Shigeru Miyamoto Says His Rivals Are Boring, Samey

Quantum Star

Jul 17, 2010
Snotnarok said:
I hate to jump on calling him/Nintendo out for rehashes but Nintendo is pretty much anti-new IP.
For all the crap anyone can try and give CoD and the other AAA games, many of Nintendo's games have existed from the 80's on. Yes- I'm fully aware they're not a yearly affair- because they have more than 1 IP to push out the door so they mitigate that with dropping another series out the door instead.

Which is fine as most of them are usually polished games (Other M withstanding), but they at every opportunity fight against new IPs.

Kirby's Epic Yarn, Smash Brothers, Star Fox Adventures and other games they've put out were meant to have new characters as stars but they flat out switched it up and shoved their existing characters in ....because it would sell better. And they're probably right, but they're just as bad in many ways.
Hey, have you heard of Codename S.T.E.A.M? No? It's a new IP from Nintendo coming out soon about a steampunk army from Victorian England repelling alien invaders.

Heard of Splatoon? No? It's another new IP from Nintendo coming out soon about half-squid half-humans engaged in paintball wars and fighting octopus propaganda campaigns.

Hell, heard of Drill Dozer, Xenoblade, Nintendogs, Rhythm Heaven, or The Wonderful 101? Theses are all new IP's created through Nintendo over the past decade, and there are plenty more than just those. Nintendo gets slandered for having some alien aversion to new series because people like to conveniently ignore when they branch out into new territory for the sake of validating their incorrect argument. Or, they haven't heard of them in total honesty, which further validates that they aren't even interested in finding a new series from Nintendo, and don't bother to do the research.

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
One one hand I do agree with him. The video game industry, as a whole, does suffer from bandwagon fever. But then that's been the case for the better part of 30 years now. It just seems worse now because even when new IPs aren't coming out ripping off older IPs (remember the GTA clone heyday? I do.) it's a yearly release schedule guaranteeing you'll have a brand new, innovation free (and bug ridden due to rushed development) card board cut out of that game you may have loved several iterations ago. It's just triple bad now because we're close enough to the start of a new console generation where people are adding polish to their hits from the last gen and re-releasing them in this one (I liked The Last of Us. Did I need to see it look better? Not really, but it came bundled with my PS4 and I would have rather played that again than Destiny). I seriously have a co-worker who's excited to play GTAV on his PS4. I want to just look at him and say "Dude, didn't you spend over $100 on a collector's edition of this game last year?"

On the other hand he is SO not the person to be throwing that stone. I know Nintendo fandom runs strong and deep, but my ability to care about Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and works derived from them (I don't care if Mario Kart and Smash Bros. are technically different IPs, they're still lumped into the above mess) is non-existent. And do you know why? The consistent lack of any effort put into story. Bowser kidnaps Peach, Ganondorf wants him some sweet triforce ect. Yawn. It's not just nintendo I've sworn off Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Assassin's Creed games anything where innovation takes a back seat to making people relive the same gameplay experience over and over again.

On a side note. Exclusives are fun when you're on the right side of them. They make you feel like you picked the right console, but when you're on the wrong side you just feel arbitrarily left out. For example... loved me some Metal Gear Solid over the years, but was downright pissed when I was the last platform to get the DLC for Fallout 3.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
CaptainMarvelous said:
Harry Mason said:
Yo Miyamoto. Tim Schafer has more unique creative output in single summer than you have had in your entire career. If he had the enormous resources you have, I guaran-freakin-tee you he wouldn't have Raz playing tennis against Sonic the Hedgehog.

So nyeh.
Are you honestly saying Tim Schafer is more creative than Miyamoto? You think the guy who made Brutal Legend is more innovative than the guy who invented the jump button?
Jesus, that's not even a case of opinion, that's just flat-out unreasonable. I got nothing against Tim Schafer but seriously, dude, look into what he did for the industry before saying such things, you know not of what you speak.
I am, and I do.

Saying Miyamoto is the most creative videogame developer in the industry is like saying the caveman who carved the first wheel is the best automotive manufacturer. Schafer has only been making games since the 1980's, but he is constantly moving forward and trying something new with everything he does. Even if it turns out poorly (Read: Combat in Full Throttle). He bangs out a dozen entirely new game mechanics every year. Some of them are amazing, some of them aren't, but he is still creating.

Schafer has been pushing the envelope, hard, with his games, his writing, and the way he runs his businesses, for 25 years. Miyamoto made a handful of successful IPs and rode the success of a videogame industry giant the rest of the way.

Are you seriously going to try to convince me the man who made "Wii Sports Resort" has a single ounce of relevance left? He is wealthy and well known. That's it at this point.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Toadfish1 said:
Oooh, somebody is jealous of other platofmrs success now that Nintendos sales are in the crapper and they're not going to improve.
Oh look someone came here to just tick other people off. You do realize that the Xbone is technically the one "losing" this console war right now and the Wii U sales are going up right?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Quantum Star said:
Snotnarok said:
I hate to jump on calling him/Nintendo out for rehashes but Nintendo is pretty much anti-new IP.
For all the crap anyone can try and give CoD and the other AAA games, many of Nintendo's games have existed from the 80's on. Yes- I'm fully aware they're not a yearly affair- because they have more than 1 IP to push out the door so they mitigate that with dropping another series out the door instead.

Which is fine as most of them are usually polished games (Other M withstanding), but they at every opportunity fight against new IPs.

Kirby's Epic Yarn, Smash Brothers, Star Fox Adventures and other games they've put out were meant to have new characters as stars but they flat out switched it up and shoved their existing characters in ....because it would sell better. And they're probably right, but they're just as bad in many ways.
Hey, have you heard of Codename S.T.E.A.M? No? It's a new IP from Nintendo coming out soon about a steampunk army from Victorian England repelling alien invaders.

Heard of Splatoon? No? It's another new IP from Nintendo coming out soon about half-squid half-humans engaged in paintball wars and fighting octopus propaganda campaigns.

Hell, heard of Drill Dozer, Xenoblade, Nintendogs, Rhythm Heaven, or The Wonderful 101? Theses are all new IP's created through Nintendo over the past decade, and there are plenty more than just those. Nintendo gets slandered for having some alien aversion to new series because people like to conveniently ignore when they branch out into new territory for the sake of validating their incorrect argument. Or, they haven't heard of them in total honesty, which further validates that they aren't even interested in finding a new series from Nintendo, and don't bother to do the research.
Codename steam isn't out yet, nor is Splatoon so no I don't know what they're about and till they're out, they don't count. They can cancel them, purpose them or hell maybe they're being made by someone else- not the first time that happened. We'll see how that works out, me personally I don't care till the games are on shelves. Plenty of games looked good then never came out.

Yes, I'm well aware of Drilldozer I have it but those games you listed were published, not developed by Nintendo so that hardly counts. That's like saying EA made Mass Effect and Sega made Aliens or Sony made Crash Bandicoot- which they never even owned. Which is what happened with Conker since Rare made him, Rare took him onto the Xbox.
These aren't studios owned by Nintendo either, Game Freak were making games for other devices before they became a Pokemon factory, Rare as well. So Nintendo doesn't exactly get credit for it because they funded the company to make the game.

They're not being ignored, they didn't MAKE the games, they're published by Nintendo. By that same logic Nintendo created Bayonetta right?

You would have been more accurate saying Pikman which was a converted Mario tech demo to a full game with new characters, gameplay mechanics and such.

This is the same weird thinking that has people thinking Nintendo created the analog stick when there were companies 20 years before them having that same tech, motion controls when there were devices prior to that including a console sponsored by Jackie Chan.

I'm not some fanatical Nintendo hater, I have a WiiU, I have a 3DSXL, GBA SP, SNES, Gamecube, Wii. I have plenty of their games and enjoy them I know what I'm talking about. I'm asking for new stuff from Nintendo, not the dev teams they pay.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Toadfish1 said:
Oooh, somebody is jealous of other platofmrs success now that Nintendos sales are in the crapper and they're not going to improve.
I'm going to ignore the troll baiting and instead say that the reason you think this is because the title of this article seems to imply that the entire interview was about other game companies. It's not. It was him discussing his own way on video game development. What he looks for in a game and what he prefers. Not surprisingly, he states that he prefers to focus on a solid gameplay foundation and then work around that. The only reason why he makes the comparison to other companies (and it wasn't towards Sony and Microsoft) was because he was directly asked that. And he wasn't even criticizing sameness as you are (i.e. Call of Duty Syndrome). He was talking about the design process around it. He believes that most video games overemphasize story over gameplay, to the point where gameplay is severely lacking. In essence, the game is built around a story then made into a video game rather than what he does which is the opposite. This is why he feels games are the "same". So no, he's not talking about the success of other companies in a jealous rage. Nice try though.

Really looking forward to being mocked at for being a "Nintendo worshiper" again...

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Snotnarok said:
Quantum Star said:
Snotnarok said:

Codename steam isn't out yet, nor is Splatoon so no I don't know what they're about and till they're out, they don't count. They can cancel them, purpose them or hell maybe they're being made by someone else- not the first time that happened. We'll see how that works out, me personally I don't care till the games are on shelves. Plenty of games looked good then never came out.

Yes, I'm well aware of Drilldozer I have it but those games you listed were published, not developed by Nintendo so that hardly counts. That's like saying EA made Mass Effect and Sega made Aliens or Sony made Crash Bandicoot- which they never even owned. Which is what happened with Conker since Rare made him, Rare took him onto the Xbox.
These aren't studios owned by Nintendo either, Game Freak were making games for other devices before they became a Pokemon factory, Rare as well. So Nintendo doesn't exactly get credit for it because they funded the company to make the game.

They're not being ignored, they didn't MAKE the games, they're published by Nintendo. By that same logic Nintendo created Bayonetta right?

You would have been more accurate saying Pikman which was a converted Mario tech demo to a full game with new characters, gameplay mechanics and such.

This is the same weird thinking that has people thinking Nintendo created the analog stick when there were companies 20 years before them having that same tech, motion controls when there were devices prior to that including a console sponsored by Jackie Chan.

I'm not some fanatical Nintendo hater, I have a WiiU, I have a 3DSXL, GBA SP, SNES, Gamecube, Wii. I have plenty of their games and enjoy them I know what I'm talking about. I'm asking for new stuff from Nintendo, not the dev teams they pay.
...ok, so let's assume that Wonderful 101, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Rhythym Heaven are not Nintendo IPs for a second here. They are, especially Rhythym Heaven (that's an internal Nintendo development team). We still have Pushmo, Sakura Samurai, Drillon's Rolling Western, and a bunch of smaller titles that aren't made with a AAA budget. Do these not count as well?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
xaszatm said:
Snotnarok said:
Quantum Star said:
Snotnarok said:

...ok, so let's assume that Wonderful 101, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Rhythym Heaven are not Nintendo IPs for a second here. They are, especially Rhythym Heaven (that's an internal Nintendo development team). We still have Pushmo, Sakura Samurai, Drillon's Rolling Western, and a bunch of smaller titles that aren't made with a AAA budget. Do these not count as well?
Rolling Western was developed by Vanpool
Pushmo was developed by Intelligent Systems
Sakura Samurai was developed by Grounding Inc
Rhythym Heaven was co-developed between Nintendo TNX Music Recordings

Look I'm not trying to be an ass here but you're literally defending your point with info you didn't even look up. This is 5 minutes on wikipedia. They didn't develop those games, they didn't make Xenoblade Monolith Soft did, Platinum Studios made Wonderful 101- the same guys behind Bayonetta.

They published them, funded them, they gave them the okay on the project- they did not make these games.

Quantum Star

Jul 17, 2010
Snotnarok said:
Quantum Star said:
Snotnarok said:

Nintendo has no reason to cancel either of them, considering how well they've been received, and considering they both come from reliable developers, (the Fire Emblem team and Nintendo's internal dev studio.)

If Drilldozer was only published, then Pokemon, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, were all only published by Nintendo too, even though they're Nintendo exclusive franchises. Here's some interesting info for you: many of Nintendo's exclusives, like the ones I listed, are actually second party. Nintendo owns a majority share in Gamefreak, HAL Laboratory, and so on, so while they give creative and reasonable financial freedom to the studios under their ownership, they have a say in anything they produce. That's the difference between owning a majority of a studio's financial shares, and signing a publisher/exclusivity deal, like Mass Effect.

So tell me, what's the difference between a game developed at Nintendo's EAD studio, and a studio like HAL which develops games exclusively for Nintendo, on Nintendo's dollar, on Nintendo's watch? They're both Nintendo exclusive games made under nearly the same circumstances, why does it matter so much?

Also, you seem to misunderstand Bayonetta's position. Nintendo funded the sequel after every other publisher Platinum went to turned it down. Nintendo owns the rights to Bayonetta 2, but not the first game.

I didn't ever question whether you were a Nintendo hater or whether you owned anything from them at all, but you were very eager to deny something I never brought up. Just an observation.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Snotnarok said:
xaszatm said:
Snotnarok said:
Quantum Star said:
Snotnarok said:

Look I'm not trying to be an ass here but you're literally defending your point with info you didn't even look up. This is 5 minutes on wikipedia. They didn't develop those games, they didn't make Xenoblade Monolith Soft did, Platinum Studios made Wonderful 101- the same guys behind Bayonetta.

They published them, funded them, they gave them the okay on the project- they did not make these games.
...Intelligent Systems is owned by Nintendo. Monolith Soft is owned by Nintendo. Vanpool, Ground Inc, and Platinum Studios all claimed to have had tremendous input from Nintendo in a multitude of interviews. HOW IN THE BLOODY HELL ARE THESE NOT NINTENDO GAMES!?! Especially Rhythym Heaven as Nintendo is STILL one of the developers! What does new IP mean to you anyways? Is Halo suddenly NOT a Microsoft IP? Is Little Big Planet NOT a Sony IP? There ain't no internal Microsoft or Sony developers so does that mean that the Xbox and Playstaion have no IPs then? And future titles don't count because "they might get cancelled". Well, sorry Destiny and Sunset Overdrive, you didn't count as new IPs until a few days ago even though we have had seen progress on both games till release. What is your arbitrary definition for a "new" IP?

Fine. Given your tremendous arbitrary rules for what counts as a new IP: Tomadachi Life. Does this not count as a new IP as well? Or are you going to go on a jumping point on how this is the only new IP when you pretended that those other games don't count?

Quantum Star

Jul 17, 2010
Snotnarok said:

Guess what? That's how Nintendo is different when it comes to creating exclusive games. They give these second parties creative control so they can create something intrinsically different than how Nintendo 1st party development would. That's why Nintendo's exclusive series have such such great diversity in gameplay, setting, and so on. I'll ask again, why does it matter if one of these studios creates a new franchise under Nintendo's name instead of Nintendo HQ themselves?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
xaszatm said:
Snotnarok said:
xaszatm said:
Snotnarok said:
Quantum Star said:
Snotnarok said:

...Intelligent Systems is owned by Nintendo. Monolith Soft is owned by Nintendo. Vanpool, Ground Inc, and Platinum Studios all claimed to have had tremendous input from Nintendo in a multitude of interviews. HOW IN THE BLOODY HELL ARE THESE NOT NINTENDO GAMES!?! Especially Rhythym Heaven as Nintendo is STILL one of the developers! What does new IP mean to you anyways? Is Halo suddenly NOT a Microsoft IP? Is Little Big Planet NOT a Sony IP? There ain't no internal Microsoft or Sony developers so does that mean that the Xbox and Playstaion have no IPs then? And future titles don't count because "they might get cancelled". Well, sorry Destiny and Sunset Overdrive, you didn't count as new IPs until a few days ago even though we have had seen progress on both games till release. What is your arbitrary definition for a "new" IP?

Fine. Given your tremendous arbitrary rules for what counts as a new IP: Tomadachi Life. Does this not count as a new IP as well? Or are you going to go on a jumping point on how this is the only new IP when you pretended that those other games don't count?
I dunno why you're getting so angry about it, I'm sorry but maybe it's my skewed view as an artist where when I create something for a client, I sign my name on it. Regardless of their logo on it, I made the art.

I dunno why you're bringing up the other companies like MS and Sony. They own studios as well but yes I stand by Naughty Dog makes Uncharted and Bungie made Halo.

I'm not going on a jumping point here, it's simple the is talking about his compensation not making anything other than brown boring games- he makes the same games or overwrites new games ideas with an old one. It's an observation and it's true they do overwrite crap. They also make fine games I'm not sure what's to be angry about here, really.

I don't know what to think about Tomadachi Life, it's made by them sure but it stars Miis soo....look I have no idea what to think about that. I dunno why my thoughts are so angering to half of you, woo some idiot on the internet thinks Nintendo isn't being very original at the moment. I'm just vocalizing my thoughts. Maybe Nintendo has a big role in their publishing, especially with Game Freak and such- I don't know, I don't work there, but I give credit to the dev first.

Quantum Star said:
Snotnarok said:

Guess what? That's how Nintendo is different when it comes to creating exclusive games. They give these second parties creative control so they can create something intrinsically different than how Nintendo 1st party development would. That's why Nintendo's exclusive series have such such great diversity in gameplay, setting, and so on. I'll ask again, why does it matter if one of these studios creates a new franchise under Nintendo's name instead of Nintendo HQ themselves?
...Because they, Nintendo are not the ones making it. They make a bunch of games but the ones everyone are waving in my face are not created by them. The developers are, so I'm not giving creation credit to the people that didn't make it. Why is this such a hard thing to understand? Do people think Sony made Uncharted? No they funded it, Naughty Dog made it.
To repeat the above, I have a skewed view. I'm an artist, if I make something for a client the client may own my art and use it how they wish but my signature and credit are my own. I apply the same logic to the developers vs publishers.

Quantum Star said:
Nintendo has no reason to cancel either of them, considering how well they've been received, and considering they both come from reliable developers, (the Fire Emblem team and Nintendo's internal dev studio.)

If Drilldozer was only published, then Pokemon, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, were all only published by Nintendo too, even though they're Nintendo exclusive franchises. Here's some interesting info for you: many of Nintendo's exclusives, like the ones I listed, are actually second party. Nintendo owns a majority share in Gamefreak, HAL Laboratory, and so on, so while they give creative and reasonable financial freedom to the studios under their ownership, they have a say in anything they produce. That's the difference between owning a majority of a studio's financial shares, and signing a publisher/exclusivity deal, like Mass Effect.

So tell me, what's the difference between a game developed at Nintendo's EAD studio, and a studio like HAL which develops games exclusively for Nintendo, on Nintendo's dollar, on Nintendo's watch? They're both Nintendo exclusive games made under nearly the same circumstances, why does it matter so much?

Also, you seem to misunderstand Bayonetta's position. Nintendo funded the sequel after every other publisher Platinum went to turned it down. Nintendo owns the rights to Bayonetta 2, but not the first game.

I didn't ever question whether you were a Nintendo hater or whether you owned anything from them at all, but you were very eager to deny something I never brought up. Just an observation.
It doesn't matter if they have reason or not to do it, if the game isn't out yet, it's not out yet. When they're out then yes all the credit in the world. I'm not discrediting them here or anything, but the game isn't out yet so how can someone count "games they made" when currently they're "games they're makING"

The difference is ...Nintendo has their own studio, HAL is another studio who makes games as well. I'm not sure what's hard to grasp here. Naughty Dog makes Uncharted, NOT sony.

I'm just saying my stance since anytime I say ANYTHING about nintendo I get people literally ready to punch my face because I disagree or have a different view. These days you have to start with "in my opinion" or otherwise people get all kinds of angry like it's fact.

Look, as said to the other two, I don't give publishers credit for creating, they totally have a part in making the games possible but I give the people behind it credit, the developer. Because they regardless of the IP they're working with they work differently. Metroid Prime was hailed as a great game, made by Retro. Metroid other M was smashed and it was made by Nintendo & Team Ninja. Who gets the blame? ...Well in this case Nintendo as they apparently wrote the game but that's besides the point really.

Could I be wrong and Nintendo has more than just a foot in the devs door? Pfft yeah I don't work there so who the hell knows? It's what I treat all pubs and developers with, same with me doing art for clients. They paid to make the art happen, I made it, I get credit, they own it. *shrug* Think how you'd like on this.

Quantum Star

Jul 17, 2010
Quantum Star said:
Snotnarok said:

...Because they, Nintendo are not the ones making it. They make a bunch of games but the ones everyone are waving in my face are not created by them. The developers are, so I'm not giving creation credit to the people that didn't make it. Why is this such a hard thing to understand? Do people think Sony made Uncharted? No they funded it, Naughty Dog made it.
To repeat the above, I have a skewed view. I'm an artist, if I make something for a client the client may own my art and use it how they wish but my signature and credit are my own. I apply the same logic to the developers vs publishers.

Quantum Star said:

It doesn't matter if they have reason or not to do it, if the game isn't out yet, it's not out yet. When they're out then yes all the credit in the world. I'm not discrediting them here or anything, but the game isn't out yet so how can someone count "games they made" when currently they're "games they're makING"

The difference is ...Nintendo has their own studio, HAL is another studio who makes games as well. I'm not sure what's hard to grasp here. Naughty Dog makes Uncharted, NOT sony.

I'm just saying my stance since anytime I say ANYTHING about nintendo I get people literally ready to punch my face because I disagree or have a different view. These days you have to start with "in my opinion" or otherwise people get all kinds of angry like it's fact.

Look, as said to the other two, I don't give publishers credit for creating, they totally have a part in making the games possible but I give the people behind it credit, the developer. Because they regardless of the IP they're working with they work differently. Metroid Prime was hailed as a great game, made by Retro. Metroid other M was smashed and it was made by Nintendo & Team Ninja. Who gets the blame? ...Well in this case Nintendo as they apparently wrote the game but that's besides the point really.

Could I be wrong and Nintendo has more than just a foot in the devs door? Pfft yeah I don't work there so who the hell knows? It's what I treat all pubs and developers with, same with me doing art for clients. They paid to make the art happen, I made it, I get credit, they own it. *shrug* Think how you'd like on this.[/quote]

Okay, the reason your stance is getting people "literally ready to punch you in the face" (thanks for speaking for me by the way), is because you're creating an accosting opinion that is in many instances, flat out wrong.
-The publisher owns the right to the IP. Kirby is a Nintendo IP, not a HAL IP. Likewise, Uncharted is a Sony IP, not a Naughty Dog IP.
-IPs that haven't come out yet very much "count", since they show up on the company's financial forecasts, unless those official forecasts don't count either, right?
-It's absolutely right to appreciate the team behind the games, anyone who's a fan of Xenoblade for instance knows to thank Monolithsoft, in addition to Nintendo for backing them.
Remember, this argument started because you think Nintendo treats new franchises like toxic waste, when they simply handle their franchises in a different manner. I guess if Nintendo fully absorbed HAL into a 1st party developer, Kirby would suddenly "count" as a Nintendo game, right? Here's the other thing, you're an artist, (which from what I can tell, you mean a painter or an illustrator), video games are a COMMERCIAL art. The environment traditional art and video games are created under are hugely different, but you sound like you're judging video games ownership by traditional art ownership, which is hugely wrong.

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
KazeAizen said:
Toadfish1 said:
Oh look someone came here to just tick other people off. You do realize that the Xbone is technically the one "losing" this console war right now and the Wii U sales are going up right?
Considering that Microsoft are beating Nintendo by nearly 3 million consoles sold, and the WiiU sales are still well below both the Ps4's and the Xbones, no, I don't know these completely wrong things.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Toadfish1 said:
KazeAizen said:
Toadfish1 said:
Considering that Microsoft are beating Nintendo by nearly 3 million consoles sold, and the WiiU sales are still well below both the Ps4's and the Xbones, no, I don't know these completely wrong things.
I'm aware the Wii U sales are below that VCR and Computer but the holiday rush hasn't happened yet. When Mario Kart 8 hit the Wii U sold twice as many consoles in a week than the VCR. Nintendo is going to be the heavy hitter this generation just you wait.

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
KazeAizen said:
Toadfish1 said:
KazeAizen said:
Toadfish1 said:
I'm aware the Wii U sales are below that VCR and Computer but the holiday rush hasn't happened yet. When Mario Kart 8 hit the Wii U sold twice as many consoles in a week than the VCR. Nintendo is going to be the heavy hitter this generation just you wait.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIJ92NbW82M

Yes, it may have no audience whatsoever outside of Nintendo fans, and have already sold to them already, but I'm sure that it will manage to overcome and become a best seller. A feat that has never one happened in the entire history of the game industry. THIS will be the one that turns it all around and be the thing nobody expected.

Oh and, when Mario Kart 8 came out, Sunset Ovwerdrive and the Master Chief Collection weren't out. So at its sales peak, it managed to outsell the Xbox One at its sales nadir.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Toadfish1 said:
KazeAizen said:
Just want to jump in and ask where you two get your numbers on sales?

Out of curiosity I did a quick search and found this -as of 8th November- image showing sales for the consoles this generation. So it's not up to the exact day, but it's close.

Can you show me where you're getting yours, maybe they're more up to date? But as far as I am aware, the Wii U has more units sold than the Xbox One at the moment.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Anyone else getting sick of "news" articles on this site that are basically just a single quote from a well known person taken deliberately out of context to sound inflammatory? Usually aimed at easy targets like Ubisoft, Microsoft, or in this case Nintendo? I think I'm going to start ignoring articles with the word "Says" in the title.

And of course people are going to call Miyamoto hypocritical for saying this when he's been reusing the same IPs for over 20 years, completely overlooking just how much creativity and innovation there is in Nintendo's franchises compared to the games he's talking about. Super Mario Galaxy and Super Paper Mario both have Mario's name in the title, therefore they must be derivative and samey.

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
I do love the idea that Nintendo makes the games that appeal to kids. Yeah, they do in a way - the kids of 1988. But the kids of 2014 don't give two craps about Nintendo. They care about Minecraft (suprise - a Microsoft game on every gaming platform EXCEPT for Nintendos) and Skylanders. Kids don't care about Mario because Mario is old, and on a crappy POS console that doesn't even have Minecraft.

Hell, even if you allow that the parents will make the decisions without listening to their kids at all, are the parents going to go for the console trying to sell itself on a violent fighting game? Or a creative, cute, platformer that is all about being an individual and learning to express yourself. Yeah, forgot about that game, didn't ya?

And of course, backing it up by claiming that despite falling flat on its face, the WiiU will somehow become the same fas that the Wii did. Despite it quite clearly not being wanted by the casuals, and not becoming a hot item in any way.
chozo_hybrid said:
Toadfish1 said:
KazeAizen said:
Just want to jump in and ask where you two get your numbers on sales?

Out of curiosity I did a quick search and found this -as of 8th November- image showing sales for the consoles this generation. So it's not up to the exact day, but it's close.

Can you show me where you're getting yours, maybe they're more up to date? But as far as I am aware, the Wii U has more units sold than the Xbox One at the moment.
Last release from Microsoft said they'd sold over 10 million. Meanwhile, last we heard from Nintendo was that they were at 7 and a bit million. Unless they crossed a milestone and didn't want to tell anyone, that puts them in third place.

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/microsofts-xbox-one-sales-up-on-price-cut-new-content-analyst-blog-cm414776

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Toadfish1 said:
Interesting, but sold to retailers is different to sold to customers. The number sold to consumers is the detail they don't seem to mention.