Shower Thoughts MK2

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
They don’t respond to their names
Yes the do :p My cat's respond to their names all the time. Not every cat does, but some do.

they can fuck right off with the 4:00am meowing sessions. Ours (well “hers,” I’m not claiming that bastard) waits until the middle of the night, places herself equidistant between our room and my gf’s son’s, and meows for no reason until someone wakes up, at which point she stops, climbs on the couch… and goes to fucking sleep. Pure evil, this one.
Yeah....that is a common trait. Mine does it at about 4:30, and sits on the window sill right next to my head while he sings the song of his people.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yes the do :p My cat's respond to their names all the time. Not every cat does, but some do.
I call shenanigans. I've cussed "Ellie" out dozens of times in 4 years, and she has never so much as acknowledged I was speaking

Yeah....that is a common trait. Mine does it at about 4:30, and sits on the window sill right next to my head while he sings the song of his people.
Yeah, what's the damn deal??? Its gotta be the most every dick move in the animal kingdom!!! Get a dog; at least when they make early morning noise they're trying save your life, not RUIN it!

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
The following are the rabid comments of an avid dog lover. Feel free to disagree; you’re not wrong:

I’ll be deep in the cold ground before I lower myself to “earn the affection” of a cat. Cats are the worst. I was pretty ambiguous towards them until I moved in with my gf 4 years ago; she has one, now I hate them. Pretty sure they’re the reincarnation of someone who hated you in a past life. They don’t respond to their names, they can’t be trained to do fun tricks, they shit indoors and stink up the place and then watch with disdain while you clean it up, and my God, they can fuck right off with the 4:00am meowing sessions. Ours (well “hers,” I’m not claiming that bastard) waits until the middle of the night, places herself equidistant between our room and my gf’s son’s, and meows for no reason until someone wakes up, at which point she stops, climbs on the couch… and goes to fucking sleep. Pure evil, this one.
You know nothing of cats. My cats are toilet trained, they come to their names, do not meow at night, do tricks and are very loving. You being bad with cats is not the cat's fault. If your cat isn't coming to it's name, maybe is just doesn't like YOU, specifically. XD.

These cats say , "yes, it's you not me."

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
I call shenanigans. I've cussed "Ellie" out dozens of times in 4 years, and she has never so much as acknowledged I was speaking

Yeah, what's the damn deal??? Its gotta be the most every dick move in the animal kingdom!!! Get a dog; at least when they make early morning noise they're trying save your life, not RUIN it!
I have always had a LOT of animals growing up on a farm and all, and what I mean by that is I grew up with 6 dogs, 12 cats, a ferret, hamsters, rabbits, turtles, frogs, rabbits, tarantulas, chickens, cows, goats, horses, scorpions... and more I likely just can't remember right this second. I was the kid who was always bringing home abandoned baby birds and whatever animal I found outside. Cats are by far, the easiest animal to keep. Especially as an indoor pet. You just have to know how to interact with them. I currently have 3 adult male entirely indoor cats. They never break anything or make a mess. They come to their names, sit, roll over, shake and will jump through hoops and to the top of a 6ft ladder on command. They are 100% potty trained, they are quiet at night and love to sit on my lap and cuddle.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I have always had a LOT of animals growing up on a farm and all, and what I mean by that is I grew up with 6 dogs, 12 cats, a ferret, hamsters, rabbits, turtles, frogs, rabbits, tarantulas, chickens, cows, goats, horses, scorpions... and more I likely just can't remember right this second. I was the kid who was always bringing home abandoned baby birds and whatever animal I found outside. Cats are by far, the easiest animal to keep. Especially as an indoor pet. You just have to know how to interact with them. I currently have 3 adult male entirely indoor cats. They never break anything or make a mess. They come to their names, sit, roll over, shake and will jump through hoops and to the top of a 6ft ladder on command. They are 100% potty trained, they are quiet at night and love to sit on my lap and cuddle.
Sounds like feline favouritism to me.

All those animals, and only a cat as your avatar? For Shame! :p

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Sounds like feline favouritism to me.

All those animals, and only a cat as your avatar? For Shame! :p
Yes, because domestic cats are the easiest to maintain. I like all animals, but cats are just so easy. You build the right set up, they take care of the rest. They are not all needy like dogs who have to be let out and walked and poo all over the yard. For cats, if you understand how to interact with them, all you do build a cat walk indoors and potty train them and you don't really have to do much else outside of replace some of their toys now and then , feed them and give them affection. They can use the toilet and flush it themselves. There is no disgusting cage or tank to clean like with smaller pets. cats are very clean animals, I always recommend raising more than one together so they can wash behind each other's ears and have someone to play with. Like the " my cat from hell" host has said repeatedly, it is usually a human problem rather than a cat problem, and he has never found a cat he couldn't help. It IS the humans who need help. HAHA!

If people get pets and then do not provide what that pet needs to have a happy, healthy environment and wonder why their pet's aren't happy, that is the pet's owner's fault, not the pet regardless of what type of pet it is. Dogs are really high energy and need constantly to be walked and played with. With cats, you can build a catwalk inside the house and either play with them or use automated toys and takes so much less work than dogs. People get cats and then don't build them their required jungle gym and approach cats in a threatening manner and wonder why the cats are upset instead of look at what they are doing or not doing themselves that is the cause of the problem.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
The following are the rabid comments of an avid dog lover. Feel free to disagree; you’re not wrong:

I’ll be deep in the cold ground before I lower myself to “earn the affection” of a cat. Cats are the worst. I was pretty ambiguous towards them until I moved in with my gf 4 years ago; she has one, now I hate them. Pretty sure they’re the reincarnation of someone who hated you in a past life. They don’t respond to their names, they can’t be trained to do fun tricks, they shit indoors and stink up the place and then watch with disdain while you clean it up, and my God, they can fuck right off with the 4:00am meowing sessions. Ours (well “hers,” I’m not claiming that bastard) waits until the middle of the night, places herself equidistant between our room and my gf’s son’s, and meows for no reason until someone wakes up, at which point she stops, climbs on the couch… and goes to fucking sleep. Pure evil, this one.
Hey, dogs are cute too! You can't pull me into these cat vs dog arguments no matter how hard you try! 😋 Anyhow, it's all about how they are raised. I've a cat since their birth and they wake me up every morning licking and playfully biting my face and nose, trying to get snuggles and all that. They definitely respond to their name and fuss and belly rubs. It may be partly you expecting them to be as reactive and dependent as dogs along with other factors, but they're not all the same and a less-than-optimal experience with one shouldn't be used as an indicator for every single other cat. One day, maybe you'll come across others capable of softening and broadening your perceptions of them. I respect their independence mainly, not too needy and gives you space when you need it, as long as the favour is mutually returned. 🤗

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Hey, dogs are cute too! You can't pull me into these cat vs dog arguments no matter how hard you try! 😋 Anyhow, it's all about how they are raised. I've a cat since their birth and they wake me up every morning licking and playfully biting my face and nose, trying to get snuggles and all that. They definitely respond to their name and fuss and belly rubs. It may be partly you expecting them to be as reactive and dependent as dogs along with other factors, but they're not all the same and a less-than-optimal experience with one shouldn't be used as an indicator for every single other cat. One day, maybe you'll come across others capable of softening and broadening your perceptions of them. I respect their independence mainly, not too needy and gives you space when you need it, as long as the favour is mutually returned. 🤗
Yeah I like both Dogs & Cats too, but since I have neither I interact more with cats, since stray dogs can be pretty aggressive sometimes and I never really had any issues dealing with stray cats.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Lol, typical cat person! "You'd like MINE!"

Like I told Lil Devil, my post was largely hyperbole; I'm sure not "all" cats are assholes, but I've never been a cat person. Like I said, I didn't dislike them until I lived with this one. I don't know what it is, but you're probably right; I love the dependence of a dog; I love being greeted by a waging tail and kisses; I love seeing a dog get excited when I say "wanna go for a walk" or "wanna treat." Cats (well, "the cats I've met") couldn't be more indifferent until they DEMAND something. Ugh, no; gimme Fido over Fluffy every day of the week.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Lol, typical cat person! "You'd like MINE!"

Like I told Lil Devil, my post was largely hyperbole; I'm sure not "all" cats are assholes, but I've never been a cat person. Like I said, I didn't dislike them until I lived with this one. I don't know what it is, but you're probably right; I love the dependence of a dog; I love being greeted by a waging tail and kisses; I love seeing a dog get excited when I say "wanna go for a walk" or "wanna treat." Cats (well, "the cats I've met") couldn't be more indifferent until they DEMAND something. Ugh, no; gimme Fido over Fluffy every day of the week.
Is it only 1 cat that you are using as your sample size for this? I mean I get you are mostly speaking in jest, but I mean, meeting one asshole cat made you dislike cats? I will say that meeting cats after they are adults, and established with their humans, can be more of a "I tolerate your presence" kind of thing. But I suspect if you got a kitten from a shelter, and raised it from it's So Fluffy I'm Gonna Die stage, you will find them to be way more affectionate and loving. At least that's been my personal experience, even with cats that I've lived with from roommates. Eventually they would all warm up to me, but it would be varying stages of lukewarm to room temperature a lot of the time. Then there are some cats who are instantly like "ok I lub you hooman, I now claim your lap for comfy naptime." Like my friend's egyptian/sphinx hairless cat. From day one, that cat liked me, even though he was an adult. He checked me out for like 10 minutes maybe, and then just hopped up on the couch, prowled over to me, sniffed me once or twice, and claimed my lap for snoozing. Now every time I go over there he does this within like the first half hour of me going over there.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Is it only 1 cat that you are using as your sample size for this? I mean I get you are mostly speaking in jest, but I mean, meeting one asshole cat made you dislike cats? I will say that meeting cats after they are adults, and established with their humans, can be more of a "I tolerate your presence" kind of thing. But I suspect if you got a kitten from a shelter, and raised it from it's So Fluffy I'm Gonna Die stage, you will find them to be way more affectionate and loving. At least that's been my personal experience, even with cats that I've lived with from roommates. Eventually they would all warm up to me, but it would be varying stages of lukewarm to room temperature a lot of the time. Then there are some cats who are instantly like "ok I lub you hooman, I now claim your lap for comfy naptime." Like my friend's egyptian/sphinx hairless cat. From day one, that cat liked me, even though he was an adult. He checked me out for like 10 minutes maybe, and then just hopped up on the couch, prowled over to me, sniffed me once or twice, and claimed my lap for snoozing. Now every time I go over there he does this within like the first half hour of me going over there.
No, this one cat is just the straw that broke the camel’s back. I’ve never liked cats; this just one just happens to personify everything I don’t like about them and solidified that I’m perfectly alright with not liking them. I can’t pin it down save for what I said in my post; dogs just do it for me. I’d rather play fetch or wrestle with a dog than hold a stick with a string while a cat attacks it before immediately losing interest and ignoring me in lieu of a tongue bath or the 149th nap of the day.

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
No, this one cat is just the straw that broke the camel’s back. I’ve never liked cats; this just one just happens to personify everything I don’t like about them and solidified that I’m perfectly alright with not liking them. I can’t pin it down save for what I said in my post; dogs just do it for me. I’d rather play fetch or wrestle with a dog than hold a stick with a string while a cat attacks it before immediately losing interest and ignoring me in lieu of a tongue bath or the 149th nap of the day.
I classify myself as a dog person too, but I don't mind cats. Yeah some can be assholes, but dogs can be too. But yeah, if you don't like cats, that's fine. They are far more independently wired than dogs, so they often don't really care to have interaction with humans, at least not in the way humans want to have it back with them. They express affection in different ways, that often comes across as aloofness. Like sleeping around you. The fact that a cat is comfy enough around you to lounge about, sleep, and show you it's belly, actually indicate they are pretty chill about you being around. You don't threaten them, and they can feel safe around you to relax for Nap 149 of the day. Yeah it's not very fun from the human side of things, but it is a sign of affection, for a cat anyway. And while some of them will show more overt affection like dogs (rubbing up against you, rubbing your face vigorously, etc) for my female cat at least, this happens at like 4:30 am. And while she's super adorable, when she's crawling on my chest, purring lovingly, and headbutting my face with hers in a sign of affection...it's 4:Fucking:30 am! So I find it less adorable. xD

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I classify myself as a dog person too, but I don't mind cats. Yeah some can be assholes, but dogs can be too. But yeah, if you don't like cats, that's fine. They are far more independently wired than dogs, so they often don't really care to have interaction with humans, at least not in the way humans want to have it back with them. They express affection in different ways, that often comes across as aloofness. Like sleeping around you. The fact that a cat is comfy enough around you to lounge about, sleep, and show you it's belly, actually indicate they are pretty chill about you being around. You don't threaten them, and they can feel safe around you to relax for Nap 149 of the day. Yeah it's not very fun from the human side of things, but it is a sign of affection, for a cat anyway. And while some of them will show more overt affection like dogs (rubbing up against you, rubbing your face vigorously, etc) for my female cat at least, this happens at like 4:30 am. And while she's super adorable, when she's crawling on my chest, purring lovingly, and headbutting my face with hers in a sign of affection...it's 4:Fucking:30 am! So I find it less adorable. xD
Then I guess Ellie DOES like me! (Take THAT Lil Devil!) She's always sleeping near me (ALWAYS,) and on the rare occasion she actually sleeps at night, she jumps on our bed and wakes me up kneading my feet or trying to curl up on my back. (And she loves to smell my feet. Weirdo.) But cleaning up her funky litter box, constantly cleaning her favorite spots to hack up hairballs or puke on our carpet and the AM meowing sessions... sorry, Ellie, the affection isn't reciprocated.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Then I guess Ellie DOES like me! (Take THAT Lil Devil!) She's always sleeping near me (ALWAYS,) and on the rare occasion she actually sleeps at night, she jumps on our bed and wakes me up kneading my feet or trying to curl up on my back. (And she loves to smell my feet. Weirdo.) But cleaning up her funky litter box, constantly cleaning her favorite spots to hack up hairballs or puke on our carpet and the AM meowing sessions... sorry, Ellie, the affection isn't reciprocated.
Lol, yeah it's a give and take with cats, I'll grant you that. But yeah if the cat is actually sleeping ON you, or within like arm range of you, they are actually pretty cool with you breathing in their general area. You are a safe, source of warmth for them to doze on. But given how often I've had insomnia, and one of my cats has curled up on my chest to nap, and started purring, and then I find myself waking up hours later after just passing the fuck out from relaxation, I consider it a good trade.

But yeah cats can vary a LOT. My male cat Jackson, he's about as doglike a cat as I've ever seen. He answers to his name, follows me around like a puppy, LOVES belly rubs (which I don't see too often, most cats will instinctively start to eat your hand if you rub their belly, but not Jackson, he stretches into it, starts purring, and just zones out to the belleh love.), and just overall is pretty chill. He's a huge fluffy goofball.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
You know nothing of cats.
I have one cat at the moment, and a dog.

The cat acknowledges me, sometimes comes when called, can jimmy open most doors in the house within ten seconds (from below, without turning the knob), has figured out that the laser pointer is where the red dot comes from but hasn't quite figured out how to operate it herself. Can't get her to do tricks though. We got the cat as a kitten, barely old enough to be on solid food. She was the runt of the litter, was bullied by her siblings, and kind of latched on to the male dog as a surrogate mother - he's got a little spike of fur on his chest that she even tries to suckle at a couple of times a day. If something scares one of them she'll run over to him so they can check each other out.

The dog who is 9 years old will learn almost any trick in less than a day so long as food is involved. I even taught him hand signs for the tricks he already knows so you don't have to say anything to get him to respond.

Except fetch. He refuses to fetch. I'm certain he understands fetch for two reasons - first he shoots us the most condescending look when we try to get him to fetch, like he understands but doing it is beneath him. Second, he's taught the cat to fetch. I don't know *how*, but he's managed to communicate to the cat that she should steal peppermints from the humans and bring them to him. She doesn't like them, she won't eat them, but she will get into wherever they are kept if she can find it and bring them to her dog-mommy. Last week she got it wrong and brought him a wintergreen (they look alike aside from the color, but the dog doesn't like them and we'd put the wintergreens where the peppermints were kept a few days before), which meant we found a wintergreen mint on the floor near where the dog likes to nap. Just the one, apparently the cat has learned he doesn't like the green ones.

Reactions: lil devils x

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
I have one cat at the moment, and a dog.

The cat acknowledges me, sometimes comes when called, can jimmy open most doors in the house within ten seconds (from below, without turning the knob), has figured out that the laser pointer is where the red dot comes from but hasn't quite figured out how to operate it herself. Can't get her to do tricks though. We got the cat as a kitten, barely old enough to be on solid food. She was the runt of the litter, was bullied by her siblings, and kind of latched on to the male dog as a surrogate mother - he's got a little spike of fur on his chest that she even tries to suckle at a couple of times a day. If something scares one of them she'll run over to him so they can check each other out.

The dog who is 9 years old will learn almost any trick in less than a day so long as food is involved. I even taught him hand signs for the tricks he already knows so you don't have to say anything to get him to respond.

Except fetch. He refuses to fetch. I'm certain he understands fetch for two reasons - first he shoots us the most condescending look when we try to get him to fetch, like he understands but doing it is beneath him. Second, he's taught the cat to fetch. I don't know *how*, but he's managed to communicate to the cat that she should steal peppermints from the humans and bring them to him. She doesn't like them, she won't eat them, but she will get into wherever they are kept if she can find it and bring them to her dog-mommy. Last week she got it wrong and brought him a wintergreen (they look alike aside from the color, but the dog doesn't like them and we'd put the wintergreens where the peppermints were kept a few days before), which meant we found a wintergreen mint on the floor near where the dog likes to nap. Just the one, apparently the cat has learned he doesn't like the green ones.
Cats are funny about giving gifts. The cat bringing the dog gifts means that it loves it very much and wants to help take care of it. I've trained both cats and dogs, I generally see them both about the same difficulty, just different approaches. Cats are funny though, they seem to be able to think ahead more than dogs in cause and effect. I have this one cat that keeps setting traps for the other cats, and some of them are pretty elaborate. Of course their personalities wildly vary just like humans though, you have introverts and extroverts in both cats and dogs.

Reactions: Worgen

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
See, maybe if you potty train the cat, you won't have as many messes to clean up, but you may have to wait in line to use the toilet.:D
Stop being mean to the poor little innocent kitties! If you wear the cat out before bedtime with playing they usually are not as active at night.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
See, maybe if you potty train the cat, you won't have as many messes to clean up, but you may have to wait in line to use the toilet.:D
Stop being mean to the poor little innocent kitties! If you wear the cat out before bedtime with playing they usually are not as active at night.
Ellie is 14 years old and fat; there's no teaching her anything at this point; she's trained US. And she's lazy; plays MAYBE a couple times a week for about 4 minutes before returning to her rigid eat-sleep-eat-annoy schedule. She spends most of her time laying on my gf's son's stomach while he plays Xbox.

Palindromemordnilap

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 12, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
But given how often I've had insomnia, and one of my cats has curled up on my chest to nap, and started purring, and then I find myself waking up hours later after just passing the fuck out from relaxation, I consider it a good trade.
I wonder if thats just warmth and comfort or, since you specifically mentioned the purring, an ASMR thing