InvisibleSeal said:
Amnestic said:
InvisibleSeal said:
I do feel sorry for Palin a bit
Sarah Palin said:
"The world needs more Trigs, not fewer."
At about 1:05 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpKhJRRzYfs]

I really don't.
I don't really know what a trig is *blushes* - and the youtube thing doesn't work in Portugal.
I have heard she's not a very nice person though...
Sarah Palin's son, born with Down's Syndrome. Her quote then, in essence is "The world needs more children with Down's Syndrome."

InvisibleSeal

The Invisible One
May 3, 2009
Amnestic said:
InvisibleSeal said:
Amnestic said:
InvisibleSeal said:
I do feel sorry for Palin a bit
Sarah Palin said:
"The world needs more Trigs, not fewer."
At about 1:05 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpKhJRRzYfs]

I really don't.
I don't really know what a trig is *blushes* - and the youtube thing doesn't work in Portugal.
I have heard she's not a very nice person though...
Sarah Palin's son, born with Down's Syndrome. Her quote then, in essence is "The world needs more children with Down's Syndrome."
That sounds like a very dumb and selfish opinion then. Shouldn't she be looking for funding to cure / remove symptoms for Down's Syndrome instead (as in, to avoid people in the future having to suffer)?

Sorry if what I said before annoyed you - I really don't know that much about her. I was just thinking that Shatner said the speech way better!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Valiance said:
This is awesome.

Nothing else to say.

It makes me wonder if Shatner reading all the lines in Resident Evil would be better.
Except they're already fairly Shatner-esque in their delivery, so I'm not sure all that much would change. Now, Shatner doing something like...I don't know, what's a really overwrought JRPG? You know, something with a lot of god references, or something. That'd be perfect.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
well, the title was very attention-grabbing. Politician/actor sex scandals?

painfully blunt gags aside, how could sarah palin reading a poem not sound like a poem? does she have even less emotion than gordon brown? maybe shooting all those wild animals has sucked the love out of her soul...

vultureX21

Feb 26, 2009
Therumancer said:
All positive comments aside I think this is a rather negative stunt overall in contrast to her own delivery, and the fact that she's stepping down.

I will remind liberals that they don't have quite the majority that they think they do, and in the end I don't want to hear any crying if the shoe winds up on the other foot at some point.

Of course I could be misinterpeting this, but really I get tired of the satires and generally poor sportsmanship. I porobably wouldn't wind up being so anti-left (which is differant from being pro-right) if it wasn't for the carnival atmosphere.
Whatever side you fall on, liberal, conservative, or something in between, you have to be embarrassed just to be associated with Palin as a fellow American. John McCain has and always will be one of my favorite people, but when he added a malignant tumor in Palin to his campaign you could have called the whole thing right there. She may not be as dim and politically oblivious as she appears in her press releases, speeches, blog posts, interviews, and casual conversation, but she is absolutely not doing anything to appear otherwise.

You're right, there's a liberal fest going on right now in the country, which is understandable following two terms of Bush, and they have overblown some things. Even so, I still can't find many reasons to want Sarah Palin in a position of power or influence.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Unfortunately, even the Shat couldn't make some of those lines sound good. However, it certainly sounded better.

Long live Shatner.

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
Wow. Palin just got owned by Shatner. I renounce any and all ridicule I have ever thrown Bill S's way.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Therumancer said:
I will remind liberals that they don't have quite the majority that they think they do, and in the end I don't want to hear any crying if the shoe winds up on the other foot at some point.

Of course I could be misinterpeting this, but really I get tired of the satires and generally poor sportsmanship. I porobably wouldn't wind up being so anti-left (which is differant from being pro-right) if it wasn't for the carnival atmosphere.
I understand - I'm more anti-right than pro left myself but you have to remember it's been more than just liberals who were crying for the past 8 years when the shoe was on the other foot. The right wing lost a lot of actual conservatives in that time. In fact, I think the only constituents they were able to keep are the fanatical zombified Rush Limbaugh audience types who would drink any sort of kool aid the gop would hand over to them. Political heritage types.

In regards to Shatner, he's awsome; I could've never learned hypnosis if it wasn't for him. Still... I liked Rocketman better:
Rock-
et
man;
burning out his fuse, up here...
Alone!

vultureX21

Feb 26, 2009
Therumancer said:
However, I anticipate we're liable to see at least 8 years overall of left wing control. Maybe 12. But like any "untouchable dynasty" it ALWAYS goes the other way. I'm just saying that most of us are going to be around in 4-12 years and people might want to think ahead to the inevitable snap back. I'd like to see a bit more maturity.

... and for the record, no... I do not think this would have been mocked this way if it was a left wing speech.
I agree with the first part, there is always a counter push after one side holds power long enough to make a mistake.

As for the unlikelihood of a left-winger being skewered for saying something so garbled and foolish you have to admire Jon Stewart's continued efforts to mock all of politics (those who have seen the "That's Great... Now Fix the Economy" skits know what I mean) and I'd prefer to see more of it myself. In reality no, there's not a lot of comedic stuff out there hitting the left but such is the fluctuation of opinion at the moment.

Capo Taco

Nov 25, 2006
Therumancer said:
I've said my piece, I'm pretty much done in this thread. I am well aware that many are going to disagree with me.
I think it is because you know in your heart that you're not exactly right.

To be more blunt, my wind comment was meant to say that you're the one showing poor sportmanship, not that one or the other party is winning.

The success of america will not depend on whether right wing or left wing wins, it depends on how many capable and virtuous people are elected. Many of bushes decisions were disastrous for the US economy. Some of Obama's decisions look like they might not be the best either, but it's too early to tell.

But when a joke is made about a bad performance of a politician, it's ok to just laugh, rather than seeing it as a battle of us vs. them.

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Therumancer said:
All positive comments aside I think this is a rather negative stunt overall in contrast to her own delivery, and the fact that she's stepping down.

I don't care who gave the speech, it was a garbled mess, and Shatner reciting it as poetry is hilarious. This isn't about politics at all. If Shane Kim had given this speech, we'd still be posting this.
So true, the 'speech' was just such nonsense that no matter who wrote it would have been made fun of. The act that Palin did it perhaps makes it a little bit more ridiculed, but either way it was a mess of a speech.

Although on the other hand, it was quite a lovely poem was it not? And Shatner made it even better.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Valiance said:
This is awesome.

Nothing else to say.

It makes me wonder if Shatner reading all the lines in Resident Evil would be better.
Except they're already fairly Shatner-esque in their delivery, so I'm not sure all that much would change. Now, Shatner doing something like...I don't know, what's a really overwrought JRPG? You know, something with a lot of god references, or something. That'd be perfect.
Xenogears by William Shatner would be a piece of surreal hilarity of ultra-awesomeness.

I would most likely die laughing, and it would really be an improvement over the original voice acting.

Really.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
Therumancer said:

And who says right wingers arent uptight...

God just have some fun for christ sake.
I was under the impression most right-wing conservatives in this puritanical country were diametrically opposed to the very concept of "fun," vis a vis the often vitriolic reaction most right-wing pundits have to the likes of Jon Stewart. I wouldn't be surprised if Rush or Bill O'Rielly declares Shatner an enemy of the state.

Though if Colbert does it, it'll be hilarious.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Shatner an enemy of the state.
Shatner's a shaman, everyone knows shaman are SATANISTS. If he was a Real American[sup](TM)[/sup], Shatner would be a Paladin. But he's not. He's a god-hating Shaman.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
GonzoGamer said:
Therumancer said:

I understand - I'm more anti-right than pro left myself but you have to remember it's been more than just liberals who were crying for the past 8 years when the shoe was on the other foot. The right wing lost a lot of actual conservatives in that time. In fact, I think the only constituents they were able to keep are the fanatical zombified Rush Limbaugh audience types who would drink any sort of kool aid the gop would hand over to them. Political heritage types.

In regards to Shatner, he's awsome; I could've never learned hypnosis if it wasn't for him. Still... I liked Rocketman better:
Rock-
et
man;
burning out his fuse, up here...
Alone!

Well, see that is the illusion right there. The liberals did not get a lot of conservatives to jump fence. Even running a minority president in opposition to a long, unpopular war (long wars are always unpopular) the left wound up with a 7% lead. That's it. Now it IS true that your dealing with what is a large margin compared to "recent" American politics where we've been down to the quick when it's come to votes. But overall it's not a huge margin especially under the circumstances. A lot of liberals seem to think that they command like 70% of the populance and that isn't even remotely true.

Fine if you don't like the right wing, there is a division for a reason. BUT let's be frank your not dealing with zombified Rush Limbaugh listeners (to use the quote) but a pretty substantial part of the population compared to which the left wing currently holds a slight lead.

It's also important to note that given left wing media control it's actually kind of shocking how small that lead is. See, the whole "Zombiefied Rush Limbaugh Listener" thing largely comes about because privatly owned media platforms pretty much get to pick who represents the other side on any given issue. This is where criticisms about loaded debates and such come from.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Capo Taco said:
Therumancer said:
I've said my piece, I'm pretty much done in this thread. I am well aware that many are going to disagree with me.
I think it is because you know in your heart that you're not exactly right.

To be more blunt, my wind comment was meant to say that you're the one showing poor sportmanship, not that one or the other party is winning.

The success of america will not depend on whether right wing or left wing wins, it depends on how many capable and virtuous people are elected. Many of bushes decisions were disastrous for the US economy. Some of Obama's decisions look like they might not be the best either, but it's too early to tell.

But when a joke is made about a bad performance of a politician, it's ok to just laugh, rather than seeing it as a battle of us vs. them.

No, it's simply that I've learned from other forums that it's pointless to slug it out on politics. It's better to just state your opinion and move on in many cases, and debate should only be carried so far. You keep going, people get angry, it carries on into the next thread, and the next thing you know your being compared to Godzilla wrecking the peace.

I will say that right now we need capable and ruthless, not capable and virtuous. Simply put we need a massive militant bastard. We just need him to be American's bastard.