Should Final Fantasy XII get a re-release?

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
monkeymangler said:
CritialGaming said:
SlumlordThanatos said:
CritialGaming said:
Lightspeaker said:
CkretAznMan said:
No, it was a bad game. Probably the worst in the entire mothership franchise.
Definitely the worst.
*AHEM* I'm just going remind you of FF13.
And I will remind you, good sir, of X-2.

Unless you're not counting the direct sequels. Then I'd just have to point you in X's direction. At least XIII let me see Snow get punched in the face by Lightning; in X, Tidus doesn't even fucking stay dead.
BRO! BRO! You wanna play the sequel game bro?

Okay! I'll take you X-2 and I fucking raise your ass a 13-3 Lightning Returns! Check and MATE BRO!
Dude, Lightning Returns was waves better than XIII or XIII-2 for that matter. Also X-2 has the best combat in series history. Took everything good about ATB and made it better.
Can you send me some of whatever it is you're drinking?

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
CritialGaming said:
monkeymangler said:
CritialGaming said:
SlumlordThanatos said:
CritialGaming said:
Lightspeaker said:
CkretAznMan said:
Definitely the worst.

Unless you're not counting the direct sequels. Then I'd just have to point you in X's direction. At least XIII let me see Snow get punched in the face by Lightning; in X, Tidus doesn't even fucking stay dead.

Okay! I'll take you X-2 and I fucking raise your ass a 13-3 Lightning Returns! Check and MATE BRO!
Dude, Lightning Returns was waves better than XIII or XIII-2 for that matter. Also X-2 has the best combat in series history. Took everything good about ATB and made it better.
Firstly: I like Lightning. Not to level the director did, but she was a good character.

Secondly: the combat was fantastic. I loved taking a monster the size of a train, launching it into the sky with a tornado after making it weak to wind, going Dragoon and jumping up to before riding it down to the ground with a flaming spear. All unscripted. If XIII's combat had been this good, it wouldn't of been such a crap game.

Thirdly: the story was bullshit and chips. Don't care. 80% of what you do in a FF game is fight, and nothing was going to fix the travesty that was XIII's story.

william1657

Scout
Mar 12, 2015
Hmm.

I actually didn't love that one. I couldn't even tell you what the plot was aside from the broadest strokes.

I don't think it needs a remastering like X and X/2 got, but some people that missed it might like to see it as a digital download so they can play it on the PS4 or PSV.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
I think its to soon but then again they re-released FFX which I also felt was to soon so I suppose they can if they wanted. Easily my least favourite FF game after FFII though I just found it weak in almost every regard.

The reason I like it more than FFII though is because II was broken by design more imo and XII had a great end game, actually X, XII and XIII all had great end games. I would not buy it if they re-released it once was more than enough for me and I still have my original copy and PS2 set up anyway. If they did re-release it they should release the zodiac edition.

DemomanHusband

Sep 17, 2014
CritialGaming said:
monkeymangler said:
CritialGaming said:
SlumlordThanatos said:
CritialGaming said:
Lightspeaker said:
CkretAznMan said:
Definitely the worst.

Well, the drink is called 'good gameplay', so I'm sure he'd be happy to share! I mean c'mon, X-2 brought back the job system via Dresspheres, and the international (and now the western rerelease as well) had the fiend training tournaments! I find it hilarious when people say X-2 was one of the worst games in the series just because it looked 'too girly' on the surface or because it involved looking for the 'whiny asshole' Tidus. It's like they forget what character development is.

Lightning Returns was weird, though. It tried to pull an even more complex Job-esque system with one party member and lots of bits and baubles, but that just got... weird. Especially with some of the DLC. XIII-2 is where it's at, because that one had an almost interesting story alongside some rather fun time travel shenanigans!

Too bad Motomu 'Lightning is mai waifu' Toriyama insisted on Lightning have a final go at things. I thought Serah and Noel made a great duo. Caius had some real potential too, especially given the fact that he was a villain that actually had things go his way for once. I mean, his plan actually succeeded! Made for a cliffhanger ending, but I was hoping they'd go all FFVI on you and make the next game be a grand globetrotting journey through further broken bits of time with Serah, Noel, and whoever else they drag along.

Nope. Always Right-ning Returns.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
monkeymangler said:
Foolery said:
Hell to the yes, say what you want, but I thought Final Fantasy XII was a step in the right direction for the series and still feels like one of the most mature FF titles, next to Tactics and the non-FF game: Vagrant Story.

Despite it's shortcomings, the plot was intriguing enough, and the game rewarded you for exploring. I get that Vaan and Penelo suck, but Fran, Balthier, and Basch make up for it. Basch should have been the main character. The voice acting and script, was also quite decent, and not nearly as cringe-worthy as X or XIII.
X had a super solid voice cast all around. Sure, people like to post the laugh scene entirely out of context to hate on the game, but everyone did a decent job, and most did great jobs.
I do like X. Mostly for Auron. I even enjoyed the laughing scene, it's meant to mask the tragedy that is the death of the summoners like Yuna. But I don't think it's a stretch to say that XII had better voice acting, and a more natural sounding script.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Dalisclock said:
Then again, the creators of XIII somehow thinks that people like Lightening, so I guess madness is a requirement to work on a FF game now.
I actually know a couple of people who like Lightning, as a character. And it is, quite frankly, bizarre. They always talk about how noble she is, and how cool, and how shes so driven and goes on such an emotional journey. And all I can do is sit there, slack jawed, wondering if I exist in the same universe as they do.

And the weird thing is that SE seems to know how badly Lightning is written and acted. In FF13: Lightning Returns, right after the introduction level, her and Hope have a 5 minutes discussion about how emotionally dead they both are. Seriously. It's a god damn plot point that the primary characters be completely without emotion or any defining characteristic besides 'hot' and 'cool looking.'

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
DemomanHusband said:
CritialGaming said:
monkeymangler said:
CritialGaming said:
SlumlordThanatos said:
CritialGaming said:
Lightspeaker said:
CkretAznMan said:
Definitely the worst.

Well, the drink is called 'good gameplay', so I'm sure he'd be happy to share! I mean c'mon, X-2 brought back the job system via Dresspheres, and the international (and now the western rerelease as well) had the fiend training tournaments! I find it hilarious when people say X-2 was one of the worst games in the series just because it looked 'too girly' on the surface or because it involved looking for the 'whiny asshole' Tidus. It's like they forget what character development is.

Lightning Returns was weird, though. It tried to pull an even more complex Job-esque system with one party member and lots of bits and baubles, but that just got... weird. Especially with some of the DLC. XIII-2 is where it's at, because that one had an almost interesting story alongside some rather fun time travel shenanigans!

Too bad Motomu 'Lightning is mai waifu' Toriyama insisted on Lightning have a final go at things. I thought Serah and Noel made a great duo. Caius had some real potential too, especially given the fact that he was a villain that actually had things go his way for once. I mean, his plan actually succeeded! Made for a cliffhanger ending, but I was hoping they'd go all FFVI on you and make the next game be a grand globetrotting journey through further broken bits of time with Serah, Noel, and whoever else they drag along.

Nope. Always Right-ning Returns.
By gameplay you mean the battle system. Which I can admit was decent. But, the whole spreading your time correctly amongst the saving people missions, just leaves a terrible taste in my mouth. I play RPG's to grind, to do ALL the sidequests, and XIII-3 actively punishes you for that. Not to mention the story of that whole series was a bit toss.

Now I will freely admit I liked XIII, I played the shit out of that game. But the sequels were garbage. Especially compared to ANY other game in the series. X-2 was awesome.

But hey you like it. God bless man.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Dalisclock said:
Then again, the creators of XIII somehow thinks that people like Lightening, so I guess madness is a requirement to work on a FF game now.
To be fair, I didn't dislike Lightning. After all, she did punch Snow in the face, and I hated him much, much more than anyone else in that game.

That being said, Lightning was a different kind of bad. She was bad because she was boring. However, in XIII, being boring automatically meant being better than the likes of Snow, Vanille, and fucking Hope.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Arean said:
I'd love to see the International Zodiac Job System version get a "Remaster" on the PS4.

As far as I know that version ironed out a lot of the more annoying things about XII, and it never had a European release. I'd definitely get it if it was available.
Yeah, I liked XII enough, but a re-release would be great just to give people outside Japan a chance to play the updated version.

Feb 7, 2016
Ahh, FFXII...it was the first PS2 game I bought brand new, with the money I laboriously saved. I bought the tin collectors edition.
I was so psyched, so excited, I stared at the box the entire ride home.

FF7, FF8, and FFX were my favorite games at the time. I used to have messy, thick book binders full of notes for each of the games containing information on the best strategies, character builds, secrets, etc.

I got FFXII home, popped into my PS2, and was shortly thrown in the combat system. I. Was. Lost.

It wasn't terrible, but I couldn't wrap my head around it. The licence system was even more foreign to me.

Aside from that, I honestly can't remember much about the game. I think I traded it into Gamestop sometime in 2010 or so without realizing it. It didn't leave a lasting impression on me at all for some reason. I do remember it looking incredible on the PS2 though.

That all being said, I would love having it rereleased. Maybe a PC port? Or an remastered version. Or just give me a PS2 classic version with upscaled resolutions.

For some reason I feel like if I gave it a chance now, 10 years later, I might understand it way better and actually really enjoy it.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Arean said:
I'd love to see the International Zodiac Job System version get a "Remaster" on the PS4.

As far as I know that version ironed out a lot of the more annoying things about XII, and it never had a European release. I'd definitely get it if it was available.
ehhhh, while I can get people wanting to play the IZJS version, I much preferred the original - most of the changes didn't quite stand out for me, and some of the jobs are horrendously balanced or completely unnecessary, which can fuck you over if you put someone down the wrong path (job choices are permanent too).

I'd be totally down with a re-release that had access to both versions though. I'm pretty sure the game is old enough that you could jam both of 'em onto one Blu-Ray anyway.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Surprised to see a few people being down on X. X is potentially my favourite one; solid battle system, gorgeous design, mostly good characters (the protagonist notwithstanding, but even his arc isn't bad). Love it to bits.

Anywho, given the raft of other FF remasters and re-releases, I don't see why not. I bought XII today to play via PCSX2 (and yes, I do still own a PS2, so it's all legit).

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I put Final Fantasy 12 in my top 5 of the franchise (though I haven't played 9, FF4 expansion or Lightning Returns yet).

I'd definitely be on board for re-release on PC. My only major gripe with the game was that you had to unlock customized combat options such as doing an action at 20% health. I found myself really loving that automated macros system but having to unlock it throughout the game was arbitrary and restrictive in a way that didn't enhance the experience.

Personal Top 7 FF for the record:
1) FF 6
2) FF 4
3) FF 1
4) FF 12
5) FF 13
6) FF 10
7) FF 7

Kina

Mar 8, 2008
FF12 ended up becoming my favorite FF strangely enough, and I've been craving a HD remake with the Zodiac edition that was only released over in Japan as far as I'm aware. I played through half of it through.. questionable means (the Zodiac edition), and I'd love to have that game once more on my Vita.

Had a blast playing through X and X-2, now I'm jonesing for some XII. Desperately so.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
I loved various aspects about it, hated others and never finished it.

On one hand I really liked the tone of the game, and thought that the story - whilst a bit sluggish and dull in places - was still fresh in certain ways and had weight. The locations and atmosphere were right up my street; the combat I really, really enjoyed; and some of the characters were brilliant.

But the Star Wars similarities were quite cringeworthy; the plot did get a bit "meh"; and most of all the areas were just too big and tiresome. There was often very little reward for exploring, and it would take AGES to get through some areas. The crap nature of the summons put me off too.

There's a really great foundation in FF12, and a game I wanted to love. Sadly the amount of filler & recycled elements from Star Wars just make it fall short.

If they cut out the filler and tweaked the plot slightly it could be worth a re-release and a real classic.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
CritialGaming said:
Lightspeaker said:
CkretAznMan said:
Definitely the worst.
I played FFXIII. I finished FFXIII.

FFXIII is superior in EVERY SINGLE WAY to FFXII. That isn't to say its particularly great, it was generally a very average game all round and the pace was absolutely glacial which put a lot of people off. But XII was an absolute train wreck and was the first clear indication that they'd totally lost the plot on Final Fantasy.

SlumlordThanatos said:
CritialGaming said:
Lightspeaker said:
CkretAznMan said:
Definitely the worst.

I will not see a bad word said about X. For all that Tidus was pretty annoying it had by far the best combat of any Final Fantasy game that has existed. By far.

As for the X-2 conversation. I kinda like X-2 but I've never been a huge fan of the job system. I'd say X-2 probably did it best though.

Best story is still IX though.

someguy1231

Apr 3, 2015
XII is the only Final Fantasy from the PS2 era I haven't played, but I've heard very good things about it. If it got an HD release on Steam, I'd snatch that up right away.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I'd personally love a FF XII HD Remaster as long as it were the Zodiac Job Edition of the game as that fixed many of the major problems that the vanilla version of FF XII had. Breakable damage limit, new weapons, removing that stupid arbitration for the Zodiac Spear, controllable Espers and Guest Party Members, and finally the ability for Guest Party Members to level up.