Should Death Row Inmates Be Used for Experiments?

TheAbominableDan

Jun 2, 2009
Just the other day a guy who had been on death row for I think 18 years was released. Because he wasn't guilty.

What if that guy had been subjected to medical experiments for 18 years? Imagine how awful that would be. Even if he was guilty it would have been awful, but for those who are in favour of this. Just think about that.

xXGeckoXx

Jan 29, 2009
Zeetchmen said:
I think they should be used as gladiators personally, would be fun \o/
I feel a little sick...but I agree. Sometimes I feel that we have too many morals about prisoners who are guilty. The only reason I say that we should not have experiments and gladiator fights is that our justice systems are so shit that we have no clue whether or not we are condemning innocent people or not. However I want to see the people from the pol pot administration fight to he death against tigers.

Cenequus

Jan 31, 2011
zerobudgetgamer said:
Cenequus said:
As I said the only right a convict has removed is their freedom, which means they can already volunteer as subjects to medicine testing etc just like a normal citizen. I really don't see what you propose beyond that really.
Well, to be quite honest, I don't really know where one goes to find positions available in medical testing; doesn't exactly sound like something you could just go to CareerBuilder and search for, though I'd be surprised if you really could. What I'm proposing, I guess, is having those options clearly spelled out for them, kinda like a job board in the middle of the grounds or something. For Death Row inmates, they'd be "hand-selected" certain positions that need testers but have somewhat higher risks. Again, it may seem morbid to purposefully put them into these sorts of tests, but if they're going to be killed anyway, better as a guinea pig than with just another vial of poison.
Uhm internet like everybody else?

Also I don't know from which country you are but in Eu+Na pharmaceutical industries are private not public. Sure there are rules ethical andnot on what they are allowed to develop and test but beyond that you can't tell them what to do and to who.

Also yes there are job boards for convicts,inside the prison facility for high risk ones to even 9-5 for low risk ones. Of course they are more limited in general and even absent in many facilities but they are allowed. Thing is a private(company/corporatio etc) has to hire them which as you know they rarelly do even when they are out of prison.

Tufty94

Jul 31, 2011
Despite what the world would have you think, killing is what we humans do best. I have no problem with this as long as it's voluntarily.

drosalion

Nov 10, 2009
I dont really believe in the death penalty, but if one is in place i see no reason not to put the inmates to good use, as OP is suggesting.

Iggy Rufflebar

Mar 26, 2008
if they ARE guilty of their crimes they are scum and deserve nothing but the most painful death possible, sure, why not a little experimentation?

SadakoMoose

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2009
No, never.
No one should ever ask this question.
You might as well just ask if you can fly if you drink maple syrup, for as much credibility as that has.
I see no reason to even debate whether or not we should we should have a death row in the first place.
The answer is no, and I can't see why anyone needs to debate this.
I understand why people might disagree, but I can also understand why people might think the moon is made of cheese.
I'm not going to tell people what to think, but sometimes facts need to be facts and morals need to be solid.

zerobudgetgamer

Apr 5, 2011
Cenequus said:
zerobudgetgamer said:
Well, to be quite honest, I don't really know where one goes to find positions available in medical testing; doesn't exactly sound like something you could just go to CareerBuilder and search for, though I'd be surprised if you really could. What I'm proposing, I guess, is having those options clearly spelled out for them, kinda like a job board in the middle of the grounds or something. For Death Row inmates, they'd be "hand-selected" certain positions that need testers but have somewhat higher risks. Again, it may seem morbid to purposefully put them into these sorts of tests, but if they're going to be killed anyway, better as a guinea pig than with just another vial of poison.

Also I don't know from which country you are but in Eu+Na pharmaceutical industries are private not public. Sure there are rules ethical andnot on what they are allowed to develop and test but beyond that you can't tell them what to do and to who.

Also yes there are job boards for convicts,inside the prison facility for high risk ones to even 9-5 for low risk ones. Of course they are more limited in general and even absent in many facilities but they are allowed. Thing is a private(company/corporatio etc) has to hire them which as you know they rarelly do even when they are out of prison.
U.S., California, and I'm sure someone's going to make a base judgement on me just from that.

Alright, then, I guess what I'm proposing is just having it accessible in all facilities. I'm not even sure anymore. My initial thought process focused only on Death Row Inmates, or simply people who had no chance of re-entering society, so I felt some Life-Term convicts applied to that definition as well. I'm obviously not concerned about people who are only serving a couple of years or who are trying to get out of jail early on good behavior. My concern more lies in the people that we KNOW are guilty, who will NEVER be considered innocent, no matter how many appeals they go through, and/or who will spend so long in jail or on death row because of the slow processes of the legal system that they, themselves, may want some other option, something to bring some meaning into their lives while they sit and rot in jail. Maybe I'm missing a screw somewhere in my logic, but that was where my initial thoughts were going with this.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
If they're going to die anyway I don't see why not. They don't want to play by the rules and break the laws then so be it. Let them help humanity.

BEFORE YOU CRUCIFY ME! I think it would be in everyone's best interest to wait until the inmate has been killed before experimentation begins. There are a lot of things science can do to human cadavers.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18642_the-6-greatest-things-accomplished-by-dead-bodies.html
http://www.cracked.com/article_16858_the-6-coolest-things-you-can-do-with-your-dead-body.html

corneth

Apr 19, 2011
Dude, ever heard of Josef Mengele? The Angel of Death? That's why we can't do tests on prisoners. There is a difference between convenience and logic, and evil, and testing death row prisoners, is crossing it.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
Personally I support testing on them. I don't exactly support the death penalty, but if they are definitely going to die then why not use their bodies for sceince they gave up most of their rights when they did whatever got them put there in the first place.

Cenequus

Jan 31, 2011
zerobudgetgamer said:
Cenequus said:
zerobudgetgamer said:

U.S., California, and I'm sure someone's going to make a base judgement on me just from that.

Alright, then, I guess what I'm proposing is just having it accessible in all facilities. I'm not even sure anymore, talking with you. My initial thought process focused only on Death Row Inmates, or simply people who had no chance of re-entering society, so I felt some Life-Term convicts applied to that definition as well. I'm obviously not concerned about people who are only serving a couple of years or who are trying to get out of jail early on good behavior. My concern more lies in the people that we KNOW are guilty, who will NEVER be considered innocent, no matter how many appeals they go through, and/or who will spend so long in jail or on death row because of the slow processes of the legal system that they, themselves, may want some other option, something to bring some meaning into their lives while they sit and rot in jail. Maybe I'm missing a screw somewhere in my logic, but that was where my initial thoughts were going with this.
Hey it's not to me too judge how wrong death penalty is even as a concept so I won't go there. Even at the slow rate countries like US/China etc have on stopping death penalty eventually they will have to adjust to the rest of the "civilized world".

Anywho since you said you lost you initial thought,it all comes to that person's choice. But as I said when a company tests a medicine or any product they need to have access and control to many aspects of your life during the testing period,to assure the results aren't flawed. I doubt you can have easy access to someone who is in death row, so it's their choice not to even consider having that type of convict in their programs.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
You know why we don't kidnap people to preform experiments on? Because we don't preform experiments on people against their will. Death Row inmates might be sentenced to death but that doesn't give us the right to do with them as we like. The inmates still deserve dignity and respect. That's why the state provides a quick and painless end be lethal injection (which is far more expensive then potentially just shooting them and burying them in a mass grave). They are sentenced to death but still have rights to the last.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
zerobudgetgamer said:
EDIT2: Since so many people seem to immediately shout their opposition of the Death Penalty, allow me to add an extra clause: Should people who have been given a Life Sentence (or more) in prison be allowed to consent to experimentation? For those who don't know, depending on where you live in the world, a Life Sentence can be anywhere from 15-30 years before having a chance at parole, with some places having a max sentence of as little as 25 to as many as 50 years. The Consent would come with a small payment that would go to an outside source, and possible consideration of early parole. And obviously, the experiments don't HAVE to be life-threatening, even for the Death Row inmates.
Sure, why not if they agree?

I don't give a fuck what others say about the death penalty, but in my experience I know damn good and well that there are some sick twisted bastards who don't deserve to live after what they've done, and giving them a life sentence won't weigh even a feather on whatever is leftover of their conscience.
So yeah. I'm for it.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Twilight_guy said:
You know why we don't kidnap people to preform experiments on? Because we don't preform experiments on people against their will. Death Row inmates might be sentenced to death but that doesn't give us the right to do with them as we like. The inmates still deserve dignity and respect. That's why the state provides a quick and painless end be lethal injection (which is far more expensive then potentially just shooting them and burying them in a mass grave). They are sentenced to death but still have rights to the last.
It said they have the option to give consent

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Madara XIII said:
Twilight_guy said:
It said they have the option to give consent
If they're giving consent then this topic is no longer about deathrow inmates its about people volunteering for experiments who happen to be on death row. Anyone can volunteer for experimentation so of course deathrow inmates could too.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
When I rise to power I actually considered creating this option for death-row candidates. As long as I can experiment on them, they get to live. Cave Johnson, we're done here.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
SadakoMoose said:
No, never.
No one should ever ask this question.
You might as well just ask if you can fly if you drink maple syrup, for as much credibility as that has.
I see no reason to even debate whether or not we should we should have a death row in the first place.
The answer is no, and I can't see why anyone needs to debate this.
I understand why people might disagree, but I can also understand why people might think the moon is made of cheese.
I'm not going to tell people what to think, but sometimes facts need to be facts and morals need to be solid.
Not to be an ass, but Morals change over time and honestly its not as immoral as when said convict raped a child or mother, maybe even butchered or killed someone with no remorse.

However such things as this could help the progress of medical research. Secondly they are required to give their consent to be tested on.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that sometimes Morals get in the way of progress and research and if this human is truly guilty and willing to donate whatever life they have for science then I say, "Why the Hell not? You're death will at least mean something now".

Am I a cruel person for this? Possibly, but I like to look at the big picture.