Shower Thoughts MK2

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
It is not necessary, the simple fact that it is a 12 page discussion, as well as that there are well over a dozen religions with different interpretations of the same text and that the discussion has been going on for millennia means you're wrong, the text can be interpreted in many ways, even if you disagree with most of them and have arrived at what you believe to be the truth, that is a simple fact Mr. Houseman, a fact pointed out by a cat on LSD!!!
How do you distinguish between someone who is making his best effort to interpret the book, and someone who just wants to use and twist the book for their own selfish purposes, such as to gain money and power? How do you distinguish between well-educated people making informed interpretations, and amateurs who are simply guessing? Can't any old idiot just claim "The bible says race-mixin' is a sin!"? Is that based on anything? Is that an informed interpretation?

Aren't you just assuming that all these people with their different interpretations are acting in good faith?
If they aren't, doesn't that fail to demonstrate that the book is open to interpretation?

Last edited:

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Every Tuesday is Taco Tuesday, which will be federal holidays. We will provide employment and a path to citizenship for all south-of-the-border illegal immigrants who participate in making tacos for everyone to enjoy.
As a stoned Mexican cat, I approve of this new mandate!

Kae

Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
How do you distinguish between someone who is making his best effort to interpret the book, and someone who just wants to use and twist the book for their own selfish purposes, such as to gain money and power? How do you distinguish between well-educated people making informed interpretations, and amateurs who are simply guessing? Can't any old idiot just claim "The bible says race-mixin' is a sin!"? Is that based on anything? Is that an informed interpretation?

Aren't you just assuming that all these people with their different interpretations are acting in good faith?
Indeed not all of them, but I assure you Mr. Houseman, you're not special you're not the only one making a real effort and when you meet the other ones they will disagree with you on some of your interpretations, but how would I know I'm just a cat *meow*

But seriously it's one of the most studied texts in history, don't be so arrogant as to assume you're the only one doing so earnestly even if it is true that plenty of people specifically twist it's words.

In any case I don't plan on talking in circles on something that is very clearly off-topic for this thread.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Indeed not all of them, but I assure you Mr. Houseman, you're not special you're not the only one making a real effort and when you meet the other ones they will disagree with you on some of your interpretations, but how would I know I'm just a cat *meow*

But seriously it's one of the most studied texts in history, don't be so arrogant as to assume you're the only one doing so earnestly even if it is true that plenty of people specifically twist it's words.

In any case I don't plan on talking in circles on something that is very clearly off-topic for this thread.
If all you can offer me is assurances, then I can also assure you that the book's morals aren't open to interpretation.

Kae

Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
If all you can offer me is assurances, then I can also assure you that the book's morals aren't open to interpretation.
This is my last response to you regarding this topic in this thread, I'm very lazy so it's unlikely that I will bother reading the 12 page one to carry on there, but if I'm feeling argumentative I will.

In any case you're premise is fundamentally flawed, it operates under the assumption that you're the only person throughout history of millions of people that have studied the Scriptures that has done so earnestly, there is no way that you would be able to know that is the case, and for that you have automatically failed to make a compelling argument against moral relativism regarding religion, also this takes for granted the fact that many scholars with credentials far more impressive than yours that can actually read those ancient languages have done so, and even between them there isn't an exact consensus, again the fact that for millennia there hasn't been a consensus reached means you're wrong, the text has many interpretations and as such it does not house a singular objective moral truth, because what truth there is is open to the reader's interpretation and therefore relative.

When has that ever stopped anyone on this forum?
*Sigh* You're right agent Cooper, I guess that it technically doesn't matter but in truth I'm just a lazy cat and can't be arsed to have to carry on this discussion any further, especially since we're just repeating ourselves because we're both stubborn, though he's probably more stubborn since he's willing to go on for longer than I am.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
This is my last response to you regarding this topic in this thread, I'm very lazy so it's unlikely that I will bother reading the 12 page one to carry on there, but if I'm feeling argumentative I will.
You can probably just jump right in and state your argument. You really don't need to read through that other thread. It largely consists of the same thing I said about "good faith", spread over 12 pages interspersed with "uh huh", "nuh uh", "prove it", "no, YOU prove it!", "that's not proof!", etc.

In any case you're premise is fundamentally flawed, it operates under the assumption that you're the only person throughout history of millions of people that have studied the Scriptures that has done so earnestly
I'm not assuming that.
I'm just providing a counter-argument to the "there are so many different religions, therefore the bible is unclear and open to interpretation" argument.
I'm not claiming that every other religion apart from mine was interpreted in bad faith, I'm just demonstrating that your logic does not follow.

It's like you're saying "most of the class failed the test, therefore, the math book is unclear!" It should be obvious that the math book is not necessarily at fault. There are lots of other reasons why a class could fail a test that don't have anything to do with the math book. You can't just jump to conclusions and blame the math book.

also this takes for granted the fact that many scholars with credentials far more impressive than yours that can actually read those ancient languages have done so, and even between them there isn't an exact consensus, again the fact that for millennia there hasn't been a consensus reached means you're wrong
Remember, we're talking about morality here. Show me any two scholars that disagree on a moral subject, like whether or not murder is wrong, or whether or not stealing is wrong, or any other moral subject.

I don't think you can.

I think that there has been a consensus reached among scholars for millennia. I think you're confusing moral issues with any other issue that might separate one church from another.

You know what might help to keep us from talking in circles? Evidence.

Last edited:

Palindromemordnilap

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 12, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
It is not necessary, the simple fact that it is a 12 page discussion, as well as that there are well over a dozen religions with different interpretations of the same text and that the discussion has been going on for millennia means you're wrong, the text can be interpreted in many ways, even if you disagree with most of them and have arrived at what you believe to be the truth, that is a simple fact Mr. Houseman, a fact pointed out by a cat on LSD!!!

You're not special Mr. Houseman you're just one of many people that thinks they have arrived to a definite conclusion, yet the discussion never ends.
Yeah I kept trying to tell him that...

Because I'm right and everybody else is wrong.

Now when do I get elected President?
Depends, how is your Endor/American dual citizenship?

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
If the Storm Troopers and Empire in Star Wars are meant to be analogous to the Nazi's then does that make the Ewoks of the poor, dirty, communist proletariat of the Russia (bear) who pushed back the Nazi menace from the USSR?

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
If the Storm Troopers and Empire in Star Wars are meant to be analogous to the Nazi's then does that make the Ewoks of the poor, dirty, communist proletariat of the Russia (bear) who pushed back the Nazi menace from the USSR?
They're the indigenous peoples who bore the brunt of the ground attack on the Empire, and in reward they will suffer ecological apocalypse as the rubble of an artificial moon destroys their forest and displaces them into the equivalent of a post-industrial wasteland.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
How can anyone push for positive change if morality is relative and ultimately pointless?
I don't get the impression you properly thought that through beyond a surface level emotional reaction, so won't dignify it with the type of overlong, overused rebuttals it requires, mainly because arguing or debating religious platitudes endlessly on forums in painfully cyclical patterns is not only wasted depressive energy better suited for creativity or suicide, but also because I prefer not to try pulling away the little comforts from many of those who may very well need it to cope. Same as drug use, really. As long as there isn't any harm being done upon others over it, knock yourselves out. The original comment was more venting frustration at a long-built culmination of insincerity towards human life and suffering masquerading as virtue.

Kae

Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Hopefully they keep this one for a while.
What I have with this cat is special, it was love at first sight!

But I get what you mean I've had like 6 profile pictures in the last 3 days.

Here's a link to the artist that made it, if you want to check out his other work.

Last edited:

Kae

Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
It is very hypnotic... Obey Hypnocat.... Glory to the Hypnocat...
Yeah, to be honest I only found it because I've been so bored lately that doing acid is starting to sound like a good idea even though I've never done drugs before, like not even pot, so I was looking for psychedelic images.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
Shooting near White House that interrupted Trump briefing is under Secret Service review; no gun found on suspect

This offends me. This offends me so much. I get that he must be taken to safety. I understand that, no matter how I feel about the man.

But if there is danger, as the God Damned Leader Of This Nation, you address people who might be in similar danger.

It wasn't even instinctual. He got the news, he looked at the press, and thinks nothing more of it.

Ten Seconds. That's all it takes. "there has been an incident outside. The Police are dealing with it. You are all safe in here. I'm going to be briefed about it now. I'll have secret service post here for additional safety for all of you. If you'll excuse me"

Just act like a human being for once, damnit...

Reactions: Mister Mumbler