Should Death Row Inmates Be Used for Experiments?

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
ZEBSER said:
I don't understand the connection with Josef Mengele or anyone like him. He experimented on innocent people, were talking about people on DEATH ROW. People who have no chance at life anyway, because of some heinous crime. Why not? Simply because it is immoral? If there on death row, then what they did was also immoral.
Usually i don't post twice in the same thread, but i need to say this: Following that logic does that mean we should put all the scientists conducting said experiment on death row after the project was over and done with?

conflictofinterests

Apr 6, 2010
Let's take a moment here and assume that some person has been wrongfully convicted of a crime for which said person will receive the death sentence. Already, without your proposal, said person is being removed of the life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness promised to all American citizens, (or whatever values your country of origin guarantees for its citizens), and that is something utterly terrible, and to be stopped at all costs, which is why, until the very day that person is given a lethal injection, the courts go through appeal after appeal trying to clear this person's name.

Now, with your proposal, said person, once convicted, would be at the mercy of experimenting scientists until the day that they either received a lethal injection OR THE DAY THEY WERE EXONERATED OF THAT CRIME.

In any case, whatever reparations governments have to pay to the wrongfully accused would be drastically increased after such experiments were conducted. If there were some guarantee that the inmates were, indeed, guilty of the crimes for which they were sentenced to death, this might be a different argument, but as it is, until the day the Death Row inmate dies, they can be exonerated (and in some cases, even after that day).

In the real world, this proposal is unethical, and if you will not be swayed by the mutable standards of ethics, perhaps the standards of cost efficacy will do what morality cannot (I know for a fact most governments are trying to cut back on spending, not increase it exponentially).

gussy1z

Aug 8, 2008
zerobudgetgamer said:
gussy1z said:
I dont think very good science would be done by this, since im not sure they represent the typical state of the entire population well enough. Although that being said im not sure how diverse the inmates are.
Maybe so, but wouldn't an actual human, regardless of their state, be a better test subject than a human analogue? I mean, I know pigs and rats and monkeys/apes share a lot of similarities with humans, but they're not humans, and what works on them may not necessarily work on us. Just look at Rise of the Planet of the Apes.
Planets of the apes is really not a good reference.

but yeah it would help for testing side effects (lots of this can already be gathered through research on rats etc. Its very rare that something is drastically different humans and rats, the immune systems are pretty similar). More often than not trial drugs are given to people who need them the most just after animal testing.

Ov3rdose

Jul 16, 2009
Your logic is that there going to die anyway and while they wait they take up space ,in a way so do the terminally ill and there is a lesser chance that they get cured miraculously .Do you want to do tests on the terminally ill?

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
Thomas Guy said:
evilthecat said:
Congratulations, you are now on the moral level of this man:

OMG Jackie Chan...seriously who the hell is that.

But OT- No that is awful. Just awful.
I know you've already been answered, but here's a bit more detail.

Shiro Ishii was a Lieutenant General with the Imperial Japanese Army in the second World War. Ishii was the head of "Unit 731", a group that tested potential Biological Weapons to use against the Allies. He performed vivisections--as well as other lethal experiments--on human subjects.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Death Penalty is archaic and serves no purpose in the first place.

Though, if there was a buncha people who were jailed for life, and were willing to contribute to SCIENCE, key word willing, i guess it'd be okay.

Dec 27, 2010
You could give them the option, but the subject seems very reminiscent of a certain Kubrick film. I don't really agree with the death penalty either, but that's a bit off topic.

Ramzal

Jun 24, 2011
This falls under cruel and unusual punishment. Kind of illegal, and from a scientific point of view, it's borderline inhumane. Honestly, saying "It's for science, so we will benefit from it as a whole" does not justify anything and how little people know what that means.

For example: If we did things for the benefit of humanity and for science, we would be having unprotected sex at the age of 14 so that we can reproduce by 15-17 so that our genetics are prime for our offspring.

Machocruz

Aug 6, 2010
No. Violent criminals caught in the act or with the evidence should be executed on the spot by police, military, or whoever was wronged. It's a waste of resources to house them, feed them, THEN execute them with a method more expensive/elaborate than a bullet to the head.

StANDY1338

Sep 25, 2006
I agree with Sane.

The nazis actualy benefited science immensley. Paraphrasing portal "why don't they just marry safe science if they love it that much".

I am against this idea but I see its merits. How we treat hypothermia is due to what the nazis done. How many lives has that saved I don't know but Im guessing quite a few.

sabercrusader

Jul 18, 2009
If they consent then sure, I don't see the problem with it, it's the exact same thing as selling your body to science. If they didn't consent and were forced to do it (like in FMA), then I would have a problem, because THAT is inhumane.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
If they consent, why not? They might achieve something which will add a decent foot not to their lives.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Being against the death penalty I cannot agree to experiment on people going for the death penalty

Sinisterspider

Sep 7, 2008
If you've done something deserving of the death penalty you've forfeited your humanity. Give them the choice, certainly, don't force it on them, but as far as i'm concerned no one on that row is human.