Shower Thoughts MK2

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
Philippines
Isn't weird that the MCU Netflix shows all went from critical darlings and what many considered the best superhero content on TV to just disappearing off the face of the earth? Well except Daredevil I guess.

Meximagician

May 30, 2020
Country
United States
Literal shower thought: How is it I can drive a car no problem after years of rarely driving, yet I have to guess (and am usually wrong about) which way to turn the handle to get colder/hotter water in the shower I've used regularly for over ten years?

Shower-ish thought: Why did English (and most other languages for that matter) only develop comparative forms of adverbs/adjectives that increase the amount? Harder, better, faster, stronger... but if you want to say less hard, less good, less fast, less strong you'll need to use a whole extra word or use the antonyms: softer, worse, slower, weaker. And what would those lesser-than comparative forms look like? Hardless, goodless, fastless, strongless? Hardn't, goodn't, fastn't, strongn't? Hardette, goodette, fastette, strongette?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 7, 2020
Isn't weird that the MCU Netflix shows all went from critical darlings and what many considered the best superhero content on TV to just disappearing off the face of the earth? Well except Daredevil I guess.
I don't remember anyone really loving the other ones to a huge degree. Nobody liked Iron Fist, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage got decent buzz and chatter that I recall, but as the subsequent seasons came out, and then Defenders popped up, and we saw where they went with it, it lost it's shine.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
Philippines
I don't remember anyone really loving the other ones to a huge degree. Nobody liked Iron Fist, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage got decent buzz and chatter that I recall, but as the subsequent seasons came out, and then Defenders popped up, and we saw where they went with it, it lost it's shine.
Well I guess the "love" seemed more significant relative to the other superhero stuff on TV: fucking Inhumans lmao, CW shows, Agents of Shield. Honestly I can't remember much about Defenders and the seasons of the shows after it, but I would characterize all of their shows as having great first seasons all followed by dogshit second seasons.

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 7, 2020
Well I guess the "love" seemed more significant relative to the other superhero stuff on TV: fucking Inhumans lmao, CW shows, Agents of Shield. Honestly I can't remember much about Defenders and the seasons of the shows after it, but I would characterize all of their shows as having great first seasons all followed by dogshit second seasons.
Yeah that's pretty accurate, the "good 1st season, not so good follow up"

Though to be fair, the fact that they got such good criticism versus other comic tv shows, was a bit biased, seeing as how few there were to compete against. I never liked Punisher, because he was meant to be a parody of the jingo-esque 'Murica or I Kill You" mentality of the 80's, but he's become a legit ideal for a disturbing number of people that I know, particularly veterans. So I don't really find him funny, I just see him as a "mass shooter dramatization". Or the fevered coke dream way a mass shooter envisions themselves.

DD 2 went silly in so many little ways, Luke Cage killed off the interesting villain mid-season of season 1. Jessica Jones annoyed me due to her hypocrisy of "I'm to blame for my mind controlled actions, but nobody else should be held to blame" level of self hate that made watching it painful. I...did IF get a season 2? If it did, I didn't watch it that I recall. And Defenders....honestly I don't remember any of it at this point. The whole arc just became about ninjas and goo in the sewers.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Luke Cage got decent buzz and chatter that I recall, but as the subsequent seasons came out, and then Defenders popped up, and we saw where they went with it, it lost it's shine.
Defenders is decent, but it had that ninja, dragon goo, and Elektra subplot people got tired of by that point. I liked it for the character interactions and some of action sequences. Jessica Jones and The Punisher I stopped watching after their first seasons. Jessica Jones it was nothing but pain and misery, and The Punisher I had already gotten tired of before that point. Plus it could not make up its mind on gun control and didn't want to offend either side by not saying anything. Making their whole argument pointless and having almost nothing to do with the main villains. Luke Cage had a decent second season, but has a controversial ending to that season. Which doesn't matter now, since all the Netflix shows have been canceled. Which sucks because I was looking forward to a season 3 of Luke Cage and a season 4 of Daredevil. Iron Fist was just boring. I heard the second season was actually a bit better, but I didn't bother to watch it.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 7, 2020
Defenders is decent, but it had that ninja, dragon goo, and Elektra subplot people got tired of by that point. I liked it for the character interactions and some of action sequences.
Yeah it didn't really dawn on me until I typed that, how much it sounded like I was describing TMNT. We got ninjas in new york, lots of plot involving sewers, and a magical ooze. And yes I know the Foot clan was made as a parody of the Hand, but the fact that the MCU looped back around to TMNT plots just sort of amuses the shit out of me. As to the action scenes, nothing about them really stood out to me. By that point, each of the shows had rehashed the "hallway fight" from DD 1, so it was just meh.

Jessica Jones it was nothing but pain and misery, and a punisher I had already gotten tired of before that point. Plus it could make up its mind on gun control and didn't want to offend either side by not saying anything. Making their whole argument pointless and having almost nothing to do with the main villains. had a decent second season, but I had a controversial ending to that season. Which doesn't matter now since all the Netflix shows have been canceled. Which sucks because I was looking forward to a season 3 of Luke Cage and a season 4 of Daredevil. Iron Fist was just boring. I heard the second season was actually a bit better, but I didn't bother to watch it
Yeah JJ was mostly ok for me. I liked some elements of it, others I could do without. Like I appreciate that they tried to address the trauma/guilt angle of the character, but there were so many places where I was like "ok wait but...." at some really glaring logical flaws. Punisher I just don't like at all. PTSD veteran with a bloodlust, gets it in his head that he's worthy of killing people he deems unworthy in the street, and I'm supposed to think he's a hero? Sorry but...no *looks at the US news for the last fucking month* No, white dude gunning down people in the streets he thinks are bad, are not heroes, their a racist statistic.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
Philippines
It's a little weird that kid's shows like Avatar and Star Wars The Clone Wars were just straight up about... war. War crimes, the effects of war on civilians, propaganda, etc. Not saying that it's a bad thing, but just odd that they got away with it.