Shatner Does Palin

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Therumancer said:
GonzoGamer said:
Therumancer said:
I will remind liberals that they don't have quite the majority that they think they do, and in the end I don't want to hear any crying if the shoe winds up on the other foot at some point.

Of course I could be misinterpeting this, but really I get tired of the satires and generally poor sportsmanship. I porobably wouldn't wind up being so anti-left (which is differant from being pro-right) if it wasn't for the carnival atmosphere.
I understand - I'm more anti-right than pro left myself but you have to remember it's been more than just liberals who were crying for the past 8 years when the shoe was on the other foot. The right wing lost a lot of actual conservatives in that time. In fact, I think the only constituents they were able to keep are the fanatical zombified Rush Limbaugh audience types who would drink any sort of kool aid the gop would hand over to them. Political heritage types.

In regards to Shatner, he's awsome; I could've never learned hypnosis if it wasn't for him. Still... I liked Rocketman better:
Rock-
et
man;
burning out his fuse, up here...
Alone!

Well, see that is the illusion right there. The liberals did not get a lot of conservatives to jump fence. Even running a minority president in opposition to a long, unpopular war (long wars are always unpopular) the left wound up with a 7% lead. That's it. Now it IS true that your dealing with what is a large margin compared to "recent" American politics where we've been down to the quick when it's come to votes. But overall it's not a huge margin especially under the circumstances. A lot of liberals seem to think that they command like 70% of the populance and that isn't even remotely true.

Fine if you don't like the right wing, there is a division for a reason. BUT let's be frank your not dealing with zombified Rush Limbaugh listeners (to use the quote) but a pretty substantial part of the population compared to which the left wing currently holds a slight lead.

It's also important to note that given left wing media control it's actually kind of shocking how small that lead is. See, the whole "Zombiefied Rush Limbaugh Listener" thing largely comes about because privatly owned media platforms pretty much get to pick who represents the other side on any given issue. This is where criticisms about loaded debates and such come from.
I didn't mean to imply that they jumped ship to the left wing and I certainly didn't mean to imply that it was due to any effort by liberals: I think we can both agree that they're pretty benign and useless. What I meant was that during the Bush administration, many people who proudly called themselves conservative, don't do so anymore (They call themselves independents now) because conservative politicians no longer do things conservatively anymore: they aren't conservative with our money, our resources, or anything else it seems.
A lot of the conservatives I know don't care about the big issues (gay marriage for example) for the gop and their media outlets.

Also, I really hope you're kidding about left wing media control. That's a conspiracy theory more wild than lizardmen. The existence of Fox News (and every other news outlet owned by Rupert Murdoch) ALONE should dispel that myth. If anything conservatives have a better control over the news media; look at how much they're able to get away with.

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
Certainly glad to see Palin go. Whatever your politics, she was still a nutjob.

Shatner's version of the speech was a big improvement on the original.

Palin's unedited speech was pure nonsense. I could right something more effective than that, and I'm dyslexic and lazy.

In our heart of hearts, I think we all know who should really be running America. Cthulhu!

Jul 9, 2008
Therumancer said:
Capo Taco said:
Therumancer said:
I've said my piece, I'm pretty much done in this thread. I am well aware that many are going to disagree with me.
I think it is because you know in your heart that you're not exactly right.

To be more blunt, my wind comment was meant to say that you're the one showing poor sportmanship, not that one or the other party is winning.

The success of america will not depend on whether right wing or left wing wins, it depends on how many capable and virtuous people are elected. Many of bushes decisions were disastrous for the US economy. Some of Obama's decisions look like they might not be the best either, but it's too early to tell.

But when a joke is made about a bad performance of a politician, it's ok to just laugh, rather than seeing it as a battle of us vs. them.

No, it's simply that I've learned from other forums that it's pointless to slug it out on politics. It's better to just state your opinion and move on in many cases, and debate should only be carried so far. You keep going, people get angry, it carries on into the next thread, and the next thing you know your being compared to Godzilla wrecking the peace.

I will say that right now we need capable and ruthless, not capable and virtuous. Simply put we need a massive militant bastard. We just need him to be American's bastard.
I see what you mean, I just wish that we'd stop claiming the moral highground if we're going to be capable and ruthless. That's what always got to me: not that we were (for example) torturing (although I dislike the very idea of torture), but that we were acting holier than thou, as if we have the right to torture but no one else does.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
orannis62 said:
Therumancer said:
Capo Taco said:
Therumancer said:
I've said my piece, I'm pretty much done in this thread. I am well aware that many are going to disagree with me.
I think it is because you know in your heart that you're not exactly right.

To be more blunt, my wind comment was meant to say that you're the one showing poor sportmanship, not that one or the other party is winning.

The success of america will not depend on whether right wing or left wing wins, it depends on how many capable and virtuous people are elected. Many of bushes decisions were disastrous for the US economy. Some of Obama's decisions look like they might not be the best either, but it's too early to tell.

But when a joke is made about a bad performance of a politician, it's ok to just laugh, rather than seeing it as a battle of us vs. them.

No, it's simply that I've learned from other forums that it's pointless to slug it out on politics. It's better to just state your opinion and move on in many cases, and debate should only be carried so far. You keep going, people get angry, it carries on into the next thread, and the next thing you know your being compared to Godzilla wrecking the peace.

I will say that right now we need capable and ruthless, not capable and virtuous. Simply put we need a massive militant bastard. We just need him to be American's bastard.
I see what you mean, I just wish that we'd stop claiming the moral highground if we're going to be capable and ruthless. That's what always got to me: not that we were (for example) torturing (although I dislike the very idea of torture), but that we were acting holier than thou, as if we have the right to torture but no one else does.

Well I see it as a lot like being a cop. We're pretty much the world's policemen and like cops everywhere we're hated until we're actually needed. People scream and yell about civil liberties and their rights when your after them, but as soon as you go after the people they want you to on their behalf then they want you to be Judge bloody Dredd.

Things like torture are nessicary, but frankly the people wielding such powers have to be responsible. If everyone winds of being able to torture without repercussions you wind up with guys like Pol Pot doing a cannonball off the deep end. As a result there needs to be standards for the civilized world, and increasingly differant standards for second and third world countries that can't handle those abillities. Then you've got the guys who are supposed to keep it all in line, and those guys are the ones who are ultimatly going to be acting like cops and wielding powers that ordinary citizens do not have.

I probably am not explaining this analogy well, but that's how I basically see it.

As far as "who elected America the global police" an actual vote was not taken as anyone can tell you, but we were pretty much pushed into the job. We're the only ones with the manpower, capabilities, and central morality to be able to do the job effectively. We're the guys who are the punkhammer when the UN actually decides to do something. People don't typically call France, they scream "America, come save us, yes we badmouthed you, we're sorry, we need heeeellllp" and like a cop saving someone they might not care for, we typically come galloping in to save the day, then the guys we saved jump back on the "we hate America" bandwagon as soon as we back something they find inconveinent.

My holier than thou attitude simply comes down to stuff like this: With it's general human rights violations on it's own people, information control, etc.. China is not capable of handing torture. What it does is an atrocity. On the other hand in time of war when dealing with terrorists and sympathizers our actions which are directed at the enemy are something else entirely. There is a definate differance between attaching electrodes to the nads of a guy from an Al-Queda training camp to find out where the bomb/cell/hostages/etc.. are and sticking bamboo shoots under the finger nails of a pro-democracy demonstrator to teach him a lesson (or whatever the heck they decide to do this week).

Yes, to say "Do as we say, not as we do" is Holier than thou, but it's just like a police officer. He's an authority figure, and can do things that you, joe citizen do not have the right to do. We just operate on a global level, and all of the "joe citizen" countries don't like it until we're standing between them and a problem they can't deal with, then their happy we've taken that responsibility.

A lot of people out there think that America overstates it's importance and things would work just fine without us being the "global police". However they still don't hesitate to yell for help when they need something. What's more if we ever did pull back and go isolationist again (which in my darker moods I think we should do... sadly we can't do it just long enough to teach the world a lesson and then instantly restore the status quo) who the heck are people going to call when there is a global crisis? France?

the1ultimate

Apr 7, 2009
That speech definitely does seem like it was intended to be a poem... But it doesn't sound much like a political speech.

Sarah Palin is definitely not a great speaker. Judging by how she read this [poem] I'd say she just adds what she considers political inflection into anything she's reading.

GamerLuck

Questionably Opinionated
Jul 13, 2009
I bow my head to the awesome that is.. Shatner!

i also hope the satireist and comedians will continue with the Palin jokes. Its refreshing to hear them make fun of someone other then bush or clinton.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
darthzew said:
That's really good. I missed that speech, but one question about it... WTF? I admittedly liked her when she announced as McCain's running mate, but it's like she's just been getting weirder and weirder as time goes on...
Guess that's what politics does to you.

What doesn't kill you makes you stranger...

dodo1331

May 23, 2009
I feel bad for Palin. The media has been, for the most part, very unforgiving with her mistakes. With Obama, its almost always praises.

mshcherbatskaya

Feb 1, 2008
Palin has the same problem as Bush, which is that, on her own, she can't string together a coherent English sentence. This is not to say that she is stupid. I don't know if she's stupid. I've known some very smart people who just simply lacked language ability. But politics is a job that requires oratorical skill and that woman sounds like a moron when she opens her mouth on anything but a professionally written speech.

Cortheya

Elite Member
Jan 10, 2009
I thought of something TOTALLY different when I read the title.....
Shatner is a great actor

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Valiance said:
This is awesome.

Nothing else to say.

It makes me wonder if Shatner reading all the lines in Resident Evil would be better.
Except they're already fairly Shatner-esque in their delivery, so I'm not sure all that much would change. Now, Shatner doing something like...I don't know, what's a really overwrought JRPG? You know, something with a lot of god references, or something. That'd be perfect.
I swear my mind just exploded from the sheer awesome-ness of that idea, thanks Susan!

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Therumancer said:
Things like torture are nessicary
Dude, any credibility you may have had in this conversation, or probably any other in the future, just went sailing out the window.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Malygris said:
Therumancer said:
Things like torture are nessicary
Dude, any credibility you may have had in this conversation, or probably any other in the future, just went sailing out the window.
Obviously we disagree on a fundemental moral point which could spawn a thread of it's own (and actually has). To try and explain my position on the matter would however derail this thread since it was a side issue, and it could get complicated.

Normally I wouldn't care about your fly by, but you are red.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
Fanusc101 said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
If Palin had known about this beforehand, you'd have though she'd have at least one KHAAAAAAAN in there.
Someone has to photoshop this. Now.
someone has to figure out how to photoshop sound first.

Susan Arendt said:
Valiance said:
This is awesome.

Nothing else to say.

It makes me wonder if Shatner reading all the lines in Resident Evil would be better.
Except they're already fairly Shatner-esque in their delivery, so I'm not sure all that much would change. Now, Shatner doing something like...I don't know, what's a really overwrought JRPG? You know, something with a lot of god references, or something. That'd be perfect.
no, the randomly generated beat poetry from Grim Fandango would be perfect.

JRPG dialogue would just be very, very good.