Shigeru Miyamoto Says His Rivals Are Boring, Samey

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Neronium said:
As for what I don't agree with, it's Miyamoto's constant anti-story in gaming. He really is not a fan of story's in games, despite them being necessary in some (JRPGs for example). I again point to what happened with Paper Mario Sticker Star as that game is definitely a low point in that entire franchise. Good thing Dream Team was good, if only a little bit too easy. (unless you are playing hard mode in which prepare for many game overs)
His attitude with Paper Mario Sticker Star is the entire reason I will not take anything Shigeru Miyamoto says seriously anymore. If he actually thinks story in games is unimportant or even a bad thing regardless of the genre he's talking about I don't know how he managed to become this legendary video game developer with how incredibly out of touch he is with what is probably the most important part of any video game, particularly these days.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
Yo Miyamoto. Tim Schafer has more unique creative output in single summer than you have had in your entire career. If he had the enormous resources you have, I guaran-freakin-tee you he wouldn't have Raz playing tennis against Sonic the Hedgehog.

So nyeh.

EbonBehelit

Oct 19, 2010
immortalfrieza said:
If he actually thinks story in games is unimportant or even a bad thing regardless of the genre he's talking about I don't know how he managed to become this legendary video game developer with how incredibly out of touch he is with what is probably the most important part of any video game, particularly these days.
I think he's talking more about how 'cinematic' games tend to have the player spending way too much time with their controller sitting on the table. Having a story shown rather than experienced interactively is a massive waste of the medium.

On another note, I've never thought of Nintendo's franchises as particularly stale, with the exception of course being New Super Mario Bros: I mean come on, you could put them all next to each other and not be able to tell them apart!

Harry Mason said:
Yo Miyamoto. Tim Schafer has more unique creative output in single summer than you have had in your entire career. If he had the enormous resources you have, I guaran-freakin-tee you he wouldn't have Raz playing tennis against Sonic the Hedgehog.
I dunno, Double Fine tend to burn me more often than not. I'm still bitter about Iron Brigade.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
While I will concede that some franchises are yearly cash cows, Mario is still running left to right to save the same princess. Link is always saving Zelda/Hyrule. Miyamoto can't really call the others for not being creative, when Nintendo make the same amount of 'innovation'. While they do make good games, they are just the same as everyone else.

This is the classic pot and kettle scenario.

It is just like all the replies and quotes I will get people saying I hate Nintendo or calling/proving me wrong.

OManoghue

Dec 12, 2008
I don't play Nintendo games any more for the same reason I don't play Call of Duty, you know what you get after you've played one.

Super Smash U, or whatever and Call of Duty Advanced Warfare are two peas in the same pod. However, Nintendo has the benefit of not releasing sequels annually.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
Shamanic Rhythm said:
I appreciate that it's a bit rich for Miyamoto to be venturing his opinion on companies not innovating, but wow, could you twist his words any harder?

He said "what other companies are doing makes business sense, but it's boring". That does not equate to "their games are boring", it could easily mean "their business approach is boring". Also, he doesn't say "samey" anywhere, he says "the same games appear on every system".

I expect better, Escapist.
Thanks for the feedback, always looking to improve my writing. I will give you that it does not quite equate to "their games are boring" and have thus adjusted the headline. However, I do think that the "samey" quote is fair, as "the same games appear on every system" suggests that games for other systems in general have become "samey".
Not really. It clearly says that the same game appears on every system. Like, CoD appears on the PC, PS3, PS4, 360 and xbone.
And because of that, the game end up being limited because the developer has to use the lowest console as the foundation or else not all systems will have the same games.

I think he's talking about multiplats and not saying all games are the same. Instead of taking risks and taking adventage of a single platform, the developer will take the way that makes sense from a business standpoint and make a game that can run on all major platforms.
A game that is a multiplatform will clearly not use the Wii U gamepad to the maximum for example. Or the "INFINITE POWER OF THE CELL!". The PS3 exclusives ended up being way better than the mutliplat most of the times simply because they focused on that platform. The devs took a risk, released a game on a smaller userbase but delivered more.

Thought, with each platform basically being a shitty PC, there isn't much they can do to make good exclusives anymore, aside from the PC that was a bigger array of possible genres.

Or I could be wrong. But I highly doubt he's trying to take a job at single games. Of anything, he's talking more about the majority of games being samey and not games from the same franchise.

Megamatics

Nov 16, 2014
He's Right, but also being a little hypocritical when you think about games like Pokemon or New Super Mario Bros. I wouldn't say Cinematic games are boring, it's more so Streamlined Mainstream content that is boring; and I don't mean mainstream in the hipster condescending manner but Mainstream in that the approach is more cookie cutter. All of the AAA games coming out as of late seem to hit all on the same streamlined mainstreamed cookie cutter points of consumer interest. From Software has even taken this route with their games which have gotten progressively easier since the first games. Bloodborne to me looks like an attempt to capitalize on flashy graphics over endearing gameplay, the same with Uncharted 4, or even far Cry 4. The often touted issue with this generation is that none of the games feel new, and the answer to that was rather "you guys have just seen everything already", that doesn't make sense to me in a realm driven by technological progress. Games should be able to do more interesting things with better tech behind them, and Nintendo has taken advantage of the more powerful console than the Wii by experimenting with the hardware to draw out more interesting Gameplay.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
Meanwhile Nintendo keeps releasing the same handheld device every 6 months, living off the same 4 or 5 IPs and making Mario #267.
I love the SNES and all the memories that go along with it but come on, pot and kettle much?
Yeah, sorry, I just got done explaining to my housemate that Assassin's Creed Rogue is absolutely a separate game to Black Flag and Irish accents aren't the only new addition.
Dude, in this circumstance the pot is at most a darker shade of grey.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
isn't it in a sense just logical that console manufacturers incubate new ideas and 3rd party then takes them to scale on a cross platform level?

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Harry Mason said:

So nyeh.
Are you honestly saying Tim Schafer is more creative than Miyamoto? You think the guy who made Brutal Legend is more innovative than the guy who invented the jump button?
Jesus, that's not even a case of opinion, that's just flat-out unreasonable. I got nothing against Tim Schafer but seriously, dude, look into what he did for the industry before saying such things, you know not of what you speak.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
BiH-Kira said:
Not really. It clearly says that the same game appears on every system. Like, CoD appears on the PC, PS3, PS4, 360 and xbone.
And because of that, the game end up being limited because the developer has to use the lowest console as the foundation or else not all systems will have the same games.

I think he's talking about multiplats and not saying all games are the same. Instead of taking risks and taking adventage of a single platform, the developer will take the way that makes sense from a business standpoint and make a game that can run on all major platforms.
A game that is a multiplatform will clearly not use the Wii U gamepad to the maximum for example. Or the "INFINITE POWER OF THE CELL!". The PS3 exclusives ended up being way better than the mutliplat most of the times simply because they focused on that platform. The devs took a risk, released a game on a smaller userbase but delivered more.

Thought, with each platform basically being a shitty PC, there isn't much they can do to make good exclusives anymore, aside from the PC that was a bigger array of possible genres.

Or I could be wrong. But I highly doubt he's trying to take a job at single games. Of anything, he's talking more about the majority of games being samey and not games from the same franchise.
Plus, when you get down to it, multiplats have started proving detrimental to the industry. The PS4 and the XB1 are the most BORING consoles ever made. There is NOTHING about them that is revolutionary or inspiring; they were made to placate 3rd parties who would not stop bawling about needing more power. And the result is that we have an industry that is becoming horrendously homogenized. Everything is starting to blur together, companies are relying on fewer and fewer franchises instead of diversifying, and they are only concerned about one demographic instead of trying to get more on board.

And maybe this wouldn't be so bad if companies were competent. Instead, it's quite clear they're only two steps short of being a bunch of monkeys. When stuff like Destiny, Watch Dogs, and AC: Unity are allowed to ship despite having gigantic issues, then things are clearly not going well. A lot of games trying to push the "next-gen" experience have proven to be false starts. They are either glorified tech demos or just plain junk.

And ultimately, that is the funny thing when people try to bring up the multi-plats in regard to Nintendo. I'm not that concerned about them when they've really turned out to be worthless. I don't feel like I'm missing much by not buying a PS4 or XB1. They aren't exciting, their games aren't interesting, and 3rd parties keep screwing up. I don't see why I'm supposed to be rewarding such incompetence and mediocrity.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
VoidWanderer said:
While I will concede that some franchises are yearly cash cows, Mario is still running left to right to save the same princess. Link is always saving Zelda/Hyrule. Miyamoto can't really call the others for not being creative, when Nintendo make the same amount of 'innovation'. While they do make good games, they are just the same as everyone else.

This is the classic pot and kettle scenario.

It is just like all the replies and quotes I will get people saying I hate Nintendo or calling/proving me wrong.
>.> I know you said you expected it but it's kindof an inflammatory statement dude. Just using recentish releases Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, Link explores an enormous ocean and Link gets turned into a wolf in certain shadow-ridden areas.
It's flat-out unfair to compare Nintendo's stabs at innovation with that of other developers (I mean, Assassin's Creed for instance. Save the AC-ACII jump and Black Flag, I haven't felt a big difference in gameplay for years)

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
They're all fucking boring! While I would most likely get a Wii U, it is nothing at all compared to their previous consoles (besides the Wii).

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Elvis Starburst said:
*Insert obvious spew bout Nintendo here* Yeah, sure. Last time I checked, Nintendo at least spread their games out enough that some good, new ideas could be put into play a bit better. How many times do you see a yearly Zelda? A yearly Mario? Yearly anything Nintendo 1st party? Nothing, right? That's the difference. Other companies like Ubisoft are happy to ship out yearly games with absolutely no effort to make them good. AC Unity, anyone? It's thanks to that much that Nintendo's games are solid experiences, not broken and marred by massive slowdown, insane glitches like missing faces on NPC's, and all else.

Nintendo may make many games in their franchises, but isn't that the point? For a franchise to have MANY games? At least Nintendo has the decency to calm their tits and take their time to make sure their 1st party titles are quality, not an abysmal mess that requires day 1 patches and junk like that.

/rant >.>

OT: Like a few above me, I agree with him. For the above mentioned rant wall as my reasons
You mean like bugs in pokemon games that can totaly ruin your save game and had to be patched? (it was pokemon i think)

Dude the time where nintendo was the only one who brought out a bugfree product are over.. they also are now slowly but surely embracing the "patch it later" aproach to gaming.

And while there might be no yearly mario jump and run, that little italian apears every year in another game.

Also they introduce features, and then drop them as fast as they picked them up, they force developers to somehow incorporate their nonsensic gimmicks like motion control into their games even if said game has absolutely no use for it, monsterh unter for example.. its a chore to use the motioncontrols so capcom delivered the game with a classic controller. Same with the Wii Us controller screen. Then theres the aparant lack of machine power behind the Wii U and nintendos divaness when it comes to working with them that makes the whole ordeal completly unpleasant for western developers.

Myamoto is just bitter that no one kept for capcom and sega want to even develope any titles for nintendos flagship console and that it most likely will degenerate to another shovelware machine with some decent games thrown in the mix.

Oh and i guess you must have missed them rereleasing the same old games over and over again like some of the zelda games. Yeah... "innovation" my ass. Innovation isnt throwing in a single random gimmick that only kinda sorta works and then call it a day.

Final Fantasy hasn't been on Nintendo consoles since the SNES... (apart from a few unpopular spin offs on the wii and gamecube).
You should check out the DS and 3DS then... aparantly you have missed the entire line of remakes of the first couple of final fantasies.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Nintendo_DS

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Nintendo_3DS

And yes, a handheld console is still a console.

Also im critisizing his statements, not the games themselves. Myamoto cant claim that other games are boring because its allways the same and then have an entire library of titles that are ALLWAYS the same kept for whatever controller gimmick their console comes with this time latched on.

After all i didnt say that the games themselves are bad, just that the guy should prolly stop throwing around huge boulders while sitting in a glasshouse.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
Look I think Shigeru Miyamoto is a fantastic man and his games are hands-down some of the best in the business.

But really, Nintendo can hardly be praised for innovation when it comes to their new games.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
CaptainMarvelous said:
>.> I know you said you expected it but it's kindof an inflammatory statement dude. Just using recentish releases Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, Link explores an enormous ocean and Link gets turned into a wolf in certain shadow-ridden areas.
It's flat-out unfair to compare Nintendo's stabs at innovation with that of other developers (I mean, Assassin's Creed for instance. Save the AC-ACII jump and Black Flag, I haven't felt a big difference in gameplay for years)
And this is quickly becoming annoying about the Zelda franchise as well; Just having a "thing" for the sake of it. Wind Waker's sailing actually added to the exploration, but what the heck did the wolf form in Twilight Princess add? Nothing, except 'Look, he's a wolf now, because this game is so dark.'

In the end it results in the same old Zelda, except now Link will have a magic wheelbarrow or something. Whatever new game they're making for the Wii-U finally seems to change things up a bit with it being open-world, and pressumably allowing you to tackle dungeons in whatever order you wish, but I wouldn't be surprised if Link had yet another random magic mcguffin tied to him in some way.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
CaptainMarvelous said:
And this is quickly becoming annoying about the Zelda franchise as well; Just having a "thing" for the sake of it. Wind Waker's sailing actually added to the exploration, but what the heck did the wolf form in Twilight Princess add? Nothing, except 'Look, he's a wolf now, because this game is so dark.'

In the end it results in the same old Zelda, except now Link will have a magic wheelbarrow or something. Whatever new game they're making for the Wii-U finally seems to change things up a bit with it being open-world, and pressumably allowing you to tackle dungeons in whatever order you wish, but I wouldn't be surprised if Link had yet another random magic mcguffin tied to him in some way.
Well... Wolf Form did have different gameplay mechanics with the whole biting/wolf senses/Midna's AoE attack deal-y but I do agree, it wasn't exactly necessary. But it is a big distinct feature from Ocarina of Time (which had the aging mechanic) so I figure it works as a "Look, this isn't the exact same game again, this time he's a f*cking Werewolf" point I was shooting for.