Show About Games Show: The Pilot

Mistermixmaster

Aug 4, 2009
I like it, I like it a lot :p The guy who did John Marston did it really well! The cooking mama jokes we're also fun. I didn't quite get the Gears of War 3 thing though.

Can't wait to see more of it ^_^

vivster said:
and where is the song from the dude hears over his headphones again?
i know this song but i can't put my finger on it
That'd be the radios in Portal

lynx64

Dec 24, 2008
I'm proud of these guys for trying this, I mean, my college has a sketch troupe too.

But seriously, I am so tired of lazy game humor that thinks it can make tired observations and jokes just because it is about games. This show is just another entry in the "airplane food is bad" category of video game jokes.

I am saying this because all of the jokes in this episode are just retreads of the same things that gamer webcomics have been going over for a long time. Yes, it is hard to decide what to delete when you want to download a new piece of DLC, we get it already (on a quick side note, why did that guy only download the most recent, most publicized games? Why not include some older classics? UNO perhaps?). The second sketch wasn't fresh either. Gears of War came out in 2006. That's 5 years ago. And violence in video games has been discussed heavily since long before that. So why did these guys think a sketch about how even violence in gears of war is rote and predictable at this point would be fresh or funny at all? Somebody in this thread said that comedy comes from timing, and yes that is true, but comedy also comes from the unexpected, and I have seen all of these jokes before.

Trials HD guy did make me laugh though, that was excellent.

Also, could people please stop calling this show random? It was advertised as a sketch show about video games and it then showed sketches about video games. There is nothing random about it. If you do not believe me then please look up the word in a dictionary.

TL;DR: Didn't like it, but unlike everybody else I actually explain why instead of just posting that it was stupid and then leaving.

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
T'was alright. Kinda silly, but I think I'll watch next week too. I have a feeling it'll get better. :)

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
To some of the people complaining:
1) It's a pilot. Pilots are usually not as good as the final product.
2) I understand that a lot of the humour requires you to know the source material. If you didn't find this one that funny, it may be becuase it parodied games that you don't know very well.
3) It is faster paced than LRR and completely focused on games. I think it can find a unique fanbase.

I personally found this quite funny but it needs to improve on the execution a little to make it into another Escapist must-see. I liked it enough to watch it again though, since I'd already seen it in the Film Festival.

Moffman

May 21, 2009
Good idea, not great video though. Hopefully it will improve, but if this one won I guess the others weren't great either :p

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I liked the HDD deletion bit, the GOW3 just didn't do it for me. Overall I am looking forward to seeing what they can do next week.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
This makes Lisa Foiles' show look like sexy video game Jesus.

Hang on.. could that have been the point? Is this some kind of conspiracy?

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Heh, that was pretty good. The sketch about clearing space on your hard drive was just awesome, and the Cooking Mama gag was pretty good, too. Look forward to see what else you guys have in store.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
I thought it was kinda middle-ish on the awesome scale.

But then the Trials HD guy showed up. That got me here for the rest of the series.
I thought the whole thing with the harddrive characters was epic.

"Shut UP, Totec!"
"... Okay..."

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
Not very good. But not bad either.
But compared to the stuff that's come out recently....well, your like a freakin goldmine.
Overall, I think I liked it. especially the little green castle crasher who made me think of gir.

Mr. Socky

Apr 22, 2009
Wasn't the funniest thing I've ever seen, but I'm definitely going to be looking for it in the future!