Share an awesome anime

Clinky

Jan 5, 2012
Keroro Gunsou/Sgt. Frog - I tend to call this series the Japanese answer to spongebob. It's been going for a good while now and I have yet to see any signs of it stopping. It's silly, it's quirky, and just overall really awesome. It has a little bit of continuity... But it works out well for it. I admit this is one where you are watching mostly for the humor. Which even being Japanese humor never failed to make me laugh.

XXXHolic - This is one where I recommend the anime over the manga. While the manga has far better art... The anime doesn't get itself tangled with the mess that is the Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicle storyline. At least from what I've seen. So you wind up with something akin to the aforementioned Mushi-shi. Episodic with a small core cast to keep it together.

Oh and just about any of the first four seasons of Digimon. Tamers and Frontier being my favorites. =3

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
Fappy said:
Fucking "Darker Than Black". It's so good you forget its an anime ;D

ZING!
Fuck i love that anime so much.

I just wish they didn't make that piece of crap second season; now whenever I recommend the show, i always have to say, "don't watch the second season"

BamWam said:
Angel Beats. It's only like 12 episodes.
I saw part of a random episode of that with some friends, and I had no god damn idea what was going on. something about angels, but their in highschool, and this group has a band, and everybody hates this one girl for some reason, and it seems so important that the band gets to play... idk. I know its probably a lot better than that made it look, but it just looked ridiculous

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
I can't believe Gurren Laggan has only gotten two mentions. And it took to the bottom of the first page for it. So despite it being mentioned already I will throw it out there again. It is just so bloody awesome and its not afraid to take a few risks that will shock the hell out of you. It so touching.

I would also recommend Code Geass (again already mentioned). Its a great show that is actually pretty philosophical if you think about it. I don't really want to get into specifics but it does delve into the theories of philosophers like Humes and Machiavelli. Its really good and even if you don't like CLAMP style power through it. Its worth it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Obscure anime?

Dragon Half, it's funny as shit. That's all you need to know.

One of the few animes where the dub is actually better.

Omgsarge

May 11, 2009
Since I haven't seen it yet, I would recommend Haibane Renmei. Its about some angel-like beings that try to life in a normal town, surrounded by a great wall they can't get passt. There is very little action and the story is driven by the personalities and relationships of the characters. It's all about the world they live in and what they do with their lives. It has wonderful music, great atmosphere and a very intriguing storyline. I would recommend it to everybody who likes slower, atmospheric and drama based series.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wApAEg0ErgE

Another good one is Witch Hunter Robin, an anime about Witch Hunters (wow!) that eventually uncover dark secrets that lie beneath the surface. Another very atmospheric series with good music and exciting actions sequences.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsP6EIIcaLY

Also, if we are also allowed to list anime movies then I suggest watching Millennium Actress because that movie is a freaking masterpiece. Seriously, one of the best movies I have ever seen. It was made by Satoshi Kon and if you haven't seen any of his movies yet, then go and find some. That guy was (sadly) one of the best anime directors of all time. (fan-mode off)

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Serial Experiments Lain
it,s a bit of a mind fuck but still interesting to watch
Neon Genesis Evangelion
it,s a deconstruction of the super robot genre but please don't marathon it. also watch it in this order EP1-24-EOE-EP25/26
feel free to drop Death and Rebirth.
also Dominion Tank Police it,s pretty obscure but funny as shit.
also Aim For The Top! Gunbuster probably one of Gainax,s best series

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Tenkage said:
Jonluw said:
Clannad.
Its power to induce pollen allergies in people is unrivaled.

Seriously though, it changed how I look at certain things in life, and it changed my attitude towards sad stories.
Power to induce pollen allergies...sounds like a Sliver age Super Man vllian's power
Yeah, I don't know how it does it.
You're just sitting there, and suddenly you're just sniffling and tearing up.
It's weird, man.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
tthor said:
BamWam said:
I saw part of a random episode of that with some friends, and I had no god damn idea what was going on. something about angels, but their in highschool, and this group has a band, and everybody hates this one girl for some reason, and it seems so important that the band gets to play... idk. I know its probably a lot better than that made it look, but it just looked ridiculous
I assure you it makes sense [sub]...a bit[/sub] if you watch the show from the beginning.
You really should watch it.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
tthor said:
Fappy said:
Fucking "Darker Than Black". It's so good you forget its an anime ;D

ZING!
Fuck i love that anime so much.

I just wish they didn't make that piece of crap second season; now whenever I recommend the show, i always have to say, "don't watch the second season"

BamWam said:
Yeah... its a shame :(