Shower Thoughts MK2

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
It's painful for you? I mean... i know it can be painful IF something is wrong. (Overeaten badly in a short amount of time or slight food-poisoning i get the signal: "Yo, stomach->colon-complex here - Have some sharp pain - Attention now!" but that is not a normal occasion. )

Everything ok? Learned rhythm not in synch with your natural one (not going often enough)?
Yeah it was probably overeating, or eating something bad. Took like 3 dumps in the space of an hour, and they all looked real nasty.

But I was still curious what exactly is hurting. My colon? My rectum?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Why is pain the signal our body gives us that we need to shit? I mean it isn't always, but it can be. When we need to take a leak you just kinda feel a pressure, but it's not painful.
Because your body wants it out NOW and you aren't getting the option to screw around on this!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
If you were worried about ghouls eating your dead in cemeteries, you could presumably try poisoning the bodies, but this doesn't seem to be a thing in fiction.

(Or alternatively, replace the blood of a body with something mildly radioactive, and then use a geiger counter to track the ghouls to their lair, if the body was leaking slightly. But I'd expect you'd want something with a very short half life and that only emits alpha particles for safety reasons. Which isn't a gas.)

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
If you were worried about ghouls eating your dead in cemeteries, you could presumably try poisoning the bodies, but this doesn't seem to be a thing in fiction.
Slightly related, but man isn't bizarre how much resources are wasted on the dead? Presumably at one point in time, we'll run out of land to bury people in. The heck are we gonna do then?

Anyway, the shower thought that brought me here. Cooking is seen as the woman's role in the house, and yet, most well known chefs or cooking influencers seem to be men.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Slightly related, but man isn't bizarre how much resources are wasted on the dead? Presumably at one point in time, we'll run out of land to bury people in. The heck are we gonna do then?
Yeah, in some places cemetery plots are long term leases. London and Sydney had railways to transport the dead away to distant cemeteries because the local ones were full up, and in London you also had dodgy places offering cheap burial, because funerals were expensive. They'd secretly dissolve the flesh with quicklime and chuck the bones in the Thames.

Anyway, the shower thought that brought me here. Cooking is seen as the woman's role in the house, and yet, most well known chefs or cooking influencers seem to be men.
Lots of things are like that. Women are cooks, men are chefs, women are teachers, men are professors, women are nurses, men are doctors, women are seamstresses mean are tailors, etc.

Reactions: Absent

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Instead of dogs, we should have domesticated bears however many dozens of millennia ago. We really missed out there.

Could be cuddled up with a bear right now, but whatever.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Instead of dogs, we should have domesticated bears however many dozens of millennia ago. We really missed out there.

Could be cuddled up with a bear right now, but whatever.
There's basically a checklist of what characteristic an animal needs to be domesticated.

OTOH, we've been breeding dogs into weird forms for ages. Instead of creating tiny, funny looking breeds with health problems, we could have bred them to resemble bears.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
There's basically a checklist of what characteristic an animal needs to be domesticated.

OTOH, we've been breeding dogs into weird forms for ages. Instead of creating tiny, funny looking breeds with health problems, we could have bred them to resemble bears.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Ah, how nostalgic. I used to love the cartoon when I was a wee lad.

Cubitus, Boes, Alfred J Kwak, Calimero, Maya the Bee, Swiss Family Robinson, Nils Holgersson, many memories there.

Last edited:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I'm kinda surprised it seems no one has talked about the Linus Tech Tips drama on here...

On that note, I do wonder if big YouTuber reviewers of tech, cars, and similar industries are just fated to eventually lose touch with their primary demographic. I've seen the notion expressed not only about Linus, but for other content creators who haven't yet fucked up so blatantly.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I'm kinda surprised it seems no one has talked about the Linus Tech Tips drama on here...

On that note, I do wonder if big YouTuber reviewers of tech, cars, and similar industries are just fated to eventually lose touch with their primary demographic. I've seen the notion expressed not only about Linus, but for other content creators who haven't yet fucked up so blatantly.
You mean this?

Which happens to be 10 threads below this one at the time of me posting. Not being critical, it's easy to miss things, but you've left yourself open to some gentle mockery here.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
You mean this?

Which happens to be 10 threads below this one at the time of me posting. Not being critical, it's easy to miss things, but you've left yourself open to some gentle mockery here.
Honestly? The Off Topic forums are so dead, I rarely look through it. I only ever go here when someone replies to a thread or when I have a shower thought.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Today, I think I finally reached the same point as Brawlman, where I'm so done arguing over a particular topic that I'm just saying, "Nah" rather than keep trying to convince someone that doesn't want to be convinced.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Today, I think I finally reached the same point as Brawlman, where I'm so done arguing over a particular topic that I'm just saying, "Nah" rather than keep trying to convince someone that doesn't want to be convinced.
Don't just say "nah", make snarky comments or post emoticons, much more satisfying.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Don't just say "nah", make snarky comments or post emoticons, much more satisfying.
Oh certainly. But "Nah" is the first word before I do that. You have to understand, when I say I "go, Nah." I merely mean that I embody the spirit of Nah. I have chosen the path of living the Nah life.

Reactions: Thaluikhain

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Do you reckon if alien were going to invade Scotland, but weren't really interested in attacking anywhere else, that the UK would suddenly decide to grant Scotland independance?

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Do you reckon if alien were going to invade Scotland, but weren't really interested in attacking anywhere else, that the UK would suddenly decide to grant Scotland independance?
But what if the blancmanges turn all britons into scotsmen ?

Reactions: Drathnoxis

lostinreality

May 20, 2021
Country
UK
Is it finally time to go and get new sneakers or should I wait until I come home barefoot one of these days? The poor things will disintegrate if I have to start running.