Shower Thoughts MK2

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Star/AMC Theater in my neighborhood finally closed down a few months ago. Honestly, I am not sad nor upset. Not after what it turned in to. By the time the theater went over to new management; too little too late. I prefer the MJR for multiple reasons: better staff, better food, and other movie goers that don't act like loud jack asses. I do miss the old Star Theater. The one that acted as a mini mall of sorts, and had two different arcades at one point. The last time I went to see a show there was around 2015-ish. I only went there because it was early in the morning and did not have to worry about the rift raft showing up.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
How does John Cena, a seemingly very busy actor, have the time to host Wipeout? Frankly I'm surprised Wipeout is even still a thing.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
How does John Cena, a seemingly very busy actor, have the time to host Wipeout? Frankly I'm surprised Wipeout is even still a thing.
I I didn't even know the show was still on the air. I thought it got canceled years ago.

Mel Gibson is in the next John Wick sequel. I already know there's controversy and people complaining now, but we're all y'all when he did that big N word rant to his (ex-?) wife?

I know why, because Hollywood swept it on the rug and had you get distracted by something else and fucking Jodie Foster! John Wick four and five I'm not seeing anyway, because I lost interest at this point. I'm not freaking out where Mel Gibson either, because I really have no reason to care for him. He's one of Hollywood top dogs, they want to keep immune. So they can fuck off too.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Saw a good quote in my game. "Humanity is the difference between making an effort to understand those around oneself, versus viewing them merely as resources to be consumed. Humanity is the difference between trying to understand opinions and values divergent from one's own, versus scoffing and dismissing them as meritless. Humanity is the difference between being fraught with fear when facing others, versus being blithely unconcerned with others altogether."

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I wonder if the 40K Sisters of Battle would secretly all be really into hardcore bara.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
My new band name is "JudoKudos".

We're going to be Alternative Hardcore Goa Trance/Folk Rock fusion.

I'm headlining with the Electronic Xylophone.

I think I'm on to something here!
I'd listen out of morbid curiosity alone, and I wouldn't expect to enjoy it. Pretty sure you've concocted the aural equivalent of a *bar mat shot: I won't ever do one, but I'll watch anyone else do one because what the hell.

(*For the professed non-drinkers in here, a "bar mat shot" is all the spilt liquor that has collected in the rubber mats on the bar over the course of the night poured into a shot glass, so beer, booze, wine, salt and sugar all co-mingled in the cocktail equivalent of the foul liquid pooled at the bottom of a dumpster. These are typically done when the shot taker is likely alcohol poisoned and all sense and reason are off the table. They're cheap (often free, ) but the regret is most certainly ALWAYS free.)

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Aural and oral are pronounced almost exactly the same, and have a very similar context. How are you even supposed to verbally use aural in a sentence and be understood?

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Aural and oral are pronounced almost exactly the same, and have a very similar context. How are you even supposed to verbally use aural in a sentence and be understood?
Probably by emphasizing the 'ow' sound at the beginning of aural. Though I love the irony of the word for hearing to be difficult to distinguish from another spoken word.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Funny, "Aural" was the word I used to tag when I went through my brief stint doing graffiti. Nothing illegal, mostly in my buddies' basements where we'd tag a wall, take a picture, then paint over it to tag again.

OT, while your conundrum is a very real one, I've found that "aural" isn't a word that comes up in modern parlance nearly as frequently as "oral," so the dilemma isn't a significant one. In fact, I'd wager many people don't even know that the word "aural" exists as the common words like "hearing" or "listening" are serviceable stand-ins. "Aural" is probably mostly relegated to the medical community.

Probably by emphasizing the 'ow' sound at the beginning of aural. Though I love the irony of the word for hearing to be difficult to distinguish from another spoken word.
^This, emphasizing the "ow" sound, and it's extremely awkward. You find yourself almost swallowing your tongue trying to ensure you've been heard properly.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Funny, "Aural" was the word I used to tag when I went through my brief stint doing graffiti. Nothing illegal, mostly in my buddies' basements where we'd tag a wall, take a picture, then paint over it to tag again.

OT, while your conundrum is a very real one, I've found that "aural" isn't a word that comes up in modern parlance nearly as frequently as "oral," so the dilemma isn't a significant one. In fact, I'd wager many people don't even know that the word "aural" exists as the common words like "hearing" or "listening" are serviceable stand-ins. "Aural" is probably mostly relegated to the medical community.
That just makes it worse, because if you try to use the word most people will probably just assume you are just pronouncing oral strangely anyway. And there are a lot of situations where using 'aural' is good and completely wholesome, but replacing the word with 'oral' gives the sentence a whole different, less family friendly, context.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
That just makes it worse, because if you try to use the word most people will probably just assume you are just pronouncing oral strangely anyway. And there are a lot of situations where using 'aural' is good and completely wholesome, but replacing the word with 'oral' gives the sentence a whole different, less family friendly, context.
Well, like I said, how often does the word "aural" come up in casual, nonclinical conversation? I've maybe said it twice in my whole life for completely pretentious purposes. If you find yourself using "oral" OR "aural" often enough on a day-to-day basis that the potential for confusion is a problem, I'm curious what you're doing. Not enough to ask, but curious nonetheless.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I wonder how much the smaller folk are fucked over by clothing being sold at the same prices for all sizes.
Smaller people are probably [generally] healthier while the XXXL-ers are paying for cholesterol and blood pressure medications, so it all comes out in the wash.

But seriously, the markup from material cost to retail price is typically high enough that ALL size types are being fucked over.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Isn't the portrayal of sci-fi casts being mostly white inherently white supremacist?

I mean if we think about it white people aren't even the most common type of people in the world, so why would they be in space?

I'm not saying this is the intention by the authors as they are most likely writing what they know and most popular media comes majority white regions, but it does communicate that to me, like it's majority white because it's white people that would figure out space travel, specifically the USA.

IDK, I could be wrong as I literally just woke up and for whatever reason this is what came to mind.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Isn't the portrayal of sci-fi casts being mostly white inherently white supremacist?

I mean if we think about it white people aren't even the most common type of people in the world, so why would they be in space?

I'm not saying this is the intention by the authors as they are most likely writing what they know and most popular media comes majority white regions, but it does communicate that to me, like it's majority white because it's white people that would figure out space travel, specifically the USA.

IDK, I could be wrong as I literally just woke up and for whatever reason this is what came to mind.
I guess you could kind of argue that a spacefaring civilization thousands of years in the future would evolve to be mostly white, since I'd assume they'd live in a constant state of being protected against UV. But that's just the skin color bit, no idea how you would explain all the other physical features.

Realistically though, I'd say it's because only white science-fiction authors back in the day had any chance of becoming popular. I don't fault them for making all their characters white as well, if I were a writer I'd have difficulty not writing my characters as Filipino. As for the IPs that started as movies/TV, well, yeah I'd say Hollywood isn't exactly a beacon of equality.