Should Final Fantasy XII get a re-release?

TerranV

Feb 19, 2014
I'm of two minds on it.
At first I'm like, "Yeah I'll give it another go."
Then I think, "You didn't like it all that much the first time and you won't like it anymore the second."

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Dalisclock said:
I really tried to get into the game and I felt like it just didn't let me. Instead, it felt like there was a fascinating world that either wasn't talked about much or hidden behind glass(much like the fayth were). When I was starting to get into the story and the characters, I'd be yanked out by the awkward cutscenes and poor dialouge/VA.
I think that has been a major issue with Square's writing from FFX onwards. They do create interesting fantasy worlds, but often the writing in the main story just doesn't explain enough for the player to fully understand what is going on. They rely on the player either going deep into sidequests for a few snippets of new information, finding and reading in game notes on the plot and world, or finding an outside source, such as a wiki or the Ultimania guidebooks.

It took me a while to learn the motive of the final enemy of FFX, because the game only says "he's the one really running the show, he's at this spot, fight him." A wiki (with info from the Japan-only FFX Ultimania) had to explain the very reason why story of the game even took place.

FFXII was slightly better in this department, sometimes opposite even. It mostly threw so much info you almost needed to take notes on the politics of Ivalice. Although, there were still plenty of times when the main story left out details that would have been appreciated. Or, those details were quickly drowned out by less important dialog.

FFXIII? Pfff. Look up all of the important details on a wiki. (The wiki is probably more interactive anyway.)

Hopefully, FFXV breaks this tradition, but I don't have any faith in modern SE.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Hairless Mammoth said:
I think that has been a major issue with Square's writing from FFX onwards. They do create interesting fantasy worlds, but often the writing in the main story just doesn't explain enough for the player to fully understand what is going on. They rely on the player either going deep into sidequests for a few snippets of new information, finding and reading in game notes on the plot and world, or finding an outside source, such as a wiki or the Ultimania guidebooks.
That tendency existed before FFX. In FFVII, you wouldn't really know very much about Jenova-- wouldn't know that it could mimic others, and was mimicking Sephiroth for much of the game-- unless you caught little snippets of conversation. You could miss Vincent, and much of Sephiroth's (and Hojo's) backstory, very easily too. The story of VIII wasn't easy to miss, exactly, but took a fair amount of intuition to figure out.

Hairless Mammoth said:
It took me a while to learn the motive of the final enemy of FFX, because the game only says "he's the one really running the show, he's at this spot, fight him." A wiki (with info from the Japan-only FFX Ultimania) had to explain the very reason why story of the game even took place.
Yu Yevon? A fair point, but a point that could equally be applied to III & IX.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
Dalisclock said:
That's the wierd thing though. I adored FFIX, despite first playing it in 2015(I didn't have a PS until recrently) and totally got the vibe of it. I've actually liked most of the games in the series(and I've played all the previous ones other then VIII). II is the only one I probably didn't really enjoy, just because of how sadistic it is towards the player. Even games like III and V which didn't really have much characterization I got into because I loved the high fantasy feel of the world.

I really tried to get into the game and I felt like it just didn't let me. Instead, it felt like there was a fascinating world that either wasn't talked about much or hidden behind glass(much like the fayth were). When I was starting to get into the story and the characters, I'd be yanked out by the awkward cutscenes and poor dialouge/VA.

I finally started liking it a bit when Tidus learned the truth about Yuna and stopped acting like such an annoying clown all the time but that was only enough to get me to finish the game.

And I have similar feelings about XIII, though even moreso.
Yeah, I guess it's just about whether it actually bites you or not. I never played XIII only XIII-2, and I am utterly gobsmacked at how detatched I feel from combat.

Does anyone know if it gets any better? Combat just feels so automatic and pointless.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Silvanus said:
Hairless Mammoth said:
Yu Yevon? A fair point, but a point that could equally be applied to III & IX.
On one level, I totally agree about IX, how the who Terra/Gaia conflict is kind of hinted at in the background, not to mention there's the ruins on the one continent, which are pretty much the only thing there(and the entire continent is uninhabited) which are somehow linked to Terra but you just have to assume it has something to do with the whole fusion attempt. And of course, Necron, for whom only theories exist why he exists(other then being an homage to the FF tradition of having a otherworldly real final boss thrown it late in the game). However, the world and characters felt vibrant and interesting regardless, and that's where it made the difference to me.

III? III was pretty high fantasy, complete with an ancient god-like creature living in a huge Crystal tower being controlled by/in alliance with the essence of darkness itself because he got a shoddy gift(being able to die). It has enough story to get you to go to the next place, establish some kind of threat and doesn't ask much more then that. Or were you talking about VI?

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Hairless Mammoth said:

FFXIII? Pfff. Look up all of the important details on a wiki. (The wiki is probably more interactive anyway.)

Hopefully, FFXV breaks this tradition, but I don't have any faith in modern SE.
Which goes back to something I mentioned earlier. After finishing X, I went back(as I am wont to do) and checked out TVTROPES about it and what I read on the TVTROPES was a hell of a lot more engaging and interesting then the game I had just completed. Suddenly a lot of this stuff starts making sense and the world seems a lot deeper and real.

The problem being that, I shouldn't have to go somewhere else to get that. I shouldn't have to read a wiki to experience the TRUE depth of the game because the game didn't do a good job of presenting itself. I shouldn't have to read an accompanying novel to figure out the story.

And XIII did the same thing. I was more enthralled by reading about it on TVTROPES then I was actually watching game on LP(nope, I'm not sacificing 60 hours of my life. 10 hours of cut scenes and terrible dialogue was regrettable enough). In fact, it feels like this was more interesting then the actual game itself. And there's something wrong there.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Dalisclock said:
On one level, I totally agree about IX, how the who Terra/Gaia conflict is kind of hinted at in the background, not to mention there's the ruins on the one continent, which are pretty much the only thing there(and the entire continent is uninhabited) which are somehow linked to Terra but you just have to assume it has something to do with the whole fusion attempt. And of course, Necron, for whom only theories exist why he exists(other then being an homage to the FF tradition of having a otherworldly real final boss thrown it late in the game). However, the world and characters felt vibrant and interesting regardless, and that's where it made the difference to me.

III? III was pretty high fantasy, complete with an ancient god-like creature living in a huge Crystal tower being controlled by/in alliance with the essence of darkness itself because he got a shoddy gift(being able to die). It has enough story to get you to go to the next place, establish some kind of threat and doesn't ask much more then that. Or were you talking about VI?
I was talking about III as opposed to VI; only referring to how both III and IX had end bosses coming out of nowhere (or with very little warning), much like Yu Yevon.

To be clear, I have no problem with that. I even kind of enjoy it in an odd way. I was just disagreeing with Hairless Mammoth that this kind of thing only cropped up with X and after.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Silvanus said:
I was talking about III as opposed to VI; only referring to how both III and IX had end bosses coming out of nowhere (or with very little warning), much like Yu Yevon.

To be clear, I have no problem with that. I even kind of enjoy it in an odd way. I was just disagreeing with Hairless Mammoth that these kind of thing only cropped up with X and after.
Fair enough. I think Yu Yevon gets more shit because of his importance to the mystery of Sin and yet the answer to who he was and why Sin exists pretty much just gets thrown in at the end and in a rather perfunctory way. In contrast to other bosses who were tossed in at the end of other games who just appear out of nowhere(I'm looking at you Necron) and don't seem to have any bearing on the game as a whole.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I want it to be re-released in two forms.

1. Whatever shitty monstrosity Square Enix is trying to make now.

2. In it's original format but with significantly updated graphics (not merely an HD release) and at least translation fixes. Not sure how voice acting could be added successfully except if they redid the cut scenes.

TerranV

Feb 19, 2014
Dalisclock said:
However, the world and characters felt vibrant and interesting regardless, and that's where it made the difference to me.
Yes it's called world building. XI might not have been the most unique of fantasy worlds, but at least it felt like a fully realized world rather than a bunch of pretty interconnected "rooms".

TerranV

Feb 19, 2014
Dalisclock said:
Which goes back to something I mentioned earlier. After finishing X, I went back(as I am wont to do) and checked out TVTROPES about it and what I read on the TVTROPES was a hell of a lot more engaging and interesting then the game I had just completed. Suddenly a lot of this stuff starts making sense and the world seems a lot deeper and real.

The problem being that, I shouldn't have to go somewhere else to get that. I shouldn't have to read a wiki to experience the TRUE depth of the game because the game didn't do a good job of presenting itself. I shouldn't have to read an accompanying novel to figure out the story.

And XIII did the same thing. I was more enthralled by reading about it on TVTROPES then I was actually watching game on LP(nope, I'm not sacificing 60 hours of my life. 10 hours of cut scenes and terrible dialogue was regrettable enough). In fact, it feels like this was more interesting then the actual game itself. And there's something wrong there.
I agree. If the story can't be told throughout normal gameplay, then the game failed at effectively telling its story.

Sharia

Nov 30, 2015
Times where I have found a wiki or youtube video more enlightening than the game itself have simply been cases where I've put in minimal effort or interest when I played it

Kudan

May 17, 2010
I hope we get XII again now with the Zodiac Job System edition, love that game.