Shit! we forgot an election thread for the midterms. Here it is now.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Before anyone else looks I just wanted to make sure you know, what the two of them are eating is not ice cream.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Ok, got a big glass of Artbeg, some waldkorn, and some choice saucisson d'ardenne. I'm ready.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
The one where the gang find out you can attempt to overthrow a elected government and don't pay any electoral price.

Reactions: Thaluikhain

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The one where the gang find out you can attempt to overthrow a elected government and don't pay any electoral price.
I hope not. You're probably right but I hope not.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I hope everyone that had an opinion in this election and the right to vote used their ability to vote.

edit: added clarification; children and foreigners are not allowed to vote for good reasons.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I hope everyone that had an opinion in this election used their ability to vote.
Voted first day early voting was available.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Voted. Straight blue ticket, no, no, yes, no, no, yes on the assorted state constitutional amendments and levies.

For those amendments, that's no on the courts having no authority regarding impeachments, no on some tax changes that would be good for manufacturing businesses and remove property tax from vehicles but almost certainly massively increase real property tax for individuals to make up the shortfall, no on the legislature getting to approve or deny all board of education policy, no on the school levy, yes on allowing churches to incorporate rather than the unique board structure we require and yes on the library levy.

If you wonder why I voted no on the school levy, it used to be that part of school levies went to the library system, and the schools won a court case saying they didn't have to contribute to the library system giving them a massive reduction in costs and all that extra money being used to little effect - since that court case I have refused to vote for a school levy.

Wife had slight difficulty voting because she apparently forgot to update her voter registration to her married name.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Just got back from the polls a little while ago. (Good thing I double-checked where they were; I'd forgotten they'd been moved.) I voted against Republicans at every level, which I expect to do for the rest of my life, until the party is utterly destroyed.

There was one issue on the ballot, about an environmental bond act. After seeing a third of Pakistan flooded this year, and "storms of the century" turning cities into lakes, I voted to approve it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Prediction democracy won't end in the US, and the DNC was being mega hyperbolic. I told republicans, and democrats to vote, and the issue never came up in my talks with them.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
So I only recently found out that not all states send out a packet of information regarding everything being voted on the way California does. In California we get a booklet that's like 30-40 pages long that includes basic information on each candidate for all of the positions and all of the propositions we're voting on, what a 'yes' or 'no' vote means in each case, and the estimated financial impact of each vote.

Other places don't do this?!

How are people expected to know what they've voting on without dedicating a massive chunk of time to research. No wonder so many people just don't vote if they have no convenient method of figuring out what they're even voting for when they're standing in front of a ballot.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
So I only recently found out that not all states send out a packet of information regarding everything being voted on the way California does. In California we get a booklet that's like 30-40 pages long that includes basic information on each candidate for all of the positions and all of the propositions we're voting on, what a 'yes' or 'no' vote means in each case, and the estimated financial impact of each vote.

How are people expected to know what they've voting on without dedicating a massive chunk of time to research. No wonder so many people just don't vote if they have no convenient method of figuring out what they're even voting for when they're standing in front of a ballot.
I had precisely 4 votes to make this morning. One of the four was unopposed. Two of the remaining three absolutely dominated all local (and lots of national) news for the last few months. I had to do 5 minutes of research on one race before I voted.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

In the Michigan, we don't get huge ass booklets in most counties, but most ballots have a synopsis, or a short version of what details are on what we're voting for. Especially for major issues or propositions. Even then, a lot of the information is assumed you already know, or put at least some research into before the mid-terms or big elections.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I had precisely 4 votes to make this morning. One of the four was unopposed. Two of the remaining three absolutely dominated all local (and lots of national) news for the last few months. I had to do 5 minutes of research on one race before I voted.
I basically guessed at the policy outcomes from the election computer while reading the ballot measures.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

In TX we get jack and shit. On the ballot we have ballot measures that will describe what they are in weird legal language but that's all you get for describing anything. You gotta look this stuff up yourself.

Reactions: BrawlMan

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Dang it, my polling place normally sells home baked snacks. None today. But got into line to vote and just in front of the guy in front of me was wife and daughter. He let me cut so I could hang. Nice coincidence. As Babylon Bee put it today, angry voters will vote against career politicians in favor of slightly different career politicians. Tomorrow should be an interesting news cycle.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA

Ish? I got a - mostly self-reported - elevator pitch for the candidates on the ballot in the mail. Basically a brief summation of their history and a short paragraph about issue that they consider a priority if elected. It was using a half-sized newspaper, so it wasn't as brief as you might expect for something in the mail. But still, the thing was probably only...I want to say 8 pages total? Regardless, the contents were largely superficial, only touching on what the candidate thought was the most important factor and otherwise not really going into their policies and goals.

To your point, this has been a complaint of mine for some years now. The system only really works if the population is politically educated and informed, which is decidedly the exception rather than the rule. Even in presidential races - which dominate the news cycle for almost a year - the general populace would be hard pressed to accurately describe the candidates' policies, much less their qualifications. More commonly, they default to how they're characterized by their favored pundits, or simply assume that if they belong to the same party then they must share beliefs and priorities.

Never mind direct voting, wherein the ballots can be deliberately obtuse or otherwise misleading - with or without weasel wording - to try and prejudice voters towards a particular answer. Eg. "Should this law be rejected? Yes or No?" is a very literal case of "vote yes to say no". I shit you not, that's a thing. In fact, here's an example of it from 2014...as part of a 1,000 word ballot measure.

In a very fundamental way, our current approach to the system is somewhere between broken and useless. A voting population needs to be politically aware and capable of making informed decisions, and - right now - the system at best doesn't facilitate either consistently and at worst tries to sabotage both factors.