Shigeru Miyamoto Finds Super Mario Bros. 3 Embarrassing

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
Diligent said:
The Bandit said:
Super Mario Bros. 3 isn't good enough, but Super Mario Bros. Wii is?
You beat me to that one.
Yeah I feel the same about Super Mario Wii. At this stage, playing that was an exercise in how much reflex and timing I've lost since I was a kid. Doesn't help to play it with my 6 year old nephew who insists on trying to kill me than finish the stages. I couldn't even get any of my friends to touch that game so there's been no mutual co-op play on it for me. G ave up. Only 2 games that get played on my Wii anymore are Smash Bros. Brawl and Dokapon Kingdom once in a blue moon when my friends are in town... and we use Gamecube controllers for both. We're officially sick of Motion Controls.

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
Diligent said:
The Bandit said:
Super Mario Bros. 3 isn't good enough, but Super Mario Bros. Wii is?
You beat me to that one.
Yeah I feel the same about Super Mario Wii. At this stage, playing that was an exercise in how much reflex and timing I've lost since I was a kid. Doesn't help to play it with my 6 year old nephew who insists on trying to kill me than finish the stages. I couldn't even get any of my friends to touch that game so there's been no mutual co-op play on it for me. G ave up. Only 2 games that get played on my Wii anymore are Smash Bros. Brawl and Dokapon Kingdom once in a blue moon when my friends are in town... and we use Gamecube controllers for both. We're officially sick of Motion Controls.

Enderrr

Dec 8, 2009
But the 1 million crappy sports games and everything else with mario shoved into it are all good representations of the IP? Ok.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Clearly the developer has the ability to avoid those Nostalgia goggles what with not being a kid when the game came out. Therefor he can see and address issues and judge the game from a different viewpoint. Its nice to see something other then a usual viewpoint.

Folio

Jun 11, 2010
So the clone of Doki Doki Panic with just some spriteswaps and was the only story in the form of Mario's dream was okay.

But a solid Mario title with flying Racoon powers and shoes? That's just embarrassing!

Why does Miyamoto San think Mario 3 is bad? I wish they returned a bit more to the old ways. I want Mario in fantastic worlds build within a castle! Not just some cheap planets...

Sure, New Super Mario Brothers Wii has the same difficulty and map design. But not really the same creativity. (I wonder if there are any maps with Giant critters...)

Analogfantasies

May 18, 2008
While I consider Super Mario World better, 3 is nothing to sneeze at. It introduced many of the mechanics that were polished in World, and was light years beyond the original SMB. It was a very solid game, and I've never once considered it simplistic.

He feels they could have done more with the game? The thing is, they DID do more with the game. Everything that might've been lacking in 3 was made up for in World. I don't see how that in any way can be an embarrassment.

What he should consider an embarrassment is the original sequel to SMB. Essentially the same game, with the same graphics, just harder. Having to replace the sprites in an entirely different game just to sell SMB 2 to the US should have told him something. But no, SMB 3 should be looked upon as a game that improved upon the original VASTLY, and was a good stepping stone to teach him how to make SMW perfect.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Really? He should be embarrassed about Doki Doki Panic, which sadly got turned into Super Mario Bros 2 over here in the states because Nintendo of America thought the real SMB2 was "too hard".

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
I don't really think that much of Mario, especially recently... but Super Mario Bros. 3? Some of the best memories of my life, definitely of my gaming life. Me, my dad and my sister gathered around that little screen, doubting our ability to get to the next Koopa Kid, let alone beat them... having to restart every time the power went out... but eventually, together, making it all the way and finishing the game. You know what the best part was? No c**k-slap ending, or bad gameplay, like SMB2.

Then again, this was his baby, and at least he's critical of his own past work in a constructive way.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I think the Mario game Myamoto should have criticized was Sunshine. I mean, it was fun to play and the concept was creative, but environmental messages? A game where Mario uses a Squirt gun instead of things like fire flowers, Mushrooms, or Hats? And the game after Mario 64? Yeah, not the greatest game ever.

Analogfantasies

May 18, 2008
Another thing I thought of. If 3 hadn't been made, I don't think there would be a super mario world at all. Certainly not outside of Japan. 3 is what really made Mario a super star. If 3 hadn't been made, do people honestly think we would STILL be talking about Mario in the same way now, 2 decades later?

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
But Mario 3 is Friggin' amazing.
It's often competing with World for the title of best Mario game of all time.

Hell, sometimes it's competing for best game, period.

Plus, it's friggin' amazing!