Should Final Fantasy XII get a re-release?

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
Title says it all. Despite being well reviewed in it's time, Final Fantasy XII has, in the following years, become less and less talked about. And with so many other FF games getting re-releases, such as the recent PS3 and PS4 editions of FFX and FFX-2, I wonder if there might also be enough of a market for XII to make a justified comeback as well.

Now, before anyone asks, yes, FFXII is one of my favourites from the series, so there may indeed be a bit of bias on my part here. But regardless, I'd still like to hear what others have to say on the matter.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Looking back at the series. Every game has gotten a re-release at some point, if not a total remake. So it does seem likely that 12 will appear on modern hardware eventually. Actually.....12 is the only game outside of the mmo's to not get a remake or rerelease. HOLY SHIT even the MMO got a remake! Where the hell is my PC or PS4 copy of FF12 Square? Fucking slackers.

Sep 14, 2009
tbh while I didn't mind ff12 for some of its bits, I do think the story needs an overhaul, vaan and penelope can fuck right off and from what I remember, go back to who they had as the original protagonists.

otherwise I enjoyed the open world/combat/sidequests, and the villains were kinda cool as well.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
If they did, I'd (probably) buy it.

Final Fantasy XII is the only one I ended up missing (I had sold my PS2 by then) and I've heard the battle system is good.

I don't know if it would hold up nowadays but I'd be interested.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
I would like it to. I didn't have a PS2, so I didn't get to play it. My friends tell me it's not stellar, but pretty interesting, so I'd like to give it a shot.

Plus, I'm all for anything that distracts Square from pumping out another FF13 or re-re-releasing another mutilated FF classic.

HybridChangeling

Dec 13, 2015
Musou Tensei said:
No, it's garbage.
GAHHHHHBAGGGGGE.

No but in actuality it wasn't that good of a game, and extended a perfectly adequate FF plotline longer then it should be. Which is saying a lot by Final Fantasy's 4 disc philosophy! If any of them needed to be spoken of and released it would be Final Fantasy 8, AKA the "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" of the Final Fantasy series.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
As much as I'd like to have it on a modern system, I could never honestly play it. Once with Vaan was enough, actually too damn much. Sweet fucking Cthulhu I've never hated a character as much as Vaan. Cloud I could deal with, Vanille, Hope and Snow were somewhat annoying but god damn I hate Vaan. Dissidia was absolute catharsis since I could match up against him and wipe the fucking floor with him.
Excuse the moderate cursing, Vaan just really irked me.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
XII's story was underwhelming and poorly paced, which is probably what contributed to it gradually becoming the one nobody talks about, (say what you will about the campiness of the story and dialogue, but at least FFX was memorable. Hell, even the much-maligned FF8 had the "NO ONE WILL EVER SPEAK OF ME IN THE PAST TENSE!" scene, which will forever make me love it.) but I admit, if it was re-released I'd probably play it again. The gameplay was like junk food: not exactly "good", but damned if you can stop once you start.

GeneralChaos

Dec 3, 2010
I really enjoyed 12, and even liked Vaan and Penelo, so yes I would absolutely buy a PS4 remake of FFXII. I realize that this makes me an outlier.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
eh ....

I kinda wanna say no, just for the existence of Vaan, aka 'I have no reason to actually exist in the game at all.'

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
To tell you the truth, I didn't mindlessly hate XII as much as I hate X and XIII. There aren't any characters that I really hate in XII, and the story doesn't seem like it is being acted out by a bunch of people with borderline brain damage.

No, the reason I never finished XII is because the combat system was terrible.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
FFXII is getting a release late this year with the international edition, which has the Zodiac job system and the changed license board.

Honestly, it wasn't a bad game. Better than VIII and obviously XIII, worse than most of the others. Story wasn't great, and Vaan and Penelo didn't need to exist, but the combat system was okay, the other characters like Reddas and Cid were great, and the sidequest system was super fun.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
No, it was a bad game. Probably the worst in the entire mothership franchise.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
CkretAznMan said:
No, it was a bad game. Probably the worst in the entire mothership franchise.
Definitely the worst.

Vaan was an incredibly annoying character whose sole purpose seemed to be so that everything could be slowly and clearly explained to the audience without a bunch of supposedly experienced characters talking about things they should all already know; basically treating the audience like idiots. Other Final Fantasy games somehow managed explanations without going to such infantilising lengths, I have no idea what they were thinking for this one.

The gameplay was the absolute pits, I can't think of a single good thing to say about the combat system; its actually probably in my top five for worst gameplay of any game I've ever played. It was like jamming bamboo under my fingernails.

And it was absolutely horrendously paced and poorly balanced.

The worst part of all? Some day I really want to go back and force myself through it. Because I actually enjoyed what I played of the story, Vaan aside (I've never completed it, I just couldn't force myself through it at the time, too painful to play). So...I guess I could get on board with a re-release for that purpose. :-\

Although I'd love them forever if they'd completely rip the game apart and put in the combat system from Final Fantasy X, by far the best system in the entire series.

Kyle Winston

Jul 22, 2013
I am for this. I really enjoyed 12, though I do understand peoples' issues with Vaan and I found him underwhelming. However, I loved the battle system, loved the story, and I enjoyed quite a few of the characters (playable, villain, and NPC).