Shooter Guy and Life In Bullet Time

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
17,776
0
0
Shooter Guy and Life In Bullet Time

This week, Gavin talks Max Payne 3 and first-person shooters.

Read Full Article
 

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
4,190
0
0
New album? Woo! More excuses to throw money at you! And I just got some hours at my job, at last too, just in time.

Shooter Guy was probably one of my favourite songs that you've done, though that is because I am a sucker for comedy. It's clear how focus you put into your lyrics for it and, as you said, it was silly, goofy and lampooned the elements we're seeing a lot in first person shooters these days, which brings nice variety to the serious songs you do.

I also may have bust a rib at the "No-scope" parts. Back when COD4 was out and we were months off walking into the airport of MW2, my friends all got into no-scoping and berated me for not doing it with them. I asked them "Why not use a normal gun? I'm killing you guys so easy!" to which they replied "Because this is how pros do it." I beat them, two against one, at 8-3. Didn't realise pros did that too.

Calumon: You wouldn't know, because you're so bad at games! :p
 

Wieke

Quite Dutch.
Mar 30, 2009
391
0
0
Hey Gavin, will a video of your performance at the expo be put online? So people who can't get to the expo will be able to see you perform as well?

And could anyone explain what "360 no-scope" is?
 

Owlslayer

New member
Nov 26, 2009
1,954
0
0
Both of those songs i really enjoyed. The the Bullet Time song, I especially loved the piano parts. Maybe because they did indeed remind me of Max Payne 1 and 2, both of witch i absolutely loved. And well, when i first heard Shooter Guy, i had such a grin on my face: the song was awesome and hilarious at the same time.

And this was quite the interesting read, as well. So, yeah. Keep up the great work, Gavin.
 

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Apr 6, 2020
51,250
1
3
Country
United Kingdom
Wieke said:
And could anyone explain what "360 no-scope" is?
Mainly seen in CoD, this is where a player, normally aged under 13 or "big" on YT, has a sniper rifle.

They then jump off of something, spin in a full circle before firing without using the scope to aim the shot. This normally ends in two ways, a lucky shot which leads to much rejoicing and claims of "I pull off this shot everyday, it's piss easy." despite it relying a lot on luck, or this hilarious clip. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LnJdeSJ5y8]

It normally ends like the clip.

OT: Love Shooter Guy, reminds me why I shouldn't play MW3 without a buddy. :)
 

Wieke

Quite Dutch.
Mar 30, 2009
391
0
0
Sassafrass said:
Wieke said:
And could anyone explain what "360 no-scope" is?
Mainly seen in CoD, this is where a player, normally aged under 13 or "big" on YT, has a sniper rifle.

They then jump off of something, spin in a full circle before firing without using the scope to aim the shot. This normally ends in two ways, a lucky shot which leads to much rejoicing and claims of "I pull off this shot everyday, it's piss easy." despite it relying a lot on luck, or this hilarious clip. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LnJdeSJ5y8]

It normally ends like the clip.
Ah thanks for explaining. Good thing you provided that clip otherwise I would have had trouble believing it ;).
 

Phlakes

+15 Dagger of Socks
Mar 25, 2010
4,282
0
0
Is "middle class white kids rapping is so ghetto" a jab at gaming raps?

Maybe. Or perhaps I genuinely enjoy middle class white kids rapping about their no-scope headshot ladder stall skills and feel that they are in fact, acutely representative of the multi-cultured working class neighborhoods that first spawned the gangsta-rap genre and its associated ebonics.
I feel like this is a Nobel Prize waiting to happen. If they had one in sociology or whatever.
 

cricket chirps

New member
Apr 15, 2009
467
0
0
I dont mean to make this sounds like a "yay Gavin and i have a similar view on -subjectA-"
But i'm just glad to hear someone other than me say what he said about Assassin's Creed 3. The time period is ok, but the setting just takes away part of what makes the series great. No exotic local and new culture. Just a re-imagining of my history class...."fun."

Not to mention it's extra dissapointing because the series has been such a non-stop positive to me, it's hard to deal with glaring negitives.
 

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
526
0
0
I really liked Shooter Guy and got it from his bandcamp page asap. (It's good that he uses bandcamp, thank you Gavin). I'm surprised Halo fans are complaining that their game wasn't included in the video for a song parodying old and predominantly negative FPS tropes.
 

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
17,776
0
0
Wieke said:
Hey Gavin, will a video of your performance at the expo be put online? So people who can't get to the expo will be able to see you perform as well?
I'm not sure, I imagine someone will film it anyway! Will look into it and see if we can get something organized.
 
Apr 28, 2008
14,634
0
0
Speaking of Halo, remember when all the middle-class white kids rapping used to be there? Kind of glad they migrated to Call of Duty. Made Halo a bit more fun to play online. A bit.
 

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
5,477
0
0
MiracleOfSound said:
...an endless stream of OscarMike-ology...
I believe 'Military Jargon' is the term you're looking for. (I'll save you the lectures on it) ;]

...I love America...
*channels inner redneck* Woo! 'merica! *scarfs apple pies and cheeseburgers with many American flags and explosions in the background*
 

tsukikage

New member
May 26, 2012
5
0
0
Is it the 12th yet?




What about now?



Oh, if it's not too late to ask questions, was that you doing the high-pitched voice? Was that "natural" or did you digitally raise the pitch?
 

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
17,776
0
0
-'For most Miracle of Sound songs I tend to lean towards the more sober, earnest side.'-

Not really. You tend to go for the more 'safe, simple' side of things.

You should only evoke my name (partially) when being super serial like. Ya know?

I have yet to hear a 'Sweet L.A.' caliber song....

Just requesting, eh?

*grumbles about verse chorus verse/computer effects mumbojumbo...

(still a fan tho)
 

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
17,776
0
0
Sober Thal said:
-'For most Miracle of Sound songs I tend to lean towards the more sober, earnest side.'-

Not really. You tend to go for the more 'safe, simple' side of things.

You should only evoke my name (partially) when being super serial like. Ya know?

I have yet to hear a 'Sweet L.A.' caliber song....

Just requesting, eh?

*grumbles about verse chorus verse/computer effects mumbojumbo...

(still a fan tho)
Sweet L.A. is a very simple song. Perhaps if you could give me some examples of music you yourself find progressive, it would be easier to interpret what you mean by being 'safe'?
 

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
17,776
0
0
MiracleOfSound said:
Sober Thal said:
-'For most Miracle of Sound songs I tend to lean towards the more sober, earnest side.'-

Not really. You tend to go for the more 'safe, simple' side of things.

You should only evoke my name (partially) when being super serial like. Ya know?

I have yet to hear a 'Sweet L.A.' caliber song....

Just requesting, eh?

*grumbles about verse chorus verse/computer effects mumbojumbo...

(still a fan tho)
Sweet L.A. is a very simple song. Perhaps if you could give me some examples of music you yourself find progressive, it would be easier to interpret what you mean by being 'safe'?
I don't get it either. Songs about videogames where you literally try a new genre almost every song isn't 'safe' to me.
 

5-0

New member
Apr 6, 2010
549
0
0
As much as I would like to hear you try something a bit more progressive in structure, if people couldn't put up with the vocals not coming in for ONE WHOLE MINUTE on "You Died", I don't think there's much hope.
Totally agree with you about the amazing airport scene in MP3. One of my favourite gaming moments this year.
 

Flames66

New member
Aug 22, 2009
2,311
0
0
cricket chirps said:
I dont mean to make this sounds like a "yay Gavin and i have a similar view on -subjectA-"
But i'm just glad to hear someone other than me say what he said about Assassin's Creed 3. The time period is ok, but the setting just takes away part of what makes the series great. No exotic local and new culture. Just a re-imagining of my history class...."fun."

Not to mention it's extra dissapointing because the series has been such a non-stop positive to me, it's hard to deal with glaring negitives.
It seems pretty exotic to me, but then I am not from 'merica and have comparatively little knowledge of the war in question. I am also quite interested in native Americans and their culture.

MiracleOfSound said:
This week, Gavin talks Max Payne 3 and first-person shooters.
Something I hope you can talk a little about at some point is software to use for making music. I have been trying to find open source software for some time and haven't found anything particularly good.
 

Rack

New member
Jan 18, 2008
1,379
0
0
Shooter Guy was one of my favourite songs for a while and one of the reasons I'm looking forward to Level 2 next week. Despite having a good deal fewer songs than Level 1 I'm happy to be able to pick it up before the end of the year.

I'm also glad to get context on the "white kids rapping" line. I don't play CoD so my exposure is Professor Elemental and MC Pittman and I couldn't see call for any snarkiness there.
 

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
17,776
0
0
Flames66 said:
Something I hope you can talk a little about at some point is software to use for making music. I have been trying to find open source software for some time and haven't found anything particularly good.
I wouldn't really know of any good open source software. Music recording software is extremely complex and varies hugely in quality. I bought all the software I use legit as they tend to be very buggy without updates. Anyway here's the list of what I use

Cubase 6 (main mixing + recording program)

Kontakt 5 - for strings, orchestra sounds etc

Ableton Live - For synths