Sexy Shelob...why? Just why?

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I had my problems with the original Shadow of Mordor game, and after seeing the trailers for the second, my brain started screaming even more. Then, after seeing this one, I wanted to punch someone in the face--or at least grab their shirt collar and shake them while screaming, "WHY?!"

I am still stubbornly holding out hope that this is not Shelob, and they're pulling a fast one on everyone. I mean, even the spider form looks nothing like the one from the movie, so...

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Silentpony said:
Oh is this about Jim's video, 'cause that was just a hot mess and very poorly executed.

Also as a daughter of Ungoliant, isn't Shelob magically gifted in the ways of seduction, misdirection and manipulation? And if I remember correctly, Ungoliant was known to 'transform' for lack of a better term, into any form that fit her needs, including attractive women.

Think of them less like a brainless 'natural' spider and more like the spider from It. But instead of an evil clown to terrorize kids, its a hot ass woman to put a magical monster killing hero at ease, so he doesn't do what he does best to her eight eyed face.
I mean if Mr. Growly McGrizzleFace was actually Lady Growly McSternFace Shelob would probably take the form of her dead son, or husband, or dead sister or whatever.
Because Shelob is a magical, manipulating demiGod who happens to look kinda like a giant spider, when she chooses to.
Shelob isn't Ungoliant. Where is there any precedent for Shelob doing these things? Why didn't she do this when she was trying to kill Frodo? From what we know of her, her doing all of this is massively out of character. That and, you know, generic lazy writing

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Yeah, it's dumb as fuck.

Video games are so often a lowest common denominator kinda deal.

Hell, even without the all-ladies-must-be-sexy-even-the-giant-fuck-off-spider thing, the whole taking-a-form-you-are-more-familiar-with is cliche and boring. It mostly comes across as an excuse to be dull and save on special effects, although that shouldn't be an issue in a well funded video game. Besides, she's a giant fucking spider, why does she give a shit?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
erttheking said:
Isn't the whole point of the daughters of Ungoliant that they share her powers? That's why they can see people who wear the ring, and talk, and cast dark magics, etc...

None are as powerful as Unggy, sure, but all shared a measure of her power. It wouldn't be a stretch at all to say Shelob has magic.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
erttheking said:
Silentpony said:
Oh is this about Jim's video, 'cause that was just a hot mess and very poorly executed.

Also as a daughter of Ungoliant, isn't Shelob magically gifted in the ways of seduction, misdirection and manipulation? And if I remember correctly, Ungoliant was known to 'transform' for lack of a better term, into any form that fit her needs, including attractive women.

Think of them less like a brainless 'natural' spider and more like the spider from It. But instead of an evil clown to terrorize kids, its a hot ass woman to put a magical monster killing hero at ease, so he doesn't do what he does best to her eight eyed face.
I mean if Mr. Growly McGrizzleFace was actually Lady Growly McSternFace Shelob would probably take the form of her dead son, or husband, or dead sister or whatever.
Because Shelob is a magical, manipulating demiGod who happens to look kinda like a giant spider, when she chooses to.
Shelob isn't Ungoliant. Where is there any precedent for Shelob doing these things? Why didn't she do this when she was trying to kill Frodo? From what we know of her, her doing all of this is massively out of character. That and, you know, generic lazy writing
There isn't even any precedent for Ungoliant doing half that shit, Melkor and Sauron were known to deceive and trick with their shapshifting before they supposedly lost the ability or just stopped doing it after Ungoliant ate the two trees of Valinor. Ungoliant was not a trickster or seductress or anything like that, she was a hungry void monster that ate light that took the form of a giant spider after the Valar kicked her ass, she was locked into the spider form after eating the trees and had lost her shapeshifting before ever giving birth to Shelob. She's a clever monster who can make deals with entities like Melkor, but she is not gifted in any sort of seduction or misdirection beyond her basic backstabbing of Melkor, not sure where the manipulation comes from either as even her betrayal of Melkor was mostly driven by her all consuming hunger and demanding to consume the silmarils. We are talking about a monster that ultimately died because it consumed itself, this was not some clever trickster or manipulator, that was Melkor, Ungoliant was a terrifying void beast with intellect pretty much solely directed towards hating and consuming the light in the most direct manner possible.

Shelob is directly similar though consumed living things rather than light, she was scarred and had missing eyes in the book, she didn't manipulate and seduce prey, she had those injuries because she liked taking them head on to maximize their despair and torture when she paralyzed them and webbed them up for later. She made direct raids to feed on the orcs in the nearby outpost, the only "clever" thing she ever does is buy into Gollum's trick that he can bring her better prey, before he just fucks off to do his own thing and only lures the hobbits in because he thinks he can trick her again and take the ring after she kills Frodo and Sam. That's the extent of Shelob's trickery, she lets a malformed hobbit leave on the promise of bringing her better food then almost buys into the same god damned trick again when Frodo and Sam get there, before getting owned by the phial of galadrial and the Elven sword Sting, the being left in the cave grievously wounded ultimate fate unknown.

I don't know where the hell the devs got, "sexy shape shifting, future-telling, clever manipulator" out of that, if she could see the future you think she would have realized letting Gollum go was a tremendously bad idea, even if the ring or whatever else blocked that you think she would have at least realized that Gollum was full of shit if she was such a clever manipulator, apparently she takes a few hits to the head in this game and what we see in The Two Towers is Shelob with a traumatic brain injury.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Silentpony said:
erttheking said:
Isn't the whole point of the daughters of Ungoliant that they share her powers? That's why they can see people who wear the ring, and talk, and cast dark magics, etc...

None are as powerful as Unggy, sure, but all shared a measure of her power. It wouldn't be a stretch at all to say Shelob has magic.
I think Eternally bored responded to that better than I ever could with the post right above this one.

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
As someone that dislikes spiders(So much that I patched them out of Skyrim for example) I for one welcome our sexy spider woman overlords. Overladies? Someone correct me on how I should play this meme.

Now, the subject of making her sexy. Um, I actually don't find her attractive myself. Yeah I know what they were going with, evil sexy black clad lady. But I can't look at her and not think "Morrigan" from Dragon Age. And I didn't find that hot back then. Yes I know I'm only one person in the sea of customers but I just don't see her as 'sexy'.

That said I do agree on the 'wtf' when it comes to making her into a sexy woman in order to talk easier to the big dumb human male. hey could have done it better. Heck, make her look like Flemeth since I brought up Dragon Age earlier. Or this weird urchin that just wants to be left alone with her daughters/pets/kids. Why sexy spider woman? "Because Tits sell, that's why Merlin". I know that GI, but it's getting to the point I'm tripping over them!

This is STUPID character design!

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
...you know, having played the first game and the 'story' in that one, this is actually completely unsurprising to me. Hell, I would've been surprised if they'd kept Shelob as an actual spider, since that would've been the first creative decision they'd have made across both games.

Fun game and the Nemesis System is pretty awesome, but fuck me was Shadow of Mordor's story a creative dead-end. That the sequel is taking the same ques is disappointing, but, as said, unsurprising.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Wrex Brogan said:
...you know, having played the first game and the 'story' in that one, this is actually completely unsurprising to me. Hell, I would've been surprised if they'd kept Shelob as an actual spider, since that would've been the first creative decision they'd have made across both games.

Fun game and the Nemesis System is pretty awesome, but fuck me was Shadow of Mordor's story a creative dead-end. That the sequel is taking the same ques is disappointing, but, as said, unsurprising.
I'm almost convinced that the entire story was ripped from some teenagers livejournal fan fiction site from around 2003-2004 when the original movies were super popular amongst high schoolers. Super powerful OC ranger sees family get killed and swears revenge in a bloody lone wolf fashion and teams up with an obscure canon character that gives him super powers and helps create a ring of power that's totally better than that poser Sauron's ring. He also gets to command orcs and ride beasts because horses aren't metal enough, teetering on the edge of good and evil fighting as a roguishly handsome anti-hero that's gonna wage war on sauron. All that's missing is the scene where he bangs Galadriel and gives Elrond the middle finger while making fourth wall breaking references to the actor that plays him in the movie being the same actor that played agent Smith in the Matrix.

I'll defend a lot of stuff about the game, but the plot is pretty ridiculous.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
I'm not into this whole sjw nonsense, to be honest. They feel to me like they blow tiny things way out of proportion or outright lie about what's going on. That being said, this would be a case where I could probably agree with them on it. If there was ever something that screamed 'sexism' (not from gamers but game developers) to me, it was Shelob becoming a sexy goth sorceress. I mean just...why?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
EternallyBored said:
I'm almost convinced that the entire story was ripped from some teenagers livejournal fan fiction site from around 2003-2004 when the original movies were super popular amongst high schoolers. Super powerful OC ranger sees family get killed and swears revenge in a bloody lone wolf fashion and teams up with an obscure canon character that gives him super powers and helps create a ring of power that's totally better than that poser Sauron's ring. He also gets to command orcs and ride beasts because horses aren't metal enough, teetering on the edge of good and evil fighting as a roguishly handsome anti-hero that's gonna wage war on sauron. All that's missing is the scene where he bangs Galadriel and gives Elrond the middle finger while making fourth wall breaking references to the actor that plays him in the movie being the same actor that played agent Smith in the Matrix.

Oh dear phalluses of sweet Satan, that uncomfortable feeling that I'm playing somebody's teen self-insert fan-faction idea is not going away any time soon. :p

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Xsjadoblayde said:
EternallyBored said:

Oh dear phalluses of sweet Satan, that uncomfortable feeling that I'm playing somebody's teen self-insert fan-faction idea is not going away any time soon. :p
With sexy shelob, and that sexy shapeshifting nature spirit in some of the trailers, the devs might very well be trying the AU harem spinoff for this sequel.

Quick, somebody keep an eye out for a genderbent humanized sexy Smaug, or female orcs that just happen to look like slightly muscular human super models.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Breaking news, in the next Aliens video game, the xenomorphs will all have the ability to take this form:

Which they will use to cleverly infiltrate human settlements so that they can spring their face-eating traps when the humans are least expecting it!

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Shadow Of Mordor is just Tolkien for dudebros, more or less, so this is perfectly in line with that. Didn't buy the first one, sure as hell won't buy this one.

I'm still waiting on the Nemesis system being used in something that isn't utterly generic, soulless, exploitative shite.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Darth Rosenberg said:
Shadow Of Mordor is just Tolkien for dudebros, more or less, so this is perfectly in line with that. Didn't buy the first one, sure as hell won't buy this one.

I'm still waiting on the Nemesis system being used in something that isn't utterly generic, soulless, exploitative shite.
Xcom is using a version of the Nemesis system for the war of the chosen expansion.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Ok, so they turned a giant monster spider into a dark sexy lady. Whatever, stupid as it is, I'll chalk it up to 'game needs titties'.

But why did they go with that design? It's so ... bland. Nothing about it evokes 'spider'. In fact, it evokes nothing at all beyond 'this character is not a good guy'. Couldn't they have put in some indication about her true nature, aside from the little spider crawling along her arm? Anything at all? Ok, just some throwing stuff at the wall:

- Give her 6 human arms, bringing her total limbs up to 8.
- Let a bunch of spider legs come from behind her back. Alternately, make it ornaments that simply resemble spider legs.
- Make her clothing look like spider webbing
- Give her a crown adorned with gems shaped like human eyes, but arrayed like a set of spider eyes. Makes the gems colored like her human eyes (or other way around).
- Not enough? Just make her fucking Lolth. Monstrous spider from the abdomen down, but sexy lady bits up top. You might even get away with showing nips this way.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
nomotog said:
Xcom is using a version of the Nemesis system for the war of the chosen expansion.
Really? Huh, I've not got XCOM2 yet, so maybe that's something else to look forward to.

Chimpzy said:
- Not enough? Just make her fucking Lolth. Monstrous spider from the abdomen down, but sexy lady bits up top. You might even get away with showing nips this way.
I had to google her, and all I saw was Queelag... But no, nipples? Gruesome, exploitative violence = yay, basic nudity = nay.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Darth Rosenberg said:
I had to google her, and all I saw was Queelag... But no, nipples? Gruesome, exploitative violence = yay, basic nudity = nay.
Course it's not ok. Just think of the parents, or whoever it is that has nothing better to do than play moral guardian for the rest of us.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I guess it says most people who play the game (adolescent males) would relate more to the sexy version than the spider version.

They could've at least done a hybrid but that would kinda be ripping off

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
I'm torn on this.

On the one hand, sexy lady doesn't look like a giant spider and less time spent seeing any kind of spider is good.
On the other hand this just messes with established lore. At this point I don't see why they didn't just make their own fantasy universe and run riot with whatever they wanted.