Shigeru Miyamoto Finds Super Mario Bros. 3 Embarrassing

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Hate to disagree with God, but I'll continue to hold that, when regarded in the context of it's time (re: what had come before, what was achievable at the time and applying those same criteria to everything that's come since) SMB3 is the greatest game ever made. It was really where what we now think of as "Mario-style platforming" got perfected - every installment since has basically been adding to that template.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Aura Guardian said:
Super Mario World was the better Mario game. SMB3 was good. Not World good...but good.
Super mario world 3 was the one with the racoon suit and final levels where you basically fight on bowsers flagships and the thunder brothers randomly attack you on the board game field? I never liked that one much either I always like the one where you could ride a yoshi for the first time. Although I kinda have a soft spot for the land games I really grew up with those more and to be honest I'm still waiting for a remake of super mario and the six golden coins.

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
Tim Latshaw said:
How to make Mario Bros. 3 Better:
1. More Kuribo's Shoe
2. That's all I got
Heresy!

You've forgotten the Frog, Tanooki, and Hammer Bros. suits. They were the only reasoned I suffered through the insane difficulty of that game.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
The Bandit said:
Super Mario Bros. 3 isn't good enough, but Super Mario Bros. Wii is?
I don't get the hate for that game.....not one bit. (and I ESPECIALLY don't get the hate for Mario Galaxy but that a different story) I've yet to hear a single legitimate criticism about it. It was easily the best 2d Mario game to date. The real question is whether it's the best game with respect to the era in which it was released, and for that, there are valid arguments for every installment in the franchise.

I have fond memories of Super Mario 3. I remember the first time I beat it, it was by using the dual flute trick, but after that, I replayed the game and made sure that I had beaten every level possible before entering any castles, which meant that I beat every level in the game. I also didn't use any items except mushrooms. I loved how some of the levels incorporated different types of puzzles or required going up or down to reach the goal instead always right.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
WilliamRLBaker said:
....Yeah in amongst Miyamoto's only talent being able to rehash the same stuff over and over and over again...how can he even make that statement?
Yep...that's all Miyamoto ever does....
Except Nintendo is one of the best developers at consistently updating and improving their franchises. People seem to mistake the fact that they keep their characters and franchises alive for rehashing the same game over and over. Every single console Mario, Metroid, and Zelda has made significant changes in gameplay, which is more than you can say for about 95% of games released today. Did we not just see CoD BO break launch day sales when it's essentially MW2 (which was the same as every CoD b4 it) with updates to combat balancing. Are we not on our 5th Halo and 5th GTA over the last 10 years, both of which get amazing reviews and sell shitloads with absolutely no changes in actual gameplay? And meanwhile there are people criticizing Nintendo....for lack of innovation and creativity....the company that came up nearly every major addition to console gaming....the company that has about 25 unique and long running franchises? That's a huge double standard.

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
I like how Miyamoto has these high standards for himself. He is never contented with all his successes. He always wants to do something better, something grander. That is the mindset of an innovator.

Michael O'Hair

Jul 29, 2010
I enjoyed SMB3 more than SMW. I stopped playing SMW it after finding all the levels, but resumed after fan-made levels began appearing and promptly quit. Every now and them I play SMB3 from start to end just to see if my skill has somehow improved. Not so with SMW.

I think Mr. Miyamoto lives in some fantasy land where he either is oblivious or ignores feedback about his more recent games.

Luigi's Mansion? Whack.
Super Mario Sunshine? Less than stellar.
Super Mario Galaxy? Meh.
New Super Mario Bros? SMB3 is written all over it, but not as endearing as the original.

Not exactly a track record to brag about.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I know it's been said, but in terms of top bestest Mario games ever, Mario 3 is a solid second place, maybe first if you really didn't care for SMW for some reason. After that, I don't even know what to place next, because it's just that far ahead of the curve. I suppose if I wanted to expand the list, Yoshi's Island would be up there along with the latter GB games. That Wario game was awesome.

Invghost

Nov 6, 2010
Honestly after they went to the n64, Mario went downhill, apart from Paper Mario and PM:TTYD.

Darkong

Nov 6, 2007
Michael O said:
I enjoyed SMB3 more than SMW. I stopped playing SMW it after finding all the levels, but resumed after fan-made levels began appearing and promptly quit. Every now and them I play SMB3 from start to end just to see if my skill has somehow improved. Not so with SMW.

I think Mr. Miyamoto lives in some fantasy land where he either is oblivious or ignores feedback about his more recent games.

Luigi's Mansion? Whack.
Super Mario Sunshine? Less than stellar.
Super Mario Galaxy? Meh.
New Super Mario Bros? SMB3 is written all over it, but not as endearing as the original.

Not exactly a track record to brag about.
You missed the point completely I think, its not that he doesn't think SMB3 is a good game, he just looks back and thinks how much more it could have been even given the technology of the time. However, he probably sees that in all his games, but only SMB3 is addressed here.

As for those other games, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it but I have to respectfully disagree with you. I thought Luigi's mansion was good if a tad short, Sunshine was fun despite some flaws, Galaxy was excellent and New both lots of fun and a nice throwback to the older games.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Aura Guardian said:
Super Mario World was the better Mario game. SMB3 was good. Not World good...but good.
Exactly! I'm really happy to find someone who thinks the same. I've always had the feeling 'Super Mario World' was the finetuning to what made SMB 3 great and still is my favourite Mario game. Not to say that the 3rd one is a bad game (far from it), I just prefer capes and haunted mansions.

And... well... I really like the non-japanese version of Super Mario 2. It's a nostalgic thing.

droppingpenny

Feb 27, 2010
No wonder he finds SMB 3 embarrassing, it was actually good! Oh and Super Mario World to easy and uninteresting to be even called a game.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
droppingpenny said:
Oh and Super Mario World to easy and uninteresting to be even called a game.
*head explodes*

Ot: Anyways, definitely for its time, Mario 3 was utterly unsurpassed. I wouldn't say it was better than World though, because that just refined it. I also think 64 is better than both of those games, and Galaxy better than that. But certainly, for its time Mario 3 was astonishingly good.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
If it wasn't for New Super Mario Brothers I could somewhat understand this, SMB3 stands up well next to Galaxy but it's clear Galaxy is a much more advanced game in every way. NSMB and NSMB Wii are just downgrades of SMB3.

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
I just recently played through SMB3 (though it was the All-star SNES version), and even in this day and age I like it a helluva lot more than any of the Mario games since Super Mario 64. SMB3 was/is a masterpiece and I can find a lot more to hate in the current titles.

droppingpenny

Feb 27, 2010
Outright Villainy said:
droppingpenny said:
Oh and Super Mario World to easy and uninteresting to be even called a game.
*head explodes*

Ot: Anyways, definitely for its time, Mario 3 was utterly unsurpassed. I wouldn't say it was better than World though, because that just refined it. I also think 64 is better than both of those games, and Galaxy better than that. But certainly, for its time Mario 3 was astonishingly good.
I think World ist the Watered down version of SMB 3, nothing new or interesting was added, while with NSMB Wii there were some nice improvements to the Gameplay of SMB 3 which makes it as good or better depending on how you view it. SM64, Sunshine and Galaxies are not as good as Super Mario World, though I admit they tried really hard to make these games as good as possible.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
viranimus said:
Yeah... Personally I see this as representative of just how out of touch this is. Perhaps im wrong, just seems that way to me.
I'm sort of leaning that way right now. SMB 3 still holds up. Not as a contemporary marvel of graphics or physics, but as an amazingly fun game.

Though like many others, I like Super Mario World more.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Icehearted said:
On the other hand he's the guy that thought we were too dumb for SMB2 (the real one)
What?

For starters, that was a Nintendo of America decision, and furthermore it was all about the game looking too much like the original, and being too difficult.