear really silly looking clothing while men are reasonably clothed, it just takes me out of it.
Exactly.

then I could see the problem (although it is somewhat saddening that such an image was so easy to find). But if the clothing and armour are relevant to the overall tone and style of the world, and don't stand out then I am not normally against it.

Fire Emblem Awakening has "unrealistic" armour for example, but this doesn't just apply to the women for the sake of fan service.

Both of them have obvious "flaws" in their armour design, but they both fit in with the overall design of the world.

It is also worth mentioning that the world in general considers the fact that people such as us enjoy computer games and anime at all to be juvenile. Not forgetting that the favourite show of a significant proportion of adults on the internet is one about brightly coloured magical ponies which is aimed at young girls, and there is nothing wrong with that.

So I really wouldn't get too worked up about what other people think of your tastes.

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
Well in this case the character was mostly seen dressed like this.

Not at all practical, and yes she shows skin but its in an "edgy" way. I guess the new images depict what she looks like when her outfit is activated? I was excited about this anime but my excitement has deflated a bit after the new art was released. I'll still give a couple of episodes a try, I just hope that the outfit isn't used as an excuse for fanservice.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Even if it is (what exactly constitutes 'juvenile' is up for debate), who cares? If you like it and it's not hurting anyone (or illegal) then like whatever the heck you want. Draw anime girls wearing pasties and G-strings and call it armor for all I care.

Plenty of people think "Warhammer 40,000" is juvenile because it's so over-the-top, but I love it, probably one of my favorite IPs.

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
If stupid looking power armor was a sin to like, then I'd have quit liking Warhammer 40K long ago. Marines get brick shithouses, while Sisters of Battle get a space corset. Despite that, it still looks like armor. Must be the pauldrons. They make anything look like armor.
Now THAT's sexy power armor.

If only Matt Ward hadn't butt fucked the Sister's codex. T-T

Eliwood10

Feb 4, 2013
We know so little about the series at this point that there's really no point in judging the design choices until it actually comes out. You have to consider context, tone, character, story, etc before jumping to any conclusions.

But let me remind you that the guy who's directing Kill La Kill also directed

[/spoiler]

[spoiler="and this"][img src="http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/Panty_and_Stocking_3336.jpg"][/spoiler]

So it's nothing unusual for him, and all of these female characters were sexualized, sure, but never at a detriment to their character imo.

Incidentally, I'm looking forward to Kill La Kill more than anything else this fall. October can't come soon enough for me!

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
What the? Is it me, or does the girl in the OP look a lot like a gender-swapped human version of Shadow The Hedgehog in a fetish outfit?

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
Woulda liked something a bit more interesting even if they threw in a little sex appeal armour, I mean it's so utterly stupid and boring, even sex appeal armour has standards IVY.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Verrik said:
I'm of a mind like a lot of people here. People can like whatever they want. Just don't call this armor, because it's basically just slightly more complicated lingerie.
However whether "power armor" or "battle suit" it's a fitting description for it's function. I don't think you go around forums being pissed about the SS Enterprise using "shields."

Verrik said:
Ha, and while I understand this, why don't more Male characters run around in "armor" that barely covers anything?
Men don't need armor, swords can't reach them, bullets can't fly towards them. Women merely adopted the battle, we were born in it moulded by it. Throw us in a clothing store and see us suffer.

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
AccursedTheory said:
You like what your like. As long as your not hurting anyone, I don't think it's a problem.

Beside's, there's nothing wrong with juvenile stuff. As long as you don't ACT like a juvenile.

As for that... thing... I don't like it. Not very good looking, bland, a bit on the nose as far as 'sexuality' is concerned.

Also, I don't care what the Japanese says. That's not power armor. Maybe terrible armor made of unobtainium that doesn't cover enough, maybe a reactive suit that does 'stuff,' but its not power armor.

Here's power armor.

If the tabletop games, the RTS titles and the FPs titles have taught me anything it is do not fuck with an Ultramarine. You just don't. They will annihilate you. I mean, christ.

Pre Horus-Heresy marines were such gods made flesh that to put down a planetary rebellion you would drop 4 down and just WAIT. That is power armour.

That stuff in the OP?

Hell, Its barely even lingerie. I would not define it as power armour. Its just...

Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Also...

Would bang that sister of battle. Just saying.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Dr. Cakey said:
Casual Shinji said:
Well shit, and here I thought the complete non-pandering of Little Witch Academia would somehow bleed over into this new project.

Thanks for reasserting my low opinion of you, modern anime.
Yeah, you'd think it was made by Gainax or something.
Oh you mean Asuka's torso revealing plugsuit cuz reasons in Rebuild 2.

And I wouldn't act so smug about Little Witch Academia. LWA was - to use one of my favorite phrases - 'moe as fuck'. That is just so much fun to say. Moe as fuck. Moe as fuck. Moe as f-
Moe? Really?

Not that I'm an expert on it, I don't even like to say the word itself, but nothing about LWA came across overly cute for cute's sake, except maybe the beginning with the little kids.

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
Dr. Cakey said:
Casual Shinji said:
Well shit, and here I thought the complete non-pandering of Little Witch Academia would somehow bleed over into this new project.

Thanks for reasserting my low opinion of you, modern anime.
Yeah, you'd think it was made by Gainax or something.
Oh you mean Asuka's torso revealing plugsuit cuz reasons in Rebuild 2.
I'm no expert on Gainax, but my elite ninja intelligence-gathering squad assures me Gainax has in fact made things other than Evangelion, FLCL, and Gurren Lagann. Some sources even indicate they existed for a good ten years before Evangelion was released, but it is believed that Rebuild 4.0 will retcon this period of time out of existence.

Also, there's this TVTropes page [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Gainaxing].

And I wouldn't act so smug about Little Witch Academia. LWA was - to use one of my favorite phrases - 'moe as fuck'. That is just so much fun to say. Moe as fuck. Moe as fuck. Moe as f-
Moe? Really?

Not that I'm an expert on it, I don't even like to say the word itself, but nothing about LWA came across overly cute for cute's sake, except maybe the beginning with the little kids.[/quote]
Somebody, we as a species - and by "we as a species", I mean "a couple thousand people on the internet" - will finally understand that moe is not an insult, it is a description. I mean, Puella Magi Best Anime Ever Magica is also moe.

I wouldn't call it moe as fuck, though. Still fun to say. Moe as fuck. Moe as fuck. Tee hee.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Soo...where's the power armor you're referring to?

The picture you posted had neither powered armor, nor actual armor.

Seriously, I'm pretty sure the cotton tee-shirt I'm wearing would offer more protection than that...thing.

It's just incredibly silly, and not in the good way.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
You can go ahead liking it all you want. But I can't stand stuff like that being portrayed as armor. I'm one of those bastards who is actively bothered by impractical armor and... well, nothing about that remotely resembles armor. Armor's primary purpose is to keep your vulnerable point defended. That looks like it leaves the vulnerable points totally exposed and the rest... Hell, that barely qualifies as a bikini. It just seems like a really, really poor attempt to make something sexy. And don't give me the excuse that "it's magic" or something like that, even then they're still making it so revealing that it's obvious purpose is fanservice above all else.

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
that armor and she is sexy as hell :p yum

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
MrHide-Patten said:
Ontopic: I think nerds around this parts take way too seriously the possible implications of how some women are depicted in video games and other entertainment forms. I honestly don't give a rat's ass about that train of thought, find it quite lacking in substance and just enjoy my entertainment.

MUCH MORE IMPORTANT Offtopic: Dude, I dislike those sketches a lot! Basically because the center of gravity is totally off in all of them and makes the character look very weird, doesn't it bothers you as an artist?
Who cares about the armour? That is NOT how a woman looks on high heels at all!!