Shadow of the Colossus... disappointing

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
The control issues never really bothered me...

The ending on the otherhand, well that was the best ending I have seen since...well Braid :D

GreyMorality

Jan 12, 2009
I loved the game. I didn't have as much problems with the controls as you apparently did. It was still a great game and I'd play it again if I still had my PS2.

Redlac

Dec 12, 2007
Recently picked this up for myself after having borrowed it last year. Frustrating? Yup. Swearing at the television? Yup. Biting the controller? Yup.

Annoyances aside with SOTC, I felt the whole thing was a rewarding experience, especially as it was doing things a little differently. After all, a game with only bosses in is a real break from the norm.

As for the ending.. well dang, I never expected that.

CertifiedWaffle

Mar 3, 2009
I agree the controls were very frustrating, as well as some of the boos fights. Like the one where the weak spot was on his hand...That one took me forever. Putting that aside, overall I thought the game was excellent.

FelineNine

Feb 25, 2009
I had some problems with the controls at the beginning as well, I thought it had a pretty steep learning curve. Also, when I went back to try out the game my playstation controller skills were a bit rusty too... which probably didn't help in the long run. But all in all I love SOTC! One of my favourite games dispite control difficulties, and still one of my fave game environments. I think the idea is really original, and I found myself addicted once I got over my difficulties!

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
SOTC was not disappointing. As for the frustrations, I never had that much of a problem with the camera or control scheme, and as for climbing up a colossus, it's supposed to be difficult to climb up a giant walking statue, and there was a great feeling of achievement when I stabbed in in the head. My only problem was having the only clue to your destination being the glowy sword, which frequently led me in the wrong direction, but this was made a bit less annoying by the gorgeous scenery.

Rahnzan

Oct 13, 2008
miracleofsound said:
I agree with you that the good far outweighed the bad but I guess i was just expecting more...
.o. They could....they could gold plate your copy? Heh. A quick patch would probably be enough but that's PS2. No such luck there. I'd love to see a SOTC2..

I loved the glowing sword mechanic. I only got frustratingly lost twice, and both times I said "To hell with that beast, LET'S EXPLORE!" Something about a game that gives you something to do even when it's pissing you off.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Rahnzan said:
miracleofsound said:
I agree with you that the good far outweighed the bad but I guess i was just expecting more...
.o. They could....they could gold plate your copy? Heh. A quick patch would probably be enough but that's PS2. No such luck there. I'd love to see a SOTC2..

I loved the glowing sword mechanic. I only got frustratingly lost twice, and both times I said "To hell with that beast, LET'S EXPLORE!" Something about a game that gives you something to do even when it's pissing you off.
Exploration is great but there was nothing in that big world to find or interact with except the colossi... I dunno, maybe I'm spoiled from too much Fallout 3 but beautiful scenery comes as part and package these days. Perhaps if I had played this before getting current gen games or before i played ICO I would have thought it was the best thing ever :D

tamla

Jul 18, 2008
It was a good game with an original idea - something of a rarity tbh.
Even rarer was that it was the second game from the team whose first game was ICO, another good game with an original idea.

Rahnzan

Oct 13, 2008
miracleofsound said:
Exploration is great but there was nothing in that big world to find or interact with except the colossi... I dunno, maybe I'm spoiled from too much Fallout 3 but beautiful scenery comes as part and package these days. Perhaps if I had played this before getting current gen games or before i played ICO I would have thought it was the best thing ever :D
I both respect and understand your sentiment. For me though exploration is just that, exploring. Going to point A, seeing what it looks like, going to point B, seeing what it looks like, etc. Sure it's boring, but man was that game ever fun to play when you couldn't go outside... No disturbing music, no distracting badguys every 20 feet, it was like taking a vacation.

What I've come to realize in my 21 years on earth is that all experiences are based on one of 6 senses/activites. Sight, Sound, Taste, Smell, Touch, and Thought. Typically videogames try to attack sight, sound, thought, and touch if they include rumble shock (and I dont mean a slight rumble every time you swing the sword, I'm talking when they work out the mechanics to make it feel like you're holding a beating heart when your character picks up a beating heart). Thought typically means you'll be reading plaques, listening to characters ramble on about some great mystery or another, figure out who's whos father and who's whos daughter, and who's whos uncles' step mother's brother twice removed. "How did person get to this place?" "How did person get to this level of power?" or even something as straight-forward as "How do you solve THIS puzzle?" I know I complain about the mute hero and let's face it Wander's a mute hero plenty enough, but this game suited it well. I could feel the energy of the world I was exploring, I could see the damage I was doing, I was turning grassy fields into wastelands, and after every kill I felt sympathetic and sometimes even guilty. I felt like I was doing something wrong, and in those moments I had gotten myself lost, I truly explored, more than just going to point A or point B but, "What the hell am I really doing?" We all know what a negative feeling is. Killing gentle giants doing nothing more but defending themselves, they dont chase you down, summong black ghouls in the great temple, it all felt very wrong. And in my spare time I contemplated the fate I was forced into.

I got to explore deeper than any game that handed me a book with a back story. It's not that you're whacked up on Fallout 3 to enjoy the airy openess of Shadow of Colossus, it's that there's chocolate and vanilla, and not everyone likes both. It might just not be your flavor of game. Personally I think 'typical' clues hand me the answers and that sort of robs me of my ability to think the mystery through on my own, and sometimes you're not meant to know the answer until it's too late. And yeah, I'm incredibly biased with this game, absolutely loved it because it was right up my alley, so pardon the sort of one-sidedness.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Rahnzan said:
miracleofsound said:
I both respect and understand your sentiment. For me though exploration is just that, exploring. Going to point A, seeing what it looks like, going to point B, seeing what it looks like, etc. Sure it's boring, but man was that game ever fun to play when you couldn't go outside... No disturbing music, no distracting badguys every 20 feet, it was like taking a vacation.

What I've come to realize in my 21 years on earth is that all experiences are based on one of 6 senses/activites. Sight, Sound, Taste, Smell, Touch, and Thought. Typically videogames try to attack sight, sound, thought, and touch if they include rumble shock (and I dont mean a slight rumble every time you swing the sword, I'm talking when they work out the mechanics to make it feel like you're holding a beating heart when your character picks up a beating heart). Thought typically means you'll be reading plaques, listening to characters ramble on about some great mystery or another, figure out who's whos father and who's whos daughter, and who's whos uncles' step mother's brother twice removed. "How did person get to this place?" "How did person get to this level of power?" or even something as straight-forward as "How do you solve THIS puzzle?" I know I complain about the mute hero and let's face it Wander's a mute hero plenty enough, but this game suited it well. I could feel the energy of the world I was exploring, I could see the damage I was doing, I was turning grassy fields into wastelands, and after every kill I felt sympathetic and sometimes even guilty. I felt like I was doing something wrong, and in those moments I had gotten myself lost, I truly explored, more than just going to point A or point B but, "What the hell am I really doing?" We all know what a negative feeling is. Killing gentle giants doing nothing more but defending themselves, they dont chase you down, summong black ghouls in the great temple, it all felt very wrong. And in my spare time I contemplated the fate I was forced into.

I got to explore deeper than any game that handed me a book with a back story. It's not that you're whacked up on Fallout 3 to enjoy the airy openess of Shadow of Colossus, it's that there's chocolate and vanilla, and not everyone likes both. It might just not be your flavor of game. Personally I think 'typical' clues hand me the answers and that sort of robs me of my ability to think the mystery through on my own, and sometimes you're not meant to know the answer until it's too late. And yeah, I'm incredibly biased with this game, absolutely loved it because it was right up my alley, so pardon the sort of one-sidedness.
That was one of the best thought out and eloquent posts i've seen in a long time.

The death animations for the colossi were indeed heartbreaking, and they looked so sad and helpless as they fell... their bright, innocent looking eyes looking stupidly for you as you ran rings around them and stabbed them brutally in the head...

I've been playing through the game a second time and enjoying it a lot more, once you have the takedowns figured out it becomes less frustrating on a second playthrough (except for the lion/bull cheap repeadted knockdown attack that is just plain annoying).

The world is fun to explore if you are in a lazy, calm mood. I guess its just an acquired taste...

fedpayne

Sep 4, 2008
Hey man, I've been looking to pick up a copy, if you didn't like it feel free to send it on to me. I'll swap you... Spiderman 2?

Portkins

May 27, 2008
What.

I
Loved
Shadow of the Colossus.

You have made one mistake that you will regret, sir Miracleofsound! You have incurred the wrath of portkins and all the dismay that it entails!

*straightens his tie*

The controls were fine, as far as I could see. Controller issues or poor game "Sk177z" are no reason to hate a game. Sure, the Camera didn't like anyone, but no game really has a good camera. (FPS don't count) The bosses, spare the lovely sky one, were remarkably easy, so I can't see how you had issues... The only complaint I had was the sand one... a pain in the buttocks...

I, also, did not play ICO. I hadn't so much as heard of it before I had thoroughly beaten SotC multiple times. Still... I admit I am (likely) the most fanatical devotee to SotC on this forum, and as such will be insanely biased for it, I can't help but point out that you're wrong. Besides, with 13 bosses, and no sword-fodder, how else would you make a game longer than 12 minutes?

Apr 28, 2008
eh, everyone has their tastes, but the only mistake you made was expecting an amazing, godlike game. It never turns out well if you expect that much from a game

I agree that the controles were pretty bad, but still, nothing beats the feeling of climbing and slaying a giant monster, no matter what anyone says.

And the horse was a pain in the ass as well.

But, even with all its faults, its still one of my favorite PS2 games

Jan 3, 2009
I had not encountered any of the problems with the controls you are mentioning. I did make mistakes but they were human errors. I thought the minimalistic approach was very tasteful and made you want to learn more. And your horse was your best friend, not a sidekick.

The landscapes were supposed to be enjoyed and discovering the creatures location was supposed to be half the fun, imagine if it just teleported you from boss to boss. That would be boring and frustrating. The game would not have any pacing at all.

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
miracleofsound said:
You'll love the ending of ICO then :) it DID move me to tears and in my very humble opinion was twice as emotionally affecting as SOTC.
Really? SOTC spent the whole game leading up to the twist, with hints that somethings not quite right cropping up all the time before utterly devastating the player. ICO ended with an emotionally manipulative deus ex machina. Although both moved me to tears.

seidlet

Mar 5, 2009
pigeon_of_doom said:
miracleofsound said:
You'll love the ending of ICO then :) it DID move me to tears and in my very humble opinion was twice as emotionally affecting as SOTC.
Really? SOTC spent the whole game leading up to the twist, with hints that somethings not quite right cropping up all the time before utterly devastating the player. ICO ended with an emotionally manipulative deus ex machina. Although both moved me to tears.
i agree with the above - though i haven't played ICO yet, so i can't comment on that. the title of this thread almost gave me a heart attack, as i spent about twenty minutes starting at my television with my mouth wide open at the end of SOtC - it was an absolutely sublime experience.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
pigeon_of_doom said:
miracleofsound said:
They were both great endings alright, guess its down to personal feeling which one had more of an impact!