Should You Have to Get a License to Raise Children?

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
I think a high school exam would be nice. Something like:

Q: Do you get shitfaced more than five times a month?
Q: Do you use illegal drugs at all, for any reason?
Q: Would you name your child "Stupid"?

Saying yes to any of those is punished by a swift amputation of the wedding tackle.

Rachel317

Nov 15, 2009
Thing is, then you get the whole debate over who creates the exam and its marking criteria, what happens if you make one mistake, yadda yadda. No one is a perfect parent, so it'd be a hard thing to implement, but it WOULD make sense.

People would think twice before having kids. But then what happens if a child IS accidental, you have no license, but you're a good parent and intend to look after it? Does the child get taken into care?

Based on the purely hypothetical situation that everything would go perfectly, yes, this is a good idea. But you have a lot of issues, such as people who can't necessarily afford to take a test, but would be excellent parents, or rich people who would pass the test, then pass the kid on to a nanny or whatever.

MassiveGeek said:
Unfortunately, one of those "great on paper, terrible in practice" things.
This, basically.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
Prof.Wood said:
How would to enforce this? couldn't you just hide your child, also how long is this exam as some people just get tired of looking after children and snap due to stress resulting in the death of the child.
you could have it where they check your license when you take your kid to hings like school, nursery or hospital

Blackjack 222

Dec 2, 2009
Agreed. Get rid of parents like mine were. Better quality of parent=better quality child. Though enforcing the accidental pregnancy bit might be a burden.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I would say yes to that. While someone said that most parents raise their children with love and care but about the children in the less part? They are the ones suffering.
However the only way I can see this could work without enforcing it is someone relase a sterile virus into the entire human race (Once you got the license, they give a injection on you and your love one so that you can repoduce a baby). Of this were to happen then the license would be pointless since the main important is the human race to survive.

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
Blatherscythe said:
Oh hell yes!

Seriously, this would solve so many issues. Population control, proper education of values, and prevention of cruelty to children. Too many kids have been born only for them to not have enough resources to support them, and parents who don't know what to do with them. Such a waste.

Admittedly, there will be a lot of flak about the freedom to have one's own children, but as the kids will effectively be slaves under the will of their parent until they're of legal age, I could consider it moot.

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
Yeah, there should be a test for good parental skills.

There shouldn't just be the physical, so to speak.

EDIT: I think this provides a perfect argument.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.257456-Baby-drowns-in-bathtub-Mother-busy-on-Facebook

As well as other stories like that.

JayFreakinROCKS

Dec 9, 2010
Good idea HOWEVER with them taking the kid till the parents pass if they refuse to take the test and find the person raising the kid well it can lead to them stealing them and unfortently social services is pretty full alot of the time.

But it is a smart idea i guess the only way around it is ilegaly imagrating and having kids.

Blatherscythe

Oct 14, 2009
Irridium said:
You need a license to drive.

But that doesn't stop idiots from driving.
Usually you need to pass a test and study for a bit to get that license. Yes there are bad, no actually, fucking horrible drivers out there, but imagine how bad it would be if anyone could get behind the wheel and go nuts?

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
SomethingAmazing said:
faspxina said:
That's a terrible idea. As if the world wasn't unnecessarily bureaucratic enough.
Unnecessarily bureaucratic my ass!

It has gotten a lot less bureaucratic in the last 100 years.

I swear, civilians. Give em' an inch and they'll take a mile.
Here here.

I have to say, I agree with the OP on principle. Everyone does not have the right to be a parent. But you could never enforce something like this.

Sad, cause if a working alternative was suggested I would vote yes in a heartbeat.

SuccessAndBiscuts

Nov 9, 2009
Its a tough one but I am slightly in favour of this idea, as much as it infringes on freedom we have to do something because I do worry about where things are going.

Children often (not always but often) take after their parents and immediate family. Fat parents are more likely to have fat kids who will in turn be more likely to have fat kids.

Children born of teen parents are somewhat likely to become teen parents. I accept this isn't always the case but it seems to me that it is true more often than it is false.

Increasing population leads to extra strain on resources. We are succeeding ourselves to death on this planet so we need to do something or there is going to be a violent natural shift to address the imbalance.

As Nazistic (wooo! made up word) as it seems I think we need to go on a bit of a cull.

If we trim ourselves we can choose to keep those who benefit us, nature will not be discriminate.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
Thyunda said:
What right does the state have to tell people if they can have kids or not? They can choose to withhold benefits and such, but the Government has absolutely no right intervening on personal, family matters. If people want kids, that's their business. We're not in such an economic crisis where a new baby could cripple us, so the test would be arbitrary, pointless, and downright wrong. Not just unethical. Wrong to the point of 'get that probe out of my ass'.
so you're saying these neglectful parents should be aloud to have kids? those kinds of people should be controlled, the child shouldn't have to suffer

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Tasachan said:
archvile93 said:
Dags90 said:
What if the person is illiterate? You don't have to be literate to be a good parent, but it's going to make a test pretty darn hard.
If you can't even read, I highly doubt you make enough money to raise a child.
My husband's supervisor is illiterate. He makes more than my husband does, and we're living on just his wages. It's possible.
Really? That's awsome. Are you sure he's not dyslexic though? You can still read if you are, though it's much harder to learn.