Shatner Does Palin

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Shatner Does Palin

Late-night talk show host Conan O'Brien has figured out why former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin's farewell speech was so awkward and rambling: Not enough Shatner.

Palin's resignation speech in early July was the subject of considerable ridicule, especially after Vanity Fair took the opportunity to "whip it into publishable shape." The result was something of a massacre [http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2009/07/palin-speech-edit-200907], evidence, according to the site, that Palin's "high-priced speechwriters moved back to the Beltway long ago."

But while her resignation address may have been rough around the edges, her final speech as Governor, delivered on Sunday, was something else entirely. O'Brien eventually determined that it was in fact a poem and to prove his point he brought in legendary actor William Shatner [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000638/] to read an excerpt.

The result is genius. Shatner's silky-smooth cadence, delivered to a flowing beatnik groove, turns Palin's awkward fumbling for profundity into the most memorable piece of performance art you're going to see all day. Possibly all week.

You may be confused at first, as I was, but have no doubt: No matter how it looks, this is the real deal. Shatner is quoting Palin's original speech [http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/32168539#32160528] verbatim. Politics as usual? I don't think so. And this, my friends, is definitely better.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
All positive comments aside I think this is a rather negative stunt overall in contrast to her own delivery, and the fact that she's stepping down.

I will remind liberals that they don't have quite the majority that they think they do, and in the end I don't want to hear any crying if the shoe winds up on the other foot at some point.

Of course I could be misinterpeting this, but really I get tired of the satires and generally poor sportsmanship. I porobably wouldn't wind up being so anti-left (which is differant from being pro-right) if it wasn't for the carnival atmosphere.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
If Palin had known about this beforehand, you'd have though she'd have at least one KHAAAAAAAN in there.
Or OBAAAAAMA

That would've made my day. Not entirely sure how to take this but it has Shatner and that makes it fairly awesome

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Therumancer said:
All positive comments aside I think this is a rather negative stunt overall in contrast to her own delivery, and the fact that she's stepping down.

I will remind liberals that they don't have quite the majority that they think they do, and in the end I don't want to hear any crying if the shoe winds up on the other foot at some point.

Of course I could be misinterpeting this, but really I get tired of the satires and generally poor sportsmanship. I porobably wouldn't wind up being so anti-left (which is differant from being pro-right) if it wasn't for the carnival atmosphere.
I don't care who gave the speech, it was a garbled mess, and Shatner reciting it as poetry is hilarious. This isn't about politics at all. If Shane Kim had given this speech, we'd still be posting this.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Therumancer said:

Oh, don't turn this into a political thread, it's just more Shatner, nothing more.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Therumancer said:

The same could be said for the "right" side though as well. Mud is being slung, be it dressed up with satirical ribbons or no, on both sides of the field.

Frankly, I just think they - that is, everyone - should shut up about Palin. She stepped down, she's no longer interesting, could we please move on to something slightly more relevant?

I still laughed though.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
That's really good. I missed that speech, but one question about it... WTF? I admittedly liked her when she announced as McCain's running mate, but it's like she's just been getting weirder and weirder as time goes on...

InvisibleSeal

The Invisible One
May 3, 2009
I know nothing about US politics to be honest, but I listened to the original speech (just before, to see what the contrast was) and Shatner rocks.
Seriously he should do other speeches as well!

I do feel sorry for Palin a bit, but this does seem harmless, and Shatner is just so awesome.

TheLastCylon

Apr 14, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
If Palin had known about this beforehand, you'd have though she'd have at least one KHAAAAAAAN in there.
Someone has to photoshop this. Now.

Capo Taco

Nov 25, 2006
Therumancer said:

Yes I smell poor sportmanship too, but the wind may not be quite going the direction you think it is going.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
This is awesome.

Nothing else to say.

It makes me wonder if Shatner reading all the lines in Resident Evil would be better.

InvisibleSeal

The Invisible One
May 3, 2009
Amnestic said:
InvisibleSeal said:
I do feel sorry for Palin a bit
Sarah Palin said:
"The world needs more Trigs, not fewer."
At about 1:05 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpKhJRRzYfs]

I really don't.
I don't really know what a trig is *blushes* - and the youtube thing doesn't work in Portugal.
I have heard she's not a very nice person though...

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Capo Taco said:
Therumancer said:

Yes I smell poor sportmanship too, but the wind may not be quite going the direction you think it is going.
Don't misunderstand, I don't think we're going to see any sudden change from Left to Right. All I'm saying is that the wind does change eventually, and the nature of the US is such that neither side is going to ever have a clear and overwhelming majority especially nowadays, it's down to a few percentage points.

You already see some of the cracks appearing when it comes to issues like video game censorship. In general you had the right ring screaming about morality and family values and everything else for purposes of censorship but they did very little in the final equasion. As the power started to shift you saw a definate change in the mentality of censorship and how WE want censorship to end all the hate, and violence, racism, and threats to our children. Instead of a fire and brimstone preacher type, we've got a hippy sitting there making a peace sign and convincing you to give up your freedoms for "your own good man".... and honestly as the wind shifted your actually seeing more in the way of actual results when it comes to censorship as we've discussed on these forums before. When people realized we were likely to see a shift in power from the right wing, you'll notice gaming companies started snapping more into line. This might change, but then again it might not.

However, I anticipate we're liable to see at least 8 years overall of left wing control. Maybe 12. But like any "untouchable dynasty" it ALWAYS goes the other way. I'm just saying that most of us are going to be around in 4-12 years and people might want to think ahead to the inevitable snap back. I'd like to see a bit more maturity.

... and for the record, no... I do not think this would have been mocked this way if it was a left wing speech.

I've said my piece, I'm pretty much done in this thread. I am well aware that many are going to disagree with me.