Shape-Shifting Robot Blob Has Emerged From Your Nightmares

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
[Insert obvious Skynet joke here]
When I first saw that thing I thought it would hide in my mashed potatoes and jump out at random. That's pretty cool.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
300lb. Samoan said:
Tom Goldman said:
300lb. Samoan said:
fixed - this is how the government is going to start keeping track of otaku!
but seriously, once they realize one with a finer slurry, higher tessellation and more fluid motor control, this is going to be both the most awesome and most fear robot of all. and I think it's safe to add robot beanbag to the ever growing list of Dr. Wily inspired creations
Nah, Wily only makes cute, animal-themed robots.
Paint it blue, put spikes on it, and get it spinning at 1000rpm and it could be a hedgehog bot, would that count?
If it has a face painted on it, sure.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
That is cool and freaky at the same time. It looked more like a blob of zombie the way it moved, but that could be fixed later on. All they have to do is but some suction cups on it and we have a wall-scaling, morphing, blob-bot.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
I can imagine that thing going into someones ears or nostrils, going to their brain, then expanding and making their head explode.

[sub]Run away![/sub]

The Infinite

Mar 30, 2009
It looks like it's breathing... Also it happens to look like a ball I have somewhere around my house... GAH!

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
Strategia said:
Jedamethis said:
Strategia said:
It's cute, I want one :)
It'd be a great pet, just make it able to flop around with all the cables...
Nah, just rig it up with a remote control of some kind. Use it to freak out visitors. "Aww, looks like little Samwise likes you. Look, he's sitting right on your shoulder."
Needs a mouth
"Oh look, he likes your face!"
*slurp*

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
If robots had hearts, that's what I imagine one would look like.
Either that, or someone brought pancake batter to life.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Not sure if I would call it the first steps towards a Cylon but damn it's creepy looking, looks like it's alive.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
I don't see what exactly that thing could achieve... why the hell did they build it? I mean, just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you should. That probably wasn't cheap to engineer.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
That robot's interesting, but where are the robots that can clean my house for me?

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Guitarmasterx7 said:
I don't see what exactly that thing could achieve... why the hell did they build it? I mean, just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you should. That probably wasn't cheap to engineer.
Stick a camera on it and make it remote controlled, send it into small, cramped areas as a spybot? I dunno. I'm sure they had some purpose in mind when they commissioned it; it's not like Congress who make up studies like "which sandwich tastes best" after all.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Yeech. It looks organic. I want one. Putrid little rolling thing. Cute, in it's own way.
Couldn't muscles be emulated using this system?

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
samaritan.squirrel said:
Yeech. It looks organic. I want one. Putrid little rolling thing. Cute, in it's own way.
I guess in theory they could, since the muscle system is essentially electrical pulses sent to the muscles to make them expand and contract....

...which of course leads to the idea of augmented musculature which means either powered armor or mechs. Bear in mind I'm crazy and thinking on a much larger scale than is capable right now, but still.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
AceDiamond said:
samaritan.squirrel said:
I guess in theory they could, since the muscle system is essentially electrical pulses sent to the muscles to make them expand and contract....

...which of course leads to the idea of augmented musculature which means either powered armor or mechs. Bear in mind I'm crazy and thinking on a much larger scale than is capable right now, but still.
Don't worry. You're not the only one. It's a recurring daydream for me.