Should "Cracker" be a racial slur?

Hucket

Apr 29, 2010
I had this debate with two friends (one white, one black) and I guess you can determine which side backed which. On the one hand I can see where my white friend is coming from, it is often used in a pejorative sense, directed at white people. On the other hand, I don't really take it offensively (that might be cause I'm not called it much, looking more Asian than white).

Where do you stand on this? Do you stand on this? Should this be discussed or am i just wasting bytes?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
It has an alternate definition, and declaring it a racial slur would lead to much confusion.

Leave it as it.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
You can't even argue about it because as soon as you ask for an inch in the debate you're called a racist. :mad:

doesn't matter if it's right or not, doesn't matter if an attack on a white person actually IS a hatecrime... No one takes other peoples' racism seriously.

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
I don't take it offensively but it's kind of a double standard to allow us to be called crackers when the second we go on the offensive it's dubbed racism.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Honestly, there's too much ambiguity on the word "cracker" to really be offended by it in any way, shape or form. I mean, I could potentially be called racist against my own ethnicity for saying the word cracker around my white friends, while looking at a cracker.

..That would be an awkward scenario.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
If it used as a racial slur. If its referring to Saltines then no. Words like cracker and other words that are made into racial slurs should be taken as hate speech when they are but remembered to not be inherently bad.

Maphysto

Dec 11, 2010
Meh, given that white people have a good 500 years' history of oppressing everybody that isn't white, I think we can take it on the chin for a little while.

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
Rosetta said:
I think anything used as a racial slur is too stupid to be insulting.
Pretty much this. Ignorant racists are going to be ignorant. It's best to ignore their bleating.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
I call bullshit. We see race everywhere these days, even where it's totally irrelevant. To be offended by the word cracker is absolutely absurd.

swytchblayd

May 28, 2008
'Cracker' just makes me laugh... Especially when Chris Rock says it.

"Really? You're comparing me to a snack wafer now? I'm not sure whether or not to feel insulted or laugh at how stupid it sounds."

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
Maphysto said:
Meh, given that white people have a good 500 years' history of oppressing everybody that isn't white, I think we can take it on the chin for a little while.
Many Africans sold their own people into slavery. Should we all call them niggers? No. Seriously man, shut up.

Senrab

Mar 22, 2008
It IS a racial slur. Granted, I haven't actually heard anyone use that phrase in at least 5-6 years.