Shower Thoughts MK2

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Alas, my childhood did not have gift cards, at least not to the extent that they exist today.
Yeah I didn't get them very often, but when I did, that relative was the best relative that holiday/birthday. There was no cooler feeling than walking into a bookstore with a license to get whatever I wanted within the budget provided.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I've been thinking about how so many people straight up ignore all the questionable shit in anime and manga.

Recently I've seen a lot of friends share things about Jiraiya from Naruto on social media, about he was such a good father figure to Naruto and how much they all miss him.

But Jiraiya is a fucking sexual predator. His entire character for so long was just a guy who peeps on women taking baths. He's even sexually attracted to Naruto's Sexy Jutsu form, despite knowing full well it's really an underage boy. Hell, even in Ghibli films shit gets weird. That scene in Castle in the Sky where all the pirates volunteer for kitchen duty to creep on Sheeta is played for comedy even though it's super fucked up.

I don't really have a problem with it, but it's just... weird. These friends of mine have very strong opinions on sexual violence, and yet they all just ignore these thing. Hell, so do I. Do we all just go, "Hey, when in Japan"?

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I've been thinking about how so many people straight up ignore all the questionable shit in anime and manga.

Recently I've seen a lot of friends share things about Jiraiya from Naruto on social media, about he was such a good father figure to Naruto and how much they all miss him.

But Jiraiya is a fucking sexual predator. His entire character for so long was just a guy who peeps on women taking baths. He's even sexually attracted to Naruto's Sexy Jutsu form, despite knowing full well it's really an underage boy. Hell, even in Ghibli films shit gets weird. That scene in Castle in the Sky where all the pirates volunteer for kitchen duty to creep on Sheeta is played for comedy even though it's super fucked up.

I don't really have a problem with it, but it's just... weird. These friends of mine have very strong opinions on sexual violence, and yet they all just ignore these thing. Hell, so do I. Do we all just go, "Hey, when in Japan"?

Yeah, that's one of my major problems with Naruto. The characters we are supposed to like, find endearing, or sympathetic, usually have almost none of the features or barely anything at all.

As for your friends, it's a clear case of them not wanting to criticize things they like. Which is a lot of problem for Western otaku or anime fans. They feel Japan should get a free pass, because if it's somebody that's non-Japanese criticizing, they try to play it off as if the person is racist or doesn't "understand" the culture. When it's usually not the case. Your friends clearly have a case of double standards and hypocrisy. If you give me the chance to talk to them, I'll set them straight.

Last edited:

Aegix Drakan

♪ Megalovania is a genre ♪
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Canada
Country
Canada

Oh thank god I'm not the only one.

Yeah those things irritate me too, from the Castle in the Sky kitchen shenanigans you mentioned, to Log Horizon pulling the "clearly underage girl has crush on the main character after he saved her" trope (repeated with two OTHER side characters as well). Like, the Ultra-Moe-smol ninja waifu was already borderline icky even knowing she's actually an adult and her player avatar is just small.

I legit don't get why this stuff is so prevalent in anime, and I cringe whenever stuff like that comes up. (Not to mention, some of that shenaniganery is what made me drop Xenoblade 2. The Maid Waifubot factory segment was just...ugh).

But that stuff is weirdly super-entrenched in anything anime, so unless we have the opportunity to make one, there's really not much we can do about it. -_-

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Oh thank god I'm not the only one.

Yeah those things irritate me too, from the Castle in the Sky kitchen shenanigans you mentioned, to Log Horizon pulling the "clearly underage girl has crush on the main character after he saved her" trope (repeated with two OTHER side characters as well). Like, the Ultra-Moe-smol ninja waifu was already borderline icky even knowing she's actually an adult and her player avatar is just small.

I legit don't get why this stuff is so prevalent in anime, and I cringe whenever stuff like that comes up. (Not to mention, some of that shenaniganery is what made me drop Xenoblade 2. The Maid Waifubot factory segment was just...ugh).

But that stuff is weirdly super-entrenched in anything anime, so unless we have the opportunity to make one, there's really not much we can do about it. -_-
Fetish bait sells merchandise, which in Japan is the main way anime studios make money cuz they're screwed out of any profit from broadcasting.

Oops, I meant "it's cultural, you ethnophobic swine."

Aegix Drakan

♪ Megalovania is a genre ♪
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Canada
Country
Canada
Fetish bait sells merchandise, which in Japan is the main way anime studios make money cuz they're screwed out of any profit from broadcasting.
.......Yeah, I was afraid it was something like that. XD

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
... God DAMNIT, Guys... I was just coming in to talk about how "Live, Die, Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow" bugged me because of my most hated trope ('Stupidity drives the plot along') and you had to bring me back into this head space.
You don't have to stop because of us. You got anything else, feel free. If not, here's something funny to keep you busy.

Reactions: ObsidianJones

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
You don't have to stop because of us. You got anything else, feel free. If not, here's something funny to keep you busy.

... Dude... Why?

Actually fun fact. Although I was raised with Voltron and Transformers like the rest of you, Dominion Tank Police was my first official anime. I still remember seeing it for the first time when I was 11 wondering what the hell kind of animation is this and where do I get more?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
... Dude... Why?
Why not? :sneaky:

Actually fun fact. Although I was raised with Voltron and Transformers like the rest of you, Dominion Tank Police was my first official anime. I still remember seeing it for the first time when I was 11 wondering what the hell kind of animation is this and where do I get more?
Even though Dragonball (not Z, the original series) was my first anime series, Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland was first anime film. The former I saw at the age of 6, and the latter my mom rented for me a couple of times when I was 4 and 5.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Do you ever wonder how much of what you perceive is reality?
For example there I feel like I'm a very flamboyant and over-the-top individual especially when I talk but according to my friends overall very monotone and reserved, like for example when I'm acting out an NPC in a tabletop game they will ask for clarity on the tone since apparently my emoting that I felt was very on point and very exaggerated just doesn't come across, so I know that in cases like these what I think I'm doing isn't actually what's actually happening, and I'm only able to notice it because people have pointed it out, so there must be tons of things that I interpret very differently from what they actually are or how other people perceive it and I just don't know.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

I don’t think they ignore so much as just accept that it’s gonna be part of the set dressing more often than not if you’re getting into the medium. And while it’s not an excuse, sometimes it really is just a Japanese thing.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Having spent loads on treating my kittie cat with various ignored goods, the latest happened to be a very comfy cool looking bed made just for felines with a cosy pillow hood over the top. "She'll love this!" was the knowing lie I justified the purchase with, as per usual. Well...upon bringing it back, it currently sits totally blanked, sandbagged in the corner for days now while the cat sleeps nonchalantly every night on a frigging A4 pad of paper on my bed instead!

And yet, deep down, I know I will still buy more of this useless tat in the letponic chance one may finally click. Maybe the problem lies within.