Should Death Row Inmates Be Used for Experiments?

zerobudgetgamer

Apr 5, 2011
This has been a thought that's rested at the back of my head for quite a while now, and suddenly came back to bite hard at me today. If you've never seen the series Full Metal Alchemist, there's an episode where they enter a supposedly empty research facility and find that it's not only in full operation, but that they've been using inmates from a next-door corrections facility to perform experiments. As draconian as this may sound, it's nonetheless an interestingly controversial subject to consider.

Most death row inmates, AFAIK, have no chance of parole, and sit in their cells for years waiting for their own personally sterilized lethal injection (ironic). Now, while some of these inmates are possibly innocent, most have probably openly admitted to performing unspeakable acts that they cannot or will not possibly atone for within their lifetimes. What I'm wondering is, could we not use these inmates for various experiments, such as testing cures for diseases or maybe just using them for incredibly dangerous procedures a la Aperture Science? Obviously, all necessary measures would have to be taken to ensure the safety of those involved, and to make sure the inmate can't escape.

IMO, these are people who are just taking up space in prisons across the country/world. If we really intend to kill them, why not make their deaths meaningful/beneficial in some way?

EDIT: OK, for the record, I'm not insisting we go out right now and take some of the people on the back of the line of death row, kicking and screaming, and inject them with a dozen diseases "For Science." Obviously, consents would have to be given, considerations would have to be made, and some laws would have to be changed. My point is they're not going anywhere, and appeals aside some death row inmates are simply sitting because the line is massive and they only go through so many injections a day. Again, they're going to be killed anyway, so why not give their deaths some meaning?

EDIT2: Since so many people seem to immediately shout their opposition of the Death Penalty, allow me to add an extra clause: Should people who have been given a Life Sentence (or more) in prison be allowed to consent to experimentation? For those who don't know, depending on where you live in the world, a Life Sentence can be anywhere from 15-30 years before having a chance at parole, with some places having a max sentence of as little as 25 to as many as 50 years. The Consent would come with a small payment that would go to an outside source, and possible consideration of early parole. And obviously, the experiments don't HAVE to be life-threatening, even for the Death Row inmates.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Ahh that heady scent of escapist brand iconoclasm, guaranteed to cause headache inducing strength facepalms.
This type of things is straight out of Nazi Germany (go look up Josef Mengele for a quick history lesson)- its barbaric, inhuman and in the end makes us little better then the potential subjects.

EDIT= Wow what a tonne of replies, yes Im aware Mengele used innocents- unfortunately being unable to remember the name of Shiro Ishii I was forced to use him as an example, causing some truly hilarious butthurt replies.

And lol at everyone defending this idea- people on death row are still people despite their crimes, wanting to cut on them just makes you a barbarian no other word for it- there is a difference between justice and vengeance which as far as I can see is the only motivation behind this, I find it kinda offensive that people are claiming its "FOR SCIENCE"- kindly dont defame something so noble with your ignorant musings.
Also who in their right mind would ever "opt in" to something like this? Oh and reread the OP- nowhere is "opt in" mentioned, it was hastily edited in later as zerobudgetgamer was forced to quickly try and justify his position.

Oh and I still havent seen a good counterpoint to "its cruel and inhuman".

EDIT2= And now comes the secondary revision with the idea beginning to resemble something less abhorrent , kinda now looks like an initiative that enables researchers to use consenting members of prison population as a subject pool (unless Ive read it wrong)- this is already quite common in psychology, I cant name any off the top of my head but I know for fact that prisoners are secondary only to students when it comes to popular psychology test subjects.
And as far them being used in drug trials then the barbarism still remains- to qualify for a trial you have to be really freaking ill, meaning that their wouldnt be many potential subjects within the pool, and we can't give them the disease being examined as thats a blatant contravention of human rights laws, not too mention limiting the number of diseases that can be studied too pathogen induced ones.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
I guess that it would be incredibly useful if you put a frankly danger to society that's going to die anyway to good use. Waste not, that's what I always say.

However that does sound extremely morbid, but here's the reasoning behind it.

I am not American, I am British, yet I still believe that a death penalty is sometimes the right thing to do. If a mass murderer, serial killer, any sort of violent or dangerous criminals, it should be at least considered.

Someone like that clearly has no respect for human life, and what better way to repay the debt they have to society by helping improve it? It seems ideal. They've destroyed many, many lives in the situation they're in. If they're going to die anyway, then why not help give back to society with new medical information, or maybe even cures for diseases or something. It's better than having to waste thousands of volts of electricity and then having to discard a body in a graveyard somewhere. It just seems like such a waste.

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
There shouldn't be a death row..... no capital punishment.
So no. And it would be more inhumane than it already is.

Zeroandx

Apr 7, 2010
Of course not! Havent you seen the movies? You start doing these experiments on them and the one day one of them gets super powers and goes out to get revenge on everyone.

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
If exceptions could be made to all the rules that would go so strongly against this, rules which I don't know because I'm a lazy 16 year old IMO, then sure.
Of course the candidate would have to be a consenting healthy male. But I'm sure you could find a few of those on death row. (If TV hasn't lied to me)

Off Topic, my captcha was Jailor.

Shadow_Bunnies

Nov 27, 2009
Cruel and Unusual punishment, so unless they voluntarily agree, there's a snowball's chance in Hell of anything like that ever happening, and even then people would argue against it, seeing it as sick.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
zerobudgetgamer said:
IMO, these are people who are just taking up space. If we really intend to kill them, why not make their deaths meaningful/beneficial in some way?
We are just taking up space mate. I mean, what use is to be here in this boards? Or living in general if entropy will erase it all?

On a less depressive subject, sure, but only if they accept the contract, something like giving em 10 days of booze, food and... you know, in exchange of forefitting all their rights towards their body.

MrJKapowey

Oct 31, 2010
Shadow_Bunnies said:
Cruel and Unusual punishment...
I couldn't help thinking of Discworld when I saw this.

------------
'My Lord, I must protest. This is a Cruel and Unusual punishment'

'Unusual maybe, but not cruel. I believe many of my forbears were fond of Cruel punishments if you'd like to try some of those.'
------------
(paraphrased from what I believe is Going Postal)

OT: Why? They are humans yes? They therefore have human rights.

evilthecat said:
Congratulations, you are now on the moral level of this man:

Or this one:

meepop

Aug 18, 2009
The problem with this is, we'd have things like with Batman: Arkham Asylum where the inmates could end up being experimented on and "become more powerful than you could ever imagine", becoming similar to The Hulk. Don't get me wrong, that probably won't happen, but an agreement between the scientists and inmates, and maybe even the guards, could lead to trouble. Many precautions would have to be taken, and we'd need more resources to deal with them. Unless they're vanity experiments, like the ones make-up companies use on animals. This would make PETA and all affiliations happy.

zerobudgetgamer

Apr 5, 2011
Dango said:
Absolutely not. That's just immoral and cruel.
And just plain killing them isn't?

Tanakh said:
zerobudgetgamer said:
IMO, these are people who are just taking up space. If we really intend to kill them, why not make their deaths meaningful/beneficial in some way?
We are just taking up space mate. I mean, what use is to be here in this boards? Or living in general if entropy will erase it all?

On a less depressive subject, sure, but only if they accept the contract, something like giving em 10 days of booze, food and... you know, in exchange of forefitting all their rights towards their body.
Maybe I should have been more specific. They're taking up space in prison. Maybe this doesn't sound much better, but we have inmates entering prisons every day, so much so that several are overcrowded, at least here in America. While my idea may not be the holiest of options, it's not only freeing up space in prisons, but it's also getting rid of people whom society couldn't care less about in the first place.