Shower Thoughts MK2

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Like, if I could play drums or guitar like that, why would I want my talent drowned out by some asshole screaming "ORGRWARWHURHULUHUGRUHUL!"

Also, if you want really obnoxious, the original version of Subhuman is horrible with the vocalists. They axed him quick, because he got in trouble with a teenager.

Reactions: Kae and Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Well, I can't be much more specific as I haven't explored a lot of it to narrow down what I like. I like ice cream, but if I had to drag my balls through razor wire to find my preferred flavors, I'd be content just not having ice cream. I do like Metallica's "One;" that kick drum work by the drummer is badass; too bad I have to strain to hear beyond the front man hollering over everything.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
I could get into Heavy Metal if they removed the obnoxious vocals.
For a moment I thought you were talking about the movie Heavy Metal, but yeah, gotta agree. I think I dislike the mid 2000's trend of rock bands with kind of bland singers who then devolve into the "whargle-blargel" demons for the chorus (Avenged Sevenfold, System Of A Down, Slipknot, etc) more though.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Way to go Attack on Titan! I did not expect that from this show. I got to give the show and a creator proper respect. Thanks.

I'm confused, what respect is he deserving? It's basically "did god paint you?" scene from Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, and appealing to a bigger mystery.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm confused, what respect is he deserving? It's basically "did god paint you?" scene from Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, and appealing to a bigger mystery.
I wasn't even thinking of that. What I took from that clip was basically everyone's born different and they should be treated with proper respect. They should not be hated for looking different, be it race or gender. Plus, it was just nice to see another anime where a black person that is not drawn as a black face stereotype or presented in a negative evil light. This has recently become less a problem in anime, but it still tends to happen from time to time. Granted, most of those works never leave Japan, but some of them can and will do. Not to mention, unofficial translations and scanlations exist.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I wasn't even thinking of that. What I took from that clip was basically everyone's born different and they should be treated with proper respect. They should not be hated for looking different, be it race or gender. Plus, it was just nice to see another anime were a black person that is not drawn as a black face stereotype or presented in a negative evil light. This has recently become a less problem in anime, but it still tends to happen from time to time. Granted, most of those works never leave Japan, but they some of them can and will do. Not to mention, unofficial translations and scanlations exist.
ah, ok, I was confused, because I recall from season one, a very clear scene where they were doing the whole "god will protect us through the walls! our faith will be a shield!" *cue titan smashing through the wall and crushing them to death* so I was confused about this really cliche "because god" line, and why it was worthy of note.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
ah, ok, I was confused, because I recall from season one, a very clear scene where they were doing the whole "god will protect us through the walls! our faith will be a shield!" *cue titan smashing through the wall and crushing them to death* so I was confused about this really cliche "because god" line, and why it was worthy of note.
Just so everyone's clear, I barely watched the first season. I lost interest, because it felt like just Walking Dead, but with giant monsters. I watched Kill La Kill and Space Dandy over this. I do not regret a single moment of it.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Just so everyone's clear, I barely watch the first season. I lost interest, because it felt like just Walking Dead, but with giant monsters. I watched Kill La Kill and Space Dandy over this. I do not regret a single moment of it.
Yeah I stopped watching it too, I just remember that scene, as it was a very blatant (and awesome) mockery of religion/faith, in visual form. So I was head tilting at your clip where the answer seemed to be "gawhd did it." I would've liked it more if they just hadn't really asked about the skin difference at all, but I guess if they are set up as some germanic/aryan-centric, isolated society, it would be a curiosity for them. I've never been able to tell when anime is trying to be ethnically diverse, as very often they will draw/color people in ways that scream European, and then say "yeah he/she's totally Japanese." And I'm like "....tall, blonde, and it looks naturally blonde, not dye, blue eyes, or red hair....ok I'm not buying the ethnic markers on display show, sorry" :D So AoT didn't seem any different to me.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So I was head tilting at your clip where the answer seemed to be "gawhd did it." I would've liked it more if they just hadn't really asked about the skin difference at all, but I guess if they are set up as some germanic/aryan-centric, isolated society, it would be a curiosity for them. I've never been able to tell when anime is trying to be ethnically diverse, as very often they will draw/color people in ways that scream European, and then say "yeah he/she's totally Japanese." And I'm like "....tall, blonde, and it looks naturally blonde, not dye, blue eyes, or red hair....ok I'm not buying the ethnic markers on display show, sorry" :D So AoT didn't seem any different to me.
I'm glad they pointed out the skin color. Makes things feel a bit more real. The author drew attention to it for a reason. He was trying to drop down some knowledge to the youngins. They're in a European-centric society and it makes sense. The only person that looks Japanese is Mikasa, and she's adopted if I remember correctly. It's why I have a preference for anime that's in either a non Japanese setting, or has people a different walks of life and none of them are drawn like bad stereotypes. It's why I favor shows like Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Gunsmith Cats, Trigun, and Monster. You can easily tell if someone is Japanese or not.

I get sick and tired of the trope you mentioned earlier. Only reason I'm able to tell, is because I'm so used to most of it when it says a character is Japanese, but they don't look like it. Even Street Fighter suffers from this with one of its characters. Karin Kanzuki looks like a mix of Japanese and European, but is 100% Japanese according to Capcom. What makes this matters worse is that in Street Fighter V, she is given more European features, and most of her Asian features are phased out. I really don't know what Capcom was thinking with that one. Ken is a mix of American and Japanese blood; why couldn't they just do the same for her?

Last edited:
Reactions: happyninja42

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
For a moment I thought you were talking about the movie Heavy Metal, but yeah, gotta agree. I think I dislike the mid 2000's trend of rock bands with kind of bland singers who then devolve into the "whargle-blargel" demons for the chorus (Avenged Sevenfold, System Of A Down, Slipknot, etc) more though.
I actually DO like the Heavy Metal movie; not for its cultural relevance and ramifications within the music industry, but simply for its aesthetics. I grew up watching the likes of Liquid Television and MTV's Amp at 2am; I love when a medium engages me from moment to moment from strikingly different angles, and Heavy Metal does that.

But the question is begged: does there exist an instrumental branch of heavy metal, or is someone with throbbing forehead veins slobbering on a microphone a prerequisite to be classified as "metal?"

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yeah I stopped watching it too, I just remember that scene, as it was a very blatant (and awesome) mockery of religion/faith, in visual form. So I was head tilting at your clip where the answer seemed to be "gawhd did it." I would've liked it more if they just hadn't really asked about the skin difference at all, but I guess if they are set up as some germanic/aryan-centric, isolated society, it would be a curiosity for them. I've never been able to tell when anime is trying to be ethnically diverse, as very often they will draw/color people in ways that scream European, and then say "yeah he/she's totally Japanese." And I'm like "....tall, blonde, and it looks naturally blonde, not dye, blue eyes, or red hair....ok I'm not buying the ethnic markers on display show, sorry" :D So AoT didn't seem any different to me.
I made it through season 1 myself, and feel propelled to ask: were there any black titans? Not that I necessarily want to represented as a giant, mindless people killer, but it'd be nice to know I have that option...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
In what world... ?
Street Fighter takes place in the "real world". Our world with various differences obviously. Don't know why you're questioning it like it never came up before. Though you should really be asking that question at Capcom: In what world?

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Street Fighter takes place in the "real world". Our world with various differences obviously. Don't know why you're questioning it like it never came up before. Though you should really be asking that question at Capcom: In what world?
That was the intent of my question.

In what world does one look at a character like Karin and go; Yup, that's a 100% Japanese girl.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I made it through season 1 myself, and feel propelled to ask: were there any black titans? Not that I necessarily want to represented as a giant, mindless people killer, but it'd be nice to know I have that option...
No clue, I stopped....I guess whenever that first run of the anime ended? I vaguely recall season 1 not being fully animated, and they released like, the first half of the show or whatever back when it first came out. That was as far as I got. Lost interest in the hiatus, never bothered picking it back up.
Ah, Trigun. *sighs* I miss that show. I really loved that one so much when I first watched it back in the day. Looking back, I think it's because of his pacifist tendency, and I loved how the show illustrated, very subtly how that would play out. They would talk about some location that he left, and they'd describe all the property damage....but, surprisingly no fatalities. And then you start seeing the lengths he was willing to go to, to not let anyone get harmed. His whole "I'm actually superman, and this doofus walking around is my Clark Kent" , coupled with his strong belief in everyone just getting along, and not killing. I just really loved Vash. I think this scene, is where I realized "Oh, he's pulling a Clark Kent, ok I like this."

Like he realized "oh shit, I dodged that too smooth like, I'm supposed to be an idiot, and they're all slackjawed, time to pratfall my way through the other bullet dodges to make them not think I'm superhuman!"

And then this scene was another that I loved,

Where he does the opposite and is like "Ok well, if I try and Clark Kent my way through this shit, people are gonna die. Time to Superman it up and deal with this." And it's shot so well, the audio cutting out on everything except the spinning motor of the fist, everything else a silent tableau, and him showing them why he is the Humanoid Typhoon.

Sorry for the Trigun tangent, I just started thinking of it and was like "Man I enjoyed that more than AoT, I want to talk about that now. " :D

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
No clue, I stopped....I guess whenever that first run of the anime ended? I vaguely recall season 1 not being fully animated, and they released like, the first half of the show or whatever back when it first came out. That was as far as I got. Lost interest in the hiatus, never bothered picking it back up.

Ah, Trigun. *sighs* I miss that show. I really loved that one so much when I first watched it back in the day. Looking back, I think it's because of his pacifist tendency, and I loved how the show illustrated, very subtly how that would play out. They would talk about some location that he left, and they'd describe all the property damage....but, surprisingly no fatalities. And then you start seeing the lengths he was willing to go to, to not let anyone get harmed. His whole "I'm actually superman, and this doofus walking around is my Clark Kent" , coupled with his strong belief in everyone just getting along, and not killing. I just really loved Vash. I think this scene, is where I realized "Oh, he's pulling a Clark Kent, ok I like this."

Like he realized "oh shit, I dodged that too smooth like, I'm supposed to be an idiot, and they're all slackjawed, time to pratfall my way through the other bullet dodges to make them not think I'm superhuman!"

And then this scene was another that I loved,

Where he does the opposite and is like "Ok well, if I try and Clark Kent my way through this shit, people are gonna die. Time to Superman it up and deal with this." And it's shot so well, the audio cutting out on everything except the spinning motor of the fist, everything else a silent tableau, and him showing them why he is the Humanoid Typhoon.

Sorry for the Trigun tangent, I just started thinking of it and was like "Man I enjoyed that more than AoT, I want to talk about that now. " :D
Just buy the box set on Amazon. You can get it for about $25 to $30. I got my copy in 2014. The series ain't out of print. Funimation picked up the license, since Pioneer went out of business. You and your wife will enjoy it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That was the intent of my question.

In what world does one look at a character like Karin and go; Yup, that's a 100% Japanese girl.
Okay then.

Capcom's response will be between 0 fucks given and because we said so.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
But the question is begged: does there exist an instrumental branch of heavy metal, or is someone with throbbing forehead veins slobbering on a microphone a prerequisite to be classified as "metal?"
I don't think it has a specific genre per se, but I do know of a couple of instrumental metal songs off of the top of my head (Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth) by Metallica and Into The Lungs Of Hell (I think it's the one I'm thinking of...) by Megadeth)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
For those curious this is the term, @happyninja42 and I are talking about.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That is why I love Linkin Park so much. They constantly kept evolving their music and talents in to other genres. @Xprimentyl, I highly reccomend LP, if you are not a fan already. See how much they changed over the past 20 years.